Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ugly Win
I'm taking back all the bad things I said early on in the game. Could they have started better?  Sure, but they didn't and still won the game by 11 points.. 
It's tough to piss and moan after an 11 point win especially when the last 7 scores were all us, 3 TDs, 3 XPs and  a FG.. Yeah  that really sucks..  We should all hang our heads in shame about winning.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A gutty come from behind win with a lot to work on. Isn't that a coach's dream?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Luck had over three hundred yards but it took him 53 passes to get there.  The Colts are apparently looking to get him killed.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 06:03 PM)BengalD Wrote: Since I havent seen it yet - I'm just going to say it. That sucked.  Outside of Mixon carrying the load, and the F man making a big play at the end - that sucked.  Oline cant get it done.  The awsome pass rush that they we're supposed to - cant get it done.  85% of the game this team was on its heals.  Green turning it over - ugh!  The colts (especially their o line) were supposed to be middle of the road at best,  A d-lineman the Bengals cut because he just wasnt good enough  - goes off.   All I can say is thank goodness for Mixon and FJ. 6 and 10 here they come.  Setup for another prime time let down.  Does the groundhog day never end?

Groundhog day will end brother....

This is a patience year getting it all together after all the shit we have went through forever.

New coaches, new O-line trying to gel, young players trying to find their groove and we are 1-0.

Its all good, i will take an ugly 34-23 win i predicted. Mellow  Hum drum big things to come.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 07:29 PM)McC Wrote: Luck had over three hundred yards but it took him 53 passes to get there.  The Colts are apparently looking to get him killed.

Yes, he got lucky today...
Reply/Quote
They actually improved (well some of them) during play. After the Bodine imitation on the second play (which directly caused the INT as their DT flew right into Andy's face right when he was throwing) Price was pretty good. Redmond had a bad penalty but otherwise did his job and Glenn was money all day. The problem up front was Hart....

Defensively the DL was embarrassing for as lot of the game, failing to get any pressure and allowing big run lanes. Fortunately the LBs had good games - Brown before he left, Nickerson and especially Vigil stood tall. Austin finally had to blitz to get pressure, and supposedly with our front four that should not one needed.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 06:51 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm taking back all the bad things I said early on in the game. Could they have started better?  Sure, but they didn't and still won the game by 11 points.. 
It's tough to piss and moan after an 11 point win especially when the last 7 scores were all us, 3 TDs, 3 XPs and  a FG.. Yeah  that really sucks..  We should all hang our heads in shame about winning.. 

Exactly,

Not to mention they forgot to tell us Luck was wearing a red vest and couldn't be touched.
Reply/Quote
We don't get Bengals games down here in Florida, sadly, but the box scores were mixed for me.

Mixon was a pleasant surprise. I was resigned to a weak rushing attack and Mixon's numbers looked pretty good.

Giving up 2 sacks to Hunt? Ah, what? Hart must be asleep out there because Hunt really isn't that good.

We only got 2 sacks ourselves? That's below expectations.

We gave up a total of 75 yards on the ground? That's a definite improvement over last year and what I was expecting.

We gave up too many points.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 07:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, he got lucky today...

He really did.  Any one of the hits he took could have been disastrous.  If he's throwing it fifty times a game, he won't make it halfway through the year.

Reply/Quote
Lost our most experienced safety in first quarter, next man up great hit causing fumble and then runs in back for TD. Best LB (playing today for us) Brown gets hurt and we get through it.

We knew it would take the OL some time to gel, they were better than 2017, but work to be done. The DL needs to play better Thursday night.

1 game closer to return of Burfict.

I loved them enthusiasm of Dre, Mixon, Dunlap and others, loved the heart today.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
[Image: 365921.jpg]

And, they did, so we need to enjoy it.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Ross was nothing spectacular but caught the ball when it counted and Green couldn't. Kudos to Ross, I may just end up liking this kid.
Reply/Quote
You never really know what anybody has the first couple of weeks of the season. Great teams come out flat and garbage teams look like world beaters. The most important thing is we got the W and there didn't seem to be any major injuries. Guarantee you the Steelers would have taken that W today.

The run blocking was a lot better than we saw all preseason, but pass pro took a step back, specifically Hart and Price. Hopefully they emphasized the run game this week and will work on getting the pass pro back up to where it needs to be.

The pass rush underperformed in the first half, but part of that could have been fatigue. The Colts put together several long drives and the offense had several 3 and outs/turnovers. The D definitely played better once the offense got rolling and they had some time catch their breath.

This was good win from the standpoint that the team showed a lot of grit and mental toughness. Dalton's TD saving tackle proved to be huge. A couple of goal line stands early by the D kept the game within reach while the Colts were outplaying us by a wide margin. They came back from down 13 on the road to win going away. Overall, good W.
Reply/Quote
Play of the game AJ's fumble recovery by Boyd on the last drive. The way Indy was moving the ball they would have most likely gotten three points.
Reply/Quote
There were some uglies for sure. The biggest ugly was the reffing, imo. Awful calls although I do agree with the Williams call. That was pure stupidity. Hart was ugly against a scrub like Hunt, but forget his two sacks and numerous pressures, Hart couldnt run block his way out of a paper bag. AJ's fumbles were ugly too. We looked ugly trying to defend the screen also.

But there were more good things starting with Mixon was a beast. dunlap is a beast. Vigil looked very good. Ross got his feet wet for real. Price struggled a couple times early and then got his act together and played great. We did what we had to do to win the game. We havent won in that stadium since 97. Great win!
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 08:11 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Ross was nothing spectacular but caught the ball when it counted and Green couldn't. Kudos to Ross, I may just end up liking this kid.

Green did have a TD and 92 yds so let’s not act like he was a total bum today.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 06:06 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Wasn't ugly at all.

I'll admit that they needed a second wind after the first half, but that second half was EXACTLY what we saw in the preseason.

Line was fine; 2 sacks, not too many pressures and almost 6 YPC for Mixon? They were fine.

Overreacting a bit.

EDIT: We absolutely kicked ass the second half; look at the yards, 3rd down conversions, points scored, etc.

We'll be more than fine.

One game of the 2018 season in the books and people are already absolutely losing their $h177. Come on, man. 

It's all due to the unrealistic expectations that everyone falls into before a game is played. 

Calm the **** down people. They won a game, on the road, where they haven't won in 21 years and they had to overcome a lot to do it...and they won by 11 after being behind by 13 in the 2nd half!!

Yeesh

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 08:13 PM)Whatever Wrote: You never really know what anybody has the first couple of weeks of the season.  Great teams come out flat and garbage teams look like world beaters.  The most important thing is we got the W and there didn't seem to be any major injuries.  Guarantee you the Steelers would have taken that W today.  

The run blocking was a lot better than we saw all preseason, but pass pro took a step back, specifically Hart and Price.  Hopefully they emphasized the run game this week and will work on getting the pass pro back up to where it needs to be.  

The pass rush underperformed in the first half, but part of that could have been fatigue.  The Colts put together several long drives and the offense had several 3 and outs/turnovers.  The D definitely played better once the offense got rolling and they had some time catch their breath.

This was good win from the standpoint that the team showed a lot of grit and mental toughness.  Dalton's TD saving tackle proved to be huge.  A couple of goal line stands early by the D kept the game within reach while the Colts were outplaying us by a wide margin.  They came back from down 13 on the road to win going away.  Overall, good W.
 His effort and great tackle one on one was impressive. It also showed the team his grit once more, most QB's would not make that tackle because they have been sissified. AD gets head shots in the pocket all the time, no call for roughing, maybe one day the will protect AD like they did Luck today and always protect Pig Pen.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 06:03 PM)BengalD Wrote: Since I havent seen it yet - I'm just going to say it. That sucked. Outside of Mixon carrying the load, and the F man making a big play at the end - that sucked. Oline cant get it done. The awsome pass rush that they we're supposed to - cant get it done. 85% of the game this team was on its heals. Green turning it over - ugh! The colts (especially their o line) were supposed to be middle of the road at best, A d-lineman the Bengals cut because he just wasnt good enough - goes off. All I can say is thank goodness for Mixon and FJ. 6 and 10 here they come. Setup for another prime time let down. Does the groundhog day never end?

In this ugly win, they scored 34 points. That’s more than they scored in any game last year.
Reply/Quote
I'll take an ugly win (which this really wasn't--it was a pretty ugly 1st half) over a pretty loss every day.

Look, i was as hard and unbelieving as anyone with this team after last year ended. The game had some warts but it's the kind of win you build on. Good QB, on the road, at a place you haven't won since 1997. Gimme a slow start and strong finish (in the game and season) over the alternative every time. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote