Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ugly Win
Can’t believe it had been that long. Peyton really owned us all those years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 09:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Can’t believe it had been that long. Peyton really owned us all those years.

Yep. Never lost to the Bengals until his gimp year.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 09:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'll take an ugly win (which this really wasn't--it was a pretty ugly 1st half) over a pretty loss every day.

Look, i was as hard and unbelieving as anyone with this team after last year ended. The game had some warts but it's the kind of win you build on. Good QB, on the road, at a place you haven't won since 1997. Gimme a slow start and strong finish (in the game and season) over the alternative every time. 

The Luck Colts are a good team, some like to think we are superior, as you pointed out last win in Indy was 21 years ago.

I gave up my tickets I had got to the point I really just did not care if they won or lost. Every team that played today had weaknesses (other than Ravens), the great teams will build on the ugly (weakness), fix it and get better each week.

I loved the enthusiasm on the sidelines, I loved the never say quit mentality displayed on the road. We had a bad first half so regardless of win or lose, we saw major issues. Rather be discussing them after a win than a loss.

BTW...very tough game in 4 days against the Ravens, they looked like Super Bowl Champs today.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 06:06 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Wasn't ugly at all.

I'll admit that they needed a second wind after the first half, but that second half was EXACTLY what we saw in the preseason.

Line was fine; 2 sacks, not too many pressures and almost 6 YPC for Mixon? They were fine.

Overreacting a bit.

EDIT: We absolutely kicked ass the second half; look at the yards, 3rd down conversions, points scored, etc.

We'll be more than fine.

Line was fine?  What game were you watching?  I could've blocked Margus Hunt better than Hart and I'm 52 and weigh 175.  Didn't you see how pissed off Dalton was on a number of plays.... good grief.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 09:22 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Line was fine?  What game were you watching?  I could've blocked Margus Hunt better than Hart and I'm 52 and weigh 175.  Didn't you see how pissed off Dalton was on a number of plays.... good grief.

He was pissed at the refs for the no calls on a couple shots to the head.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 09:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He was pissed at the refs for the no calls on a couple shots to the head.

That's right
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 09:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: One game of the 2018 season in the books and people are already absolutely losing their $h177. Come on, man. 

It's all due to the unrealistic expectations that everyone falls into before a game is played. 

Calm the **** down people. They won a game, on the road, where they haven't won in 21 years and they had to overcome a lot to do it...and they won by 11 after being behind by 13 in the 2nd half!!

Yeesh

(09-09-2018, 09:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'll take an ugly win (which this really wasn't--it was a pretty ugly 1st half) over a pretty loss every day.

Look, i was as hard and unbelieving as anyone with this team after last year ended. The game had some warts but it's the kind of win you build on. Good QB, on the road, at a place you haven't won since 1997. Gimme a slow start and strong finish (in the game and season) over the alternative every time. 

We know the score Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 09:22 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Line was fine?  What game were you watching?  I could've blocked Margus Hunt better than Hart and I'm 52 and weigh 175.  Didn't you see how pissed off Dalton was on a number of plays.... good grief.

See the posts below mine.

The line was fine, stop it.

People are losing their shit, only because it was Hunt.

If it was Mack out there, nobody would've said a peep.

I guarantee that he stonewalls whomever on Thursday, you'll see.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Still need to work on the block assignments for next week: We had too many guys getting in the backfield to Dalton and on special teams
Reply/Quote
is still a win.

I am just as disappointed in this game as many on here, we should have sacked Luck more than 2 times and with the lack of offensive talent, Luck not playing for so long, Teryl Austin's unit was uninspiring, to say the least.

I keep hearing that Luck was dinking and dunking all game long and that the defense only gave up FGs and not TDs, however, I don't like the other team to score even FGs if you can prevent it. I felt we should've been able to prevent the FGs. 1st when they were "going" for it on 4th down, Lewis calls a TO because the defense wasn't prepared for them to go for it. Then giving up the underneath is a terrible idea for a QB as cold as Luck was. Don't build up his confidence and allow him to keep getting easy 1st downs.

Make him throw deep, which are low % completions anyway, and if he is holding on the ball a little longer to give his weapons time to get open then that gives our DLine more time to get to the QB. Take away the run game and make Luck beat you, I know that Luck is capable but now was the time to make him throw deep.

As far as Offense. I know Green got that beautiful highlight reel of a TD, but he has to hold onto the ball. This is why I have said that sometimes Green holds Dalton back. The line wasn't great, however it was sufficient. Price had a welcome to the NFL moment and Hart was the weakest on the line. This can be corrected, and even schemed to overcome Hart's play.

All in all, I hope this game was an anomaly for our defense. I am happy for the win and will take any win, no matter how ugly and hard fought and against any team, than a loss. The season is just starting and this could have been a wake up call to shore up any sloppy play by our guys.
Reply/Quote
There are obviously some serious concerns that could hurt us as the season progresses (Hart comes to mind), but there was also some very encouraging signs and a wins a wins a win.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Been following this team for 35 years...I'll take an ugly win any day...

Lord knows we've gifted our share...
Reply/Quote
People need to relax and enjoy a road win to start the season.

'The D-Line didn't look good' - You don't get many sacks when the QB is getting rid of the ball almost immediately. When Luck took regular, more elongated drop backs...he was getting hit.

'The O-Line is terrible' - Perhaps, but it's still much improved over the sieve they trotted out last year.

'AJ's fumbling is a problem' - To a degree, yes. But the 1st fumble the defender smacked the ball square on the nose, that's more of a great (and lucky) play by the defender. The 2nd fumble...yeah that sucked.

'The Ravens looked like SB Champs today' - Against a team starting Nathan Peterman at QB... 

Last year the Bengals went into week 3 without so much as having scored a single point through two full games. This year they opened up with a road win against a team whose winning streak at home against them was old enough to buy itself a damn beer. Indy had an emotionally charged building due to Luck's almost triumphant return. Add to that the fact that the Bengals were missing two starters on D, one of whom is among the best LB's in the NFL, and they still won. Take the wins when you get 'em, don't nit-pick because it wasn't a 46-0 blowout. They won, Pittsburgh tied the Browns, it was a GOOD day dammit!
Reply/Quote