Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uh yeah Tate can go on the practice squad (sarcasm)
(08-27-2018, 10:06 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He can develop on practice squad if he is not going to give a edge to team this year over another position player not worth it, we need to win this year not waiting for future, 

......and what has Cody Core given us that warrants his return?  If we're winning now, we may as well get rid of all of the humdrum.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 10:36 PM)Whatever Wrote: He's competing with Core for the #6 WR spot, and Core has done nothing in TC or preseason.  Core is a better ST's guy, though.  The big question is if they would dress Core for teams or Erickson as a returner and as the better WR as the 5th.  The 6th WR doesn't typically dress.  If Core won't dress, it makes no sense to keep him and expose Tate to waivers.  

Has he really been that big of a star on teams?  Shit.....seems like Fej makes every tackle.....

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 09:40 AM)Wyche Wrote: Has he really been that big of a star on teams?  Shit.....seems like Fej makes every tackle.....

Core is a decent ST's guy, but nothing special.

I would personally keep Tate, but I don't see him dressing on game day over Malone or Erickson.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 10:23 AM)Whatever Wrote: Core is a decent ST's guy, but nothing special.

I would personally keep Tate, but I don't see him dressing on game day over Malone or Erickson.

I agree with that.....

Reply/Quote
Players like Core are a dime a dozen. No offense to the guy but a dime a dozen. Tate with his ball skills may bring a specific skill set in the red zone and on critical third downs especially given the fact that Dalton is not always that accurate with passes.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 10:40 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Players like Core are a dime a dozen. No offense to the guy but a dime a dozen. Tate with his ball skills may bring a specific skill set in the red zone and on critical third downs especially given the fact that Dalton is not always that accurate with passes.

To me, the thing that hurts Andy in the red zone is his height. He has to get the ball up to get it over the line. With a short field, that makes the throws higher at the point of completion.  So, you're right, it helps to have a big target that can get up and get the ball.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 10:23 AM)Whatever Wrote: Core is a decent ST's guy, but nothing special.

ST's is where Cody Core really showed up. We know that if a WR isn't going to be out catching passes every game they had better be good on teams..  Tate hasn't really showed enough for either except early on in practice . He hasn't really been showing much at all since that first preseason game . I don't know about practice since I don't attend, but just going by the other preseason games he certainly hasn't exactly been on the fast track to the starting anything. 
We really have to look at how these young players do on ST's.. 
People love to talk about the red zone target, but who would you rather have out there when the game is on the line? Our regular starters or a 7th round bubble player who may or may not be of any consequence ? That's really rolling the dice folks.. It would be one thing if he was catching TDs in every preseason game in the red zone, but he simply isn't doing that .In fact the only TD he did haul in was thrown from almost 45 yards out from Driskle.. That's not a red zone target nor catch..  I'm all for having a great red zone target, but he has to actually do it and do it repeatedly.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 10:46 AM)grampahol Wrote: ST's is where Cody Core really showed up. We know that if a WR isn't going to be out catching passes every game they had better be good on teams..  Tate hasn't really showed enough for either except early on in practice . He hasn't really been showing much at all since that first preseason game . I don't know about practice since I don't attend, but just going by the other preseason games he certainly hasn't exactly been on the fast track to the starting anything. 
We really have to look at how these young players do on ST's.. 
People love to talk about the red zone target, but who would you rather have out there when the game is on the line? Our regular starters or a 7th round bubble player who may or may not be of any consequence ? That's really rolling the dice folks.. It would be one thing if he was catching TDs in every preseason game in the red zone, but he simply isn't doing that .In fact the only TD he did haul in was thrown from almost 45 yards out from Driskle.. That's not a red zone target nor catch..  I'm all for having a great red zone target, but he has to actually do it and do it repeatedly.. 

We're debating whether you'd keep Core or Tate.  Rarely does a game come down to one player on special teams, whereas it frequently does come down to a player making a play on either offense or defense.  

Yes, I would rather roll the dice with a potential red zone target than a special teams regular.  Plus, Core is now in his 3rd year and shown little to nothing outside of ST's.  Whose to say Tate won't get there on ST's....
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 11:01 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: We're debating whether you'd keep Core or Tate.  Rarely does a game come down to one player on special teams, whereas it frequently does come down to a player making a play on either offense or defense.  

Yes, I would rather roll the dice with a potential red zone target than a special teams regular.  Plus, Core is now in his 3rd year and shown little to nothing outside of ST's.  Whose to say Tate won't get there on ST's....

Games quite often do come down to one player or STs.. If what you say it true then why even bother debating who should return kicks, kick at all, snap the ball or anything else special teams players do? Why not just eliminate special teams altogether since no one player has an effect on the outcome of games? 
All that aside we're talking about a potential target which is not the same as proven in games . And even beyond that Auden Tate is 2 inches taller than Cody Core, not exactly towering over him.  
Look, I'm not a  huge Core fan or anything of the sort, but facts are facts. Cody Core has proven himself on special teams and Auden Tate has not. I get the whole man crush thing. That's fine and dandy, but let's not pretend Tate has done anything special either .  
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 11:27 AM)grampahol Wrote: Games quite often do come down to one player or STs.. If what you say it true then why even bother debating who should return kicks, kick at all, snap the ball or anything else special teams players do? Why not just eliminate special teams altogether since no one player has an effect on the outcome of games? 
All that aside we're talking about a potential target which is not the same as proven in games . And even beyond that Auden Tate is 2 inches taller than Cody Core, not exactly towering over him.  
Look, I'm not a  huge Core fan or anything of the sort, but facts are facts. Cody Core has proven himself on special teams and Auden Tate has not. I get the whole man crush thing. That's fine and dandy, but let's not pretend Tate has done anything special either .  

Core is a decent ST's player.  He's not a stud like Fej or Peerman.  Name one game changing play he's made on ST's.

His ST's edge means nothing if he doesn't dress on game day.  It's a waste to keep him if he won't dress over Erickson or Malone, which is unlikely.  That last spot is better used on a younger player with more upside and more years left on his deal if the player isn't going to dress.

I don't have any delusions about Tate dressing and checking in inside the 20 to be some unstoppable TD machine.  He could develop into a good red zone threat/possession WR though.  Core is what he is, which is broke dick version of Andre Caldwell.  
Reply/Quote
Well Core is out for the last preseason game. This is Tate's best shot at solidifying the last WR spot.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 01:29 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Well Core is out for the last preseason game. This is Tate's best shot at solidifying the last WR spot.

Have you caught any info on what Core's injury has been this preseason? Maybe he goes on IR, and they try him again next year. If that happens, Tate likely stays as the #6 and PS becomes a moot point.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 09:38 AM)Wyche Wrote: ......and what has Cody Core given us that warrants his return? 

Well, there was that regular season play where he went to the wrong spot and tackled our running back.....
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 09:40 AM)Wyche Wrote: Has he really been that big of a star on teams?  Shit.....seems like Fej makes every tackle.....

Man, ain't that the truth. Remember back when there were "cut Fej" threads? He's a monster on ST's.....
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 08:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Man, ain't that the truth. Remember back when there were "cut Fej" threads? He's a monster on ST's.....

He's been an absolute beast on teams.  It seemed like he made every tackle against Buffalo....and that's not really that far off from being the truth!

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 12:39 PM)Whatever Wrote: Core is a decent ST's player.  He's not a stud like Fej or Peerman.  Name one game changing play he's made on ST's.

His ST's edge means nothing if he doesn't dress on game day.  It's a waste to keep him if he won't dress over Erickson or Malone, which is unlikely.  That last spot is better used on a younger player with more upside and more years left on his deal if the player isn't going to dress.

I don't have any delusions about Tate dressing and checking in inside the 20 to be some unstoppable TD machine.  He could develop into a good red zone threat/possession WR though.  Core is what he is, which is broke dick version of Andre Caldwell.  

Yup,

I'd keep Tate over Core and not even think twice ! Tate has shown promise as a hard to defend red zone/possession guy. And when if Eifert goes down again we may well need another threat on those 3rd and goal at the 4 plays.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 10:33 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup,

I'd keep Tate over Core and not even think twice ! Tate has shown promise as a hard to defend red zone/possession guy. And when if Eifert goes down again we may well need another threat on those 3rd and goal at the 4 plays.

Like the thought on this. Tate has the hands and size already going for him, just begging to be coached up. Should be time and money well spent.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Well, when Tate is on the outside looking in take it up with the Department of Mike Brown needs to fire Marvin.  Tell em grandpahol sent ya..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
So why doesn't every NFL team have a tall receiver who can jump that would allow them to score a TD 100% of the time they are in the red zone?

Think it might not be as simple as some of you are claiming.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So why doesn't every NFL team have a tall receiver who can jump that would allow them to score a TD 100% of the time they are in the red zone?

Think it might not be as simple as some of you are claiming.

I'm not sure why people are so sure that a 6'5 WR some talk about converting to TE is going to revolutionize our red zone offense when we already have 3 TEs that are taller than him. Perhaps Tate can contribute, but I'm getting flashbacks to the whole "You can't teach big hands like Jerome Simson!"
Reply/Quote