Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Unguardable"
(08-15-2020, 06:46 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: When he was picked I understood why.

They took a huge gamble picking him so high with that many knee injuries. He has really struggled to stay healthy his entire career. I hate on him because he has so much talent and potential but he can’t play more than a handful of games in a season because he is made of glass literally

Why do you, "hate," him? What has John Ross done to you and/or your family, that causes you to hate him?

And do you know what the world, "literally," means?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 09:04 PM)kacymcbryant18 Wrote: Man, talk about polarizing! There are now three threads about John Ross. Even if they all didn't start out that way, that's where they've ended up. Thankfully the debates will be settled this year once and for all.

I think it shows just how impactful he could be (and has been on occasion).  Everyone here has different levels of optimism for him, but I don't think anyone disputes what he can do when he is healthy.  
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 11:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed.  I always thought the screen or end-around was a great way to get the ball in his hands (and to suck up the defense so they can get burned over the top), but I can also see ZT and Co. thinking "Let's get the small stuff done first and then we can expand".  I have no basis other than a hunch, but maybe Ross doesn't absorb the playbook well and they want to make sure he knows the package they want him to run before giving him more.  

Because, honestly, I always thought they wasted some easy opportunities to get the ball in his hands.  
I dont even recall Callahan or ZT using Ross in motion that much. 
Ross ran the ball 3 times for 4 yds last year. He Should have been getting the ball on jet sweeps and direct snaps 
3 times a game or 3 attempts in at least 2 games 
ZT needs to look at the film on Mohammed Sanu
From 2005. That's how you use a WR in a multipurpose role
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 11:44 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I dont even recall Callahan or ZT using Ross in motion that much. 
Ross ran the ball 3 times for 4 yds last year. He Should have been getting the ball on jet sweeps and direct snaps 
3 times a game or 3 attempts in at least 2 games 
ZT needs to look at the film on Mohammed Sanu
From 2005. That's how you use a WR in a multipurpose role

Completely agree.  The motion could help Burrow see if someone is in man coverage on him as well.  
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 01:56 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Somebody rang?

Not a huge Ross fan because I question his commitment to the team. However, I would love for him to prove me wrong.

I hope Price is one that proves many wrong,.. we need his improvement big time...
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 11:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think it shows just how impactful he could be (and has been on occasion).  Everyone here has different levels of optimism for him, but I don't think anyone disputes what he can do when he is healthy.  

I can dispute when healthy , stats don;t lie.. he disappears too much in games.... Last year was his best year.. but look at the final 4 games .. he was healthy and here are his avgs

Catches 3   Yards 45   TDs Zero...

Hope he becomes a solid player this year but even excluding his  injuries his first 3 years when he has been on the field have not proven that potential equals results......
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 12:15 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Happy to hear it, but his speed is well-known and anyone who knew anything about Ross leading up to the draft knew he had super quick feet and change of direction to go along with it.

I am probably one of the top 3 defenders of his on this board, but even I really want him to prove it on the field, not just hear it from a teammate. If anything, so it can shut up the haters and prove me right Smirk
He has to prove it in games as you said. Talent physically is great. I think an it is my opinion and only my opinion that he is scared shitless in games. He knows in practice he wont get lit up so he shows potential but im the games it seem like he worried about getting hit. I cant blame thw guy as I would run backwards but i am not a football player.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 12:35 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I hope Price is one that proves many wrong,.. we need his improvement big time...

Yes we do. He bulked up in the off-season so we know the heart is there (unless he just overate and that's Taco Bell weight). Less likely he will get pushed around as easily. 

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 01:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yes we do. He bulked up in the off-season so we know the heart is there (unless he just overate and that's Taco Bell weight). Less likely he will get pushed around as easily. 

agree... OLine to me is a much more needed position for our two 1st round disappointments to improve in.  Price means more to success to this team than Ross (we have way more talent and proven players at WR than Oline)...
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 01:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yes we do. He bulked up in the off-season so we know the heart is there (unless he just overate and that's Taco Bell weight). Less likely he will get pushed around as easily. 

Eddie Lacy's last year in the NFL was 2017.

Billy Price's first year in the NFL was 2018.

Coincidence? Has anyone ever seen Eddie Lacy and Billy Price in the same room?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 01:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: On the "Locked on Bengals" podcast yesterday, I learned a couple things about Tyler Boyd.  

One, he is one of the most outspoken players on the team.  Jake and James raved about his willingness to talk to the reporters and always be "real" with them and not just speak in cliches.  He was asked about his fellow receivers in camp and what has impressed him so far about rookie Tee Higgins, etc.  

Boyd's answers were surprising.  He referred to one of his fellow WRs as "unguardable".  He said that word several times.  Who was he talking about?  Any guesses? (Scroll down)

It was John Ross.  I also didn't know that he and Ross live directly across the street from each other.  He said that the speed and change-of-direction ability of Ross at speed makes him absolutely unguardable.  He was basing this on what he has seen this year.  He went on to talk about Tee Higgins only saying that he had not seen him run routes accept for one day, hinting that he is injured.  I guess that forced the Bengals hand a bit and they had to mention that he is fighting something (I didn't see what).  

I fell in love with Boyd when he caught that 4th down TD against Baltimore and ended their season.  I like him more every day and I think he will be a very critical piece of the offense under Burrow.  Can't wait!

In 3 years only Seattle had trouble containing Ross. All the other teams seemed to have no problems guarding him.

(08-15-2020, 01:44 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Get ready, the board haters of John Ross who openly root for him to fail will be attacking you soon.

No one is rooting for Ross to fail. Pointing out how he has consistently failed the team and fans over his 1st three season is not the same as rooting for him fails.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 02:00 PM)BengalChris Wrote: No one is rooting for Ross to fail. Pointing out how he has consistently failed the team and fans over his 1st three season is not the same as rooting for him fails.

[Image: 18jwl2.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 01:44 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Get ready, the board haters of John Ross who openly root for him to fail will be attacking you soon.

Holey shit. You just can't let go...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 02:00 PM)BengalChris Wrote: In 3 years only Seattle had trouble containing Ross. All the other teams seemed to have no problems guarding him.

No one is rooting for Ross to fail. Pointing out how he has consistently failed the team and fans over his 1st three season is not the same as rooting for him fails.

Let's look at it in games, shall we?  In the last two years, Ross played in 21 games.  In those 21 games, he had 49 receptions for 716 yards and 10 TDs.  So, despite scoring a TD every 5th reception, and having a 14.6 yards per reception (that last year was actually 18.1 yards per reception) is "consistently failing"?  He has consistently failed to stay healthy, I will give you that...as has AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, and numerous other Bengals.  

He may not always light up the stat sheet, but I am sure the likes of Boyd appreciate him drawing coverage so he can eat in the middle.  

I will point out also that there have only been 6 games where Ross and Green were both healthy on the field for the Bengals and the Bengals are 5-1 in those games.  
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 08:57 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Let's look at it in games, shall we?  In the last two years, Ross played in 21 games.  In those 21 games, he had 49 receptions for 716 yards and 10 TDs.  So, despite scoring a TD every 5th reception, and having a 14.6 yards per reception (that last year was actually 18.1 yards per reception) is "consistently failing"?  He has consistently failed to stay healthy, I will give you that...as has AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, and numerous other Bengals.  

He may not always light up the stat sheet, but I am sure the likes of Boyd appreciate him drawing coverage so he can eat in the middle.  

I will point out also that there have only been 6 games where Ross and Green were both healthy on the field for the Bengals and the Bengals are 5-1 in those games.  
Tyler Eifert never got this much hate for being injured. It's amazing. 

I've brought up.Ross 's TD catch ratio and some act like it doesn't exist. I've brought up his 18.1 YPC in 2019 
And some act like it's a typo. 
Ross has been hurt. That's fact. But last year's chest injury you can't pin on Ross. 
No one on the roster has a better TD to catch ratio on this roster 
If Alex Erickson had the same ratio his fanclub here would be prepping him for the HOF 
And on a offense that has struggled to produce TDs lately it needs all the end zone threats it can get. 
And for.the ones that claim Ross plays scared they need to show proof. 

John Ross was drafted to draw doubles away from AJ and to give this offense another weapon 
His kind of speed and open field ability was vacant on this roster when drafted
And for the armchair GMS that want to cut him this year right now who are you going to replace him with 
That can give you that same TD catch ratio. ?
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 11:04 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He balled out in Week 1 with 7/158/2... but that's the only time we've ever seen that John Ross in 3 years.

In Week 2 he only had 3/44/0 until 56 seconds left in a 41-10 game against the 2nd string D when he got a long garbageist-of-garbage-time TDs.

The other 6 games he had 17/236/0.

He was never going to reach 1,000 yards. He's more like a homeless man's DJax. 

Hey, there was a lot of garbage time last year, he could’ve padded those stats!

I can’t remember which games he played in and which he didn’t but I don’t think it’s a stretch to think he has a few more good games putting him at that 1,000 mark. It’s not like this team had a splendor of targets to throw to last year.
Reply/Quote
Stats would be better if he caught more balls thrown his way. He has shown some flashes, but for a top ten pick, he has spent more time hanging than scoring. Some garbage time TDs before going back to see the trainer makes him a bust, in my eyes.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 09:54 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Tyler Eifert never got this much hate for being injured. It's amazing. 

And honestly Eifert only had one good season. Mostly TD’s (sound familiar?). Nobody ever labeled him a bust though...

I look at Ross more of a disappointment than a bust so far. A true bust to me is someone that can’t even play in the league. Price is much closer to that than Ross, imo. I guarantee there’d be more interest in the former if/when they become available.

Reply/Quote
TD to catch ratio?... Lol.

He's scored TDs in losing efforts. Give me catches and yards... And health. They guy's missed half his games. He's invisible half the time he does play. The 5-1 record that was pointed out when Ross and AJ are both healthy had much more to do with AJ Green. He's been the biggest factor for Bengals wins of any single player. When he plays, there's a chance we can win, when he doesn't... We don't.

John Ross has played all of one good game in his career, and has some weird TD to catch ratio that isn't sustainable.... People pointing that out aren't hating. That's the truth.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 08:57 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Let's look at it in games, shall we?  In the last two years, Ross played in 21 games.  In those 21 games, he had 49 receptions for 716 yards and 10 TDs.  So, despite scoring a TD every 5th reception, and having a 14.6 yards per reception (that last year was actually 18.1 yards per reception) is "consistently failing"?  He has consistently failed to stay healthy, I will give you that...as has AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, and numerous other Bengals.  

so what you are saying is you are ok with a player that averages less than 3 catches a and less than 35 yards a game.. but gets you a TD every other game.. WOW...
Reply/Quote