Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Update On Burrow's Extension
(04-07-2023, 08:18 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: One thing that is different from comparing Joe getting paid to us common folks.  Success in the NFL is ultimately measured by championships.  

The greatest QB of all time, took discounts every year, and he is going down ad the GOAT.  Brady was never the highest paid QB his entire career.  There is an unmeasurable value to that.  

Had Brees not taken up so much of the cap on a yearly basis he may have 2, or 3 superbowls.  

Hard to say without knowing what motivates Joe.
You could say the same about this guy..

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2Mx5qXAsfhssB7m10-vL...A&usqp=CAU]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:32 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I think people expecting Burrow to take a super team-friendly deal are in for a rude awakening at this point.  They need to get this done.

I think this is the logical conclusion.  The team wanted it to get done quick and clearly it didn't.  He's going to dictate his terms and he's earned the right to do so.  

I think he's not only going to get the massive contract you'd expect a qb of his caliber to get, but also demand that the team retain his weapons.  I'd be shocked if the Higgins deal and the Burrow deal are not announced in the same week.  

He's going to get Aaron Rodgers in his prime money with an increase due cap increases.  Before he does, he's going to demand that the team doesn't give him scraps at receiver like the Packers did Rodgers.  
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 09:13 PM)samhain Wrote: I think this is the logical conclusion.  The team wanted it to get done quick and clearly it didn't.  He's going to dictate his terms and he's earned the right to do so.  

I think he's not only going to get the massive contract you'd expect a qb of his caliber to get, but also demand that the team retain his weapons.  I'd be shocked if the Higgins deal and the Burrow deal are not announced in the same week.  

He's going to get Aaron Rodgers in his prime money with an increase due cap increases.  Before he does, he's going to demand that the team doesn't give him scraps at receiver like the Packers did Rodgers.  

Burrow will demand a boatload. May not be possible to keep him surrounded with weapons. Only so mu money to go around.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 09:17 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Burrow will demand a boatload. May not be possible to keep him surrounded with weapons. Only so mu money to go around.

I think there's a reason we've gone defense with our last 6 1-3 draft picks. Need to keep the defense cheap if we're going to pay the offense. Just like our offense was cheap when we we've been paying the defense 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 09:23 PM)TheFan Wrote: I think there's a reason we've gone defense with our last 6 1-3 draft picks. Need to keep the defense cheap if we're going to pay the offense. Just like our offense was cheap when we we've been paying the defense 

Excellent point. Makes sense. The money has to come from somewhere.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 09:13 PM)samhain Wrote: I think this is the logical conclusion.  The team wanted it to get done quick and clearly it didn't.  He's going to dictate his terms and he's earned the right to do so.  

The reason Green Bay gave Rodgers scaps at WR is because they couldnt afford to bring in higher priced free agents.  Rodgers is to blame for that. If you take up so much of the salary cap there is only so much left to go around to other areas. The salary cap right now is 224 million.  If Burrow demands 55+ million, that is about 25% of the entire cap for 1 player.  You cant turn around and give Tee Higgins 25 million and Chase 30 million as you would be close to using up half your cap space on just 3 players.  Its not going to happen. 

Then Burrow needs to worry about other areas.  Does he want anyone good to block for him or is he OK with with a line full of cheaper players like say Adeniji and Scharping blocking for him?  Does he want a defense to help bail him out like they did against Baltimore and K.C. in the playoffs?  Because Burrow and the offense with Higgins and Chase and Boyd and Hurst and Mixon struggled to put points on the board and if it wasnt for the defense Cincinnati wouldnt have had a chance in either of those games.   Burrow can only demand his own salary.  Like Rodgers, if you take up too much of the cap there is a limit for what you can use the remaining money on.
Reply/Quote
the blueprint...

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 09:23 PM)TheFan Wrote: I think there's a reason we've gone defense with our last 6 1-3 draft picks. Need to keep the defense cheap if we're going to pay the offense. Just like our offense was cheap when we we've been paying the defense 

Agree, just happy we got some good Offensive weapons on top of our Defensive picks. Really like Charlie Jones, Chase Brown and 
Iosivas for the future too. Probably going to have to go DT early next Draft if DJ Reader is too much to retain as well with the Burrow,
Tee and Chase contracts.
Reply/Quote

It isn't just offense vs defense, it is gonna be anywhere we can save outside of Burrow, Chase, Higgins, and Brown. 

We just paid Pratt (2nd contract) but let Bell (3rd contract) and Bates (2nd contract, too expensive) go. Pratt (2nd contract)  was retained on a reasonable deal. 

I don't think all the vets go, but really big contracts are gonna be rare, and really big 3rd contracts even rarer. I doubt 3rd contracts for Reader, Hendrickson, Boyd, BJ Hill, Hubbard, Chido, Cappa, Hilton, and Karras will be as lucrative as the ones they are on now. There could be an exception or two. Mixon's & Collins' certainly won't be. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2023, 07:41 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: It isn't just offense vs defense, it is gonna be anywhere we can save outside of Burrow, Chase, Higgins, and Brown. 

We just paid Pratt (2nd contract) but let Bell (3rd contract) and Bates (2nd contract, too expensive) go. Pratt (2nd contract)  was retained on a reasonable deal. 

I don't think all the vets go, but really big contracts are gonna be rare, and really big 3rd contracts even rarer. I doubt 3rd contracts for Reader, Hendrickson, Boyd, BJ Hill, Hubbard, Chido, Cappa, Hilton, and Karras will be as lucrative as the ones they are on now. There could be an exception or two. Mixon's & Collins' certainly won't be. 

As long as the NFL keeps raising the cap limit, teams will be able to absorb two or three big deals as long as they are excellent draft pickers. I bet Burrow is the only Bengal who gets a third contract over the next 10 years.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2023, 11:47 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: As long as the NFL keeps raising the cap limit, teams will be able to absorb two or three big deals as long as they are excellent draft pickers. I bet Burrow is the only Bengal who gets a third contract over the next 10 years.

In terms of 3rd contracts that are more lucrative than the 2nd contracts, I agree. 

Though I think we could re-sign some guys on team friendlier 3rd contracts. Reader is one I would re-sign. I would not rule out Chido or Boyd. 

2024 Big FAs: Reader, Higgins, Wilson, Boyd, Awuzie, J. Williams, I. Smith. 
Smaller: ADG, Bailey, Tupou + all the guys on 1 year deals. 
Team option: Mixon 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2023, 07:41 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: It isn't just offense vs defense, it is gonna be anywhere we can save outside of Burrow, Chase, Higgins, and Brown. 

As long as the NFL keeps raising the cap limit, teams will be able to absorb two or three big deals as long as they are excellent draft pickers. I bet Burrow is the only Bengal who gets a third contract over the next 10 years.
Reply/Quote
If we guarantee 100% we could probably get a lot less $$$ to sign Higgins and Chase. You'd be taking a big risk that Joe stays healthy, but hey... the fans want the triplets.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 10:01 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: As long as the NFL keeps raising the cap limit, teams will be able to absorb two or three big deals as long as they are excellent draft pickers. I bet Burrow is the only Bengal who gets a third contract over the next 10 years.

Reader next year would not shock me, at all. Chido either, if it is reasonable. Less likely with Turner in hand, however. 
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 04:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Cincy Jungle posted an update on Burrow's extension negotiations, but there's not a whole lot to it that we don't already know.

It's funny because lately I've been thinking how stupid it is for these quarterback(s) to get such massive deals that cripple their team and don't give their teams much room to improve the team, especially because they're making more money than they'll ever be able to spend. Burrow actually seems like he's willing to try and help the team, even if it means taking less money or at least structuring it to help the team, but I honestly wouldn't have been that upset if he did go for the big money that would cripple the team.

It sounds like Burrow realizes that he'll extend his career and still make more money than he'll ever need and is looking to get his contract done before the others can sign and set the market where he needs to one-up them, even if he is the best of the bunch.

I'd almost offer him a small percentage ownership so he can still get paid a few million a year after he retires, but I know the Browns probably wouldn't do that and I don't know if that value would count against the salary cap, although I don't know how they'd compute that.

I like that we're trying to get it done early so he knows that we're not messing around because, I know we're usually loyal to our players, but, IMCO, this lets him know that he's pretty much in control.

More smart decisions by the front office.

Not much more in the article besides for this:

I mentioned that before and is also mentions how we're turning down calls about Tee, which that could be trying to drive the price up or keeping the squad together and keeping Burrow happy.

I LOVE THIS KID!

I LOVE YOUR SPIRIT YA' CRIP!  LMAOOOO  WAAAAAAAZZZZUUUUPPPP Ya" ROLLING STONE®?  Lol
And we need that boy signed!  NOW!
HilariousHilariousHilariousHilarious
Wink
Who DeyWho DeyWho DeyJoeJoeJoeJoe
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I think Burrow's contract will be unique in the NFL. It may be laden with business opportunities the team makes on Burrow's behalf that won't count as salary, but will be a boon to his business strategy moving forward. He's a likable guy who has (as of yet) resisted making commercials, but instead, invested into strategic businesses surrounding either his OH home and/or his sports focus.

Also wouldn't be surprised if it's a very long term contract (8-10 years), with the back end looking more affordable given the rise of future revenue sharing, tying his fortunes to the team's fortunes. Personally, I don't see him being anything like Rodgers or Brady.....as a "gun for hire". He likes it here. He has lots of ties here. I can't even seen him wanting to go to the Saints if given the opportunity.

I do agree that he and Higgins will be signed close to each other.

The rest? Mixon will come off the books. Collins will come off the books. Both, if not this year, certainly next year. Boyd will come off the books next year. If Reader has a monster year, that will be interesting as his contract will be up.

This team is young, and it's about to get younger, playing into the Burrow Super Bowl window predictions.

Bengals don't want to make the mistake the the Browns, the Jets or the Ravens made with their QBs.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 03:14 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: I think Burrow's contract will be unique in the NFL. It may be laden with business opportunities the team makes on Burrow's behalf that won't count as salary, but will be a boon to his business strategy moving forward. He's a likable guy who has (as of yet) resisted making commercials, but instead, invested into strategic businesses surrounding either his OH home and/or his sports focus.

Also wouldn't be surprised if it's a very long term contract (8-10 years), with the back end looking more affordable given the rise of future revenue sharing, tying his fortunes to the team's fortunes. Personally, I don't see him being anything like Rodgers or Brady.....as a "gun for hire". He likes it here. He has lots of ties here. I can't even seen him wanting to go to the Saints if given the opportunity.

I do agree that he and Higgins will be signed close to each other.

The rest? Mixon will come off the books. Collins will come off the books. Both, if not this year, certainly next year. Boyd will come off the books next year. If Reader has a monster year, that will be interesting as his contract will be up.

This team is young, and it's about to get younger, playing into the Burrow Super Bowl window predictions.

Bengals don't want to make the mistake the the Browns, the Jets or the Ravens made with their QBs.

He has done commercials, but only local ones

No national commercials as of yet for whatever reason

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 03:17 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: He has done commercials, but only local ones

No national commercials as of yet for whatever reason

I just haven’t seen them. They must be scarce. Then again, I don’t watch local channels, or the news, etc. I can’t even get the Reds broadcasts (which quite frankly, given the mess the team is in, has been, and by what I read, will continue to be, no loss).

I don’t get the impression Burrow wants to be in the spotlight anywhere but on the football field. He always looks uncomfortable doing those Cowherd and Maccafee interviews. Don’t see him as a spokesperson for anything other than a charity or something promoting his businesses. Could be wrong….maybe at some point we’ll see him hawking Chunky Soup, I just don’t think it’s likely.

While his contract may or may not be team friendly, I think it’s going to be quite unique with perhaps a significant portion of it unmeasurable in money.
Reply/Quote
Sounds like Mahomes is going to get a new contract and that will reset the reset.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 12:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: Sounds like Mahomes is going to get a new contract and that will reset the reset.

Weirdo behavior with that sig my man.

Reply/Quote