Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Update on Indoor Practice Facility
I was thinking I could build em an indoor facility in my shop.. Granted it would be too small to actually fit a human being much less a football into it, but they could at least say they have one! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 07:44 PM)grampahol Wrote: Just to be the devil and being my own advocate does anyone really care how "gorgeous" a weight room is? ...

If some player getting paid 200 million bucks decides they don't want to play there just because of the decorations? Ehhhh...  Ninja

(04-10-2022, 04:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yes. 

"Driving 45mph is driving 45mph."

[Image: 1408120276743.jpg]
[Image: 16025527-1970-dodge-challenger-std.jpg]

GRAMPAHOL, you are certainly right from a pragmatic point-of-view; it just doesn't account for everything else that goes into personal motivations (as I'm sure you know)... as implied by the TheLeonardLeap images. Professionals in other fields are certainly motivated by things not really relevant to performance (eg getting the corner office, that desk made out of exotic wood), why not athletes?

The other issue is that everyone is motivated by different tastes. Personally, I prefer an old-school look with "broken-in" (but clean and functional) equipment... so clearly I would be a terrible consultant for what would motivate today's youth Big Grin

As an aside TheLeonardLeap, in high school, I would have LOVED a weight room the quality equivalent to that first car you posted. Our weight room was half of an old universal machine... the car equivalent of:

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 07:44 PM)grampahol Wrote: If some player getting paid 200 million bucks decides they don't want to play there just because of the decorations? Ehhhh...  Ninja

These type of responses always miss the mark. We're talking about millionaire pampered athletes, not Joe Lunchpail at the local factory. I'm a fan of the team and want them to win. If that requires not looking like a 3rd rate organization, then so be it.

Not sure how people are fans of winning, but seem to also want owners to penny pinch and treat millionaire athletes like Bob the backhoe operator. That's not how it works.

I doubt an ugly workout room alone will turn anyone away...but if the entire locker room starts to notice "hey, our weight room is crap...oh, we also have no indoor facility...oh, they make us rent TVs at training camp" (just throwing stuff out there), you start to see enough things like that, then the team starts to develop a reputation.

Both in the locker room and beyond. Gives off a stench that you don't really care. Where are you spending your millions if it's not on giving your team the very best? How can you demand excellence from players when you offer them crap?

If this were the 1980s, I'd probably agree with you, but sports and how organizations are run have changed a great deal.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 05:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: These type of responses always miss the mark. We're talking about millionaire pampered athletes, not Joe Lunchpail at the local factory. I'm a fan of the team and want them to win. If that requires not looking like a 3rd rate organization, then so be it.

Not sure how people are fans of winning, but seem to also want owners to penny pinch and treat millionaire athletes like Bob the backhoe operator. That's not how it works.

I doubt an ugly workout room alone will turn anyone away...but if the entire locker room starts to notice "hey, our weight room is crap...oh, we also have no indoor facility...oh, they make us rent TVs at training camp" (just throwing stuff out there), you start to see enough things like that, then the team starts to develop a reputation.

Both in the locker room and beyond. Gives off a stench that you don't really care. Where are you spending your millions if it's not on giving your team the very best? How can you demand excellence from players when you offer them crap?

If this were the 1980s, I'd probably agree with you, but sports and how organizations are run have changed a great deal.

Exactly

When I was playing Jr. High and H.S. football we had to wear our helmets the entire practice and we got 1 like 12 oz. dixie cup of warm water at the midway point of practice in the 90 degree summer heat.

We've gotten a lot smarter since then and realized hydration matters. If we know it's going to be raining at the next game dunk the ball in a 5 gallon bucket of water. 

Why risk gazillion dollar a year athletes getting hurt in the cold, snow, and ice ?
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 05:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: These type of responses always miss the mark. We're talking about millionaire pampered athletes, not Joe Lunchpail at the local factory. I'm a fan of the team and want them to win. If that requires not looking like a 3rd rate organization, then so be it.

I don't think Gramps was being serious...
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2022, 07:07 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I don't think Gramps was being serious...

I've always viewed Gramps similar to Nately.

Both have their shtick. Gramps is old man humor. Nately is sarcastic slaps at the hypocrisy on here.

But both mix in actual takes from time to time. That post seemed like a serious take.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I am kind of serious when it comes to pampered millionaires.. Once they reach a certain point and hold my enjoyment of the game ransom they lose me.. It's the single biggest sticking point for millions of millions of former baseball fans.. I remember when LOTS of people walked away from the game the day it was announced that Catfish Hunter was going to be paid a million bucks and that was some time ago.. Toss is an economy going to crap, people losing their homes and way of life and ask them to pony up millions for one player who shows zero loyalty to your hometown? It ain't worth the angst .. I was still a fan when they were 2-14 so a winning record won't change how i see the dollars and sense in the grand scheme since it can easily turn on a dime with a few minor injuries or even just a temper tantrum.. 
Nobody ever paid me anywhere near that kind of money for anything in my entire life. I owe these f*ckers zilch in the long run.. 
Still..It ain't coming out of my pocket since I won't even buy a cheap ass hat from them..it's the principle of things. My old man made a pretty good living in the advertising game. He never once gave away free advertising which is exactly what sports memorabilia is.. You pay to do their advertising for them and take food off someone else's table doing so.  Not me..  Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2022, 09:04 AM)grampahol Wrote: I am kind of serious when it comes to pampered millionaires.. Once they reach a certain point and hold my enjoyment of the game ransom they lose me.. It's the single biggest sticking point for millions of millions of former baseball fans.. I remember when LOTS of people walked away from the game the day it was announced that Catfish Hunter was going to be paid a million bucks and that was some time ago.. Toss is an economy going to crap, people losing their homes and way of life and ask them to pony up millions for one player who shows zero loyalty to your hometown? It ain't worth the angst .. I was still a fan when they were 2-14 so a winning record won't change how i see the dollars and sense in the grand scheme since it can easily turn on a dime with a few minor injuries or even just a temper tantrum.. 
Nobody ever paid me anywhere near that kind of money for anything in my entire life. I owe these f*ckers zilch in the long run.. 
Still..It ain't coming out of my pocket since I won't even buy a cheap ass hat from them..it's the principle of things. My old man made a pretty good living in the advertising game. He never once gave away free advertising which is exactly what sports memorabilia is.. You pay to do their advertising for them and take food off someone else's table doing so.  Not me..  Cool

You don't now nor have you ever had a skill worth that much money. People are paid based on their skill level within their chosen profession. 
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/4/15/23026699/bengals-temporary-indoor-practice-facility-approved-by-city

Looks pretty good. Glad vote was unanimous.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
So that is temporary and they are building a permanent complex? I can't wait to see what that looks like.

It's like the Bengals are a totally different team over the past 2 years. Signing free agents, building a bubble, winning playoff games, etc. Amazing!
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 01:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So that is temporary and they are building a permanent complex? I can't wait to see what that looks like.

It's like the Bengals are a totally different team over the past 2 years. Signing free agents, building a bubble, winning playoff games, etc. Amazing!

That's what I was wondering but, either way, it's still pretty bad-ass! 

Forget being a different team because this looks like an entirely different franchise!

I'm LOVING our likelihood to win multiple Super Bowls in the upcoming years, especially if the salary cap goes up and we can keep all our weapons and add more!
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 01:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So that is temporary and they are building a permanent complex? I can't wait to see what that looks like.

They’ve got a coach they believe in his vision and focus. They want to invest in this roster. Katie is in charge. I mean really even playing into January they survived. But I really think they want to shed their previous image.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 01:37 PM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/4/15/23026699/bengals-temporary-indoor-practice-facility-approved-by-city

Looks pretty good. Glad vote was unanimous.

I'm glad they labeled the Ohio River in the picture. I had no idea what body of water the Brent=Spence was spanning. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2022, 04:43 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: [Image: H5AEfME.jpg]

WE MOVIN ON UP BABY! 

Ahhhhhhhh. I was wondering what they did with that massive tarp that covered the bridge while they painted it last year!

Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 09:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm glad they labeled the Ohio River in the picture. I had no idea what body of water the Brent=Spence was spanning. 

I had to chuckle, they put a "practice facility" label on it.... I guess someone might confuse it as PBS Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I'd say an NFL punter could hit the roof, but punters can practice outside. Their job does not involve as much physical exertion for as long as the position players.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2022, 11:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'd say an NFL punter could hit the roof, but punters can practice outside.  Their job does not involve as much physical exertion for as long as the position players.

We can just get a bigscreen TV and put music videos from YouTube on so the kickers can practice for the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote