Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update on Joe's Knee
(02-15-2022, 07:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yep. Takes a great TEAM to reach the Super Bowl.

Burrow was great in the face of constant duress, but let's be honest. If our defense isn't elite through that entire run, (19.7 ppg allowed in the AFC playoffs), we weren't in the Super Bowl.

McPherson was elite. Mixon was very very good. Chase and Higgins were great. Uzomah was great. This wasn't Allen Iverson making the Finals with a cast of scrubs. The NFL really doesn't work like that.

But apparently not good enough to see the field in the most important drive of the season.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:26 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Wrong. A franchise tag is a one year deal. They can give him another one when that one expires (and another, and another), but the salary jumps up astronomically, percentage wise. In NFL history only 7 players have been franchise tagged for multiple seasons. And they weren’t making nearly as much as Burrow so their teams didn’t take as much of a hit. Also — a player can deny a franchise tag deal, so long as they sit out for a season. So his contract has 3 more years... and that’s where it stops. 

So yeah, Burrow will be on the first plane out if the organization doesn’t get its shit together. He’s also got the clout to demand a trade at some point. Don’t think just because he’s an Ohio boy that he’ll stay loyal to the franchise. Yall need him more than he needs yall and he knows that. Everyone’s got their limits. 

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if he refuses to play if he gets sacked this many times ever again. 

Newbies. SMH.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 08:47 PM)Science Friction Wrote: But apparently not good enough to see the field in the most important drive of the season.

I saw Mixons pass blocking grade for the SB and it was really low. Thats all I can think.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:26 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Wrong. A franchise tag is a one year deal. They can give him another one when that one expires (and another, and another), but the salary jumps up astronomically, percentage wise. In NFL history only 7 players have been franchise tagged for multiple seasons. And they weren’t making nearly as much as Burrow so their teams didn’t take as much of a hit. Also — a player can deny a franchise tag deal, so long as they sit out for a season. So his contract has 3 more years... and that’s where it stops. 

So yeah, Burrow will be on the first plane out if the organization doesn’t get its shit together. He’s also got the clout to demand a trade at some point. Don’t think just because he’s an Ohio boy that he’ll stay loyal to the franchise. Yall need him more than he needs yall and he knows that. Everyone’s got their limits. 

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if he refuses to play if he gets sacked this many times ever again. 

Many wanted o-line help but Joe himself lobbied for Ja'Marr Chase to be drafted instead of Sewell. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:52 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Jonah Williams is not long time answer at LT.  Maybe he slides to guard or RT but he allowed nearly 10 sacks this year.  He is not good enough.  

Would love to sign Armstead and slide Jonah to RT personally. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 09:28 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Many wanted o-line help but Joe himself lobbied for Ja'Marr Chase to be drafted instead of Sewell. 

Seems like Joe Burrow makes good decisions so far.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 09:36 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Seems like Joe Burrow makes good decisions so far.

Never said he didn't and I was fine with Chase as well. 

Point is that Joe himself decided to go with a lesser O-line and was part of the decision making process on how to address the O-line. 

We choose to bolster WR group instead, am fine with that decision and so was Joe. 

It was a serious risk but one he himself was willing to accept obviously. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:58 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: SOME of the sacks in the beginning were on him because they weren’t letting him scramble as much. Stevie Wonder could see that this was a college football OL, get outta here with that.

They could franchise him as many times, but (1) the Bengals aren’t known for spending money (2) Burrow does NOT have to accept. If he keeps getting knocked down, I can’t see JB accepting any more time than he has to with this organization. The optics would be bad for refusing a franchise tag and he’d have to sit out the season, but no one in their right minds would blame him after getting sacked 9 times in a playoff game. There are too many better situations. 

So I hope you guys figure it out. 

History has shown the Bengals will make a franchise QB the highest paid QB in the history of the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 09:49 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Never said he didn't and I was fine with Chase as well. 

Point is that Joe himself decided to go with a lesser O-line and was part of the decision making process on how to address the O-line. 

We choose to bolster WR group instead, am fine with that decision and so was Joe. 

It was a serious risk but one he himself was willing to accept obviously. 

Letting a 2nd year qb make personnel decisions wouldn't be a good idea. He can have input, but should be just that.
Reply/Quote
All this being said you can believe one thing I want protection for Burrow as much or more as LSU guy wants it.

I just don't claim to speak for Joe who understands that a decision to draft Chase was made in lieu of drafting top O-lineman in NFL draft by the Bengals this season.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 09:34 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would love to sign Armstead and slide Jonah to RT personally. 

Yea, or trade for tunsil, or 36 year old Duane
Brown. Or Orlando brown. Or 40
Year old whit for a year.

Plus another IOL spot. This line could be transformed, quick
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:55 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I at least hope that this happened. Force their hand.

For what it’s worth, I don’t believe their hand even needs to be forced. I bet they go big on the o-like in both free agency and in the draft.

I absolutely agree, you would have to be absolutely insane not too.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Letting a 2nd year qb make personnel decisions wouldn't be a good idea. He can have input, but should be just that.

Does it matter whether he is 2nd year or 10 year? Franchise qb is franchise qb. Imagine if the packers listened to Rodgers and drafted Higgins over love.

It was the right call (Chase), but the bengals had opportunity before the trade deadline. They had to realize they were better than they planned on being. With a shot at the playoffs, and Joe getting murdered… something, anything could have been done (maybe it was).

Woods goes down - rams sign OBj
Rams traded for Miller.

I don’t think either of those players help
The bengals (maybe Von Miller) but the bengals still had a chance to bolster the OL months after chase was on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 08:47 PM)Science Friction Wrote: But apparently not good enough to see the field in the most important drive of the season.

This x 100.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Letting a 2nd year qb make personnel decisions wouldn't be a good idea. He can have input, but should be just that.

Thought it was perfect in a Covid year when many players sat out and scouts could not even get too close to players. 

So being able to ask your franchise QB about a x-teammate becoming our draft pick seems intelligent. especially one that was his favorite target whom he already had chemistry with seems logical to me anyway. Plus can ask about work ethics and everything else a scout or coach would w. 

Not to mention disgruntling your brand new toy is not very smart, we've already seen that QB's can hold a team hostage when not happy. 

Anyway maybe your right and its not a good idea, however it seemed to deliver the first playoff win in many years and a SB trip. 

Maybe it was just input but they definitely followed this inputted advice down to the letter with the 1st round selection and it certainly was the right choice.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:25 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Yea, or trade for tunsil, or 36 year old Duane
Brown. Or Orlando brown. Or 40
Year old whit for a year.

Plus another IOL spot. This line could be transformed, quick

Tunsil’s salary is top 2 for OTs in the NFL over the next two seasons. IMO, he is not a top 2 OT. You could sign two IOL for $8-10M for the same price as Tunsil.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:51 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Tunsil’s salary is top 2 for OTs in the NFL over the next two seasons. IMO, he is not a top 2 OT. You could sign two IOL for $8-10M for the same price as Tunsil.

Sure, I agree. I also know the bengals struggle to pay decent money to IOL. I think the last one we paid decent money to was Bobbie Williams.

Tunsil may be last resort, but I’d do that before running it back with what we had. Pay his salary for 2 years and figure it out. But Tunsil salary + burrows for the next 2 years is 60% of what burrows will
Be after that. About 50m
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 07:01 PM)pdub2005 Wrote: Kinda harsh, I think he is just trying to communicate his frustration with how the Bengals have approached protecting Burrow. I think we can all agree that we want Burrow upright and throwing bombs.

It’s not harsh at all. That poster has been on here throwing out overly dramatic hot takes since they joined. So far we’ve got such gems as “Chase is a bust” and “Burrow might force his way out of Cincinnat if this continues.” Like anyone even remotely familiar with Joe would believe that for a second.

Anyway, good news about this not being anything serious. Looking forward to Joe finally having a real offseason for the first time.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 11:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s not harsh at all. That poster has been on here throwing out overly dramatic hot takes since they joined. So far we’ve got such gems as “Chase is a bust” and “Burrow might force his way out of Cincinnat if this continues.” Like anyone even remotely familiar with Joe would believe that for a second.

Anyway, good news about this not being anything serious. Looking forward to Joe finally having a real offseason for the first time.

A full offseason with a retooled OL. That’s something where we may see some records fall. And I don’t care if it’s 17 games and not 16. Lol
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 09:28 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Many wanted o-line help but Joe himself lobbied for Ja'Marr Chase to be drafted instead of Sewell. 

An OL rookie was not gonna save this OL. They take time to develop. Should’ve done a better job in FA or trades. I suspect they will after this season. OL was basically the laughing stock of the NFL not to mention pretty much every media outlet. 

I just confirmed that JB actually has to fulfill the remainder of his contract (obviously) and 2 franchise tags before he can be a FA. I know they were in the Super Bowl but the dude almost ended his career getting there. That can’t fly.
Reply/Quote