Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated: Brandon Wilson listed as S, Carl Lawson as LB
Marvin was on Sirius yesterday morning and spoke of Wilson solely as a DB.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 09:48 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I agree. Barring injury...

PJ Dawson GONE
Marquis Flowers GONE
Brandon Thompson GONE/IR
DeShawn Williams GONE
Pat Sims 
Marcus Hardison GONE/IR
Cedric Peerman GONE
Wallace Gilberry 
Bene Benwikere GONE

I figure Gio to go on PUP and Peerman to have his spot during that time.

(05-04-2017, 07:39 PM)PDub80 Wrote: They cut Quan Cosby, who led the entire NFL in punt return yardage as a rookie in 2009, setting, I think a Bengals team record that year? And Marvin LOVED that guy.

But they didn't cut him the season after that performance.  He was released in 2011 after final cuts when they picked up Tate off of waivers.
Reply/Quote
Now I never watched many Seahawks or Raiders games, but isn't Lawson suited for a Bruce irvin type of role?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 10:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Marvin was on Sirius yesterday morning and spoke of Wilson solely as a DB.

Wonder if he has any shot at getting snaps at S.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 09:13 PM)J24 Wrote: This and he is #1 backup at slot behind Boyd

You don't think Ross would be the backup at the slot?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 10:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Marvin was on Sirius yesterday morning and spoke of Wilson solely as a DB.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 10:46 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Now I never watched many Seahawks or Raiders games, but isn't Lawson suited for a Bruce irvin type of role?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

According to Willie Anderson, Carl Lawson is like David Pollack and could be used in the same role.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/05/is_carl_lawson_next_in_the_lin.html

Willie Anderson Wrote:I texted (Cincinnati coach) Marvin (Lewis) before they drafted and said this is kind of a David Pollack-like guy. We all know Marvin fell in love with David Pollack about David's abilities before David got hurt. So I think Carl's kind of the same type guy.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Gunther plays more than just a 4-3 alignment, He plays 4-3 pre-snap most of the time, but then ends up with 3 lineman rushing, 5 rushing and needs different skill sets to use to confuse the OC and opposing QB. I think speed guys like Lawson and Willis add to his toolbox as they are not needed as 3 down defensive players right now, but they could get 15 to 25 snaps a game helping keeping our 3 down guys rested.

I love the speed we added on both sides of the ball. The more I read about Wilson, the more I like as well. I think he can walk in day one and be a great ST player with the ability to return kicks or punts as well as be a gunner. In addition, he could be that hybrid type corner/safety on passing downs.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 10:44 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I figure Gio to go on PUP and Peerman to have his spot during that time.

But they didn't cut him the season after that performance.  He was released in 2011 after final cuts when they picked up Tate off of waivers.

- Great observation on the Gio/Peerman situation. All accounts I've heard (radio) and read are that Gio is way ahead of schedule, but let's be real here. The Bengals typically, and rightfully so, IMO, tend to go the safe route with major injuries.

- Regardless of Cosby's timetable, there's no written rule that they have to wait two years to cut a leading special teamer. That was just Cosby's situation and the one I could most liken to Erickson. I think that Erickson is a much better receiver and returner than Cosby was, which is why I don't think it's an automatic cut. There's a lot of strong potential in Erickson all around. My point was that the Bengals value return men some, but unless the guy is a monster they are willing to cut ties if the numbers make it so.

I think that that point we both can agree on is that, given more dynamic, versatile talent, they aren't going to keep JUST a return man unless he's really killing it. Cosby wasn't killing it. Erickson looks to be a better WR than Cosby AND he is dangerous as a returner. He was a rookie last year. Not sure they just walk away from him.

That being said, Brandon Williams is intriguing. I can see the Bengals keeping him and an extra WR while letting a LB walk. They have changed their scheme quite a bit in terms of how LBs are used - often times playing with just 2. I'm curious to see if they can run with a lower number there on the 53, allowing them to keep an extra WR.

Fun fact: Erickson & Cody Core avg. the exact same YPC (11.8) as rookies. Since he is a strong returner, I think Erickson might be the last WR they keep if it comes down to those two. That makes sense to me.

I think it's awesome that the Bengals had a ho-hum WR group last year and now, with the addition of Ross and Malone, the future is looking good!
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 09:47 AM)PDub80 Wrote: - Great observation on the Gio/Peerman situation. All accounts I've heard (radio) and read are that Gio is way ahead of schedule, but let's be real here. The Bengals typically, and rightfully so, IMO, tend to go the safe route with major injuries.

- Regardless of Cosby's timetable, there's no written rule that they have to wait two years to cut a leading special teamer. That was just Cosby's situation and the one I could most liken to Erickson. I think that Erickson is a much better receiver and returner than Cosby was, which is why I don't think it's an automatic cut. There's a lot of strong potential in Erickson all around. My point was that the Bengals value return men some, but unless the guy is a monster they are willing to cut ties if the numbers make it so.

I think that that point we both can agree on is that, given more dynamic, versatile talent, they aren't going to keep JUST a return man unless he's really killing it. Cosby wasn't killing it. Erickson looks to be a better WR than Cosby AND he is dangerous as a returner. He was a rookie last year. Not sure they just walk away from him.

That being said, Brandon Williams is intriguing. I can see the Bengals keeping him and an extra WR while letting a LB walk. They have changed their scheme quite a bit in terms of how LBs are used - often times playing with just 2. I'm curious to see if they can run with a lower number there on the 53, allowing them to keep an extra WR.

Fun fact: Erickson & Cody Core avg. the exact same YPC (11.8) as rookies. Since he is a strong returner, I think Erickson might be the last WR they keep if it comes down to those two. That makes sense to me.

I think it's awesome that the Bengals had a ho-hum WR group last year and now, with the addition of Ross and Malone, the future is looking good!

Agreed...
Reply/Quote
Most teams are in a nickel defense most of the time. I see Lawson as a strong side LB on 15% of his snaps, and rusher in the nickel.

I see Wilson as a special teams guy....hopefully a faster Peerman

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 08:33 AM)McC Wrote: Wonder if he has any shot at getting snaps at S.

Our coaches did not appear to have a lot of faith in our backup safeties (Smith, Fejedelem) last year.  They barely played any snaps on defense except when someone was injured, and we even played Shaw some at safety.

If Wilson is even close to Smith or Fejedelem as a safety then his return skills might win him a roster spot.

And once they start practicing it doesn't matter where they were drafted.  We got Iloka at the very end of the 5th round.  Not that much different from Wilson in the 6th.

You never can tell which of these late round guys are going to blossom in the NFL, but there are always some that do.
Reply/Quote
I think both of these guys were major steals.

Wilson is a freak athlete, i think he could be a great ST'er year one. Peerman better watch his spot cause this guy can return and tackle.

Even though Erickson was great last year as a Returner this guy can do a lot of things. We will see.

Lawson is one hell of a physical pass rusher with smarts. Both of these guys are insanely versatile.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 08:35 AM)McC Wrote: You don't think Ross would be the backup at the slot?

I think Ross is a flanker who will play some slot but no I don't think he is a pure slot guy like Erickson is.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2017, 03:16 PM)J24 Wrote: I think Ross is a flanker who will play some slot but no I don't think he is a pure slot guy like Erickson is.

Thing about Ross is, he catches a slant and a guy misses a tackle, he has take it to the house ability.  I think Erickson is absolutely on the bubble.  We now have faster guys who can do what he does.

Reply/Quote