Ja'Marr Chase
Kyle Pitts
Penei Sewell
Other (specify in comments)
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Updated Poll: Who At #5 Overall?
(03-31-2021, 10:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who do you really hope is there at 38 if we don’t go OL at 5?

Alijah Vera-Tucker or Sam Cosmi

If they get Chase and one of those two... it'd be easier to take.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 10:42 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So he is the perfect Bengal prospect.

Not super athletic - Check

Not a lot of ceiling - Check

And then there is this.... He’s more impactful in the run game than he is in pass protection. That'll do extremely well in an offense that is as pass happy as we are... 

I'll say it again, this would just be a typical Bengal move... pass on the lock with huge upside, to settle for a guy that doesn't fit the scheme.

No...that's not what i was saying.

Have you watched any tape on him, at all?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 10:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No...that's not what i was saying.

Have you watched any tape on him, at all?

Saw both Clemson games but no, I haven't watched much tape. But, I've read on here from people in favor of taking him that he isn't super athletic and that is a common theme on his draft profiles as well as that he is more impactful in the run game then the pass game. 

If we are going to be a pass heavy offense, we need guys with quick feet that can get back and fend off the speed rushers and be able to move and recover. Unless you are drafting him as a guard only... 

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 10:49 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Saw both Clemson games but no, I haven't watched much tape. But, I've read on here from people in favor of taking him that he isn't super athletic and that is a common theme on his draft profiles as well as that he is more impactful in the run game then the pass game. 

If we are going to be a pass heavy offense, we need guys with quick feet that can get back and fend off the speed rushers and be able to move and recover. Unless you are drafting him as a guard only... 

But...why wouldn't you watch how he actually plays on the field, then take what you've read and see where they mesh and where they miss?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 10:53 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: But...why wouldn't you watch how he actually plays on the field, then take what you've read and see where they mesh and where they miss?

I saw him in both Notre Dame vs Clemson games. Just didn't jump off the page in either game. Especially late in the championship game when Clemson went up and Notre Dame was in pass heavy mode, he was getting pushed back, often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od-WtcFDNZE

I'm sure he'll be okay, but again I'm so over plugging "okay" guys on the line and hoping it fixes it.

How many years now have we been trying to fix the line and failing? Sewell may not be a HoF guy, but his floor would still be the best player on our offensive line right now. How do you pass that, when for years you have been unable to develop anyone to play on that line. Instead you have to go out and get Spain, XSF and Reiff to try and plug the holes. Williams may be good... but right now, he is an injury concern. 

Meanwhile, you've shown as recently as last season, that you can find a good skill position guy in round two, take him groom him and quickly turn him into a really good weapon.

If you have proof that you can develop a guy at one position and have a good history with it (outside of John Ross... just such a waste) why not address the spot you have struggled with so badly...

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 10:53 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: But...why wouldn't you watch how he actually plays on the field, then take what you've read and see where they mesh and where they miss?

Watched this film as well and even more so now, I believe what I've read and what I see.

When it is run blocking, he is stout and gets good push. When it is pass blocking, he gets taken backwards to the QB or beat way too often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlURF9NLUuM

And before anyone goes.. it was against Alabama and they are great... yes, and we play teams in Pitt, Cleveland and Baltimore that have attacking defenses like that. We need guys on the OL that are able to hold up in a pass heavy offense not a run first attack.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 11:23 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Watched this film as well and even more so now, I believe what I've read and what I see.

When it is run blocking, he is stout and gets good push. When it is pass blocking, he gets taken backwards to the QB or beat way too often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlURF9NLUuM

And before anyone goes.. it was against Alabama and they are great... yes, and we play teams in Pitt, Cleveland and Baltimore that have attacking defenses like that. We need guys on the OL that are able to hold up in a pass heavy offense not a run first attack.

Have you watched Sewell’s tape vs Auburn? None of these guys have perfect tape.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 11:11 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I saw him in both Notre Dame vs Clemson games. Just didn't jump off the page in either game. Especially late in the championship game when Clemson went up and Notre Dame was in pass heavy mode, he was getting pushed back, often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od-WtcFDNZE

I'm sure he'll be okay, but again I'm so over plugging "okay" guys on the line and hoping it fixes it.

How many years now have we been trying to fix the line and failing? Sewell may not be a HoF guy, but his floor would still be the best player on our offensive line right now. How do you pass that, when for years you have been unable to develop anyone to play on that line. Instead you have to go out and get Spain, XSF and Reiff to try and plug the holes. Williams may be good... but right now, he is an injury concern. 

Meanwhile, you've shown as recently as last season, that you can find a good skill position guy in round two, take him groom him and quickly turn him into a really good weapon.

If you have proof that you can develop a guy at one position and have a good history with it (outside of John Ross... just such a waste) why not address the spot you have struggled with so badly...

I'll be more than happy with Sewell and Bateman (if he makes it that far) or Moore. Or whatever WR they end up getting. 

Either way, you're getting one outstanding talent and one really good talent.

I get what you're saying but the guy they get in rd2--on oline--isn't going to be some Hart/Og/Fisher type player. There are going to be legit oline guys there in the 2nd and even some good development guys in the 3rd. 

However the 1st round goes, i'm hoping for a double dip in the first 3 rounds. WR/Oline/Oline or Oline/WR/Oline.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Have you watched Sewell’s tape vs Auburn? None of these guys have perfect tape.

I know that, but in that situation you are comparing a kid with growth room to a Senior that is viewed by every expert as at his ceiling.

Also, there is something to be said for Sewell's athletic ability in that bad tape. When he gets beat, he is athletic enough to recover several times, that is impressive.

And even in the pros, the best tackle and guard are going to get beat, it just happens. I just didn't like seeing the guy pushed back into the QB over and over against Clemson and Alabama in obvious passing situations.

If we were a run heavy team, I'd be sold on him. He certainly looks super aggressive as a run blocker, but that isn't the type of team we are.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Answer the question by answering this:

You know what you know now and you have the choice of drafting:

Tony Gonzalez

Jerry Rice

Johnathan Ogden

Who do you take?

Ogden
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 01:54 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Should be - Sewell

Will be - Chase

This!!!!!
Reply/Quote
Switching my vote from Sewell to Chase.

I've said all along that we need to keep Burrow protected and that should be our #1 priority, but we've upgraded our line a decent amount, we can still get a solid tackle in the second or later, there will be good players cut that we could pick-up if needed, Chase is a unique talent, he already has chemistry with Burrow, and we want to keep Burrow happy, especially this early in his career.

He may not be 6'6, but he's aggressive and he goes up for contested balls and makes plays!

He's great at running routes, so he'll be exactly where Burrow needs him to be, even more-so since they already have chemistry, and they'll also be able to improvise if a play breaks down.

He's an alpha dog! He performs best on the big stage and wants the attention and wants to be the one making plays! We need arrogance in our #1!

GIVE ME CHASE!
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 08:17 PM)BFritz21 Wrote:  we can still get a solid tackle in the second or later,

most likely not though
Reply/Quote
Let's not forget that Zac went in person to watch Penei Sewell, same as he did Kyle Pitts..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The only times this team has been worth a damn they’ve had a good line. The interior o-line is the league’s worst. Reiff is on the downhill glide path and only on a one year deal. Jonah is hurt too much. Spain XSF are bottom of the barrel starters on a good day, and backups on all others. Hopkins was an okay starter, but is coming off of injury. The backups are stooges. This line is still a bottom 5-6 unit, and that’s being charitable.

The NFL is a QB-driven league. Protect your franchise player. Maximize his availability in the cheap rookie deal years. Open up rushing lanes for your overpaid running back. Fix the damn line. Start fixing it with a lineman at 5. Draft another one in the early second to upgrade center/guard. Draft a Dwayne Eskridge/Jalen Darden type WR in the 3rd.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I take Sewell at #5 and I don't even think about it. Literally nothing has changed in the past few months about their performance on the football field. Just pure propaganda to mimic a stock exchange around the NFL Draft.

If you'd told me in January that the Bengals were going to take a pass-catcher despite not addressing (or not being able to address) the OL in free agency, I wouldn't have believed you. Yet here we are. It's mind-numbing.

I hope Penei crushes his pro day today but in reality I know that there's nothing he can do. I think this is more about people being bored with his name atop the Big Board for so long than it is about anything else, and he can't test his way out of that. I just hope those same people get bored with Ja'Marr Chase or Kyle Pitts by the time we get to April 29. I wouldn't put it past them/us lol.
Reply/Quote
PFF write up on Kyle Pitts. Good read.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-florida-kyle-pitts-is-the-best-receiving-prospect-in-the-draft
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote