Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urge to get outdoors
When I was younger, I spent a lot of time outdoors. Then I got a "real job" and a wife (who doesn't like the outdoors much) and then that dropped off. The past couple of years, though, I've just had this itch to get back out there. Over the weekend, I got a fishing license and now it's all I can think about. I know of a nearby lake where I can go sit with a cooler of beer and fish all damn day. It's all I can think about doing right now. Makes work difficult.

Anyone else had those times where they just couldn't think of anything else than fishing, or really any other outdoor activity, and it made work so difficult?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 11:06 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: When I was younger, I spent a lot of time outdoors. Then I got a "real job" and a wife (who doesn't like the outdoors much) and then that dropped off. The past couple of years, though, I've just had this itch to get back out there. Over the weekend, I got a fishing license and now it's all I can think about. I know of a nearby lake where I can go sit with a cooler of beer and fish all damn day. It's all I can think about doing right now. Makes work difficult.

Anyone else had those times where they just couldn't think of anything else than fishing, or really any other outdoor activity, and it made work so difficult?

Constantly, mostly about this spot in the woods I always used to go with my first real girlfriend. Indoor, outdoor, backdoor. Ah.

But, yeah, I spend most of my time outdoors since I changed jobs last December. Either outdoors covering games or doing photos, or just enjoying the scenery. Taking my daughter on a hike lbl in a bit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It is like an urge for me also. It is from being couped up all winter looking out the window. I almost went to Indy 500 this weekend, I didn't unfortunately. But main reason was to just be outside for an afternoon. I feel that way when I golf. I obviously want a good score, but just being out there is relaxful.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 11:06 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: When I was younger, I spent a lot of time outdoors. Then I got a "real job" and a wife (who doesn't like the outdoors much) and then that dropped off. The past couple of years, though, I've just had this itch to get back out there. Over the weekend, I got a fishing license and now it's all I can think about. I know of a nearby lake where I can go sit with a cooler of beer and fish all damn day. It's all I can think about doing right now. Makes work difficult.

All the time !

I love doing anything outside. Hunting, fishing, gardening, cutting grass, metal detecting, mushroom hunts, playing whatever, doesn't matter I grew up more or less in the country and it's what I've done my whole life. Garden is taking up a bunch of my time now.

A youngster came up to me at work the other day he's probably 24 or so, put his arm up against mine and said man your dark ! I said I don't spend a lot of time playing video games, haha.
Reply/Quote
I never used to appreciate the great outdoors as I do now. After years living in a big city and wasting away at a desk job, being outside at a lake, hiking trail, camping, etc., is where one can truly find that inner balance if that makes sense. And to be honest, I think if everyone had the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors and actually do so, then this world would be a better place. Not trying to preach or rant, but too many people are caught up in the artificial world created around them, that many seem to forget that there is a real natural world out there.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 12:53 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I never used to appreciate the great outdoors as I do now. After years living in a big city and wasting away at a desk job, being outside at a lake, hiking trail, camping, etc., is where one can truly find that inner balance if that makes sense. And to be honest, I think if everyone had the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors and actually do so, then this world would be a better place. Not trying to preach or rant, but too many people are caught up in the artificial world created around them, that many seem to forget that there is a real natural world out there.

I think I took it for granted when I was younger. I spent so much time outside when I was a kid and into my teens. There wasn't a weekend where I wasn't hunting, fishing, hiking, or camping. Whether it was with family, friends, or Scouts. Where I live, I can drive less than thirty minutes west and be in a national forest, same distance to the east and I am in a national park (with a stretch of the AT), and that isn't taking into account all of the other forested land surrounding me. I live in a "city", but it's surrounded by agricultural land and forests. We have some of the best trout streams, wild and stocked, just down the road (unfortunately, Mossy Creek is a bit high and muddy, right now). We get so many deer in the parks the city issues archery permits for taking some out each year, which considering it is illegal to fire a weapon of any sort in the city is saying something. Our county has the highest bear kill each year. We have I don't know how many camps in the county that operate all summer long. Golf courses, shooting ranges, ski slopes, you name it.

Tl;dr: I live in a great place if you're a fan of outdoor activities.

I got fat(ter) and lazy as I got older, and I need to reverse some of that and get back out there.

Just so you can see what I was dealing with this weekend and why I couldn't really get out there:
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 12:53 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I never used to appreciate the great outdoors as I do now. After years living in a big city and wasting away at a desk job, being outside at a lake, hiking trail, camping, etc., is where one can truly find that inner balance if that makes sense. And to be honest, I think if everyone had the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors and actually do so, then this world would be a better place. Not trying to preach or rant, but too many people are caught up in the artificial world created around them, that many seem to forget that there is a real natural world out there.

Oh yes Millz !

People don't neighbor anymore and it's sad. I bet I knew every neighbors name and had talked to, worked with, played with, ate supper with 80-90% of the 15-20 houses/families within few hundred yards of my home place. We were always out back doing something and the neighbors joined in or we joined them.

When I was like 13 me and my buddies would get up at daylight in the summer and go down to the creek seining minnows and be out at the local ponds/lakes crappie and bluegill fishing at like 7 AM, fillet em up and have lunch.

Can you see todays kids doing that ?
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 04:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Can you see todays kids doing that ?

There are kids today who still do that.  My niece and nephew have boys that are about 11-12 and they would rather come to my moms farm for vacation than go to the beach.  They have all sorts of "survival gear" and BB guns.  They spend all day in the creek and woods.
Reply/Quote
I used to go camping all the time, but could never stand fishing. It was too much trouble and aggravation, and I got bored to quickly.

My Mom and Dad always fished together. They were both in their eighties and still fishing when my dad died two years ago. My mom misses it so much that I try to take her when I have time. She'd spend all day in that boat if she could. Sometimes she goes by herself to fish from the bank, but she can't walk to the good sights like she used to.
Reply/Quote
I've been lucky.  I live less than an hour from the Smoky Mountains which have some of the best hiking anywhere, and I lived in Colorado a few years and camped in some amazing sites there and in Utah.
Reply/Quote
Never been an outdoors-man. But I do ride motorcycles. It is very hard on sunny days being at work and looking out the window at the bike just sitting there longing you be driven down a winding scenic route.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The secret to getting outside is complicated. You first have to open the door then walk through from inside to outside.. Don't tell anyone because this has been a highly guarded secret for a long time. I don't want to be known as the snitch who spilled the beans .
The ONLY time I go fishing is when the Bengals are losing which is as anybody who is anyone knows is how they pull it off and win games they were previously losing ..  
I do spend quite a bit of time outdoors working in the garden, cutting grass, watering grass, looking at grass and doing grassy things as well as growing flowers and assorted vegetables and some fruits.  And cutting down and trimming the gazillion bushes and hedges around the yard.   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I get outside a lot in the fall, and early spring. But as far as summer with the heat and humidity, my outdoor activity is pretty much limited to cutting the grass. I'm just not a hot weather person.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote

Your hunger for fishing is awesome. I hate fishing because it's boring to me and plus I suck at it. But I get what your saying. Time to be you for awhile from the outside BS in the world. I read once (can't say where) that men need there escape. I have my mancave, my wife hates it (we'll, she says she doesnt, but hate's how I sometimes stutter when I come back from it). However, I think a lot and have an overactive mind. I need a place sometimes where I can go, be comfortable, and forget what a horrible shitty day I had, or work through a failure or a goal slightly missed. But it's got to be my time. 

There are times my wife comes out with me and although I do enjoy those times greatly, I can't dive into the issues I face because I'm distracted. Solace can be a great rebuilding tool for a man. Life does tear us down and if you don't take the time to re-energize by having it, you can crash and burn by being overwhelmed with it all. 

Go fishing brother.

Reply/Quote

Have you ever considered getting a vacation rental, on a lake or near a river where you would like to fish?  There are some amazing deals on beautiful cabins and houses, on sites like VRBO and Airbnb.com.  I have found some awesome lake houses and such for under $100/night. It could be good for you and the wife. She could relax in the house while you fish, and most Mountain towns have a nice downtown district for shopping, eateries, pubs and such.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Going to be heading to Colorado next week. Taking my daughter and her best friend. Our agenda:

Riding ATVs
Sand boarding in Sand Dunes Natl Park
Swimming in the hot springs pool
Painting the mountains
real drive in movie
Hunting Prairie Dogs
Grilling out with grass fed beef from my aunts cattle

We are all looking forward to it.
Reply/Quote
There are Adult Summer Camps now lol. I've been thinking of starting my own calling it a "real farming experience" and letting people pay me 500 to 700 for 5 days to put in my hay.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2018, 08:10 AM)Synric Wrote: There are Adult Summer Camps now lol. I've been thinking of starting my own calling it a "real farming experience" and letting people pay me 500 to 700 for 5 days to put in my hay.

The sad part is, you might actually need that money, so that you can hire people that have actually done that chore before, just so the job get's done right.   LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2018, 08:19 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The sad part is, you might actually need that money, so that you can hire people that have actually done that chore before, just so the job get's done right.   LOL

Lol stacking a few thousand square bails shouldn't be too hard.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2018, 01:55 PM)grampahol Wrote: The secret to getting outside is complicated. You first have to open the door then walk through from inside to outside.. Don't tell anyone because this has been a highly guarded secret for a long time. I don't want to be known as the snitch who spilled the beans .
The ONLY time I go fishing is when the Bengals are losing which is as anybody who is anyone knows is how they pull it off and win games they were previously losing ..  
I do spend quite a bit of time outdoors working in the garden, cutting grass, watering grass, looking at grass and doing grassy things as well as growing flowers and assorted vegetables and some fruits.  And cutting down and trimming the gazillion bushes and hedges around the yard.   

I currently live in an apartment, which is the problem for the outdoor activities you mention. Though this should be the last year of that for me. Though because of health issues with my parents, I will probably be doing some mowing and gardening for them, this summer.

(06-03-2018, 02:33 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I get outside a lot in the fall, and early spring. But as far as summer with the heat and humidity, my outdoor activity is pretty much limited to cutting the grass. I'm just not a hot weather person.

I can handle heat outside. If I'm inside, I want it cool, but I spent 9 weeks of my summers when I was younger outside. Slept in a canvas tent for those weeks. I think one of the reasons I want to get back out there is because I feel like I'm losing my edge. LOL

(06-03-2018, 03:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Your hunger for fishing is awesome. I hate fishing because it's boring to me and plus I suck at it. But I get what your saying. Time to be you for awhile from the outside BS in the world. I read once (can't say where) that men need there escape. I have my mancave, my wife hates it (we'll, she says she doesnt, but hate's how I sometimes stutter when I come back from it). However, I think a lot and have an overactive mind. I need a place sometimes where I can go, be comfortable, and forget what a horrible shitty day I had, or work through a failure or a goal slightly missed. But it's got to be my time. 

There are times my wife comes out with me and although I do enjoy those times greatly, I can't dive into the issues I face because I'm distracted. Solace can be a great rebuilding tool for a man. Life does tear us down and if you don't take the time to re-energize by having it, you can crash and burn by being overwhelmed with it all. 

Go fishing brother.

Yeah, I don't have any of those escapes, right now. We are going to be house hunting this year and I hope that I'll be able to do something like that.

(06-03-2018, 08:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Have you ever considered getting a vacation rental, on a lake or near a river where you would like to fish?  There are some amazing deals on beautiful cabins and houses, on sites like VRBO and Airbnb.com.  I have found some awesome lake houses and such for under $100/night. It could be good for you and the wife. She could relax in the house while you fish, and most Mountain towns have a nice downtown district for shopping, eateries, pubs and such.

I have a hard time justifying that. I mean, I've considered it a lot, but the issue is that I live in an area surrounded by places to hunt and fish. It's kind of hard for me to justify spending money like that when I live in this area and we are strapped for cash.

Reply/Quote