Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of derogatory names for politicians and groups of people
(03-06-2024, 08:10 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We can all do better. 

Considering the Republican Party leader would be banned from this forum because his favorite thing to do is come up with derogatory nicknames this just seems weird.

Do you guys not realize what promoting a leader who does the things you guys apparently frown on means?

Every kid in grade school learns who the potus is. Then they get to turn on the tv and see him name calling and acting exactly how you’re not supposed to.

Mind numbing.
(03-06-2024, 10:23 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Considering the Republican Party leader would be banned from this forum because his favorite thing to do is come up with derogatory nicknames this just seems weird.

Do you guys not realize what promoting a leader who does the things you guys apparently frown on means?

Every kid in grade school learns who the potus is. Then they get to turn on the tv and see him name calling and acting exactly how you’re not supposed to.

Mind numbing.

Great, hate him deeply for that.  However, on here we're not going with that style of rhetoric.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-06-2024, 10:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Great, hate him deeply for that.  However, on here we're not going with that style of rhetoric.

Oh I hate him for reasons much more troubling than name calling.

Just wanted to highlight the hypocrisy.

It’s funny because we want civil discussion on our anonymous message board. Yet a bunch of you will vote for a guy who brings to the table exactly the opposite and not only that you want to make him leader of the free world and a guy millions around the world look to for leadership.

It’s like claiming you want peace and quiet so you go to a rock concert.
(03-06-2024, 08:09 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The thread was deleted for violating forum rules.

Good to see you deleted a thread. How about all of the individual posts are not being addressed.

I will do better, and I am sure the mods will not have to delete a bunch of posts due to breaking forum rules.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(03-06-2024, 10:58 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Oh I hate him for reasons much more troubling than name calling.

Just wanted to highlight the hypocrisy.

It’s funny because we want civil discussion on our anonymous message board. Yet a bunch of you will vote for a guy who brings to the table exactly the opposite and not only that you want to make him leader of the free world and a guy millions around the world look to for leadership.

It’s like claiming you want peace and quiet so you go to a rock concert.

A lot of us cringe with some of Trump's tweets or comments.

However, he has proven already he can be a great world leader. I know you hate him, but removed ISIS quickly when Obama could or would not. He pushed through a huge tax cut for the lower and middle class. He raised wage growth more than inflation (Biden is under water having higher inflation than wage growth and why the lower and middle classes hate his results).

Trump kept out of wars and forced members of NATO (big reason why the members love Democrats and hate Biden) to pay the amount of their GDP agreed upon to be a member of NATO.

As for the chaos, if punches are being thrown at you every minute of every day, how would you react? You have a couple of choices, but ignoring it is not an option because if you do, you get knocked out. You punch back and defend yourself. I have never seen a POTUS attacked more than Trump.

As he has stated, he does not want revenge, his revenge is success for everyone, Democrats, Independents and Republicans.

If elected, it is the Democrats who need to work with Trump if they want to unite the country. Trump's policies need to be inclusive; I see him settling on no abortions after 15 weeks (not zero abortions) unless a medical emergency for the mother. It is a state issue, but a leader of the country needs to express his vision and then let states settle the abortion parameters. 

I am pro - life and feel today there are so many options beyond abortion available than there were 20 or 30 years ago. Woman can get free birth control drugs and free morning after pills (in case of rape or incest). Having said that, an embryo starts feeling pain between 12 to 15 weeks. To me, 15 weeks gives a healthy mother ample time to terminate an unwanted pregnancy. I have many fights with my family and friends who feel no abortion with exception for medical emergency. 

All I am saying, is it will not be all doom and gloom for 50% of the country if Trump is elected, same for 50% if Biden is elected. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(03-07-2024, 12:22 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: All I am saying, is it will not be all doom and gloom for 50% of the country if Trump is elected, same for 50% if Biden is elected. 

Do you remember 2020? Empty store shelves, businesses closing, trailers full of bodies?

Do you remember when 2021 kicked off with a multi-pronged attack on our democracy and attempted coup?

It's 2024. A little over 3 years later. Record high stock market. Record low unemployment. American manufacturing making a strong comeback. Labor unions securing strong contracts. We completed a soft economic landing when most predicted a recession. We are in the midst of an AI technology revolution. We are setting records for oil and gas production. Major investments are being made in infrastructure. Major investments are being made to secure critical chip manufacturing. Ukraine has been fighting off Russia for 2 years, they weren't supposed to last 2 weeks. Israel was attacked by Muslim terrorists and their response has created a humanitarian crisis that somehow hasn't set the entire middle east on fire.

You're gonna have to have a better message than permanent tax cuts for the wealthy that increased the deficit, the fact an Isis leader was killed in 2022 https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/30/middleeast/isis-leader-dies-intl/index.html so that claim is just lame, and the abortion ban will be inclusive for everybody. That's the message you want to send to get me back to the guy who drove the country off a cliff because a new version of the flu hit?

2020 was doom and gloom. Watching my potus kiss ass with russia and north korea was doom and gloom. Having a potus who cares about himself more than the country is doom and gloom.
Unfortunately, this is a direct consequence of the political leaders you have at the moment but I do agree that name calling isn't productive talk.

Point received.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(03-06-2024, 08:10 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Referring to a party as a cult would be a violation because it's meant to offend. As for MAGA, that's pretty much an easy one as long as used in the correct context. I guess that's the whole purpose. This forum was created to discuss, not offend or attack one another. I'm guilty. I won't deny it. We can all do better. 

I would disagree. My intention in using the word is never to offend. I am using it based on the definition to describe the traits of the MAGA movement, not even a political party as a whole. I mean, objectively, there is no way to say that the movement is not a cult of personality surrounding Trump. If you take offense to a reference like that where a movement meets the criteria then I don't know what to tell you.

I will refrain from referring to the MAGA movement as a cult from here on out so as not to offend any delicate sensibilities, but I was merely using the term based on definitive characteristics, not to insult.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-06-2024, 07:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The problem with that is that Trump and the MAGA movement are not conservative in nature. There is a difference between conservativism and the ideology of MAGA.

see you are trying to use MAGA as a derogatory term and it isnt     
(03-07-2024, 12:01 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Good to see you deleted a thread. How about all of the individual posts are not being addressed.

I will do better, and I am sure the mods will not have to delete a bunch of posts due to breaking forum rules.

We're not going to go through the past year of posts and delete every one that breaks this re-established rule.

If you have some specific recent posts in mind, feel free to report them and we'll review and likely delete them.
(03-07-2024, 08:56 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I would disagree. My intention in using the word is never to offend. I am using it based on the definition to describe the traits of the MAGA movement, not even a political party as a whole. I mean, objectively, there is no way to say that the movement is not a cult of personality surrounding Trump. If you take offense to a reference like that where a movement meets the criteria then I don't know what to tell you.

I will refrain from referring to the MAGA movement as a cult from here on out so as not to offend any delicate sensibilities, but I was merely using the term based on definitive characteristics, not to insult.

This may be a case where intent is important. 

I see a difference between intellectually comparing a group of people to a clinical definition or description of a cult in the interest of evaluating a group of people's state of mind and saying "y'all are a bunch of cultists."

I see the same difference between looking at Joe Biden's behaviors and musing about whether he may be in mental decline based on a clinical definition relative to his behaviors vs saying" Joe's old and delusional!"

The line will be thin, though.
(03-07-2024, 09:42 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: see you are trying to use MAGA as a derogatory term and it isnt     

no, he is using MAGA as a term for an extremist political idealogy that is different from standard conservatism.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

(03-07-2024, 09:42 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: see you are trying to use MAGA as a derogatory term and it isnt     

So, bringing up the objective, observable differences between the ideology of the MAGA movement and conservative political ideologies, especially those of the Republican party from the mid-twentieth century until the rise of Trump, is somehow derogatory?

I can't adequately express my dismay with this line of thinking without violating forum rules, so I will stop here.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Can I still refer to Hamas as terrorist dogs? Personally I think a known terrorist group that broadcast footage of them raping, murdering, and kidnaping deserve every negative label that can be thrown at them.

I see this as you looking for something to be offended by when he did not intend in that way in the slightest.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
(03-07-2024, 01:29 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Can I still refer to Hamas as terrorist dogs?  Personally I think a known terrorist group that broadcast footage of them raping, murdering, and kidnaping deserve every negative label that can be thrown at them.

I mean...if you want? I don't see the purpose in it, but I don't think anyone identifies with Hamas, so there's little danger of offending or upsetting someone.

Now, if you call Palestinians or Palestinian supporters terrorist dogs because of some perceived association with Hamas, that's where you'll start to get in trouble.
(03-07-2024, 03:38 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I see this as you looking for something to be offended by when he did not intend in that way in the slightest.

Spot On!!

Make America Great Again (MAGA) or America First are not far right ideology. Yet, they have been spun by liberal mainstream news, social media and Democrats to attempt to demean Trump supporters.

Anyone who attacks by using MAGA in a derogatory manner is in the wrong. Just as I was wrong for using Genocide Joe after Democrats who favor Gaza labeled him using that term. 

(03-07-2024, 06:34 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I mean...if you want? I don't see the purpose in it, but I don't think anyone identifies with Hamas, so there's little danger of offending or upsetting someone.

Now, if you call Palestinians or Palestinian supporters terrorist dogs because of some perceived association with Hamas, that's where you'll start to get in trouble.

Why question was more about being able to be derogatory to a group such as Hamas, a known terrorist organization.  I would say yes, as you did, in much the same way I would do so with a drug cartel or criminal street gang.  Just wondering about the boundaries here.

(03-07-2024, 08:51 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Why question was more about being able to be derogatory to a group such as Hamas, a known terrorist organization.  I would say yes, as you did, in much the same way I would do so with a drug cartel or criminal street gang.  Just wondering about the boundaries here.

My viewpoint of the the boundary would be: When you say something, are you saying it to annoy/agitate/offend the person that you disagree with? Or are you saying it as a genuine expression of a legitimate political belief/concern that goes beyond a gut feeling. If you have evidence then even better.
(03-07-2024, 08:56 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: My viewpoint of the the boundary would be: When you say something, are you saying it to annoy/agitate/offend the person that you disagree with? Or are you saying it as a genuine expression of a legitimate political belief/concern that goes beyond a gut feeling. If you have evidence then even better.

This is a very subjective style of moderation that makes equitable moderation even more difficult to achieve. 

If we are to avoid derogatory language when talking about political groups, Hamas should be referred to as a political and military movement, no? Not terrorists or worse yet dogs. 

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that this is Bengalholic's world and I'm just living in it and will comply with the rules established by the mod team. But just for the sake of clarity, is this going to be an objective style of moderation or one that is going to depend on the feelings of any given moderator?