Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Using context to judge this draft
Great background on the draft.

https://www.bengals.com/news/draft-de-briefing-as-bengals-re-set-roster
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 07:06 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Also plays on special teams which many overlook

It would be an added bonus but I doubt him or CTB play ST this year. I could be wrong but I think both are big contributors on defense alone.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 11:48 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Compare Cappa and Karras to Hopkins and Spain.As far as their average ratings go,they are very similar.Then you have Collins,which is highly rated,(and I like this guy)but,let’s face it,he’s high risk.Out a full season with hip surgery.Injured his foot.Has been in some trouble with the league.Dallas wanted rid of him.Sure,he’s one of the top Tackles in the league,but there are red flags on this guy.No, I don’t see this as an example of going all out on the OL.Now had they brought in Tretter at Center I would feel much better,but that’s not going to happen.Although,they had the chance to make it happen.

Joe Burrow was extremely fortunate to have not gotten seriously injured this past season.Most sacked Quarterback in the league last year.And the nightmare continued into the playoffs,and into the SB.

Burrow suffers season ending injury,and it’s over.I don’t care how good your defense is.

Hopkins graded 51.4 last year.  Spain 72.3.  Karras 72.8.  Cappa 73.8.  

Nobody wants Tretter because he pushed for players to skip OTA's last year.  He's a good individual player, but not the kind of presence you want on your team.  

The Ravens allowed more sacks than the Bengals last year, their starting QB actually did get injured, and all they did was sign a RT of similar quality to Karras and Cappa and draft a C with a number of issues and they are being lauded for this tremendous off season.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 12:45 AM)Whatever Wrote: .  Spain 72.3.  Karras 72.8.  Cappa 73.8.  

Dammit just bring Spain back
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 11:48 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: No, I don’t see this as an example of going all out on the OL.Now had they brought in Tretter at Center I would feel much better,

I don't buy into PFF that much, but what was Tretter's grade and how did he rank in pressures allowed and sacks allowed.  

Is he really that amazing of a player?  If so, then why has no team signed him?
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 08:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't buy into PFF that much, but what was Tretter's grade and how did he rank in pressures allowed and sacks allowed.  

Is he really that amazing of a player?  If so, then why has no team signed him?

I don't pay to get the full PFF, but here's what I can find for free:

[Image: yUahrPj.png]

Seems like he'd be on par with the rest of the FA OL we brought in.  Have no clue about him outside of that to know why there isn't much interest being drummed.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 12:45 AM)Whatever Wrote: Nobody wants Tretter because he pushed for players to skip OTA's last year.  He's a good individual player, but not the kind of presence you want on your team.  

What? Tretter is the president of the players association and has been elected twice. He is a great locker room presence. Players across the league trusted him to negotiate the CBA for them. I am not sure why he hasn't been signed yet, but being an unsavory presence isn't one of them. 
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 09:59 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: What? Tretter is the president of the players association and has been elected twice. He is a great locker room presence. Players across the league trusted him to negotiate the CBA for them. I am not sure why he hasn't been signed yet, but being an unsavory presence isn't one of them. 

Do you want the union president on your club telling your players to skip OTA's?  
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 03:11 PM)Whatever Wrote: Do you want the union president on your club telling your players to skip OTA's?  

In the context of when he did it, yeah, I have no issue with it. He told players to skip because...
  • They were voluntary OTAs.
  • COVID-19 was still raging and he didn't want players catching it
  • He believed that the virtual off-season in 2020 contributed to less soft tissue injuries and fewer concussions.
He is looking out for the players. I would like a guy like that in the locker room. 
Reply/Quote
I thought they had a good draft, but only time will tell.

Hill gives them a versatile DB. Probably takes over for Bates next year so they don't have to overpay Bates.  The only thing I think could have made this a pick better, in my opinion, is if they could have traded Bates for a player or additional draft picks. But, holding onto Bates makes sense so Hill doesn't need to be rushed into the starting line up.

The Bengals needed to add depth at CB, DT, and Oline and they did that during the next three rounds. I don't know as much about these particular players as others, but with their recent track record I'm keeping an open mind and being patient.

I really like the potential of the last two picks.  Anderson will contribute on special teams, provides depth, and offers positional flexibility.  Gunter's combine numbers were very similar to Robinson from Miami of Ohio who was drafted in the 5th round, but Gunter has more experience.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 03:16 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: In the context of when he did it, yeah, I have no issue with it. He told players to skip because...

• They were voluntary OTAs.
  • COVID-19 was still raging and he didn't want players catching it
  • He believed that the virtual off-season in 2020 contributed to less soft tissue injuries and fewer concussions.
He is looking out for the players. I would like a guy like that in the locker room. 

So you would want to be a coach and trying to do your job with installing the playbook and helping teach techniques with a player telling the others to skip OTA's?

OTA's are voluntary, but coaches would still rather have all their players there than not  to prepare their players as thoroughly as possible.  A player who actively campaigns against that is not someone coaches and FO personnel are going to want to deal with.
Reply/Quote
Bengals addressed the biggest need of this team through free agency with 3 new olineman.

Bengals then addressed the second biggest need in the draft for the secondary with the first two picks, with Hill being a steal for where they drafted him, and Britt when coached up will also be a steal.

That's five new players addressing the two biggest needs of the team, 3 vets for oline and 2 top rooks for the DBs, win win.

If any of the other four rookies make the roster and contribute, then that will be a luxurious bonus for the AFC champs.

Thats my context for this offseason as they were drafting out of the 31st spot.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 07:00 PM)Whatever Wrote: So you would want to be a coach and trying to do your job with installing the playbook and helping teach techniques with a player telling the others to skip OTA's?

OTA's are voluntary, but coaches would still rather have all their players there than not  to prepare their players as thoroughly as possible.  A player who actively campaigns against that is not someone coaches and FO personnel are going to want to deal with.

As a coach? No, it'd bother me. I'd make it work, though. He's a good center and having the NFLPA president on your team and within your sphere of influence would be valuable. He's a good locker room guy. Your initial argument was that he was a poor presence to have around the team. That is what I am disagreeing with, not whether or not he would bother me if I was the coach. It's the NFLPA president who represents players around the league. He'd be a great presence to have around. 
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 07:00 PM)Whatever Wrote: So you would want to be a coach and trying to do your job with installing the playbook and helping teach techniques with a player telling the others to skip OTA's?

So your are saying that Tretter has character issues that would keep Taylor from wanting to sign him?
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 10:58 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: As a coach? No, it'd bother me. I'd make it work, though. He's a good center and having the NFLPA president on your team and within your sphere of influence would be valuable. He's a good locker room guy. Your initial argument was that he was a poor presence to have around the team. That is what I am disagreeing with, not whether or not he would bother me if I was the coach. It's the NFLPA president who represents players around the league. He'd be a great presence to have around. 

If he's a good C, good locker room guy, and having the NFLPA president on your team is so valuable, why is he still unemployed?

My initial argument is that he is not a presence you want around your team.  A player of high influence who actively discourages players from taking part in programs designed to help improve your team is not a presence you want around your team, at least if you are worried about winning games.  

From the Bengals' perspective, more specifically, you just won the AFC with 100% participation in OTA's.  Why would you want to move backwards and try to "make it work" with virtual OTA's because of one guy?  Or, look at the Ravens.  They needed a C and didn't go after Tretter.  Of course, Harbaugh is notorious for running more padded practices than the CBA allows.  That's not happening with the NFLPA President there.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 09:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So your are saying that Tretter has character issues that would keep Taylor from wanting to sign him?

Not that I'm aware of.

Tim Tebow is an Uber devout Christian and by all accounts a great guy.  I wouldn't want him on my team, though, because of the distraction of the media circus that follows him.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 10:28 AM)Whatever Wrote: Not that I'm aware of.

Tim Tebow is an Uber devout Christian and by all accounts a great guy.  I wouldn't want him on my team, though, because of the distraction of the media circus that follows him.

WTF does Tebow have to do with Trotter telling players not to attend OTAs? 

The fact that Trotter values players over the profits of ownership is clearly part of his "character". And you don't want him on the team because of it.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 12:10 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think with the schemes that Lou is cooking up, the resounding answer is...yes. 

With the raw ability that he now has in the DB room, this defense is about to be transformed/takent to the next level. 

There was a reason they targeted DB in the draft. They needed guys to do exactly what they wanted on defense. 

Agreed, and....Lou has logged quite a few years in this league as a DB coach. I would think he knows exactly what he wants regarding that particular position group.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 02:09 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: Honestly, I think its just the way this regime drafts.  We went super heavy on LBs 2 years ago, last year was heavy ol and dl, this year was very heavy secondary. I think they prefer to draft a lot of a position hoping to get a couple that stick.

Not a bad policy, considering the aggression the last couple of years in FA.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 01:04 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Dammit just bring Spain back

I'm on this boat as well. 

Reply/Quote