Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vacation ideas
The wife n I and two other couples are thinking of taking a week vacation together within the next year. Looking for reasonable ideas maybe in Florida, South Carolina, Savanaha?, Vegas(?). She would like a beach, I just want to sit back with a cool drink in my hand and maybe a cool historical site or two to visit. St Augustine in Florida? Sanibel Island? Tampa? Daytona Beach? Those have all been mentioned by the group.
Maybe not so much into crowds and we’re too old for the spring break scene anyways. But we do like to sit back and drink our beers and have our fun.
And of you old folks like me on here that have any tips for a fun vacation?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
A lot of beaches do not permit alcohol on the beach any longer. However, Myrtle Beach is one of the exceptions (or used to be). It's a pretty fun place to go and have plenty of things to do. Whatever you plan, make sure you investigate everything in advance before you confirm the vacation so you can have a blast.

Reply/Quote
Just do a cruise. Its more affordable than people think and depending on what cruise you take you will see plenty of beaches with private resorts that have bars and music. I go on one every year now. Its worth it (unless you get sea sick)
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
If you want a beach that is not covered up with big crowds and attractions for kids I recommend Folly Beach at Charleston SC.

We used to go there when my daughters were really samll and were satisfied with just a beach. It is very laid back. When the girls got older we started going to Myrtle Beach and fighting the crowds and noise.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 08:14 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: A lot of beaches do not permit alcohol on the beach any longer. However, Myrtle Beach is one of the exceptions (or used to be). It's a pretty fun place to go and have plenty of things to do. Whatever you plan, make sure you investigate everything in advance before you confirm the vacation so you can have a blast.
I didn't even think of the whole alcohol thing.  Ya, I kinda want to sit back and have a few on the beach.  our group may have to think about this one a little more.

(03-08-2018, 08:54 AM)Takedown Wrote: Just do a cruise. Its more affordable than people think and depending on what cruise you take you will see plenty of beaches with private resorts that have bars and music. I go on one every year now. Its worth it (unless you get sea sick)
I'm not a cruise fan.  the only cruise I want to go on is up to Alaska.  I have some friends go on a cruise once in the Caribbean and they said everyone on board got sick.  they had some horror stories that I don't ever want to live thru.

(03-08-2018, 09:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If you want a beach that is not covered up with big crowds and attractions for kids I recommend Folly Beach at Charleston SC.

We used to go there when my daughters were really samll and were satisfied with just a beach.  It is very laid back.  When the girls got older we started going to Myrtle Beach and fighting the crowds and noise.
Folly Beach, huh?  never heard of it before. can we bring some booze? 

Has anyone ever done a VRBO before?  Reviews?  Yay? Nay?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 10:55 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Has anyone ever done a VRBO before?  Reviews?  Yay? Nay?

Highly recommend it.  Tons of choices. Easy to search.  Good rates
Reply/Quote
I just went to Vegas in December. Flight was cheap. You can bundle a room with it. Cost me about a 1000 overall. I bet a lot but not high dollar amount. The one advantage is you drink for free. I recommend MGM. It's is right across from New York New York. Great view. And the tram is right there. I only went 4 days though so you might spend a bit more for a week. But pick a warmer month then when I went. Vegas was kind of cold at that time.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 08:54 AM)Takedown Wrote: Just do a cruise. Its more affordable than people think and depending on what cruise you take you will see plenty of beaches with private resorts that have bars and music. I go on one every year now. Its worth it (unless you get sea sick)

Cruises suck. Stuck on a boat with a thousand other people on top of you with nowhere to go and on a set schedule is a nightmare. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Hilton Head is always a good option as well. Driveable from Cincy, cool spots to go to and cool towns, can drink on the beach.
Reply/Quote
Hilton Head, just a hop, skip, and a jump from Savannah.  Plenty of golf to be played too, if that's your bag.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Come to my back yard in south Walton/destin Florida. I’m biased but we have some of if not the THE most beautiful beaches in the country. Sugary, powdery white sand and emerald water.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 01:34 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Cruises suck. Stuck on a boat with a thousand other people on top of you with nowhere to go and on a set schedule is a nightmare. 

That is pretty much how I envision a cruise to be.  My parents have been bugging my wife and I for years to go with them (they go on 3-4 per year).  I try to explain to my Dad that when I'm on vacation, the last thing I want to do is to be on a schedule, or surrounded by tons of people.

Working as a Land Surveyor, you might as well say that I'm pretty much a professional hiker.  When I'm on vacation, I don't want to do jack squat..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 10:55 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I'm not a cruise fan. 

[Image: what1.gif]

Reply/Quote
Outer Banks, NC. If you go slightly out of season (May, September) the beaches and restraunts aren't crowded and the rental prices are cheaper. (Beach House $2500isn for 7 days or a Bungalow $500ish for a week). Make sure you do rent ocean side and not sound side because the bugs on the sound will eat you alive.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 01:34 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Cruises suck. Stuck on a boat with a thousand other people on top of you with nowhere to go and on a set schedule is a nightmare. 

Thousands of people don't think they suck so.. ThumbsUp  Just depends on the person.

Reply/Quote
Vacations are for the weak.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 10:55 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Folly Beach, huh?  never heard of it before. can we bring some booze? 

Bring all the booze you want.  It is a laid back atmosphere.  Small bars and surf shops. Dolphin watching cruises, parasailing, and general beach stuff like that, but no big clubs or attractions.

But it is right next to Charleston which has some historical museums and points of interest.  There is even a navy shipyard museum.  Also excellent seafood restaurants.

If you don't have to work around kids school schedules then go in September.  Rates drop a lot, but the water is still warm from the summer.  And the weather is plenty warn in SC in September.  Rates are also cheaper before the 4th of July.  The weather will be plenty warm enough in June, but the ocean water is cooler than in the fall.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 04:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is pretty much how I envision a cruise to be.  My parents have been bugging my wife and I for years to go with them (they go on 3-4 per year).  I try to explain to my Dad that when I'm on vacation, the last thing I want to do is to be on a schedule, or surrounded by tons of people.

Working as a Land Surveyor, you might as well say that I'm pretty much a professional hiker.  When I'm on vacation, I don't want to do jack squat..

There really isn't a "schedule", it's not the navy lol. There are a lot of people, but there are plenty of places you can go to be alone. Cruises definitely aren't for anyone who may have very bad anxiety or anyone who may get sea sick. It's not for everyone, but I personally love Cruises.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 10:55 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I didn't even think of the whole alcohol thing.  Ya, I kinda want to sit back and have a few on the beach.  our group may have to think about this one a little more.

I'm not a cruise fan.  the only cruise I want to go on is up to Alaska.  I have some friends go on a cruise once in the Caribbean and they said everyone on board got sick.  they had some horror stories that I don't ever want to live thru.

Folly Beach, huh?  never heard of it before. can we bring some booze? 

Has anyone ever done a VRBO before?  Reviews?  Yay? Nay?
Never had a problem or have known anyone who had any problems like that. It's always relaxing and you do what you want. Food and bar 24/7. Like I've stated before, it's not for everyone for various reasons. Those horror stories are similar to the Titanic sinking. It's almost unheard of lol

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 06:16 PM)Takedown Wrote: Thousands of people don't think they suck so.. ThumbsUp  Just depends on the person.

Yep you are exactly right. Didnt personality types for sure. 
Reply/Quote