Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vacation ideas
(03-08-2018, 06:19 PM)Takedown Wrote: There really isn't a "schedule", it's not the navy lol. There are a lot of people, but there are plenty of places you can go to be alone. Cruises definitely aren't for anyone who may have very bad anxiety or anyone who may get sea sick. It's not for everyone, but I personally love Cruises.

When we went on a cruise we had a "day at sea". The deck around the pool and the pool itself was completely over crowded with people. There was nowhere to sit and the pool was so infested with peoples grime and dirt it was brown by the end of the day.

One of our stops was in Key West and I was having a blast bar hopping until....I heard the sound of the boat horn telling me it was time to board.

Its just not my scene. Maybe I had a bad experience but when I go on vacation I like to be in one place, explore that place, relax, and do what I want with minimal people around me.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 06:19 PM)Takedown Wrote: There really isn't a "schedule", it's not the navy lol. There are a lot of people, but there are plenty of places you can go to be alone. Cruises definitely aren't for anyone who may have very bad anxiety or anyone who may get sea sick. It's not for everyone, but I personally love Cruises.

Obviously, you've never me my Father.  There most definitely IS a schedule..  As in;  We're going to eat at this time, not 15 minutes earlier, or an hour later.  We're going to have cocktails at this time, we're going sightseeing at that time, we're sitting by the pool from this time to that time, etc. etc..   Shocked
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 07:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Obviously, you've never me my Father.  There most definitely IS a schedule..  As in;  We're going to eat at this time, not 15 minutes earlier, or an hour later.  We're going to have cocktails at this time, we're going sightseeing at that time, we're sitting by the pool from this time to that time, etc. etc..   Shocked

LOL! If you go with family (I have), they most likely will want to stick to their "schedule". If I want to go to their scheduled dinner, I do, but I've never felt obligated. I eat when I want, sleep when I want and that's enough for me. The excursions I've done in the Bahamas and the Caribbean were pretty amazing too.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 06:31 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: When we went on a cruise we had a "day at sea". The deck around the pool and the pool itself was completely over crowded with people. There was nowhere to sit and the pool was so infested with peoples grime and dirt it was brown by the end of the day.

One of our stops was in Key West and I was having a blast bar hopping until....I heard the sound of the boat horn telling me it was time to board.

Its just not my scene. Maybe I had a bad experience but when I go on vacation I like to be in one place, explore that place, relax, and do what I want with minimal people around me.

Sounds like a bad experience, but at the same time it sounds like you just don't like cruises. If the pool water got that dirty that's gross. I always go around December/January when kids aren't as likely to be on your cruise (not that adults can't dirty up a pool). Not for everyone that's for sure.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 07:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Obviously, you've never me my Father.  There most definitely IS a schedule..  As in;  We're going to eat at this time, not 15 minutes earlier, or an hour later.  We're going to have cocktails at this time, we're going sightseeing at that time, we're sitting by the pool from this time to that time, etc. etc..   Shocked

ya.....I know people like that, but I could never go on a trip with them.  sounds to militaristic for my liking.  I don't mind sticking to a loose schedule, but heavy on the "loose".  :)

we are all meeting up tonight to discuss the trip.  I'll be sure to mention Hilton Head and Folly beach and Destin Florida. 

Thank guys! 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 07:44 AM)Takedown Wrote: LOL! If you go with family (I have), they most likely will want to stick to their "schedule". If I want to go to their scheduled dinner, I do, but I've never felt obligated. I eat when I want, sleep when I want and that's enough for me. The excursions I've done in the Bahamas and the Caribbean were pretty amazing too.

(03-09-2018, 10:55 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: ya.....I know people like that, but I could never go on a trip with them.  sounds to militaristic for my liking.  I don't mind sticking to a loose schedule, but heavy on the "loose".  :)

we are all meeting up tonight to discuss the trip.  I'll be sure to mention Hilton Head and Folly beach and Destin Florida. 

Thank guys! 

Yep, sister and brother in law made the mistake of going on a cruise with our parents, a couple years ago.  They decided to "do their own thing" the last two days of the trip.  Dad pouted, because no one wanted to be endlessly shuffled around all day.  LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 10:55 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: ya.....I know people like that, but I could never go on a trip with them.  sounds to militaristic for my liking.  I don't mind sticking to a loose schedule, but heavy on the "loose".  :)

Thank guys! 

I'll echo what fred said as well.....September is awesome in SC.  As he noted, the rates are lower, and the crowds are minimal.  I've been going to the Southern 500 for almost 20 years (Labor Day weekend).  Several times, we have stayed at one of the beach towns and driven up for the race.  The only drawback is some attractions are closed (like water parks), but the rest of the stuff is always open.  

The wife and I did Hilton Head the 2nd week of September, we had the place pretty much to ourselves.  Dolphin cruises, jet ski riding, parasailing, spent a couple days in Savannah (which is awesome if you're a history buff like me), just an awesome, relaxing time.  No waits at restaurants, the temps were pleasant and not sweltering, and the water was plenty warm.  There are also places like Kiawah Island, Edisto, Murrell's Inlet, Garden City, Surfside.....etc.  There's also Tybee and Jekyll Islands in Georgia.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Thank guys! 

If I’m ranking based solely on beaches (again, I’m biased) I go easily this order: destin, Hilton head, then folly.

That being said, Charleston SC is an awesome city. Very cool. I like Hilton head pretty well too.

I’ll leave you with this picture my wife took of me and my buddies out paddle boarding Sunday morning(wish I could do better than a thumbnail but the powers that be have taken away some privileges from me):

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 01:37 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: If I’m ranking based solely on beaches (again, I’m biased) I go easily this order: destin, Hilton head, then folly.

That being said, Charleston SC is an awesome city. Very cool. I like Hilton head pretty well too.

I’ll leave you with this picture my wife took of me and my buddies out paddle boarding Sunday morning(wish I could do better than a thumbnail but the powers that be have taken away some privileges from me):

Destine is more family oriented and pricey. Not the place for someone who plans to toss back a few. The other 2 I’m unsure.

Reply/Quote
As has already been stated, you can't go wrong with the Outer Banks.

If you're doing Florida, Clearwater, Sarasota, or nearby is the place to be.

If you REALLY want to have fun that week, check out New Orleans.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 01:01 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: The wife n I and two other couples are thinking of taking a week vacation together within the next year. Looking for reasonable ideas maybe in Florida, South Carolina, Savanaha?,  Vegas(?).  She would like a beach, I just want to sit back with a cool drink in my hand and maybe a cool historical site or two to visit.  St Augustine in Florida?  Sanibel Island?  Tampa?  Daytona Beach? Those have all been mentioned by the group.
Maybe not so much into crowds and we’re too old for the spring break scene anyways.  But we do like to sit back and drink our beers and have our fun.
And of you old folks like me on here that have any tips for a fun vacation?

Careful of anything South Florida or Florida Keys.  Check how well they're recovered from the Hurricane last summer.
Reply/Quote
I prefer San Diego, Cancun or Puerta Vallarta.

The south side of Puerto Rico used to be awesome. But, alas, they have problems down there now since last year's storm.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 07:48 AM)Takedown Wrote: Sounds like a bad experience, but at the same time it sounds like you just don't like cruises. If the pool water got that dirty that's gross. I always go around December/January when kids aren't as likely to be on your cruise (not that adults can't dirty up a pool). Not for everyone that's for sure.

It depends of what company you choose also.  Carnival is a bit rowdier.  I've been on four Royal Caribbean's at different times from Bermuda to Cozumel, and everything was great.  
Reply/Quote
Just go to somewhere in the Rivera Maya. Once you figure in you food and drink at a domestic beach area it ends up being as expensive or more so than an all inclusive down there. We spent a week there on honeymoon and it was $2400 including airfare and shuttle to amd from airport. Never had to leave the resort enclosure. There were souviner shops, fishing tours, booze cruise, and even dolphin swimming at the place we stayed.
Reply/Quote
Would you be a little concerned with what’s going on in Mexico, closing the embassy and bomb threats? Not sure if Mexico is the best place right now.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
One of my favorite vacations was Clearwater Florida. Little island with everything you need. More private beach areas near frbo houses, public pier and hotels on the other end. Some activities off island if you want (like he Aquariam where the dolphin from dolphin tale lives). Can take a trolley across the island.

We rented a house for the week, two blocks from the beach. Took the trolley to the tourist parts, but stayed drunk on the beach most of the time.
Reply/Quote
Screw the beach, hit the mountains, Get yourself a cabin in the Smoky Mountains

But if you are set on a beach; I recommend Wilmington NC
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I've put in at least 100 extra hours at work the last 2 weeks, I don't see where I can get a free day off, one of my managers is very bad at letting me adjust "You can take half a day off, when ____, a few weeks from now". So 100 extra hours does not equate to 4 hours off a few weeks from now. I feel like I need to take a full week off and say I'm not taking PTO sorry, I got us to this point and not for free.

Problem is I have nobody go travel with right now! I'm wondering if I should just hit the beach and lay there all day.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 12:06 PM)Goalpost Wrote: It depends of what company you choose also.  Carnival is a bit rowdier.  I've been on four Royal Caribbean's at different times from Bermuda to Cozumel, and everything was great.  

I've only done Carnival, but that's my families preference and I don't think they would be willing to explore other cruise lines if I asked lol

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 11:06 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, sister and brother in law made the mistake of going on a cruise with our parents, a couple years ago.  They decided to "do their own thing" the last two days of the trip.  Dad pouted, because no one wanted to be endlessly shuffled around all day.  LOL

I can relate to this very well lol!

Reply/Quote