Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Vance Joseph emerges as next DC if fired
(12-24-2018, 03:59 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Bad news indeed. Even though he was only with the Bengals a short time, he was Marvinized while he was here. He was successful as a secondary coach and sucked beyond that. I'd only want him as a secondary coach, or nothing at all.

I wouldn't mind a secondary coach who can teach our DB's to actually play the ball.  I don't know who that might be but the current one doesn't seem to be that guy.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Only old coach I would want to see return as a coordinator or HC is Mike Zimmer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 04:05 PM)treee Wrote: Only old coach I would want to see return as a coordinator or HC is Mike Zimmer.

That's pretty much it, really, and it's not like Zimmer has crushed it in Minny. 

I want someone completely fresh. An offensive mind with an entirely new staff.

Of course, this feels like me wanting the new Charger Heliphant. Ain't happenin'.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 04:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's pretty much it, really, and it's not like Zimmer has crushed it in Minny. 

I want someone completely fresh. An offensive mind with an entirely new staff.

Of course, this feels like me wanting the new Charger Heliphant. Ain't happenin'.

Same. Need someone who hasn't been a part of the Marvin era. Someone with a fresh and different perspective.
Reply/Quote
Here's my thoughts on Vance Joseph. He's more than proven himself to be a superior hands-on position coach, working directly with the Secondary for several teams, highlighted by having the Bengals lead the league with 41 interceptions in the two years that he served as Bengals Secondary Coach.

He was quite successful and instrumental in helping Miami achieve their first playoff birth in 8 seasons, as Defensive Coordinator with the Dolphins in 2016. They won 9 of their last 11 regular season games, were 4th in the league in getting off the field on 3rd down, were 6th in the league in negative plays (107), and 4th in takeaways, despite having to use 13 different starting lineups due to injuries.

Joseph has struggled in his 1st HC job with Denver. I don't know how much of those struggles are on him not being cut out to be a HC, or if he simply needed more time getting grasp of the bigger picture as a Coordinator, before his meteoric rise to a Head Coaching position with a team as high-profile as the Broncos.

Personally, I think that he does have the intellect, personality and disposition to do the job. However, I think that a couple more years as a coordinator are in store. I would be perfectly fine with him coming to be the DC/HC in waiting for the Bengals, especially if it seriously meant the designated end of the Marvin Lewis era, and got Hue Jackson out of town.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I posted this already
Reply/Quote
It's sicking how afraid the Bengals are of change. They can't even comprehend the idea of bringing in a new coach, with new ideas and with no ties to Marvin Lewis or the Bengals. What a joke we have a head coach who hasn't won a playoff game in 16 years. We brought in another coach who has won 3 games in 3 years who's former players hate him and his team has thrived the second he got fired and we wanna bring in another coach who is gonna get fired because he sucks as his job.? It's like the Bengals are trying to harbor all the loser coaches on there staff. Can't make it up.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 04:31 PM)Trademark Wrote: I posted this already

My bad. I checked the whole 1st page and didn't see anything. I'll go ahead and merge. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
With the Raiders whipping the Broncos it might as well be a done deal as the new DC. The only way he is not is if he interviews with the old man and tells him about his ideas for change. That would make him automatically disqualified for the job
Reply/Quote
You see why Marvin is still here when you see the Bengals like to hire former coaches. It's the NFL version of nepotism.
Reply/Quote
Vance Joseph isn’t the answer. Is Denver any good? No!
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 12:05 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Vance Joseph isn’t the answer. Is Denver any good? No!

They don’t have a QB.

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 12:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They don’t have a QB.

Supposedly Elway wanted to fire him last year.

Joseph was thought of as an up-and-coming coach here. Of course so was Coyle and he washed out in Miami and was underwhelming in his return to the Bengals.

The success many of our coaches had here a few years ago was because we had a really talented veteran roster. Now much of that talent left via free agency.
Reply/Quote
I don’t think it’s wise to judge Vance on his Denver experience. Remember, this guy was one of the hottest prospects at one time; held in high regard by several NFL minds. He may not be the answer, but nfl history is littered with failed HC’s who dominate as coordinator(s).
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 12:18 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I don’t think it’s wise to judge Vance on his Denver experience. Remember, this guy was one of the hottest prospects at one time; held in high regard by several NFL minds. He may not be the answer, but nfl history is littered with failed HC’s who dominate as coordinator(s).

I just don't see any coach dominating with our roster.

That said...you know he'll be back when he gets fired. And you know Hue will be the OC. And maybe Hue and Vance are better suited for coordinator roles?

I don't know. The drafting is a major issue here. Major issue.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 12:17 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Supposedly Elway wanted to fire him last year.

Joseph was thought of as an up-and-coming coach here. Of course so was Coyle and he washed out in Miami and was underwhelming in his return to the Bengals.

The success many of our coaches had here a few years ago was because we had a really talented veteran roster. Now much of that talent left via free agency.

Elway should probably give his HC a real starting QB if he wants to have any success.

Reply/Quote

I think I’ve had enough.....
Reply/Quote
WHO DIDN'T SEE THIS COMING?

Marvin has been coaching here 5 years too long. What makes you think they'll get rid of him now?
Reply/Quote
To be honest I don't really care if Marvin's back, Hue's the OC and Skippy the wonder pony is the DC. If they win, great. If they don't, oh well.. Nothing new. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 12:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Elway should probably give his HC a real starting QB if he wants to have any success.

They won with friggin Tebow at QB. Not to mention Trevor Simien. 

That team fell off a cliff under Vance. It is what it is.

9-7 with Simien
5-11 with Simien (with Vance)
6-9 with Keenum (with Vance)
Reply/Quote