Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Vance Joseph emerges as next DC if fired
(12-25-2018, 12:55 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: They won with friggin Tebow at QB. Not to mention Trevor Simien. 

That team fell off a cliff under Vance. It is what it is.

9-7 with Simien
5-11 with Simien (with Vance)
6-9 with Keenum (with Vance)

Dolphins made the playoffs the year he was their DC.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 01:07 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dolphins made the playoffs the year he was their DC.

True, and that was their best record in the last 10 years. They were 29th in yards allowed though. Terrible against the run (30th in yards and 31st in YPC). Middle of the pack against the pass. 19th in sacks. 18th in points allowed. 

The only good I can say is that were great on 3rd downs (4th in percentage) and solid in forced turnovers (11th).

Not exactly a sparkling resume. Kinda looks like Terryl Austin in Detroit. They also made the playoffs once and had a winning record 3 times in 4 years with Austin, but his defenses gave up a ton of yards while forcing turnovers. 

I'll just say I'm very "meh" on Vance as a DC (especially since it means Marv is still here) and want nothing to do with him as a HC. It's Austin all over again. Never got the hype, still don't.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 01:07 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dolphins made the playoffs the year he was their DC.

Not only did they make the playoffs, but they were in or near the top 5 in getting off the field on 3rd down, in takeaways, and plays for loss (107), all while having to work with 13 different starting lineups due to injuries.

Personally, I feel like Vance Joseph is more than capable of managing a defensive unit.  He may just need a couple more years as a coordinator, before he's fully ready to manage an entire team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Joseph is overrated.

Coyle was our best db coach under Marvin.

Vance came in and poisoned Zimmer's scheme with the zone.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 01:25 AM)jj22 Wrote: Joseph is overrated.

Coyle was our best db coach under Marvin.

Vance came in and poisoned Zimmer's scheme with the zone.

Get the frig outta here.  Under Vance Joseph, the Bengals led the league with 41 interceptions in two years, as Coach of the Secondary.

Don't believe me?  Wiki is your friend, look it up.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 01:29 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Get the frig outta here.  Under Vance Joseph, the Bengals led the league with 41 interceptions in two years, as Coach of the Secondary.

Don't believe me?  Wiki is your friend, look it up.

Yeah, Vance was a good coach here. Outside of WJ3 last season our DB’s have been nothing special since he left.

Reply/Quote
I want Lewis gone and I don’t want Jackson so I’d take Joseph if it meant dumping those 2. I’d take anyone at this point inculding a trash can on wheels with a headset on it.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 01:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, Vance was a good coach here. Outside of WJ3 last season our DB’s have been nothing special since he left.

How long's he been gone now?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 11:47 AM)jason Wrote: How long's he been gone now?

3 years. The last time we made the playoffs Vance was coaching our DB’s...

Reply/Quote
I'd rather stay out of Marvin's coaching tree personally. Zimmer maybe, but really I'd like to see afresh new coach and staff top to bottom.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 12:40 AM)grampahol Wrote: To be honest I don't really care if Marvin's back, Hue's the OC and Skippy the wonder pony is the DC. If they win, great. If they don't, oh well.. Nothing new. 

Grampahol's as wise as they come...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 11:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 3 years. The last time we made the playoffs Vance was coaching our DB’s...

It seems a lot longer than that. I remember the Bengals blocking him from interviewing for another job. So he had 1 year in Miami, then two in Denver... That all seems like ages ago. It's mind blowing...

Holy shit... It's snowing on Xmas too.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 11:52 AM)bengaloo Wrote: I'd rather stay out of Marvin's coaching tree personally. Zimmer maybe, but really I'd like to see afresh new coach and staff top to bottom.

Marvin’s coaching tree is shaped like a wreath.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 12:18 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Marvin’s coaching tree is shaped like a wreath.

That's hysterical.  

Also everybody better come to terms with it.  Marv and Co have achieved family status in a family organization.  Just sit back and root for Uncle Marv to win the big one. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2018, 01:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He wasn’t even really given a fair shake honestly considering he didn’t have a legitimate starting QB out there.

And no one miracle run for Keenum on a much better team doesn’t make him a starter.

I agree with you on that.....but he has made some bad situational decisions too.  

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2018, 12:18 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Marvin’s coaching tree is shaped like a wreath.

Good one, and true
Reply/Quote
Eh, Vance has had a lot of talent to work with in Denver and all they did was regress under him.

No thank you.
Reply/Quote
I still think Vance Joseph has potential. As DC he was left with the old personnel and it's hard to tell what someone can do as DC with such a short period of time. I think the Broncos suffer from Elway having his fingers in everything and he was more of a game manager than a true coach with any real control.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 03:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, Vance has had a lot of talent to work with in Denver and all they did was regress under him.

No thank you.

plus if todd bowles is available    you go for him first.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 03:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: plus if todd bowles is available    you go for him first.

In a sane, rational world, damn right.  In the dysfunctional, nepotistic Bungals world.....you go for Vance Joseph because him and Merv are buddies. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote