Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Venice mayor: anyone who screams Allahu Akbar will be shot
(08-29-2017, 11:11 AM)Benton Wrote: Matt, you've made some valid points. Unfortunately, Lucie is showing why you can't allow a narrow restriction.

Out of nearly 2 billion people you've got less than half a percent — according to RAND Corp estimates — that are violent extremists. But you'll still get folks who say inflammatory things like "It's the tag line that brings death, pain, and destruction." That's the same line of thinking as "all Christians are bad because of Westboro Baptist" or "all white people are racist" or "all black men are criminals." Broad generalizations do nothing to resolve real issues. 

So you end up with a need to be able to have an open conversation and open practice of religion to dispel misguided beliefs.

I said the exact same thing within the context of this OP. Trying to make out Islamic extremists to be like westboro Baptist church is laughable. There are 18 members (mostly of the same family) of westboro baptist church and they live in a secluded compound in Topeka Kansas.

If there were only 18 extreme Muslims then no one would be talking about muslims.

As for extreme Muslims ..... pew would have a different view based on their population studies. https://youtu.be/g7TAAw3oQvg
(08-29-2017, 11:21 AM)hollodero Wrote: What is comical is how one would defend Nazi's rights to shout Nazi slogans like blood and soil or Jews will not replace us and whatnot, because free spech, slippery slope.
And at the same time shouting God is Great on Arabic should be forbidden. Not just that, people shouting that should be shot.

Because Nazis can be fine people? While muslims can't possibly be? I can't even grasp the line of thinking making this stance possible. This hypocrisy got to hurt.

"Nazi's" are irrelevant because their numbers are so small. Who cares what a handful of idiots say.

Extreme Muslims are a massive group. Not to mention their ranks are growing given the romance the media has with Islam.

No one is defending "Nazi's".... they are just irrelevant.
(08-29-2017, 11:13 AM)GMDino Wrote: Is there free speech for everyone?

Simple question.

Can a Christian stand on a street corner screaming "God is Great"?  Then a Muslim can scream Allah Akbar.

Look at it like open carry.  Someone can walk down the street with a gun.  Doesn't matter your race or religion.

But if you attempt to use that gun to commit a crime that is illegal.

Do we have a worldwide outbreak of Christians yelling God is Great then Murdering someone?
(08-29-2017, 11:37 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Do we have a worldwide outbreak of Christians yelling God is Great then Murdering someone?

Doesn't matter.  Free speech is free speech...right?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-29-2017, 11:30 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I said the exact same thing within the context of this OP.    

Outstanding! Glad you're going to stop trying to label 2 billion based off a few hundred thousand.

See, free speech opens conversations, which hopefully open people's minds. I'm proud of you Lucie.

ThumbsUp
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-29-2017, 11:33 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: "Nazi's" are irrelevant because their numbers are so small.   Who cares what a handful of idiots say.  

Extreme Muslims are a massive group.   Not to mention their ranks are growing given the romance the media has with Islam.  

No one is defending "Nazi's".... they are just irrelevant.

I didn't say defend Nazis, I said defend Nazi's rights - a defense which was rightfully done, I've come to terms with that. That they should not be forbidden to shout Jews will not replace us and these things.

Because of principle, that is. Principle. A principle that should be upheld under all circumstances, even when people use it to shout heineous things.

A principle that is suddenly quickly thrown overboard when the target is muslims. And that is ridiculous. Most muslims aren't extreme muslims just like most Trump supporters aren't Nazis. You complain and complain how you get unfairly thrown into the Nazi pot, yet you're the biggest pot thrower of them all when it comes to muslims. Principle of free speech? For Nazis, sure. For muslims? Never!

That is highly hypocritical.

Unless you do come forward and just plain state that you think the constitution shouldn't include protecting muslim's rights, that the founding fathers didn't have those people in mind. Because at this point, that's the only way to justify your stance while not betraying the words of the constitution you hold so dear when it protects Nazi's free speech rights.
(08-28-2017, 08:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, then the other 90 something percent of the "Religion of Peace" should do something about their religion's tagline being used as the mantra of terrorism.

Well, in the US you can't legally be shot for it, but you sure as heck can be prosecuted for inciting a riot.  That is not unlike yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.

It could be argued the 90-something percent of Bengals fans who aren't POS should do something about Mike Brown signing POS players.

I've seen more Bengals fans upset that Kapernack kneels during the national anthem than those who were upset at Pacman for telling a police office he hoped he would die or with Joe Mixon for punching a woman who required 8 hours of surgery to fix the four broken facial bones.
(08-29-2017, 11:40 AM)Benton Wrote: Outstanding! Glad you're going to stop trying to label 2 billion based off a few hundred thousand.

See, free speech opens conversations, which hopefully open people's minds. I'm proud of you Lucie.

ThumbsUp

If you actually believe there are only a few hundred thousand extreme Muslims in the world then you have lost the plot.
(08-29-2017, 11:43 AM)hollodero Wrote: I didn't say defend Nazis, I said defend Nazi's rights - a defense which was rightfully done, I've come to terms with that. That they should not be forbidden to shout Jews will not replace us and these things.

Because of principle, that is. Principle. A principle that should be upheld under all circumstances, even when people use it to shout heineous things.

A principle that is suddenly quickly thrown overboard when the target is muslims. And that is ridiculous. Most muslims aren't extreme muslims just like most Trump supporters aren't Nazis. You complain and complain how you get unfairly thrown into the Nazi pot, yet you're the biggest pot thrower of them all when it comes to muslims. Principle of free speech? For Nazis, sure. For muslims? Never!

That is highly hypocritical.

Unless you do come forward and just plain state that you think the constitution shouldn't include protecting muslim's rights, that the founding fathers didn't have those people in mind. Because at this point, that's the only way to justify your stance while not betraying the words of the constitution you hold so dear when it protects Nazi's free speech rights.

I defend any Americans right to say what they want, it's their right to sound off. It's also my right to decide if they are an idiot.
(08-29-2017, 11:52 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I defend any Americans right to say what they want, it's their right to sound off.  

Mellow

(08-29-2017, 10:34 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Defending  "religion of peace's" phrase that pays as free speech or worship is comical.  

It's the tag line that brings death, pain, and destruction.

If "religion of peace" members do not like that then maybe they should look at having a reformation to push he violence out.

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-29-2017, 11:52 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I defend any Americans right to say what they want, it's their right to sound off.   It's also my right to decide if they are an idiot.

Sure it is.

I take it you would be against implementing the Venice mayor's proposal then? You would defend a muslim's right to shout Allahu akbar, and you would also be strongly against shooting that individual? Is that so? A yes would do, and we're done here.
(08-29-2017, 11:48 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote:
It could be argued the 90-something percent of Bengals fans who aren't POS should do something about Mike Brown signing POS players.

I've seen more Bengals fans upset that Kapernack kneels during the national anthem than those who were upset at Pacman for telling a police office he hoped he would die or with Joe Mixon for punching a woman who required 8 hours of surgery to fix the four broken facial bones.

I did.  I posted a thread titled "Why is he still on this team, today?"

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23