Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vincent Rey re signed
(03-11-2016, 11:23 AM)Garrus Wrote: Because he gets whooped in coverage all the time. Can't keep up with RBs or TEs.

If that were true that is because he is a ILB that have been forced to play nickle LB. Folks 'laugh at' rey's tackling production for some reason; however, he has been one of the most efficient tackling LBs in the NFL the last couple years. Rey is very athletic; he just looks bad at times because he is the only player on the team that can do certian things.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 11:38 AM)bfine32 Wrote: If that were true that is because he is a ILB that have been forced to play nickle LB. Folks 'laugh at' rey's tackling production for some reason; however, he has been one of the most efficient tackling LBs in the NFL the last couple years. Rey is very athletic; he just looks bad at times because he is the only player on the team that can do certian things.

Perhaps that is true. I will say he seems better at it than our other LBs (except Burfict)
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 10:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He would not have been on the field that much without injuries.  

First 8 games last year Vinny played at least 95% of the snaps 7 times.

Last 8 games he played less than 50% of the snaps 6 times.

That does not make him a starter.

so by your logic we have one starter ?? Burfict... see this is the problem with your logic... very few players play every down now.. so what is best to do is look at the ratio of snaps... and this year is a great example... Rey had twice the amount of snaps than Lamur.. even with Burfict playing.. from your post he played close to 50 % which is still higher than Lamur... 

Your view of a starter is a old traditonal view... does not fit well into the modern version. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 01:56 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Your view of a starter is a old traditonal view... does not fit well into the modern version. 

No it doesn't.

I understand completely how many snaps each of our LBs play when everyone is healthy. Until the end of '15 Vinny was not even first string in the nickle package when Burfict was healthy.  It was Burfict and Lamur.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No I don't.

I understand completely how many snaps each of our LBs play when everyone is healthy. Until the end of '15 Vinny was not even first string in the nickle package when Burfict was healthy.  It was Burfict and Lamur.

So that means Lamur saw the field less then Rey not in the nickle when you look at snap count difference.. in the end Rey is more versatile plays more than Lamur.. maybe we are splitting hairs.. what this does prove is it is hard to say what is a starter and what is not a starter at times in this type of system that many teams have in the NFL.. the old days it was much easier to see starters and value their worth compared to others.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 03:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So that means Lamur saw the field less then Rey not in the nickle when you look at snap count difference.. in the end Rey is more versatile plays more than Lamur.. maybe we are splitting hairs.. what this does prove is it is hard to say what is a starter and what is not a starter at times in this type of system that many teams have in the NFL.. the old days it was much easier to see starters and value their worth compared to others.

It's not hard at all.

If you play the first scrimmage snap of the game for your unit, you are the starter.

A player can start 16 games and have only 16 snaps for the season.

The more appropriate question is, who plays in the base package?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2016, 12:03 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: It's not hard at all.

If you play the first scrimmage snap of the game for your unit, you are the starter.

So by your definition Vinny is a starter. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 11:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Vinny has started 21 out of our last 32 regular season games. You have no idea how much he would have been on the field except for injuries. If VB was healthy going into last season the plan may have been to move Vinney to MLB or SLB to compete for a starting job. I believe there was talk of him replacing Maul in the starting line up at MLB.

I don't know where the "Vinny is not athletic" talk is coming from. Dude is 6'0" 255 pounds and very athletic. I hope this money means there may be a new Rey lining up inside this year.

(03-11-2016, 11:23 AM)Garrus Wrote: Because he gets whooped in coverage all the time. Can't keep up with RBs or TEs.

Gotta be fair to Vinny that when he was usually whooped it was as a MIKE but...

When i say Vinny is not THAT athletic it means to do with his lateral play ability.

The dude has mad heart, very good straight line speed and can jump pretty well but he is not some crazy athletic
Linebacker that can hang with fast RB's or TE's. We shouldn't settle people. Nothin against Vinny i just hope the
coaches haven't promised him a starting position no matter what.

That would be a dumb move is all.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2016, 12:03 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: It's not hard at all.

Well then with that logic.. Rey is a starter, i see him starting every game.. 
Reply/Quote
I say if he can turn a flywheel fast enough to make internal combustion occur then he's a starter.
Man, some folks just can't help themselves but to get hungup over semantics..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote