Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Viral video of student confrontation over dreadlocks prompts investigation at SFSU
http://kron4.com/2016/03/29/viral-video-of-prompts-investigation-at-sfsu/

Quote:SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) — Campus police at San Francisco State University have launched an investigation into a viral video that shows a female student confronting a male student on campus about his dreadlocks.

Campus officials confirmed to KRON 4 News that the video took place on campus Monday afternoon and that both individuals are students, but neither are employed by the school.

The 46-second video shows an African-American student confronting a white student on campus about his dreadlocks.

She tells him in the video that he is appropriating her culture and when he tries to walk away she obstructs his path.

“Yo, stop touching me right now,” the man says he tries to walk up the stairs. She then grabs his arm to keep him from leaving.

“I don’t need your disrespect,” he says as she releases her grip on him and he walks away.

The woman then notices someone recording the video and asks the unidentified cameraman why he was filming.

“Just for everyone’s safety,” the cameraman says before shutting off the camera.

Statement from SFSU:

Quote:We are aware of the video made of an incident which occurred on campus yesterday afternoon. University police were called to the scene of the incident when it occurred. The two individuals involved in the incident are not San Francisco State University employees. Further, no criminal charges have been pressed at this time to the University’s knowledge.
San Francisco State University promotes the rights of the campus community to engage in free speech, but does not condone behavior that impedes the safety or well-being of others. We are taking the matter seriously and will promptly and thoroughly investigate this incident through applicable University channels, including our campus student conduct procedures

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Wouldn't it be funny if the school told the guy, "Cut your hair or be expelled"?
(03-29-2016, 04:49 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Wouldn't it be funny if the school told the guy, "Cut your hair or be expelled"?

Honestly at this point I'd have to laugh because otherwise I'd cry.

I just can't believe the things some people consider worth fighting about.

SMDH
As the school projects this person's 1st amendment rights, would they do the same if they wore "black-face" ?
What would make the two different, if the person felt more like they perceived themselves ?
I'm just curious on where/how lines are drawn.
(03-29-2016, 05:17 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: As the school projects this person's 1st amendment rights, would they do the same if they wore "black-face" ?
What would make the two different, if the person felt more like they perceived themselves ?
I'm just curious on where/how lines are drawn.

I think you need to try that again...You may have a good point, I just can't figure it out.   Mellow
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(03-29-2016, 05:24 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I think you need to try that again...You may have a good point, I just can't figure it out.   Mellow

Well, generally (non-black) people who wear black-face are mocking African-Americans and they are ridiculed for doing so, including being denounced by their university, ect.
My question is regarding a (non-black) person who might choose to wear black-face to enhance their self-image or make a statement.
Would the university defend them the same as this white person wearing dreadlocks ?
If not, why ?
How are the lines drawn ?
Why is she worried about that dudes hair when the guy she is with is wearing pink tights a trench coat and giant black boots? He is obviously stealing white goth girls culture. Wtf lady
(03-29-2016, 05:38 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Well, generally (non-black) people who wear black-face are mocking African-Americans and they are ridiculed for doing so, including being denounced by their university, ect.
My question is regarding a (non-black) person who might choose to wear black-face to enhance their self-image or make a statement.
Would the university defend them the same as this white person wearing dreadlocks ?
If not, why ?

I forgot to add....
If a university completely refused to defend anyone wearing black-face (regardless of reasoning), would this woman somewhat then have grounds for a grievance?
If I"m mistaken and there are white aboriginals with this hairstyle, disregard the question.
He handled that well. I like when people grab others and then tell them to not touch them... and then they grab the property of others...

College kids are useless sometimes.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Oy, women who pull the "I'm going to touch you but don't you dare touch me" card both frighten and enrage me.
(03-29-2016, 05:38 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Well, generally  (non-black) people who wear black-face are mocking African-Americans and they are ridiculed for doing so, including being denounced by their university, ect.
If not, why ?

I think the difference is that "black-face" is used primarily to imitate black folk. The African American culture does not have a monopoly on dreds as they do black face. I wonder what this female would say to a Pacific Islander wearing Dreds. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-29-2016, 10:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think the difference is that "black-face" is used primarily to imitate black folk. The African American culture does not have a monopoly on dreds as they do black face. I wonder what this female would say to a Pacific Islander wearing Dreds. 

While I understand what you're saying (and agree), the university specifically mentioned freedom of speech.
That's would've included chosen appearance, considering they've applied it to this cat's dreads.

Now.... I'm not suggesting people go around in black-face.
I'm just thinking of the different varieties of people out there and how they might identify.
They may be whites that identify with being black and choose to wear make-up to feel comfortable.
I just wonder if they would be protected or ridiculed ?

I swear I have not been watching "Soul Man".
(03-29-2016, 11:12 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: While I understand what you're saying (and agree), the university specifically mentioned freedom of speeches.
That's would've included chosen appearance, considering they've applied it to this cat's dreads.

Now.... I'm not suggesting people go around in black-face.
I'm just thinking of the different varieties of people out there and how they might identify.
They may be whites that identify with being black and choose to wear make-up  to feel comfortable.
I just wonder if they would be protected or ridiculed ?

I swear I have not been watching "Soul Man".

Things like black face carry a certain historical "weight".  That's why (right or wrong) people get upset when the word "lynch" is used toward blacks or when "code words" get bandied about like "uppity".  

It's not limited to blacks.  Most minorities have had some kind of stereotype used to portray them over time and most are now severely frowned upon because they were co-opted to degrade and demean those groups.
(03-29-2016, 11:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: Things like black face carry a certain historical "weight".  That's why (right or wrong) people get upset when the word "lynch" is used toward blacks or when "code words" get bandied about like "uppity".  

It's not limited to blacks.  Most minorities have had some kind of stereotype used to portray them over time and most are now severely frowned upon because they were co-opted to degrade and demean those groups.

Again....totally understand and agree.
I guess I'm approaching I'd as a "letter of the law" kind of direction, sans sensitivity.
I'm not promoting anything.
It's more of a "Gee... my wife is cackling it up with a couple other hens in the family room and I'm really bored. Hmmmm... how far would this university go to protect free speech/expression? ".
Big Grin
Well she's a moron.
(03-29-2016, 11:52 PM)Benton Wrote: Well she's a moron.

My wife ?
Confused
(03-30-2016, 12:58 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: My wife ?
Confused

Quote:“Just for everyone’s safety,” the cameraman says before shutting off the camera.

Not exactly what happened. She grabbed it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-29-2016, 05:38 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Well, generally  (non-black) people who wear black-face are mocking African-Americans and they are ridiculed for doing so, including being denounced by their university, ect.
If not, why ?

This is  much more readable.  That being said, I was wrong.  You don't have a point.   Cool
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(03-30-2016, 12:58 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: My wife ?
Confused

That's your wife in the video?

Because, if so, she's a moron.