Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virginia News Reporter Shot Live
(08-27-2015, 02:16 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: LOL...I've been meaning to ask you about that sig, did you lose a bet or something?  And why do you still have it?

What's the story behind it.

I did lose a bet.  To SLS in fact.  It was a couple of years ago.  I can't even remember the bet.  Any way.  It was a sig bet and all he sent me was the words you see in the sig.  Booooooooring.  So I gave the images to Cin and the words and asked him to make a better one.  He did.  SLS never came back after I started using it.  I won't get rid of it until he comes back and asks me to.

Anyway it's the best sig ever, hands down.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(08-27-2015, 02:37 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I did lose a bet.  To SLS in fact.  It was a couple of years ago.  I can't even remember the bet.  Any way.  It was a sig bet and all he sent me was the words you see in the sig.  Booooooooring.  So I gave the images to Cin and the words and asked him to make a better one.  He did.  SLS never came back after I started using it.  I won't get rid of it until he comes back and asks me to.

It is a great sig, and I always found it hilarious, since obviously you're Steelers fan.  I am curious though how you got pics of SLS?
(08-27-2015, 02:37 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I did lose a bet.  To SLS in fact.  It was a couple of years ago.  I can't even remember the bet.  Any way.  It was a sig bet and all he sent me was the words you see in the sig.  Booooooooring.  So I gave the images to Cin and the words and asked him to make a better one.  He did.  SLS never came back after I started using it.  I won't get rid of it until he comes back and asks me to.

There are words in the sig?  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-27-2015, 02:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: There are words in the sig?  Mellow

I know, right ?
I never read them, until today.
LOL

*edit* forgot something.....

" Mellow "
Does anyone here remember his Halo rap?  That was hilarious and classic SLS.
(08-27-2015, 02:42 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: It is a great sig, and I always found it hilarious, since obviously you're Steelers fan.  I am curious though how you got pics of SLS?

He posted them on the old Bengals site...so I appropriated them.

(08-27-2015, 02:59 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Does anyone here remember his Halo rap?  That was hilarious and classic SLS.

You mean this.

I keep hearing Obama speak about "common sense gun control laws".

What are these common sense gun laws?
(08-27-2015, 04:45 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: I keep hearing Obama speak about "common sense gun control laws".  

What are these common sense gun laws?

Off the top of my head I would say the following would qualify:

If you are a crazy person you can't buy a gun.
If you are a convicted felon or have convictions for domestic violence you can't buy a gun.
(Both easily doable via background checks.)
Nobody can buy a gun on demand. You go to the gun shop, decide what you want, order it and make a deposit and in 7-10 days you can pick it up (assuming the background check is clean.)
You can't buy surface to air missiles, grenade launchers, machine guns, assault rifles, magazines over 15 rounds, anti-tank guns, the gun that dude in American Sniper used, or armor piercing rounds.

In others words, "death to America," is probably what you are thinking. But these simple rules limit fire power to a reasonable level, provide a cooling off period for someone with an urge to kill right now and no gun, and keep violent and mentally ill persons from purchasing (more) guns.

And all the Yosemite Sams of the world can still fire their rootin' tootin' six shooters and holler yippee and make sure everybody knows what big gun totin' hombres they are! Yee ha! Boom boom boom boom!
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(08-27-2015, 05:02 PM)xxlt Wrote: Off the top of my head I would say the following would qualify:

If you are a crazy person you can't buy a gun.
If you are a convicted felon or have convictions for domestic violence you can't buy a gun.
(Both easily doable via background checks.)

There are already laws in place regarding the mentally ill or felons buying guns.  In fact, that bill was passed by a republican house and senate, endorsed by the NRA, and signed into law by President Bush.

I'm not aware of any Americans that can legally buy surface to air missiles, hand grenades, or automatic weapons.  I'm pretty sure there are federal firearm laws that ban those types of purchase and/or ownership.  Feel free to let me know if I'm wrong. 
RICHARD SIMON LOS ANGELES TIMES STAFF WRITER WASHINGTON -- A rare piece of gun legislation finds the National Rifle Association and the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence on the same side, and President Bush signed such a bill Tuesday.

The measure, Congress' response to last year's Virginia Tech shootings, is the first significant federal legislation in years aimed at tightening gun laws . It seeks to expand the federal database used to screen gun buyers to include the estimated 2 million-plus people, including felons and mentally ill individuals, who are ineligible to buy firearms.
(08-27-2015, 05:07 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: There are already laws in place regarding the mentally ill or felons buying guns.  In fact, that bill was passed by a republican house and senate, endorsed by the NRA, and signed into law by President Bush.

I'm not aware of any Americans that can legally buy surface to air missiles, hand grenades, or automatic weapons.  I'm pretty sure there are federal firearm laws that ban those types of purchase and/or ownership.  Feel free to let me know if I'm wrong. 

You can buy darn near anything you want, as long as you have the money, pass the BATF
requirements, and have your chief LEO sign off on it. It's not a gimme, but doable.
(08-27-2015, 05:28 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: You can buy darn near anything you want, as long as you have the money, pass the BATF
requirements, and have your chief LEO sign off on it. It's not a gimme, but doable.

You can buy nearly everything you want from the black market, if one so chooses to take that route.

Chicago has among the most strict gun control laws in America.  How's that working for them?
(08-27-2015, 05:07 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: There are already laws in place regarding the mentally ill or felons buying guns.  In fact, that bill was passed by a republican house and senate, endorsed by the NRA, and signed into law by President Bush.

Well, apparently those laws aren't in place (pretty sure they are not) or gun shops ignore them. There has to be a mechanism of enforcement and the gun lobby can't have it both ways. They cry about the government rounding up guns (which has never happened and never will - it is a boy crying wolf argument) and then cry about not being able to sell whatever to whomever wherever. Every business is subject to some form of regulation, and with good reason - people are assholes by and large. If they can sell you hamburger with dog shit ground into it to boost profits they will, so we have to have food inspectors. Similar dynamic with EVERY industry. But the gun industry thinks it should be immune from any form of regulation. After all, the stated purpose of the product is to kill - why would you need to put some restrictions on that? And we haven't, and look where we are. The only thing we still lead the world in is our own citizens murdering each other. USA! USA!
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(08-27-2015, 05:32 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: You can buy nearly everything you want from the black market, if one so chooses to take that route.

Chicago has among the most strict gun control laws in America.  How's that working for them?

What are the penalties for people buying drugs on the black market? Draconian. What are they for buying guns on the black market? Negligible (thanks gun lobby!). And the budget and LE focus on drugs are huge. On guns, its "meh." So that's how it is working. I would far rather see prisons filled with people who bought black market guns than black market drugs. Would the gun lobby? Nope. Wonder why? Oh, yeah, they sell the black market guns too. ThumbsUp
(08-27-2015, 05:32 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: You can buy nearly everything you want from the black market, if one so chooses to take that route.

Quote:...it is important to understand that Chicago is not an island. Although Chicago has historically had strict gun laws, laws in the surrounding parts of Illinois were much laxer — enabling middlemen to supply the criminals in Chicago with guns they purchased elsewhere. Forty three percent of the guns seized by law enforcement in Chicago were originally purchased in other parts of Illinois. And even if the state had stricter gun laws, Illinois is not an island either. The remaining fifty seven percent of Chicago guns all came from out of state, most significantly from nearby Indiana and distant Mississippi — neither of which are known for their strict gun laws.

It’s also important to put Chicago’s very recent increase in gun violence in perspective. Data from the University of Chicago Crime Lab’s Harold Pollack shows that this uptick, while certainly worrying, isn’t anything like a return to the historic peaks during America’s crime wave. Pollacknotes that “Chicago ranks 79th on Neighborhood Scout’s list of the 100 most dangerous places to live in America…the idea that Chicago faces a unique or unprecedented rise in homicides is incorrect. Our problems are all too familiar and chronic throughout much of urban America.” Chicago, following the national trend, has experienced a significant downturn in homicides in the past decade and a half:

[Image: Chicago-gun-violence-e1360940308696.jpg]

Chicago had an outright ban on handguns from 1982 until 2010, when the Supreme Court declared it unconstitutional. So there’s no reason to believe that strict regulations on gun ownership were responsible for a spike in gun homicides in 2012, two years after Chicago was forced to loosen its gun laws. Moreover, there’s simply no credible evidence that wider gun ownership or looser gun laws reduce crime.

So why did Chicago’s homicide rate increase in 2012? Pollack says “there’s no simple answer.” Buthe points to three factors are particularly important: escalating gang conflict as a consequence of police crackdowns and shifting gang territory, outdated law enforcement practices, and — yes — access to guns.

According to Pollack, access to guns significantly increase the risk that a conflict between two gang members escalates to homicide, as weapons designed to kill people (shockingly) make it easier to kill people. Chicago’s streets are flooded with guns: it has roughly six times as many guns as New York City per capita, despite its restrictive laws. So if gang conflict escalates, and the gangs have easy access to guns, the homicide rate should rise. This explanation fits with the fact that 87 percent of Chicago homicides in 2012 were gun-related. New York, by contrast, did not experiencea surge in homicides in 2012.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-27-2015, 05:33 PM)xxlt Wrote: Well, apparently those laws aren't in place (pretty sure they are not) or gun shops ignore them.

I clearly highlighted that such a law is in place and was signed into law.  If you want to look it up and prove that I'm incorrect here, that's fine.
(08-27-2015, 05:37 PM)xxlt Wrote: What are the penalties for people buying drugs on the black market? Draconian. What are they for buying guns on the black market? Negligible (thanks gun lobby!). And the budget and LE focus on drugs are huge. On guns, its "meh." So that's how it is working. I would far rather see prisons filled with people who bought black market guns than black market drugs. Would the gun lobby? Nope. Wonder why? Oh, yeah, they sell the black market guns too. ThumbsUp

I'm pretty sure that it's a felony for a convicted felon, a mentally ill person, or any other person to own or possess an illegally purchased firearm. 

It's also a felony for a person to use a weapon in the commission of a crime. 

I wouldn't say those are "draconian" laws.  
(08-27-2015, 05:40 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: I clearly highlighted that such a law is in place and was signed into law.  If you want to look it up and prove that I'm incorrect here, that's fine.

You stated it is in place, you did not prove it. If I state that Obama is a Kenyan Muslim that does not prove it (though it would to many and perhaps you).

I stated I believe you are mistaken, and don't care if you prove me right or wrong, because I went on to state that EVEN IF the law is in place it is clearly not being enforced. I went on to state we misappropriate LE resources in the "war on drugs" while ignoring the gun carnage across our country. I have yet to see a documented case of a victim of marijuana, yet a ton of people are in jail for possessing it. A ton of people obtain illegal guns or legal guns that they are not legally entitled to own, and damn few are in jail for that. This is my perception, which you are free to disagree with it.

Sensing you probably understood none that, let me try another tack. The thread is about people being murdered on live television. Clearly this indicates we don't have a gun problem. Sandy Hook, Columbine, VA Tech, the d-bag who got sentenced to 3,000 plus years today, etc. clearly show we don't have a gun problem. Leading the world in gun ownership and murder clearly show we don't have a gun problem. Does this paragraph paraphrase your argument accurately? I am trying to understand your take so I might better dialogue with you.

You asked about common sense gun laws. I suggested some. You CLAIMED (but did not prove) they exist and I pointed out that IF THEY DO there may be issues with LE priorities, enforcement, industry cooperation, and inadequate penalties for the crimes. You responded, 'prove the laws aren't on the books.' Maybe they are, but clearly we need a solution to our gun problem from my perspective. It would seem you disagree, and I am sure the headlines for the next year will delight you. No common sense (or other) gun laws will be passed and the corpses will keep piling up. Congratulations to you and Mr. Heston and Mr. LaPierre would seem to be in order.
(08-27-2015, 05:42 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: I'm pretty sure that it's a felony for a convicted felon, a mentally ill person, or any other person to own or possess an illegally purchased firearm. 

It's also a felony for a person to use a weapon in the commission of a crime. 

I wouldn't say those are "draconian" laws.  

Class of felony? Detection rate? Prosecution rate? Conviction rate? Those would be the things that matter.

On a side note, I suggested the punishment for drug offenders was draconian. By the way, that means barbaric, brutal, heavy handed, over the top. I suggested the penalties for gun offenses are not draconian, and we agree on that. But, I rather wish they were.