Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Volson with 1st team
(08-17-2022, 03:41 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: But it is. It's just the front office wont make the moves to bring one of 3 free agent linemen in.

But they don't need to bring one of 3 available right now, in two weeks there will be a shitload of linemen looking for work.  Many of them good, veteran players getting cut for younger guys on rookie deals.  Those veteran players will likely be willing to sign affordable deals, just to stay relevant.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Carmen was doing the 'death catch', zero punch. Volson went up against easier defenders, but still. He won't be able to play unless he fixes that.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 03:48 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: Carmen was doing the 'death catch', zero punch. Volson went up against easier defenders, but still. He won't be able to play unless he fixes that.

Fans should be nervous about starting a 4th round rookie that came from the FCS.
If that's the best option, that's a big problem.

Remember when Michael Jordan started as a rookie? He was a 4th rounder, and he wasn't making the jump from FCS to NFL.
Not saying Volson is as bad as Jordan, but there's reason to be nervous about a Day 3 pick starting as a rookie, especially on the OL and so much of the success dependent upon the health of your star QB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 03:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But they don't need to bring one of 3 available right now, in two weeks there will be a shitload of linemen looking for work.  Many of them good, veteran players getting cut for younger guys on rookie deals.  Those veteran players will likely be willing to sign affordable deals, just to stay relevant.

fair enough, but you gotta bring one of them in
Reply/Quote
Volson working with the 1st team so far Carman was rotated in for 1 snap. Trey Hill is working at second team LG.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Ugly rep by Volson... and I cant wait to see that twist combination by Hendrickson and Ossai this season.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 03:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Fans should be nervous about starting a 4th round rookie that came from the FCS.

Remember when Michael Jordan started as a rookie? He was a 4th rounder, and he wasn't making the jump from FCS to NFL.
Not saying Volson is as bad as Jordan, but there's reason to be nervous about a Day 3 pick starting as a rookie, especially on the OL and so much of the success dependent upon the health of your star QB.

I wouldn't stereotype if i was you.
NDS has been pushing linemen into the NFL in the last few years. Some are hits, some are misses just like if they were coming from any other college.

But no one is counting on Volson to come in and become an AP his first year. So far, he seems mostly avg, which is currently just as good or slightly better than Carman has shown...
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 05:19 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I wouldn't stereotype if i was you.
NDS has been pushing linemen into the NFL in the last few years. Some are hits, some are misses just like if they were coming from any other college.

But no one is counting on Volson to come in and become an AP his first year. So far, he seems mostly avg, which is currently just as good or slightly better than Carman has shown...

Can we really even say he's mostly average based on Preseason Game 1?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Just because Volston is getting first team reps doesn't mean Jackson is a Lazy POS. Everybody needs to quit saying it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 05:19 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I wouldn't stereotype if i was you.

And all of them have been absolute shit.

Not sure about Radunz last year (think he did well, again, not sure).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 03:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Fans should be nervous about starting a 4th round rookie that came from the FCS.

It's a good point. But I want to see how he fares playing between Karras and Jonah first (with Cappa and La'el on the other side). It's one thing to have a fourth-rounder join a makeshift unit that's trying to reinvent themselves and figure things out on the fly. It's quite another when he's the clear #5 on a unit with 4 proven veterans. I'm not saying he won't still be a problem. But I do think he's in a (marginally) better spot than he would have been last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 06:32 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And all of them have been absolute shit.

Not sure about Radunz last year (think he did well, again, not sure).

I had to go look I couldnt remember any specifically that came from NDSU. It was Cordell Volson this year and Dillon Radunz last year (I don't think he really played much). Before that it was Joe Haeg like 6 years ago and Billy Turner 8 years ago lol.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 06:46 PM)Synric Wrote: I had to go look I couldnt remember any specifically that came from NDSU. It was Cordell Volson this year and Dillon Radunz last year (I don't think he really played much). Before that it was Joe Haeg like 6 years ago and Billy Turner 8 years ago lol.

Indeed. Both are not good and Turner should've been out of the league like 5 years ago. How he still gets chances, I have no clue.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

I agree. The coaches have had a wait and see mentality the past several years especially with the oline. I would rather be working on contingency plans before it gets bad. Especially when we are knocking on the door to be champions.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 04:18 PM)Synric Wrote: Ugly rep by Volson... and I cant wait to see that twist combination by Hendrickson and Ossai this season.

Training camp is for learning.  Ugly rep, but also a teachable moment.  Let's just hope that the young man learns to recognize a little quicker..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 03:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But they don't need to bring one of 3 available right now, in two weeks there will be a shitload of linemen looking for work.  Many of them good, veteran players getting cut for younger guys on rookie deals.  Those veteran players will likely be willing to sign affordable deals, just to stay relevant.

Believe the same and why I don't want to settle for Spain right now. 

Let's see what's available from camp cuts and try and get a vet or two wanting to chase a ring.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 07:57 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe the same and why I don't want to settle for Spain right now. 

Let's see what's available from camp cuts and try and get a vet or two wanting to chase a ring.

Exactly, we don't "need" a sure-fire starter right now, but we are desperate for quality depth on the OL.  If any of the starters go down, we're quite f****d with the next up, at any of the 5 positions.  It takes a while to recover from several misses at a fundamental position group, like Offensive Line.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 02:44 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: maybe he can turn out to be decent. But he's obviously never going to end up great. That's just clear to everyone with eyes

If you think every great O-lineman just comes into the NFL great you are nuts Frank...

Takes time with every young player and this is only Carman's second year in the league.

Way too early to say he is a bust after just the first preseason game of his second year lol

I know you didn't say Carman is a bust but you sure hate the guy enough for me to presume that is what you think of him.

(08-17-2022, 03:02 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Ehhh....no, your recollection is wrong, Nate. You were high on Ogbuehi, I remember this as well. I just went and did a search on the forum for Ogbuehi and there are plenty of posts where you are singing his praise, talking about how good of a pick he was, how talented he is etc. Funny enough, there is a post where you talk about how Ogbuehi was a better prospect than none other than La'el Collins.

There is nothing wrong with this, you are just an optimist about the Bengals. However, you don't get to be an optimist AND re-write history  Tongue

Sorry about that, didn't remember being too high on him. I give every player a chance.

You are probably correct. I can be about the most optimistic dude on the boards, just the way I am.

(08-17-2022, 03:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The problem with any prospect shifting to a new position is you really don't know if they will succeed at it or not.
But we know OT probably isn't in the cards given the incredible lack of length.
If Carman can't show he can handle DTs while playing IOL, there's probably not any hope for him.
We just wouldn't have known that since we really just saw him at LT at Clemson.
The transition sounds easy on paper, but not every OT can shift inside well.

This could all be true but I still have hope for the guy. He flashes great things at times when he is healthy.

Too early to know for sure with Carman and a lot of these guys. Just happy we got Cappa, Karras, La'el and Volson.

(08-17-2022, 03:42 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Nate's a lying optimist

BS, I hardly ever lie. You are a liar by saying such a thing. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 09:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If you think every great O-lineman just comes into the NFL great you are nuts Frank...

I never said that, but it looks like he hasnt improved from last year. There's not many great guards ever who were less than dog crap their first 2 seasons. If Carman is getting beat out by a 4th round rookie, I assume he's the same stinky player as he was year 1

if he looked ok, then I wouldnt rule out him maybe becoming a stud later on. But it looks like his ceiling is just above average
Reply/Quote