Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Volson with 1st team
(08-18-2022, 02:45 PM)Joelist Wrote: Actually Carman wasn't being bullied - the issue is exactly as some have described. He sets too straight up (not enough bend) and his hands are too wide. Add in his premature launching and he is letting defenders get on his chest which removes his leverage. We saw both last season and even in the preseason game on a couple of occasions what happens when he sets correctly and keeps his hands in - he just destroys defenders and drives them back.

The issue here is mental. I would not object to either him (on his own dime) or the team bringing in someone like Munoz or Joe Walter to work 1-1 with Carman on this type of technician stuff.

Also sounds like there's some technique that needs worked on too.
This seems like something Pollack should be able to easily coach.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
right now Jackson Carman is not out with the team for practice.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 02:45 PM)Joelist Wrote: Actually Carman wasn't being bullied - the issue is exactly as some have described. He sets too straight up (not enough bend) and his hands are too wide. Add in his premature launching and he is letting defenders get on his chest which removes his leverage. We saw both last season and even in the preseason game on a couple of occasions what happens when he sets correctly and keeps his hands in - he just destroys defenders and drives them back.

The issue here is mental. I would not object to either him (on his own dime) or the team bringing in someone like Munoz or Joe Walter to work 1-1 with Carman on this type of technician stuff.

Actually,  Willie Anderson has worked with him both prior to the Bengals drafting him and since. Alot of it is mental and no different than golf, you just need reps. Carman came into a totally new situation a year ago playing a new position in guard which requires incredible strength,leverage and an awareness that doesn't happen over night especially not playing there before. Add in some health issues he had season before as well as needing to mature and it's not uncommon for a player to take time.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 03:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Also sounds like there's some technique that needs worked on too.

pollack can only do so much. It's up to carman to actually digest the information and be a good student and hard worker
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 03:52 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: pollack can only do so much. It's up to carman to actually digest the information and be a good student and hard worker

Right I understand that, but I've always felt technique is something that is one of the more coachable things.
It is definitely up to the individual to grasp those things though, make it a habit to stick with those, and get to the point of doing them without having to always think about it.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
We hold joint practice with the Rams next week. I think whomever A-A-Ron Donald doesn't completely destroy will get the nod
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 04:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We hold joint practice with the Rams next week. I think whomever A-A-Ron Donald doesn't completely destroy will get the nod

So...no one gets the nod?  Ninja
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 04:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So...no one gets the nod?  Ninja

Lol that was my thought. He's probably going to thump everyone. 
Reply/Quote
Say, how is Lamont Gaillard done so far? Has anyone seen his reps in practice?

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 03:29 PM)pally Wrote: right now Jackson Carman is not out with the team for practice.

They are saying he tested postive for Covid.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 04:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So...no one gets the nod?  Ninja

I'm sure they'll both get destroyed; however, maybe one will make one stop and not be completely destroyed. Or maybe just whichever one starts a fight with him from constantly getting abused. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 05:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm sure they'll both get destroyed; however, maybe one will make one stop and not be completely destroyed. Or maybe just whichever one starts a fight with him from constantly getting abused. 

I heard drop kicks can be effective.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 05:20 PM)Synric Wrote: They are saying he tested postive for Covid.

Just saw that. Not a good time to get it for Carman with Volson playing decent.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 06:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just saw that. Not a good time to get it for Carman with Volson playing decent.

Hopefully Volson seizes the opportunity and practices harder than ever to make sure that Carmen doesn't have a shot when he comes back, which hopefully makes Carmen play even harder when he comes back to try and win his spot back and then hopefully they just keep up that cycle of pushing each other.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 06:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just saw that. Not a good time to get it for Carman with Volson playing decent.

No doubt, hopefully he can get back to health and be ready in case Volson has some Rookie struggles.

(08-18-2022, 09:01 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Hopefully Volson seizes the opportunity and practices harder than ever to make sure that Carmen doesn't have a shot when he comes back, which hopefully makes Carmen play even harder when he comes back to try and win his spot back and then hopefully they just keep up that cycle of pushing each other.

But as fans of the team, we DO want him to have a shot.  Competition is what brings out the best in athletes.  For a rookie like Volson, winning the job by default could become more of a curse than a blessing.  (see Mike Jordan from recent memory..)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 09:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No doubt, hopefully he can get back to health and be ready in case Volson has some Rookie struggles.

But as fans of the team, we DO want him to have a shot.  Competition is what brings out the best in athletes.  For a rookie like Volson, winning the job by default could become more of a curse than a blessing.  (see Mike Jordan from recent memory..)

I'm not saying that he SHOULDN'T have a shot, I'm just saying that hopefully Volson practices hard enough to try and make sure the coaches don't give Carmen a shot but then hopefully it makes Carmen go even harder.

I'm saying I hope it opens a competition, which competition breeds excellence. 
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 09:01 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Hopefully Volson seizes the opportunity and practices harder than ever to make sure that Carmen doesn't have a shot when he comes back, which hopefully makes Carmen play even harder when he comes back to try and win his spot back and then hopefully they just keep up that cycle of pushing each other.

Practicing hard enough has never been the issue in college or, thus far, with the Bengals with Volson. Just need the light to come on with a bit more urgency now. Getting significant game reps is the key with him with teams throwing lots of variations at him. He's a hard worker, very smart and very strong.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 03:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Also sounds like there's some technique that needs worked on too.

With the NFLPA contract regarding practices, you only get so many padded practices, and those are limited to about 20 reps total given the length of practices (According to the guys on Move the Chains) So if they are split evenly, half are passing reps and half are run reps. Then you have to move players in and out, so one guy is not getting all those reps. It's to the point NFL position coaches can help with the installs, then fine tune some things technique wise, but if a player wants to see drastic improvement, they are going to have to do it with experts in the off season.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 02:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: With the NFLPA contract regarding practices, you only get so many padded practices, and those are limited to about 20 reps total given the length of practices (According to the guys on Move the Chains) So if they are split evenly, half are passing reps and half are run reps. Then you have to move players in and out, so one guy is not getting all those reps. It's to the point NFL position coaches can help with the installs, then fine tune some things technique wise, but if a player wants to see drastic improvement, they are going to have to do it with experts in the off season.

The key difference between the good ones and great ones. The work they put in in the off-season. It’s a year round job, some of these guys only treat it like a nine month and it shows.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 02:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: With the NFLPA contract regarding practices, you only get so many padded practices, and those are limited to about 20 reps total given the length of practices (According to the guys on Move the Chains) So if they are split evenly, half are passing reps and half are run reps. Then you have to move players in and out, so one guy is not getting all those reps. It's to the point NFL position coaches can help with the installs, then fine tune some things technique wise, but if a player wants to see drastic improvement, they are going to have to do it with experts in the off season.

Yep you make some good points.

It's been quite a few years since I've been to a TC...do they only do reps for one set of players at a time? Or do they run a 1st-team and 2nd-team in parallel on different halves of the field?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote