Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Volson with 1st team
Volson is going to start I think. He’s got to get up to speed on the offense and his team ran the ball a lot. Carman I’m afraid is a bust.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 09:01 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Hopefully Volson seizes the opportunity and practices harder than ever to make sure that Carmen doesn't have a shot when he comes back, which hopefully makes Carmen play even harder when he comes back to try and win his spot back and then hopefully they just keep up that cycle of pushing each other.

Need to have as great of a competition at LG as possible as it is the only question on the starting OL.

I think between both of these guys we could be okay though. I really like what I saw of Volson and am back to leaning 
his way as the starter come opening day against the Steelers especially after hearing about Carman getting covid.

(08-18-2022, 09:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No doubt, hopefully he can get back to health and be ready in case Volson has some Rookie struggles.

But as fans of the team, we DO want him to have a shot.  Competition is what brings out the best in athletes.  For a rookie like Volson, winning the job by default could become more of a curse than a blessing.  (see Mike Jordan from recent memory..)

All true, I want Carman out there as quickly as possible pushing Volson to be great and vice versa.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 06:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Need to have as great of a competition at LG as possible as it is the only question on the starting OL.

I think between both of these guys we could be okay though. I really like what I saw of Volson and am back to leaning 
his way as the starter come opening day against the Steelers especially after hearing about Carman getting covid.

All true, I want Carman out there as quickly as possible pushing Volson to be great and vice versa.
At this point with Carman's lack of progression and Volson young I might want a veteran  signed
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 06:36 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: At this point with Carman's lack of progression and Volson young I might want a veteran  signed

Oh yeah, I would love to add at least a couple Vets soon honestly...
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 06:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Oh yeah, I would love to add at least a couple Vets soon honestly...

This Sunday game is where the assessment needs done.
If Volson does well there against starter-caliber players, I'm less concerned (although just 1-2 preseason games isn't much reassurance).
But the final preseason game is basically just evaluating the final spots who could make the roster, so go ahead and bring in some guy(s) after Sunday if there performance of the current guys isn't good enough still.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 06:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Oh yeah, I would love to add at least a couple Vets soon honestly...

I'm still looking at $$ every amount counts to future contracts , I'm ok with 1
Reply/Quote
Players taking notice of Volson's drive and work ethic. Praise from Collins

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/la-el-collins-has-huge-praise-for-bengals-rookie-cordell-volson/ar-AA10Qw35?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=5742d6e8e6b5408a998f9174de9f3158
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 07:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This Sunday game is where the assessment needs done.
If Volson does well there against starter-caliber players, I'm less concerned (although just 1-2 preseason games isn't much reassurance).
But the final preseason game is basically just evaluating the final spots who could make the roster, so go ahead and bring in some guy(s) after Sunday if there performance of the current guys isn't good enough still.

Okay, so this is like the 3rd Preseason game of the old 4 game Preseason...

I didn't know, all I heard was the Giants were going to start a lot of starters. 

Yes this will be a good assessment game for Volson. 

If he doesn't play well we will need to bring in a vet Left Guard at the very least.

(08-19-2022, 07:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I'm still looking at $$ every amount counts to future contracts , I'm ok with 1

Fine line, depends on how well our guys, namely Volson play...
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 07:32 PM)GemCityBengal Wrote: Players taking notice of Volson's drive and work ethic. Praise from Collins

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/la-el-collins-has-huge-praise-for-bengals-rookie-cordell-volson/ar-AA10Qw35?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=5742d6e8e6b5408a998f9174de9f3158

"With Jackson Carman being one of the many injury issues right now."

He has covid damn it. This is what I don't like about the media. Damn msn! Whatever

Cool that La'el thinks Volson is one of the best rookies he has ever been around though, thanks for the link GemCity. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 03:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Volson is going to start I think. He’s got to get up to speed on the offense and his team ran the ball a lot. Carman I’m afraid is a bust.

I think he’s toast too. He got his second round money and is happy with it. He somehow looks worse this year compared to last, and when that happens in year two you can pretty much stick a fork in a player like that. The lack of drive and ambition is clear.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2022, 10:45 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: I think he’s toast too. He got his second round money and is happy with it. He somehow looks worse this year compared to last, and when that happens in year two you can pretty much stick a fork in a player like that. The lack of drive and ambition is clear.

Work ethic issues and changing someone's position is something that seems to rarely work out for the Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2022, 10:45 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: I think he’s toast too. He got his second round money and is happy with it. He somehow looks worse this year compared to last, and when that happens in year two you can pretty much stick a fork in a player like that. The lack of drive and ambition is clear.

(08-21-2022, 12:08 AM)TheFan Wrote: Work ethic issues and changing someone's position is something that seems to rarely work out for the Bengals. 

Work ethic is not the problem with Carman I will say it again. It is the way he sets and his hand placement and yes moving 
him out of position to RG last year. He will get better at LG, the question is if he will get better than Volson who is getting a 
shot cause Carman has covid.

We will see how Volson plays tonight and how Carman plays against the Rams in practice if he is ready to go.

This will tell the most going into the opener against Pitt.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 01:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Work ethic is not the problem with Carman I will say it again. It is the way he sets and his hand placement and yes moving 
him out of position to RG last year. He will get better at LG, the question is if he will get better than Volson who is getting a 

We will see how Volson plays tonight and how Carman plays against the Rams in practice if he is ready to go.

I'm hesitant to write Carman totally off so early. But I do have one eyebrow up. We'll see how it plays out.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 04:49 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm hesitant to write Carman totally off so early. But I do have one eyebrow up. We'll see how it plays out.

Cannot blame yah. He wasn't good last Preseason game but he wasn't terrible either like some are saying.

He needs to be good but all the things I mentioned have really been rough on the guy.

Volson playing good would top it off lol

Still he better be ready to go in case Volson sucks as a rookie like most OL do when thrown into the fire.

Tonight will be a big test for Volson going against Leonard Williams and that other DT who is a damn good starter.

Dexter Lawrence or something like that... 

Don't watch the Giants much all I know is Leonard Williams can be a beast at times.
Reply/Quote

I would think they need to add a vet now rather than later.  Already, two guards, a left guard and a right guard, have gone down for the season, one for the Buccaneers and one for the Rams.

The Buccaneers will in particular be pressing for a veteran left guard, having lost Stinnie on Saturday for the season with a torn ACL and MCL. They are down to a rookie who is transitioning from college right tackle and a vet who started one game last year.
Reply/Quote
If there were any vets on the street worth warm spit, they’d be off the street. Until there are serious injuries at the guard spot, we have on the team the players going into the season.

I don’t hate on Carmen yet, we’ll need him this season. For all we know last week he could have been feeling early covid symptoms in the Arizona game. COVID is a wonder virus that hits different people very differently.

Carmen has played well at times, he’s a physical guy with talent. You don’t give up on guys like that before the start of their second season.
Reply/Quote
As of today Cordell Volson is #1 on the depth chart.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 01:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Work ethic is not the problem with Carman I will say it again. It is the way he sets and his hand placement and yes moving 

I like Carman and I want him to succeed. I have no idea if there are work ethic issues, it's just something that seems like it's been discussed a lot and hinted at.

It's weird they haven't really given him a chance to be a RT. Especially given we knew Reiff was likely only going to be a 1 year player. I feel like there's been a lot of times where we try to change a players position after college and it rarely seems to workout. Obviously he was a LT in college but Tackle to Guard seems probably harder than Tackle to Tackle.

LT, to RG, and now LG is a lot of transition for a player so young and learning the league.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 05:35 PM)Nepa Wrote: I would think they need to add a vet now rather than later.  Already, two guards, a left guard and a right guard, have gone down for the season, one for the Buccaneers and one for the Rams.

The Buccaneers will in particular be pressing for a veteran left guard, having lost Stinnie on Saturday for the season with a torn ACL and MCL. They are down to a rookie who is transitioning from college right tackle and a vet who started one game last year.

This is exactly what I was thinking earlier when I saw some of the injuries happening. There's still some good vets out there but I bet interest is gonna pick up on them. We could always make a trade like we did last year. But I wonder if that was more about a perceived weakness on the dline or more about Prices contract about to be up and us not intending on keeping him. 

Tonight will go along way on deciding what we need to do. But even if Volson looks good I still think we need a vet. But if he struggles it has to be an urgent move and I'd say probably 2 players.
Reply/Quote

Isn't that the exact same argument that was made with Ogbuehi by folks regarding him playing RT vs LT? "Sure he was an atrocious RT, but his true position is LT, he'll be better there." 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote