Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Volson with 1st team
(08-17-2022, 09:39 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I never said that, but it looks like he hasnt improved from last year. There's not many great guards ever who were less than dog crap their first 2 seasons. If Carman is getting beat out by a 4th round rookie, I assume he's the same stinky player as he was year 1

if he looked ok, then I wouldnt rule out him maybe becoming a stud later on. But it looks like his ceiling is just above average

Whatever, still think it is WAY too early to think that but okay...
Reply/Quote
Carman jump sets alot which causes him to miss with his hand placement. When he get hands or just a hand into the defenders chest it's over but because hes always firing out he misses. I wish he would quick set more and have some patience.

Edit: Carman flashes so much potential even in that bad preseason game he showed alot of power and speed/athleticism getting to the second level.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 09:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Whatever, still think it is WAY too early to think that but okay...

the talent's there. his problem is something else
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 06:32 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And all of them have been absolute shit.

Not sure about Radunz last year (think he did well, again, not sure).

Crap on them all you want, but they have been putting NFL level talent lately.
They aren't like 'Bama where they get their choice of 5-star recruits. They go after alot of 2-3 stars and coach them up.
They are also one of only two schools that have had 3 qb's drafted in the last 6 years.

And Dillon should be starting RT this year.

Cody Mauch will be coming soon to the NFL, he's already got NFL scouts watching him.
Jake Kubas will be a mid-late round pick as well. 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 09:53 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: the talent's there. his problem is something else

Could it be coaching?
Reply/Quote
From the HS level, he liked to grab opponents and throw them which followed him to Clemson. Still a project.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 09:45 PM)Synric Wrote: Carman jump sets alot which causes him to miss with his hand placement. When he get hands or just a hand into the defenders chest it's over but because hes always firing out he misses. I wish he would quick set more and have some patience.

Edit: Carman flashes so much potential even in that bad preseason game he showed alot of power and speed/athleticism getting to the second level.

I too noticed him quickly to the second level; the problem I saw was he didn't engage anyone at the first level before he moved on. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
What is the status of D'ante Smith?

I was anxious to see what he could do this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 11:51 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: Could it be coaching?

maybe. or maybe it's Carman's head
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 12:40 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What is the status of D'ante Smith?

I was anxious to see what he could do this year.

I thought I read he was back today.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 11:46 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Crap on them all you want, but they have been putting NFL level talent lately.
They aren't like 'Bama where they get their choice of 5-star recruits. They go after alot of 2-3 stars and coach them up.
They are also one of only two schools that have had 3 qb's drafted in the last 6 years.

And Dillon should be starting RT this year.

Cody Mauch will be coming soon to the NFL, he's already got NFL scouts watching him.
Jake Kubas will be a mid-late round pick as well. 

The team as a whole, I'm not complaining; they're produced some more-than-decent talent in the league.

Save for OL. They have all been shitty. We'll see how Radunz does this year.

And I'm not saying Volson will be shitty, but the rest of them have been crap.

I said this after the first game and the ugly rep (plus another on a Burrow highlight), seem to confirm in my eyes; he's strong and holds up well on straight lines, but moving laterally, he is ROUGH. VERY rough.

That's an issue and something you can't coach; not saying he won't win the starting job because of it, but watch him if he has to turn or move laterally; he can't do it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I think Volson beats out Carman for starting LG but I think Carman can still be valuable as that 6th OL we like to bring in in that overload formation. His run blocking is good to great. Something has yet to click with his pass pro. Volson on the other hand is inexperienced but seems more than equipped to play the position at a high level. Everything I've seen from Volson so far has impressed the hell out of me. In a few clips from camp today he seemed to be holding his ground vs Reader. If he can hold his balance and anchor vs Reader give him the spot. Much better than Carman being off-balance and falling into Joe's legs.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
I get being optimistic but be realistic. He was getting bullied by back ups and thier back ups. That ps game was a sad effort.

Volson has the edge to me right now.
Reply/Quote
I like Volson, but the as a rookie. Odds are against him stepping in and being a solid starter. This is not really support for Carman, but I am wary of all the love for Volson.

I still remember how much a lot of people here were about Adeniji. "Great feet." "Best O-lineman at the Senior Bowl." Stuff like that.

And before Adeniji, a lot of people like Fred Johnson and were calling for him to get a chance to start.

After the '17 season there was a lot of love for both Christian Westerman and Alex Redmond based on a handful of snaps they played at the end of the season.

Volson is a 4th round pick from an FCS school. Cappa came out of Humbolt State, so it is possible to find O-linemen from small schools, but they are rarely ready to play as rookies. Alex barely saw the filed his first season.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 09:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I like Volson, but the as a rookie. Odds are against him stepping in and being a solid starter.  This is not really support for Carman, but I am wary of all the love for Volson.

I still remember how much a lot of people here were about Adeniji.  "Great feet."  "Best O-lineman at the Senior Bowl."  Stuff like that.

And before Adeniji, a lot of people like Fred Johnson and were calling for him to get a chance to start.

After the '17 season there was a lot of love for both Christian Westerman and Alex Redmond based on a handful of snaps they played at the end of the season.

Volson is a 4th round pick from an FCS school.  Cappa came out of Humbolt State, so it is possible to find O-linemen from small schools, but they are rarely ready to play as rookies.  Alex barely saw the filed his first season.

I'm not sure it's "love" for Volson as much as it is disappointment in JC. He's merely the best option we currently have.  I've seen lot's of folks pine for option 3 such as: Bring in someone and Option 4; What about Trey Hill. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I think it will be probably revolving door at LG through the year when one of the group struggle for a few games they will slide another in unless we sign a veteran
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 10:41 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm not sure it's "love" for Volson as much as it is disappointment in JC. He's merely the best option we currently have.  

And that was pretty much the same with all the guys I mentioned also.

Personally I am hoping Smith is healthy enough to be a viable option. I think he should be way ahead of Volson, but many fans have been calling for Volson ever since we drafted him.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 09:45 PM)Synric Wrote: Carman jump sets alot which causes him to miss with his hand placement. When he get hands or just a hand into the defenders chest it's over but because hes always firing out he misses. I wish he would quick set more and have some patience.

Exactly this.
He just needs coached.
Crazy concept, I know.  Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 11:26 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And that was pretty much the same with all the guys I mentioned also.

Personally I am hoping Smith is healthy enough to be a viable option. I think he should be way ahead of Volson, but many fans have been calling for Volson ever since we drafted him.

I think most are thinking Smith fits best outside, which is why there isn't more talk about him taking over LG.

Apparently Smith is up to 309 lbs, which is the biggest he's been.
Last year when the Bengals did official weigh-ins, he was 294 lbs.
If he can stay around 310 lbs to go along with his athleticism and insane reach (35.25" arms), he might turn into something.
He needs coaching though, like all late-round OL who didn't fall due to character issues.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Actually Carman wasn't being bullied - the issue is exactly as some have described. He sets too straight up (not enough bend) and his hands are too wide. Add in his premature launching and he is letting defenders get on his chest which removes his leverage. We saw both last season and even in the preseason game on a couple of occasions what happens when he sets correctly and keeps his hands in - he just destroys defenders and drives them back.

The issue here is mental. I would not object to either him (on his own dime) or the team bringing in someone like Munoz or Joe Walter to work 1-1 with Carman on this type of technician stuff.
Reply/Quote