Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vontaze Burfict!
(05-19-2017, 09:34 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I want Burfict to hit him harder than that. If he dies, he dies!

[Image: tumblr_nhynymZVex1tdo66yo2_r1_500.gif]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-19-2017, 01:40 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: In his first 4 games he had 20 solo tackles, 9 assisted tackles, 1.0 sack, 2 Pdef

In the 5 games after that he had 50 solo tackles, 12 assisted tackles, 1.0 sack, 5 Pdef, 2 INT, 1 FF

There is no need for quotation marks around fat. Dude came to training camp fat, and came out of suspension out of shape and visibly slower than normal.

Could easily be chalked up to rust after a 3 game layoff where he wasn't even allowed to practice. Plus his first game was on a Thursday.

If fat (no quotes just for you) were the reason, then why did he get better as the season progressed? That would suggest I'm right about rust, as he didn't lose any of the lbs.

I get it though. You didn't like how he looked. Agree to disagree.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
I went ahead and checked, and Burfict had 1 bad game. His first game off suspension on a short week.

Game 1: 3 total tackles
Game 2: 10 tackles
Game 3: 8 tackles, 1 sack
Game 4: 8 tackles
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(05-19-2017, 11:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I went ahead and checked, and Burfict had 1 bad game. His first game off suspension on a short week.

In his first game back I remember him defending a pass from Jarvis Landry on 3rd down I believe. (It was 1st down)

Edit: http://m.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Vontaze-Burfict-deflects-pass-while-covering-Jarvis-Landry/6e3e27fa-ef0c-487f-949a-1a06c306a0c7

Also the Dolphins only had 13 rushing attempts, so not many tackles to go around!! Carlos and Dennard had the most that game with a whopping 4 tackles.
(05-19-2017, 11:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I went ahead and checked, and Burfict had 1 bad game. His first game off suspension on a short week.

Even his first game wasn't bad.... To his team mates.

Burfict ended his three-game suspension in typical fashion Thursday night with a rambunctious, active night where he played all but 11 snaps in the 22-7 win over the Dolphins at Paul Brown Stadium and his teammates didn't think it was a coincidence his 2016 debut matched the strongest defensive effort of the season.

No red-zone appearances for the Dolphins. The Bengals prevented first downs on third down 12 out of 15 times, pitched seven three-and-outs, and in the final 54 minutes held Miami to 148 yards.

"It's amazing to see the plays he made there," said left end [/url]Carlos Dunlap[Image: icon-article-link.gif], who put a mark in all but two defensive categories. "Those are football instinctive plays. Those are things you can't coach. He came off the couch and played like he's been with us the whole time. We're glad to have him because we've got him for the long haul now. We just need to get his wind back."

But defensive coordinator Paul Guenther did such a nice sleight of hand rotating his linebackers; you didn't know who got the bulk of it. When the dust settled, Burfict (36) outplayed them all with [url=http://www.bengals.com/]Vincent Rey[Image: icon-article-link.gif]
 (15), Rey Maualuga[Image: icon-article-link.gif] (23) and Karlos Dansby[Image: icon-article-link.gif](22)having their snaps even out after playing heavily in the first three games.

"I think I was pretty good," Burfict said of his football shape. "I wasn't too winded. I had great help from my teammates calling out the plays because yelling at everybody can get you tired.  My linebackers helped get the call to the secondary and linebackers."

"I felt I could have done more, but the coaches had a plan for me and switched me in and out with Vinny and Karlos and they did a good job of that," Burfict said. "At the end of the game, I started to feel my wind catching up, but every game I'll feel like I'll get better and better and get my legs up under me."
(05-19-2017, 09:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: In the immortal words of one Chick Ludwig:  

"I am ready to run through a wall with snot bubbles!!!"

This team has something to prove on both sides of the ball.  

They have something they have been lacking on both sides of the ball:  speed.  Speed to stretch the offensive field.  Speed to get the edge and rush the passer.  Speed to cover TEs and RBs out of the backfield.  Speed to stay with WRs downfield.  (Just try and show up out of shape this year, Jones, your ass will be riding pine).  Speed in the backfield.  Speed, speed, speed!!!

They also have BEEF.  Beef on the defensive line.  Billings-  BEEF.  Lawson playing SAM- BEEF.  My nordic viking connection Fej- BEEF (I think we are going to see more of this guy...just a hunch).  And maybe the FA signing from Colorado, Josh Topau- DOUBLE BEEF.

They also have a new kicker!  When was the last time I was excited about that?

Something to prove + SPEED + BEEF + New Kicker = SUPER BOWL VICTORY!!!

(More snot bubbles)

Quit it SHRacer. This is too exciting, seriously if you and i are correct about the O-line this team could carry the ineptness of Marv.

This is the best team he has ever had on paper on both sides of the ball with playmakers no question. Rock On

You mentioned the Billings again, yeah baby. This right here along with a MIKE that can both cover and tackle is some sweet stuff.

Been calling for this for awhile and i couldn't of picked two better players to do it than Billings and Minter.
(05-19-2017, 11:18 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: In his first game back I remember him defending a pass from Jarvis Landry on 3rd down I believe.  (It was 1st down)

Edit: http://m.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Vontaze-Burfict-deflects-pass-while-covering-Jarvis-Landry/6e3e27fa-ef0c-487f-949a-1a06c306a0c7

Also the Dolphins only had 13 rushing attempts, so not many tackles to go around!!  Carlos and Dennard had the most that game with a whopping 4 tackles.

Yep, i rememer that play, great pass breakup. Seemed to change the whole game around.

We went on to dominate after that play on a team that ended up making the Playoffs.
There is always the possibility of this defense being the absolute shut down D giving up the fewest points in the league. I'm much more excited about fewest points than any other statistic. If we had to sacrifice sacks and all the other snazzy stats for 0 points allowed I'd take that any day. 
If the D is absolutely great the O doesn't have to be as great, but boy howdy, if both are absolutely great then we have a seriously exciting season to look forward to.
Sorry, I'm not going to pee myself over any of this and even if I do I'm not going to admit I just peed my pants. I'll just quietly go change.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

(05-19-2017, 12:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Quit it SHRacer. This is too exciting, seriously if you and i are correct about the O-line this team could carry the ineptness of Marv.

This is the best team he has ever had on paper on both sides of the ball with playmakers no question. Rock On

You mentioned the Billings again, yeah baby. This right here along with a MIKE that can both cover and tackle is some sweet stuff.

Been calling for this for awhile and i couldn't of picked two better players to do it than Billings and Minter.

Billings was interviewed last year on one of the Bengal's Line shows last year at some bar...probably The Holy Grail.  I loved listening to him.  Very self-aware man.  He basically said his job was "to eat up double teams".  When questioned about getting sacks, he said "they did single me a few times, which was a mistake", but he went on to say he takes pride in eating double teams and pushing the pocket "so my boys can eat!".

Geno, Dunlap, MJ, Lawson, and my guy Willis might be eating very well this year.

I know you said stop, but I can't!!!  
(05-19-2017, 12:53 PM)grampahol Wrote: There is always the possibility of this defense being the absolute shut down D giving up the fewest points in the league. I'm much more excited about fewest points than any other statistic. If we had to sacrifice sacks and all the other snazzy stats for 0 points allowed I'd take that any day. 
If the D is absolutely great the O doesn't have to be as great, but boy howdy, if both are absolutely great then we have a seriously exciting season to look forward to.
Sorry, I'm not going to pee myself over any of this and even if I do I'm not going to admit I just peed my pants. I'll just quietly go change.  

[Image: billy-madison-pee-you-aint-cool-unless-y...-pants.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(05-19-2017, 01:42 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Billings was interviewed last year on one of the Bengal's Line shows last year at some bar...probably The Holy Grail.  I loved listening to him.  Very self-aware man.  He basically said his job was "to eat up double teams".  When questioned about getting sacks, he said "they did single me a few times, which was a mistake", but he went on to say he takes pride in eating double teams and pushing the pocket "so my boys can eat!".

Geno, Dunlap, MJ, Lawson, and my guy Willis might be eating very well this year.

Hard not to be excited about this D-line man. Good stuff on Billings, he is a smart young man to go along
with his super strength. That is the thing, if they don't double Billings it will be a mistake and if they don't
double Geno it will be a mistake. Pick your poison, either way it ends badly.

Clarke played decent too in limited snaps last year. Hell of a rotation and i actually think MJ might be a
very good backup, he just shouldn't be starting on passing downs unless it is only for batting down balls.

MJ is just not a good pass rusher, but Dunlap, Willis, Lawson, Geno are all very good pass rushers.

Losing Peko and Hunt and adding these guys was great for this team. Also like the backups in Glasgow,
Tapou, Hardison, DeShawn for the final spots. Stacked.
Would love to see the OL surprise everyone as you guys suggest. Getting super stoked.

(05-19-2017, 01:42 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Billings was interviewed last year on one of the Bengal's Line shows last year at some bar...probably The Holy Grail.  I loved listening to him.  Very self-aware man.  He basically said his job was "to eat up double teams".  When questioned about getting sacks, he said "they did single me a few times, which was a mistake", but he went on to say he takes pride in eating double teams and pushing the pocket "so my boys can eat!".

When I saw Billings giving that interview yesterday, my first thought was that man has a rock solid chin!! The guy is a block of granite and yes I will pee my pants the 1st time I see him knock DeCastro on his backside when he pulls!! This D has me excited for the upcoming season, the speed will help a lot but hopefully the tackling is better!!!
(05-19-2017, 02:30 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Would love to see the OL surprise everyone as you guys suggest. Getting super stoked.

You and me both, my Bengals Brother!!!
(05-19-2017, 01:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hard not to be excited about this D-line man. Good stuff on Billings, he is a smart young man to go along
with his super strength. That is the thing, if they don't double Billings it will be a mistake and if they don't

Clarke played decent too in limited snaps last year. Hell of a rotation and i actually think MJ might be a
very good backup, he just shouldn't be starting on passing downs unless it is only for batting down balls.

MJ is just not a good pass rusher, but Dunlap, Willis, Lawson, Geno are all very good pass rushers.

Losing Peko and Hunt and adding these guys was great for this team. Also like the backups in Glasgow,
Tapou at 350 lbs will be a nightmare for the rest of the AFCN centers. A little taste of their own medicine! 1st he has to make the team though  Tongue
(05-19-2017, 02:48 PM)sandwedge Wrote: When I saw Billings giving that interview yesterday, my first thought was that man has a rock solid chin!! The guy is a block of granite and yes I will pee my pants the 1st time I see him knock DeCastro on his backside when he pulls!! This D has me excited for the upcoming season, the speed will help a lot but hopefully the tackling is better!!!

Yeah, this is no Peko Decastro...

The Linebackers should be much better this year with Haslett having a year in the bag.

Thought he did a poor job last year of having them in the right position.

The Minter addition and Burfict being in great shape helps tons.
(05-19-2017, 02:52 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Tapou at 350 lbs will be a nightmare for the rest of the AFCN centers. A little taste of their own medicine! 1st he has to make the team though  Tongue

Seems like the perfect Billings backup run stopper. The other DT's are mostly 3-techs besides Glasgow.

That should be the battle and we still could list Glasgow as an O-lineman to get him on the roster.
(05-19-2017, 02:52 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Tapou at 350 lbs will be a nightmare for the rest of the AFCN centers. A little taste of their own medicine! 1st he has to make the team though  Tongue

Good Lord son.ive been searching this guys name for 5 minutes and couldn't find it. It's Tupou. Lol (at least I think).

From NFL.com:

Overview

Tupou came from a football family where three cousins have played or are playing college football and his uncle, Viliami Mauau played at CU and with the Denver Broncos in the 1990s. He almost lost his right to complete his football career, however, after being charged with assault at a campus party in Boulder. That action cost him the entire 2015 season. Scouts were excited to see him that year after he garnered honorable mention All-Pac12 honors in 2014 (29 tackles, four for loss, three sacks). He had dropped 25 pounds before the 2013 season, and he started 12 games that year (34 tackles, three TFL), just one season after playing through a sprained ankle with the extra weight as a true freshman in 2012 (16 tackles, 4.5 TFL). Tupou finished his career on a high note, earning honorable mention all-conference accolades again in 2016 by making a career-high 45 tackles, four for loss, and two sacks.

Analysis

Strengths

Wide as a house. Squatty frame with big, strong legs. Can drop a heavy anchor and man his area of the turf. Centers struggle to get any kind of movement against him without help. Space-eater who can post and eat up the gaps. Good upper body strength to fend off shoulder or hip-torque moves to tilt him off balance.
Weaknesses

Might be playing a little too heavy. Stiff and slow. Has extremely limited area of effectiveness. Can be slow to unhinge from his block and pursue the play. Lacks functional lateral movement to stay on the play-side of the run. Slow out of stance and gets hooked by guards. No pass-rush value. Lacks ability to impact a game outside of his small area.
Draft Projection

Rounds 5-6
Bottom Line

Does one thing and one thing only -- eat up space. Doesn't have enough reactive quickness or even functional movement to find himself in many plays that aren't right at him, but his size and anchor gives him a shot with a team who values pure girth for early downs.
-Lance Zierlein

Burfict was the best linebacker in the NFL the last 9 weeks of the season...and that was him out of shape...look out NFL

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
(05-19-2017, 01:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hard not to be excited about this D-line man. Good stuff on Billings, he is a smart young man to go along

Hardison is kind of a forgotten man.  Really liked him coming out of college and looked good early last year, but just couldn't stay healthy.  He is, essentially, in his contract year as well.  A former fourth rounder, he will surely get his shot this season.

And I completely agree about MJ.  The drafting of Lawson and Willis proves what most of us on here already knew, MJ offers little to no pass rush.  A solid run defender, but that is about it.  

Cue the "MJ was in the top 80% of DEs that farted near the opponent's QB" arguments.