Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carson: Prez shouldn't be Muslim; Muslim Congressmen might be ok...
(09-22-2015, 03:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm surprised how many here would be OK with a President whose religious belief is to deny women equal rights.

I'm with Ben on this one.

I'd prefer the president to not have religious beliefs.....but for some reason you're only electable if you believe in wild creation and afterlife tales with no supporting evidence.  Wacky, really.

I know that every president in the near future will publicly say that they have religious beliefs, but as long as they aren't trying to create laws based on those beliefs, I'm cool with it.  You have a muslim president that wants to deny rights to women?  That's illegal.  Just as it is for a Christian president that wants to deny rights to gays.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-23-2015, 09:39 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Would love to see a muslim try and force women in this country to wear a hood and not drive.    Would be quite funny.

I'm sure if we had a Christian president he'd force women to marry their rapists as the Bible dictates.  Thank god we don't have religious people in positions of office! Ninja
(09-22-2015, 08:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Whether folks like it or not our country was founded on Christian principles    

I always laugh when I hear or read a conservative Christian repeat this myth.  I think they believe if they repeat it often enough it might actually make it true.

Jamestown is the oldest English settlement in North America.  It was founded by entrepreneurs looking to get rich.  The Pilgrims looking for freedom from religious persecution came later.  Who was persecuting the Pilgrims?  Other Christians.  As soon as there was more than one religious group in the New World they quickly began persecuting each other all over again.  You would lose your shit if you ran into a Pilgrim.  For one, they believed in predestination and nothing you did or didn't do during your Earthly life affected what happened to your soul in the afterlife because God had predetermined your fate before creation itself.  Accepting Jesus Christ as your Savior didn't save you if you were predestined for Hell.  They didn't celebrate Christmas or Easter (as man made holidays) so modern day Christians were be pissed off at their aversion to "Merry Christmas."  (They have a good point because Jesus Christ wasn't born on December 25th.)  Crosses were idolatry.  I believe formal, scripted prayer was a sin.

This country was founded upon the principles of natural law and natural rights over the king's law.  Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are Age of Enlightenment things, not a Christian things.  (Hell, the Church still won't admit burning Giordano Bruno at the stake was a mistake.) The American Revolution was prompted by unfair taxation withou representation, not religious persecution.
(09-24-2015, 11:38 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I always laugh when I hear or read a conservative Christian repeat this myth.  I think they believe if they repeat it often enough it might actually make it true.

Jamestown is the oldest English settlement in North America.  It was founded by entrepreneurs looking to get rich.  The Pilgrims looking for freedom from religious persecution came later.  Who was persecuting the Pilgrims?  Other Christians.  As soon as there was more than one religious group in the New World they quickly began persecuting each other all over again.  You would lose your shit if you ran into a Pilgrim.  For one, they believed in predestination and nothing you did or didn't do during your Earthly life affected what happened to your soul in the afterlife because God had predetermined your fate before creation itself.  Accepting Jesus Christ as your Savior didn't save you if you were predestined for Hell.  They didn't celebrate Christmas or Easter (as man made holidays) so modern day Christians were be pissed off at their aversion to "Merry Christmas."  (They have a good point because Jesus Christ wasn't born on December 25th.)  Crosses were idolatry.  I believe formal, scripted prayer was a sin.

This country was founded upon the principles of natural law and natural rights over the king's law.  Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are Age of Enlightenment things, not a Christian things.  (Hell, the Church still won't admit burning Giordano Bruno at the stake was a mistake.) The American Revolution was prompted by unfair taxation withou representation, not religious persecution.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ben-carson-islam-doctrines-muslim-president

Quote:CNN "State of the Union" host Jake Tapper grilled Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson on his comments about Muslims in an interview that aired Sunday until his campaign manager off-screen ended the interview.

Carson, a retired neurosurgeon, said last week, "I would not advocate that we put a Muslim in charge of this nation." The comment drew criticism from both Republicans and Democrats.

On Sunday, Tapper asked Carson about his comments.

"I would have problems with somebody who embraced all the doctrines associated with Islam," Carson said. "If they are not willing to reject Sharia and all the portions of it that are talked about in the Quran — if they are not willing to reject that, and subject that to American values and the Constitution, then of course, I would."

Tapper and Carson spent several minutes of back and forth.

"You're assuming that Muslim Americans put their religion ahead of the country," Tapper said to Carson.

"I'm assuming that if you accept all the tenets of Islam that you would have a very difficult time abiding under the Constitution of the United States," Carson replied.

The conversation ended when a voice off-camera, which CNN identified as Carson's campaign manager, Armstrong Williams said, "This interview is over."

Watch the full interview from CNN:

That's a very solid answer.  The follow up should have been about people who work for the government putting their Christian faith and Bible teachings ahead of the constitution.

Instead the manager bail him out.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-22-2015, 08:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Are you suggesting that Christians and Muslims are similar of the beliefs on women's rights and homosexuality?

Yes, they are very close.

Both think women should be subservient to men and both think homosexuality is an abomination.

You do realize that they both worship the same god, right? 

And you also realize that there are moderates and extremists in both religions, don't you?
(09-24-2015, 11:38 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I always laugh when I hear or read a conservative Christian repeat this myth.  I think they believe if they repeat it often enough it might actually make it true.

Forgot to mention they believed marriage was strictly a civic function. Shocked
(09-29-2015, 11:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes, they are very close.

Both think women should be subservient to men and both think homosexuality is an abomination.

You do realize that they both worship the same god, right? 

And you also realize that there are moderates and extremists in both religions, don't you?

I guess my home or the homes of anyone I know didn't get the memo where the women were to be subservient to the men and we were suppose to call gays an abomination.

Guess they only sent that memo to the atheist homes.
(09-30-2015, 02:09 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I guess my home or the homes of anyone I know didn't get the memo where the women were to be subservient to the men and we were suppose to call gays an abomination.  

The women are just suppose to be "proper" and gays can move if they don't like the way they are treated.

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-30-2015, 02:09 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I guess my home or the homes of anyone I know didn't get the memo where the women were to be subservient to the men and we were suppose to call gays an abomination.  

"Your" too easy . . .

Wives, submit to your own husbands  Ephesians 5:22

Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands  1 Peter 3:1

Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness  1 Timothy 2:11

Your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you  Genesis 3:16

the head of a wife is her husband 1 Corinthians 11:3

Wives, submit to your husbands Colossians 3:18

To be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands  Titus 2:5

The women should keep silent in the churches.  For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission 1 Corinthians 14:34

If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death Leviticus 20:13

LMAO
(09-30-2015, 02:47 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: "Your" too easy . . .

Wives, submit to your own husbands  Ephesians 5:22

Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands  1 Peter 3:1

Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness  1 Timothy 2:11

Your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you  Genesis 3:16

the head of a wife is her husband 1 Corinthians 11:3

Wives, submit to your husbands Colossians 3:18

To be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands  Titus 2:5

The women should keep silent in the churches.  For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission 1 Corinthians 14:34

If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death Leviticus 20:13

LMAO

StLucie is just gonna respond by saying "I'm not gonna listen to anything you have to say about the Bible, cuz you're an atheist who hates Gawd". Trust me on this one.
(09-30-2015, 02:57 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: StLucie is just gonna respond by saying "I'm not gonna listen to anything you have to say about the Bible, cuz you're an atheist who hates Gawd". Trust me on this one.

That's fine.  But, if he actually read the Bible he would know better.

Many Christian denominations — including Baptists — won't accept female leadership, and some practitioners extend that outside the congregation. There's something in first Corinthians about keeping women silent that's usually the basis.And there's another one where their bodies aren't their own.

But, if I remember right, it's all OT stuff. Which has a lot more in common with Islam than some people think, including homosexuals, women, and odd food requirements.
(09-30-2015, 03:45 PM)Benton Wrote: Many Christian denominations — including Baptists — won't accept female leadership, and some practitioners extend that outside the congregation. There's something in first Corinthians about keeping women silent that's usually the basis.And there's another one where their bodies aren't their own.

But, if I remember right, it's all OT stuff. Which has a lot more in common with Islam than some people think, including homosexuals, women, and odd food requirements.

Well Corinthians is obviously NT. But yeah. I was raised Baptist. Those folks love the parts of the OT that teach good old fashioned American values like the inferiority/stupidity/ickiness of women, God's hatred for gays and the creation myth, but have about 1,000 excuses per verse for the parts they don't like--mostly the diet restrictions and polygamy. Funny how that works.
(09-30-2015, 03:45 PM)Benton Wrote: Many Christian denominations — including Baptists — won't accept female leadership, and some practitioners extend that outside the congregation. There's something in first Corinthians about keeping women silent that's usually the basis.And there's another one where their bodies aren't their own.

Even though I had seen women in the ministry in the CoB, it is still a little weird with the Lutheran church I am attending and their female pastor (they have a man and a woman, weekly attendance is over 300). My wife and I are having dinner with her and her husband this evening, the invitation was "coffee, dinner, a beer, whatever" which, let me tell you, was freakin' weird. I mean, CoB and drinking was like oil and water. Even communion was with grape juice.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-30-2015, 05:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Even though I had seen women in the ministry in the CoB, it is still a little weird with the Lutheran church I am attending and their female pastor (they have a man and a woman, weekly attendance is over 300). My wife and I are having dinner with her and her husband this evening, the invitation was "coffee, dinner, a beer, whatever" which, let me tell you, was freakin' weird. I mean, CoB and drinking was like oil and water. Even communion was with grape juice.

I was raised Church of Christ. The part at the end where everyone lines up and greets the pastor on the way out? Women didn't shake hands. They just bowed and said their salutations to the male pastor as they passed. And same with the grape juice.

But it was also the church that taught dancing was a sin, so the other stuff isn't too surprising looking back.
(09-30-2015, 05:42 PM)Benton Wrote: I was raised Church of Christ. The part at the end where everyone lines up and greets the pastor on the way out? Women didn't shake hands. They just bowed and said their salutations to the male pastor as they passed. And same with the grape juice.

But it was also the church that taught dancing was a sin, so the other stuff isn't too surprising looking back.

How many degrees are you removed from Kevin Bacon?
(09-30-2015, 08:26 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: How many degrees are you removed from Kevin Bacon?

LOL

He came to my town once. Shook his head and said "even i can't help this place."

They modernized by the time I was in high school and started offering an alternative prom. Basically it was a lot of teenagers on a hay ride making s'mores and not listening to music (also a no no).
(09-30-2015, 08:49 PM)Benton Wrote: They modernized by the time I was in high school and started offering an alternative prom. Basically it was a lot of teenagers on a hay ride making s'mores and not listening to music (also a no no).

When I started college I went to a small Southern Baptist college (Carson-Newman) because everyone knows that you should choose a college based on where you can play football. Rolleyes 

Dancing was forbidden on campus.

I didn't last very long there.