Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
WR Trent Taylor signed
I like this signing and would prefer him to Erickson. As a WR, I think he is better and holds more upside. The knocks - comparatively - are that he needs to be able to stay healthy and that he made some mistakes (early after coming back from injury) as punt returner. There was buzz about him after a promising start. I'm not saying this has any resemblance of a slam dunk signing, but I do think it makes sense and could see this turning out to be another possible upgrade at a position from the previous season's roster.
Reply/Quote
Was signed for his punt return experience, which another body doesn't hurt. Not the fastest guy though. Ran a 4.63 before he was drafted.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 02:19 PM)pally Wrote: Nah, the 18 is safe for another year.  He is going to wear John Ross's #11 (it is on the website roster)

If he starts dropping the ball, then we know #11 is cursed.
Reply/Quote
Can’t wait to hear the squealing that he doesn’t play lb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I like it. Sounds like the guy went through a lot with an infection after surgery and multiple follow up surgeries on his foot. Last year was his first year after all that crap. So hopefully he is back healthy and confident. They had high hopes for him in SF before that. And I would gladly take 10 yards per punt return if he could keep that up. Not a physically gifted WR but seems to be that friendly to the QB crafty guy a team could always use.

Erickson and his ability to stay healthy were underrated. Hopefully Taylor can stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
Whatever. Yay I guess
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 05:47 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I like it. Sounds like the guy went through a lot with an infection after surgery and multiple follow up surgeries on his foot. Last year was his first year after all that crap. So hopefully he is back healthy and confident. They had high hopes for him in SF before that. And I would gladly take 10 yards per punt return if he could keep that up. Not a physically gifted WR but seems to be that friendly to the QB crafty guy a team could always use.

Erickson and his ability to stay healthy were underrated. Hopefully Taylor can stay healthy.

I was “meh” before, but now that I realize he has a gangrenous foot that’s been through multiple surgical procedures and invasive measures, I’m fully on board. Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Seems like an upgrade to Erickson. I'm okay with it, still hoping for DeDe though. Then WR room is complete.
Reply/Quote
Does this guy play LB, because we sure could use help there. Mellow

Seriously though, we needed a guy like this, but now can we please turn our focus to the o-line and LBs?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I like the Taylor pickup just because we have Chase, Higgins, and Boyd, but I think he could offer us a change of looks just to give the defenses something they have to account for underneath and over the middle.

I'm not saying he'll be a superstar, but I think he could offer us something that Burrow could like in a little guy that knows how to get open and can occupy defenders.

Just a little guy running crazy all over the field! Very tough for backers to follow him out of the slot. Defenses lose track of him.

Like I said, not saying he'll be a superstar, but you have defenses freaking out over Chase, Higgins, and Boyd deep, and then Taylor makes an inside to outside cut on a linebacker and is wide open.
Reply/Quote
Will he be the primary target on 4th quarter drives like Erickson was? Whatever
Reply/Quote
Good to see Zac rebuild the team with the same characters that got him under .500 record. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
I'm still expecting some kind of battle for the PR spot. Taylor will most likely stick just to be our backup slot WR.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 12:14 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Will he be the primary target on 4th quarter drives like Erickson was? Whatever

If he's the only one close to being open, then yes.

If Chase and Taylor can get open running Cincinnati Bengal routes . . . it's not as easy as you think. A factor not often added into previews and ratings of WRs is that Cincinnati doesn't run crossing routes or drag routes anywhere near as much as the rest of the league. They did run them when Jay Gruden was the OC but I figured that Dalton maybe had an accuracy problem with those routes so they removed them after he left. I had hopes of seeing those routes when Zac Taylor was hired but I hardly saw any with Dalton in 2019 or Burrow in 2020.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 02:44 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Was signed for his punt return experience, which another body doesn't hurt.  Not the fastest guy though.  Ran a 4.63 before he was drafted.

I looked up his combine numbers and found the following interesting numbers:

He isn't quite 5'8".  Short guy with short arms.  

He is over 180 lbs.  Judging by the picture as well, he is pretty stout.  That is actually a good thing.  

His 40 time is not impressive, but his short shuttle (4.01) and his 3-cone (6.76) were incredibly impressive.  He also had great burst off the line in his 10 yard split.  

I will likely get killed for this, and while his size is a little shorter (not much) and lighter (again, not much) than this guy, his testing is almost the exact same scores as former UDFA, Wes Welker.  Same 40 time, same short shuttle, same vertical.   Add in that he is an experienced NFL punt returner and I think the Bengals might have their backup slot WR.  
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 11:57 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Yawn.....we went from De De Westbrook to this schmo.

Seriously
Y not just bring back Erickson then. Bengals still doing dumb stuff
Reply/Quote
You know it's deep in the offseason when there is an online battle over binging in training camp competition for back up punt returner
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 11:34 AM)yang Wrote: You know it's deep in the offseason when there is an online battle over binging in training camp competition for back up punt returner

Lol
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 09:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I looked up his combine numbers and found the following interesting numbers:

He isn't quite 5'8".  Short guy with short arms.  

He is over 180 lbs.  Judging by the picture as well, he is pretty stout.  That is actually a good thing.  

His 40 time is not impressive, but his short shuttle (4.01) and his 3-cone (6.76) were incredibly impressive.  He also had great burst off the line in his 10 yard split.  

I will likely get killed for this, and while his size is a little shorter (not much) and lighter (again, not much) than this guy, his testing is almost the exact same scores as former UDFA, Wes Welker.  Same 40 time, same short shuttle, same vertical.   Add in that he is an experienced NFL punt returner and I think the Bengals might have their backup slot WR.  

Makes me like this signing more, thanks SHRacer, hope Trent becomes something like Wes for us. 

Sounds like a nice backup Slot WR. Love that short shuttle time, says a lot.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 10:06 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Seriously
Y not just bring back Erickson then.  Bengals still doing dumb stuff

Erickson signed with the Texans two months ago.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote