Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WR room, who makes the 53 ?
We all know Tee, Tyler, and Ja'Marr are locks. But who are the other 3 or 4 that make the team ?

Rookies list:

Malachi Carter #88 6' 2" 191 lbs. Georgia Tech

Mac Hippenhammer #14 5' 11' 177 lbs. Miami (Ohio)

Andrei Iosivas #80 6'3" 212 lbs. Princeton

Shedrick Jackson #12 6'1" 195 lbs. Auburn

Charlie Jones #15 6'0" 188 lbs. Purdue

Vets:

Trenton Irwin #16 6'2" 200 lbs. 4th season

Kwamie Lassiter II #18 5'11' 185 1st season

Stanley Morgan #17 6' 205 lbs. 5th season

Trent Taylor #11 5'8" 181 6th season

As it does every year the #'s 4,5,6, and 7 (if there is a 7) come down to special teams. Right now they have 1st team PR Trent Taylor, 2nd Charlie Jones. KR 1st team Chris Evans 2nd Charlie Jones.

Who makes the final cut here will be very interesting.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Being a 4th round pick I'd guess there's a pretty good chance Charlie Jones makes the team. And even though he's a 6th rounder I don't really see them taking a chance on putting Iosivas on the P.S.

Trenton Irwin is well liked and did have some contribution down the stretch last year. So I'm sure they'll be thinking hard about keeping him on. Taylor being PR man is gonna be hard to cut.

Lots of questions.
Reply/Quote
Trent Irwin is a lock at WR4

Andrei Iosivas seems to be doing enough to make the 53

Then it comes down to probably Jones, Taylor, and Morgan for the last 1 or 2 slots. Lassiter has a shot at one of those positions. Jones needs to up his game but he may not survive the PS. He has a torn labrum so I could see them stashing him on IR if it turns out he is not quite ready due to the shoulder.

It is going to come down to special team needs. Either Jones or Taylor makes the 53 not both

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I just hope we don't make the HUGE mistake like I was told they did last year by releasing Kendric Pryor.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 06:43 PM)pally Wrote: Trent Irwin is a lock at WR4

Then it comes down to probably Jones, Taylor, and Morgan for the last 1 or 2 slots.  Lassiter has a shot at one of those positions.  Jones needs to up his game but he may not survive the PS.  He has a torn labrum so I could see them stashing him on IR if it turns out he is not quite ready due to the shoulder.

It is going to come down to special team needs.  Either Jones or Taylor makes the 53 not both

Agree, my sort of gut feeling is Taylor gets released
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 07:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I just hope we don't make the HUGE mistake like I was told they did last year by releasing Kendric Pryor.

Exactly  Ninja

Who was that guy oh was it ML's last year? Just tore it up in preseason at WR. Then fell flat on his face when it got real.

Just looked him up. It was ZT's first season - Damion Willis. 
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 07:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I just hope we don't make the HUGE mistake like I was told they did last year by releasing Kendric Pryor.

You are mis remembering the argument they did make a mistake cutting Kendric Pryor.

The argument was cutting Pryor for Morgan and Thomas who both got a shot playing in 2022 because of injuries and one was even cut a week or two later. They ended up dipping into the practice squad for Trenton Irwin.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 08:06 PM)Synric Wrote: You are mis remembering the argument they did make a mistake cutting Kendric Pryor.

The argument was cutting Pryor for Morgan and Thomas who both got a shot playing in 2022 because of injuries and one was even cut a week or two later. They ended up dipping into the practice squad for Trenton Irwin.

Even if I remembered it that way; those folks were wrong too. Morgan and Thomas were key ST players for us while Kendric and I were tied ln NFL snap last year. 

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 08:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Even if I remembered it that way; those folks were wrong too. Morgan and Thomas were key ST players for us while Kendric and I were tied ln NFL snap last year. 

Michael Thomas was cut week 9 or 10 so he wasn't key anything. The Bengals went 3 starters and 3 career special teamers as backups in 2022. It was a mistake cutting a guy that gave them something in the pre-season over keeping 3 career special teamers as their only WR depth. Injuries proved this to be true that's why they drafted two.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 09:37 PM)Synric Wrote: Michael Thomas was cut week 9 or 10 so he wasn't key anything. The Bengals went 3 starters and 3 career special teamers as backups in 2022. It was a mistake cutting a guy that gave them something in the pre-season over keeping 3 career special teamers as their only WR depth. Injuries proved this to be true that's why they drafted two.

....or we drafted 2 because Tee and Tyler are in the last year. of their contracts. So it's either that or we made a mistake cutting Pryor. We'll just agree to disagree (even though I'm right). We had plenty pass catchers at WR. There are 3 phases to the game. 

15 players caught passes for Jax last year. Kendrick and I were tied for 16

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 06:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We all know Tee, Tyler, and Ja'Marr are locks. But who are the other 3 or 4 that make the team ?

Rookies list:

Malachi Carter #88 6' 2" 191 lbs. Georgia Tech

Mac Hippenhammer #14 5' 11' 177 lbs.  Miami (Ohio)

Andrei Iosivas #80 6'3" 212 lbs.  Princeton

Shedrick Jackson #12 6'1" 195 lbs.  Auburn

Charlie Jones #15 6'0" 188 lbs. Purdue

Vets:

Trenton Irwin #16 6'2" 200 lbs. 4th season

Kwamie Lassiter II #18 5'11' 185 1st season

Stanley Morgan #17 6' 205 lbs. 5th season

Trent Taylor #11 5'8" 181 6th season

As it does every year the #'s 4,5,6, and 7 (if there is a 7) come down to special teams. Right now they have 1st team PR Trent Taylor, 2nd Charlie Jones. KR 1st team Chris Evans 2nd Charlie Jones.

Who makes the final cut here will be very interesting.

I'm going to go with 
Tee
Chase
Tyler
Iosivas
Jones
Irwin
Morgan
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 09:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ....or we drafted 2 because Tee and Tyler are in the last year. of their contracts. So it's either that or we made a mistake cutting Pryor. We'll just agree to disagree (even though I'm right). We had plenty pass catchers at WR. There are 3 phases to the game. 

15 players caught passes for Jax last year. Kendrick and I were tied for 16

14 players caught passes for the Bengals doesnt change the fact they Bengals cut Michael Thomas mid season and I bet you didnt look as good in the pre season as Pryor in 2022... neither did Thomas. 

Reply/Quote
Pryor was inactive every game so he didnt have much of a chance to prove anything. He would have been better off not even getting claimed because he would have eventually seen the field for the Bengals at some point last year. Even Lassiter was active for a game. Would Pryor have contributed anything? Who knows. If he does get cut this year, the Bengals should think about trying to sign him to the practice squad.

As for the current group of guys vying for those spots, the only ones that have a chance right now of being on the 53 man roster are Jones, Iosivas, Irwin, Taylor and Morgan. I think the closest one to being a lock is Irwin. With Jones having a torn labrum, he may be looking at a spot on the IR which could open up a roster spot for Taylor. I dont see Taylor and Jones both making the 53 man. I think its one or the other. Iosivas looked pretty good but I think he needs to show more in the next couple of weeks to get a spot on the roster. He needs to come up with some big plays or if he can show he has the ability to play special teams, I think he makes the 53 man roster. Im not a fan of Morgan but the coaching staff seems to love him regardless if he offers nothing at the WR position.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 10:27 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm going to go with 
Tee
Chase
Tyler
Iosivas
Jones
Irwin
Morgan

Boyd?
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2023, 12:18 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Boyd?

Tyler
Reply/Quote
I currently see it as...

Chase
Higgins
Boyd
Jones
Iosivas
Irwin

Taylor holding onto the PR job is the only way I see them keeping 7, and even then I could see them going with 6 and trying to send Irwin to the PS again. I can't see us keeping a 7th for a non-returner ST's player, because the DB room is just too loaded. You can make a legit case for 7 CB's (Chido, CTB, Hilton, Turner, Jones, Ivey, Davis) and/or 5 S's (Dax, Scott, Battle, Thomas, Anderson) and the extra man at either position would be a much better position player than Morgan.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2023, 01:09 AM)Whatever Wrote: I currently see it as...

Chase
Higgins
Boyd
Jones
Iosivas
Irwin

Taylor holding onto the PR job is the only way I see them keeping 7, and even then I could see them going with 6 and trying to send Irwin to the PS again.  I can't see us keeping a 7th for a non-returner ST's player, because the DB room is just too loaded.  You can make a legit case for 7 CB's (Chido, CTB, Hilton, Turner, Jones, Ivey, Davis) and/or 5 S's (Dax, Scott, Battle, Thomas, Anderson) and the extra man at either position would be a much better position player than Morgan.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2023, 12:46 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Tyler

lol. Misread, I saw Taylor lol
Reply/Quote
I think we keep 7

Big 3
Irwin
Jones
Yoshi
Morgan
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 06:43 PM)pally Wrote: Trent Irwin is a lock at WR4

Then it comes down to probably Jones, Taylor, and Morgan for the last 1 or 2 slots.  Lassiter has a shot at one of those positions.  Jones needs to up his game but he may not survive the PS.  He has a torn labrum so I could see them stashing him on IR if it turns out he is not quite ready due to the shoulder.

It is going to come down to special team needs.  Either Jones or Taylor makes the 53 not both

Jones was drafted to be the eventual replacement for Tyler Boyd so he's not going anywhere.  IR is a possibility with the labrum tear.
Reply/Quote