Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
WRs on the lower depth chart have a chance to impress.
(07-29-2019, 08:30 AM)Nately120 Wrote: So we are right back to the notion that like Marvin, ZT refuses to let all these glorious young WRs have a chance to practice. 

Oh and Cody Core is running with the 1s now, so I fully expect a message board meltdown over that.

I did not say anything about ZT not letting his team compete. That was a quote from a player about Marvin you asked about the PAST why WR never stepped up that is why they was being held back by a defensive minded coach that didn't want his D looking bad in practice. Again that was from a players interview with media about Marvin not ZT.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 10:01 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: I did not say anything about ZT not letting his team compete. That was a quote from a player about Marvin you asked about the PAST why WR never stepped up that is why they was being held back by a defensive minded coach that didn't want his D looking bad in practice. Again that was from a players interview with media about Marvin not ZT.

I get that, but I'm wondering why we need to spin AJ being out as a chance for the young guys to step up if ZT would never let anyone languish behind a vet.

Also, we wanted Marvin to play the young WRs but after Cody Core was on the field we started whining about him so meh.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The time has finally come for The John Ross to reveal his true divinity to the hoi polloi. This year, they won't measure his output in yards; he will gain counties.

He will not be scoring touchdowns. He will be planting a phallus-shaped Sigil in every county east of the Mason Dixon.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Josh Malone seems to be having a good camp again. He was the big story alongside Boyd last year and didn't see any time on the field outside of that freak INT against Carolina. Hopefully, he'll be able to carry it over to the real games this time.

I've been on board with the Stanley Morgan pickup. Games still have to be played but he's legit if you've ever watched a few Nebraska games. I can understand the doubt, though, considering we always have an undrafted WR to hype up every year.

Erickson will likely be the slot guy which I'm actually okay with. He had some big catches when he was put in the slot vs when he was on the outside while Ross was out for that stretch. I wonder who'll be replacing him on ST?

I know we haven't done well with AJ in the past, but that's due to the offense being heavily reliant on him and Eifert being on the field. When they went out, the old staff played guys and expected them to do the same things. They never adjusted. I highly doubt that ZT and Callahan will put Cody Core on a go route and expect him to catch that as AJ would. They'll put guys in position and the offense will still move, especially if Mixon has another big year. Not all hope is lost but I'm not expecting a 3-0 start either.

It just sucks cause it's another injury for AJ, in a contract year. I think we still end up paying him but I also wouldn't be shocked if this drags into the offseason as well to see if he doesn't get injured again.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 10:37 AM)Whodey614 Wrote: Josh Malone seems to be having a good camp again. He was the big story alongside Boyd last year and didn't see any time on the field outside of that freak INT against Carolina. Hopefully, he'll be able to carry it over to the real games this time.

I've been on board with the Stanley Morgan pickup. Games still have to be played but he's legit if you've ever watched a few Nebraska games. I can understand the doubt, though, considering we always have an undrafted WR to hype up every year.

Erickson will likely be the slot guy which I'm actually okay with. He had some big catches when he was put in the slot vs when he was on the outside while Ross was out for that stretch. I wonder who'll be replacing him on ST?

I know we haven't done well with AJ in the past, but that's due to the offense being heavily reliant on him and Eifert being on the field. When they went out, the old staff played guys and expected them to do the same things. They never adjusted. I highly doubt that ZT and Callahan will put Cody Core on a go route and expect him to catch that as AJ would. They'll put guys in position and the offense will still move, especially if Mixon has another big year. Not all hope is lost but I'm not expecting a 3-0 start either.

It just sucks cause it's another injury for AJ, in a contract year. I think we still end up paying him but I also wouldn't be shocked if this drags into the offseason as well to see if he doesn't get injured again.

I hope Morgan and Erickson finally help us get rid of Ross and all other non-productive WRs and brings in a new batch of WRs.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 10:25 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I get that, but I'm wondering why we need to spin AJ being out as a chance for the young guys to step up if ZT would never let anyone languish behind a vet.

After 16yrs, it's what we are used to. We have to experience the new movement before our ways of thinking on how the team operates is changed.

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 10:37 AM)Whodey614 Wrote: Josh Malone seems to be having a good camp again. He was the big story alongside Boyd last year and didn't see any time on the field outside of that freak INT against Carolina. Hopefully, he'll be able to carry it over to the real games this time.

The thing is, until these guys get in pads...it's really hard to tell who will step up. We see it every year where WR's look good in camp, then they put the pads on and struggle in games.

Interestingly, John Jerry is starting over Westerman at Guard.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 11:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The thing is, until these guys get in pads...it's really hard to tell who will step up. We see it every year where WR's look good in camp, then they put the pads on and struggle in games.

Its early but lorry if John Jerry is a starter....oy, so much for that "don't panic, he's just a depth signing" narrative. 
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 11:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Its early but lorry if John Jerry is a starter....oy, so much for that "don't panic, he's just a depth signing" narrative. 

was signed when we lost Williams and moved glenn back to tackle... Westerman has to learn to move side to side.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 11:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Its early but lorry if John Jerry is a starter....oy, so much for that "don't panic, he's just a depth signing" narrative. 

Jerry might be the best option. I'd say he was a solid starter for most of his career.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2019, 05:41 PM)impactplaya Wrote: WRs take more than a year to develop.ask Boyd or Houshmanzdeh.
very few WRs come right out of college and put up 75 1000  and 9 TDS in year one.
John Ross finally has a offensive minded HC that has progressive thinking.
what did you expect from Auden Tate?
he was the best WR on a FSU offense that had a one read WR.
so to simply say they failed in 2018 is more indictative on the coaching staff.

Definitely true.

Housh didn't really contribute until his 4th year. 
Boyd was his 3rd.
Simpson not until his 4th year.
Sanu and Marvin Jones also didn't do too much in their year either.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 11:40 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Jerry might be the best option. I'd say he was a solid starter for most of his career.

He sure kept opposing d lines off his couch last season.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2019, 11:46 PM)McC Wrote: Hue had a very good year as a coordinator in 2015.  He was pretty imaginative.  It was after Hue left that it went to shit.  I think Marvin pretty much let the OC do his own thing.  Hue and Jay were good, the next two, not so much.

Lazor had the offense playing well before the injuries. He also figured out how to use Ross in the red zone.

But, yeah, Marvin let the OCs be the OC and run the offense.

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 03:03 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Lazor had the offense playing well before the injuries. He also figured out how to use Ross in the red zone.

But, yeah, Marvin let the OCs be the OC and run the offense.

That's the funny thing...the offense did produce when healthy. But, it's an easier excuse to just say all the coaches were inept when a guy doesn't produce. And to say that the new coaches are great and will have Ross and other guys producing.

The facts don't back that narrative up though.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 11:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Definitely true.

Housh didn't really contribute until his 4th year. 
Boyd was his 3rd.
Simpson not until his 4th year.
Sanu and Marvin Jones also didn't do too much in their year either.

Boyd had 54 catches and 603 yards as a rookie.

Housh had 41 catches for 492 yards in his 2nd season. He was also a 7th Round pick.

While those aren't 1000 yard seasons...I'd gladly take those stats from ANY of our #3 on WR's.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 03:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's the funny thing...the offense did produce when healthy. But, it's an easier excuse to just say all the coaches were inept when a guy doesn't produce. And to say that the new coaches are great and will have Ross and other guys producing.

The facts don't back that narrative up though.

I can already foresee us throwing at least one of the new assistant coaches under the bus in 2019.  I dont think any will be Zampese level bad, but still.

How is it that Lazor and or Marvin got Boyd to improve so much in 2018? If the coaches kept Ross and any non AJ WR down who gets credit for Boyds development?
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 03:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can already foresee us throwing at least one of the new assistant coaches under the bus in 2019.  I dont think any will be Zampese level bad, but still.

How is it that Lazor and or Marvin got Boyd to improve so much in 2018?  If the coaches kept Ross and any non AJ WR down who gets credit for Boyds development?

When you have this much coaching change, sheer averages suggest that 1 or 2 will fail. And we'll have 1 or 2 really good ones.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 11:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The thing is, until these guys get in pads...it's really hard to tell who will step up. We see it every year where WR's look good in camp, then they put the pads on and struggle in games.

Definitely true. That could’ve been the case for Malone besides the tipped INT. Maybe the coaches saw something before that play and didn’t feel comfortable with him on the field. Still hoping that one of these guys step up and if you can still make defenses respect Ross’ speed, we’ll get by.

It seems like Westerman will never happen. Whether it’s playbook reasons or being a strictly run north and south guy. I would say that John Jerry starting wouldn’t be a bad thing if he didn’t sit out for a year. It also helps him that he’s Turner’s guy from Miami.
Reply/Quote
I remember the team's reaction on hard knocks when they thought AJ was injured. This is not a blessing in disguise. Hopefully someone steps up.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
I don't think anyone can count on Ross.

If this season isn't sunk, it's going to be because another receiver not named Boyd, Erickson, Ross takes the league by storm.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote