Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
WTH?
(03-11-2023, 09:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sounds like some complete BS, probably  put out by a Butt Hurt JC Tretter because he knows his Browns are screwed.

Maybe Tretter is upset the Bengals didnt pick him up last season
Reply/Quote
This makes zero sense. Does this have anything to do with going private?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bengals not just trying to screw over the Bengals players, but also the Browns, Reds, Guardians, Blue Jackets, Crew, FC Cincinnati, Cavaliers, and Cleveland's Rugby Team by lobbying to remove it from ALL contracted professional athletes in Ohio.

Just scorched earth penny pinching shitheaddery.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I don't get this. It's a state and federal program. How much would the Bengals ownership actually benefit from such a change?
Reply/Quote
If this is all just nothing then that means that the NFLPA specifically tried to sabotage us right before free agency. WTF is that?

It reminds me of when we had the #1 pick and every media outlet was trying to convince Joe Burrow to reject us. No other team gets treated like that.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 10:00 PM)michaelsean Wrote: This makes zero sense.  Does this have anything to do with going private?

That's what some are saying...that the Bengals are wanting to use a private provider.
Reply/Quote
Nothing says, "I cherish you as an employee and a human being" like also saying, "If you are permanently disabled trying to play football for me, I believe that I should take measures to ensure that you are not compensated."  Whoever is responsible for this should hang up their cleats and never have anything to do with decision making for the organization ever again.  Utter garbage.  
Reply/Quote
How is this not covered in the CBA? Why would players be mad at the Bengals right now and not the players association?
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 10:21 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: That's what some are saying...that the Bengals are wanting to use a private provider.

And lobbying to take down coverage for every contracted professional athlete in Ohio to do so.

Reply/Quote
This comes out a few days before free agency opens sound like the NFL is still butthurt over the Bengals/Bills game. They are going to do everything they can to hamper our team in any way they can.

I know it's the NFLPA but the bad report card stuff this past week now this on the start of free agency it is shady.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 09:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: Correct, there is more to the story. I’m being told it’s Bengals backing legislation to exempt athletes. I am trying to get a copy from someone with access.

(03-11-2023, 09:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:

If Im reading this correctly and I'm probably not it says the Bengals are trying to add a statue of limitations of 5 years after an injury occurs to file for workers compensation?

Edit: Or oops it looks like the Bengals are trying to remove professional athletes as an EXEMPT to the law of a 5 year statue of limitations. That's interesting.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 10:29 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: This comes out a few days before free agency opens sound like the NFL is still butthurt over the Bengals/Bills game. They are going to do everything they can to hamper our team in any way they can.

I know it's the NFLPA but the bad report card stuff this past week now this on the start of free agency it is shady.

Yes, it can't be the players who graded the Bengals poorly, and it can't be the Bengals trying to remove a law protecting professional athletes in the entire state.

It must just be a series of conspiracies against the Bengals and only the Bengals.

Nothing in the last 30 years of Bengals football would ever make you think anything could be the Bengals fault.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 10:29 PM)Synric Wrote: If Im reading this correctly and I'm probably not it says the Bengals are trying to add a statue of limitations of 5 years after an injury occurs to file for workers compensation?

Yeah this law stuff is way past me but that is how I understand it as well.

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/football/bengals/nflpa-bengals-ownership-is-attempting-to-strip-workers-compensation-benefits-from-ohio-athletes

Quote:"If this amendment is passed, any athlete who remained under contract with an Ohio team (or any other team) would have their claims expire five years from the date of their work-related injury," the NFLPA writes.

So I think the idea is, "Hey we employed you as an athlete but you should not be able to hit us with a claim five years after the fact."  Or it could be they are lobbying for the comp benefits to expire 5 years after the claim? I don't know.  My guess is in a few days this will be a non-story.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 10:29 PM)Synric Wrote: If Im reading this correctly and I'm probably not it says the Bengals are trying to add a statue of limitations of 5 years after an injury occurs to file for workers compensation?

Yup.

They don't want to pay for knee replacements, hip replacements, and the following rehab to regain mobility with them, etc. Sure they're 40 and it's clearly because of their playing time. Not the Bengals problem anymore, they've now removed any way to delay that 5 year window from being extended. If this change is successful.

So obviously this is not just about "switching to private providers" as people are excusing the Bengals with. It's also not a conspiracy to tank the Bengals specifically for not signing JC Tretter or beating the Bills. It's just the Bengals being the Bengals we've seen for the vast majority of the last 30 years rather than the ones we recently deluded ourselves into believing they might have become.

Reply/Quote
My questions? Did they not see the backlash here? Did they think it wouldn’t get out? I got questions? Anybody got answers?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 10:51 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: My questions? Did they not see the backlash here? Did they think it wouldn’t get out? I got questions? Anybody got answers?

I don’t think it was supposed to get out, but we’ve seen time and time again the NFL doesn’t like Bengals ownership
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 10:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yup.

They don't want to pay for knee replacements, hip replacements, and the following rehab to regain mobility with them, etc. Sure they're 40 and it's clearly because of their playing time. Not the Bengals problem anymore, they've now removed any way to delay that 5 year window from being extended. If this change is successful.

So obviously this is not just about "switching to private providers" as people are excusing the Bengals with. It's also not a conspiracy to tank the Bengals specifically for not signing JC Tretter or beating the Bills. It's just the Bengals being the Bengals we've seen for the vast majority of the last 30 years rather than the ones we recently deluded ourselves into believing they might have become.

You certainly have a right to that opinion.  There's plenty of history to justify it.

Even so, in time, the team will respond to the accusation.  It will be interesting to see their side of the story.  

The Bengals do Bengal shit, but lately they do less of it.  I find it tough to believe that they would pull a stunt like this in the same year that they are trying to extend the best player in their history.  They've done all they can to facilitate a favorable environment for him, so stepping in shit in this extreme of a fashion seems off.  

While the Bengals are the Bengals, the players union is the players union.  These are the same disphits that supported Deshaun Watson in lock step despite his widespread abuse of women over a long period of time.  They have their own motives and are equally worthy of skepticism.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 10:39 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yeah this law stuff is way past me but that is how I understand it as well.

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/football/bengals/nflpa-bengals-ownership-is-attempting-to-strip-workers-compensation-benefits-from-ohio-athletes

So I think the idea is, "Hey we employed you as an athlete but you should not be able to hit us with a claim five years after the fact."  Or it could be they are lobbying for the comp benefits to expire 5 years after the claim?   I don't know.  My guess is in a few days this will be a non-story.  

It may well be a non-story in a few days as far as the public is concerned. The question is whether it will impact the thought process of players and agents. That is, the thought that the Bengals ownership may not want to pay for injuries that manifest after five years even if clearly related to their having played such a violent sport. 

The Bengals organization has generally taken care of players; this tends to undermine that positive vibe. And it was troubling enough to the NFLPA that they sent out a notice about it.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 09:35 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I don't see how the Bengals could strip anything.  Workers’ compensation is a state and federal program.  Maybe the Bengals could support a legislative change but ultimately its not the Bengals decision.

and arent these contracts guaranteed for injury anyway?

(03-11-2023, 09:38 PM)Synric Wrote: Sounds Fishy. Workers compensation is state laws in the tri-state area (OH, WV, PA). An employer must provide workers compensation either federal or private.

I think what they might be going for here is that the players on the rosters are not employees but instead are independent contractors. 

Not sure how the players are classified in the CBA, but if they are listed as independent contractors then their benefits would be different. 

It is a bad look regardless of what he is going for and just the worst time to try doing it.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 10:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yup.

Workers comp has been an extremely continuous issue between owners and the NFLPA for years, and the Bengals are far from the only team that's wanted changes made. There have been numerous cases where teams and players have ended up in court over it. Both sides have been battling over this for what feels like forever. 
Reply/Quote