Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
WTH?
(03-11-2023, 11:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Workers comp has been an extremely continuous issue between owners and the NFLPA for years, and the Bengals are far from the only team that's wanted changes made. There have been numerous cases where teams and players have ended up in court over it. Both sides have been battling over this for what feels like forever. 

I have difficulty envisioning Mike Brown abandoning a player with a catastrophic injury.  He's been the main financial provider for Chris Henry's kids after his passing.  

Mike is cheap, but I highly doubt that injury settlements and workman's comp are a serious threat to his bottom line.
Reply/Quote
I'm amazed by the number of employment law experts we have in this forum.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 10:30 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yes, it can't be the players who graded the Bengals poorly, and it can't be the Bengals trying to remove a law protecting professional athletes in the entire state.

It must just be a series of conspiracies against the Bengals and only the Bengals.

Nothing in the last 30 years of Bengals football would ever make you think anything could be the Bengals fault.  Ninja

The players didn't grade the Bengals poorly. The players provided answers to a questionnaire and the NFLPA assigned a grade according to some unknown rubric. It was in the NFLPA's interest to grade owners poorly, just as it's in their interest to get folks fired up over this even if those folks don't have clue on how it works.

The NFLPA would love for owners to have to cover a lifetime of medical expenses for the players then they wouldn't have to provide long-term medical insurance to members of their association. 

Worker's compensation is to cover wages missed at work and medical expenses directly related. It is not long-term health insurance. 

Hell texas doesn't even have Worker's comp laws. What do we think about ALL the pro teams in that state?

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 11:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The players didn't grade the Bengals poorly. The players provided answers to a questionnaire and the NFLPA assigned a grade according to some unknown rubric. It was in the NFLPA's interest to grade owners poorly, just as it's in their interest to get folks fired up over this even if those folks don't have clue on how it works.

The NFLPA would love for owners to have to cover a lifetime of medical expenses for the players then they wouldn't have to provide long-term medical insurance to members of their association. 

Worker's compensation is to cover wages missed at work and medical expenses directly related. It is not long-term health insurance. 

It's a pretty futile exercise on the union's behalf.  

I guess they think that players will boycott or refuse to sign with the teams that grade poorly according to NFLPA criteria.  

The truth is, if a poorly graded team offers the best contract, a given player is still going to sign it.  

In a cap system, there's only so much cash to go around.  
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 11:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The players didn't grade the Bengals poorly. The players provided answers to a questionnaire and the NFLPA assigned a grade according to some unknown rubric. It was in the NFLPA's interest to grade owners poorly, just as it's in their interest to get folks fired up over this even if those folks don't have clue on how it works.

Hell texas doesn't even have Worker's comp laws. What do we think about ALL the pro teams in that state?

Ohio and maybe Washington(?) are the only states left that have pro teams and still monopolize workers comp.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 10:39 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yeah this law stuff is way past me but that is how I understand it as well.

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/football/bengals/nflpa-bengals-ownership-is-attempting-to-strip-workers-compensation-benefits-from-ohio-athletes
My "expertise" is in Federal Law, but this piqued my interest. One interesting thing I discovered about Ohio's worker's comp is that employers cannot use a private provider or "self-insure". It must be done through a state administration. it may be their first move to self-insure and perhaps get better coverage cheaper without getting the state involved.. I didn't know that but I guess most who commented on how the Bengals are just doing this because they suck did. 

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 12:06 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Ohio and maybe Washington(?) are the only states left that have pro teams and still monopolize workers comp.

yeah, I was typing that out as you replied. As I said my "expertise" is not in the private sector. Federal law is so much more black and white. 

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 11:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm amazed by the number of employment law experts we have in this forum.

I promise to weigh in on this specific subject in 2028.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 12:08 AM)bfine32 Wrote: yeah, I was typing that out as you replied. As I said my "expertise" is not in the private sector. Federal law is so much more black and white. 

After checking the Google machine, it looks like only 4 states total still have monopolies on workers comp.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 12:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I promise to weigh in on this specific subject in 2028.

and I promise to care as much then as I do now. 

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 10:54 PM)samhain Wrote: You certainly have a right to that opinion.  There's plenty of history to justify it.

Even so, in time, the team will respond to the accusation.  It will be interesting to see their side of the story.  

The Bengals do Bengal shit, but lately they do less of it.  I find it tough to believe that they would pull a stunt like this in the same year that they are trying to extend the best player in their history.  They've done all they can to facilitate a favorable environment for him, so stepping in shit in this extreme of a fashion seems off.  

While the Bengals are the Bengals, the players union is the players union.  These are the same disphits that supported Deshaun Watson in lock step despite his widespread abuse of women over a long period of time.  They have their own motives and are equally worthy of skepticism.

They are legally required to as a union. Even if they hated him (not saying they did), they had to.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 01:03 AM)bfine32 Wrote: and I promise to care as much then as I do now. 

Damn, I hope this burn heals by then.
Reply/Quote
This off-season has been............ interesting.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 12:06 AM)bfine32 Wrote: My "expertise" is in Federal Law, but this piqued my interest. One interesting thing I discovered about Ohio's worker's comp is that employers cannot use a private provider or "self-insure". It must be done through a state administration. it may be their first move to self-insure and perhaps get better coverage cheaper without getting the state involved.. I didn't know that but I guess most who commented on how the Bengals are just doing this because they suck did. 

If an employer opts to self-insure are there standards of coverage they must guarantee or is it up to the employers discretion to determine the benefits level? If they must adhere to a comparable standard of benefits as that provided by the state then this is a non-issue.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
Considering the Bengals past of trying to go above and beyond to take care of players, to much info is missing on this.

But it's definitely clear SOMEONE from the NFLPA is trying to make the Bengals look bad by giving out partial information
Reply/Quote
I agree we don't have all the facts yet. The state would be on the dime to care for players injuries during their careers. We all know how difficult it is to deal with government agencies. Maybe the care will be privatized at much less expense. The bottom line is the care will still be there but by a private insurer. I see this as a positive move for the Bengals to save the state money.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I’ll wait for the complete story before going into panic mode. If this is the Bengals trying to break the state’s monopoly on workman’s comp coverage then, I cannot imagine every other pro sports team in Ohio not joining in supporting the bill.

By the CBA, the teams are required to maintain workman’s comp or the equivalent.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
So grabbed my coffee this morning and took 10 minutes to search out this legislation.

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/135/hb31

Quote:(K) An employer, upon the approval of the
administratordirector, may provide for workers' compensation
coverage for the employer's employees who are professional
athletes and coaches by submitting to the administrator director
proof of coverage under a league policy issued under the laws of
another state under either of the following circumstances: 
(1) The employer administers the payroll and workers' compensation insurance for a professional sports team subject to a collective bargaining agreement, and the collective bargaining agreement provides for the uniform administration of workers' compensation benefits and compensation for professional athletes.  
(2) The employer is a professional sports league, or is a member team of a professional sports league, and all of the following apply:
    (a) The professional sports league operates as a single entity, whereby all of the players and coaches of the sports league are employees of the sports league and not of the individual member teams. 
   (b) The professional sports league at all times maintains workers' compensation insurance that provides coverage for the players and coaches of the sports league. 
   ( c ) Each individual member team of the professional sports league, pursuant to the organizational or operating documents of the sports league, is obligated to the sports league to pay to the sports league any workers' compensation claims that are not covered by the workers' compensation insurance maintained by the sports league. 

If the administrator director approves the employer's proof of coverage submitted under division (K) of this section, a professional athlete or coach who is an employee of the employer and the dependents of the professional athlete or coach are not entitled to apply for and shall not receive compensation or benefits under this chapter and Chapter 4121. of the Revised Code. The rights of such an athlete or coach and the dependents of such an athlete or coach under the laws of the state where the policy was issued are the exclusive remedy against the employer for the athlete or coach if the athlete or coach suffers an injury or contracts an occupational disease in the course of employment, or for the dependents of the athlete or the coach if the athlete or coach is killed as a result of an injury or dies as a result of an occupational disease, regardless of the location where the injury was suffered or the occupational disease was contracted. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Hyperbole by the Union to create the very reaction on this board. Union is doing this for leverage and nothing more. I do have an issue with NFL players wanting workers comp playing a violent game and making millions.

In addition, IF they had any financial sense, an insurance policy where they purchased would be an additional supplement to their income.

This thread could turn political very quickly because none of this has anything to do with football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
On the one hand, if California has the law and it is good for people, why not abide it? On the other hand, it is strange to apply a Californian law to players who, some of them have never even played a game in that state.

Reply/Quote