Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
WTH?
Im thinking if there’s not much too this the agents of the players will barrel right past it to get the best deal for their player if the Bengals are the ones who offer it.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 08:43 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Hyperbole by the Union to create the very reaction on this board.  Union is doing this for leverage and nothing more.  I do have an issue with NFL players wanting workers comp playing a violent game and making millions.  

In addition, IF they had any financial sense, an insurance policy where they purchased would be an additional supplement to their income.  

This thread could turn political very quickly because none of this has anything to do with football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m not an expert in worker’s compensation, but I am in a Union. This sounds about right. I’ll wait for more information before I get upset about it. 
I am living through a situation right now where the union us pushing for a change that literally almost none of us want. They don’t always have the best interests of their members as priority 1. It seems the organization’s survival and the perception that the administration is useful become paramount. I’m glad for the union in the face of the corporation’s might, but it aint perfect.
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 11:48 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Im thinking if there’s not much too this the agents of the players will barrel right past it to get the best deal for their player if the Bengals are the ones who offer it.

Yeah no shit.  The agents get paid based on the deals they negotiate, not the long-term state/federal benefits.  Those guys won't give a single thought to negotiating a deal with the Bengals if it gets them paid.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 12:49 PM)samhain Wrote: Yeah no shit.  The agents get paid based on the deals they negotiate, not the long-term state/federal benefits.  Those guys won't give a single thought to negotiating a deal with the Bengals if it gets them paid.

I was Captain Obvious but I guess my point is I don’t see it affecting the ability to land free agents. The effects will mainly be twitter replies and talking heads crying “poverty franchise” over and over again. BFD
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 01:14 AM)JumboTron Wrote: This off-season has been............ interesting.

Road rage, Nerf wars and Workers' Comp, oh my.   Only five loooooong months to pre-season  Sad
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 01:01 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I was Captain Obvious but I guess my point is I don’t see it affecting the ability to land free agents. The effects will mainly be twitter replies and talking heads crying “poverty franchise” over and over again. BFD

I agree 100 percent.  

Kind of makes the union making this public even more of an overt cheap shot vs the Bengals.  
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 11:11 PM)samhain Wrote: I have difficulty envisioning Mike Brown abandoning a player with a catastrophic injury.  He's been the main financial provider for Chris Henry's kids after his passing.  

Mike is cheap, but I highly doubt that injury settlements and workman's comp are a serious threat to his bottom line.

...and the whole Devin/Leah Still thing....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 02:54 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Considering the Bengals past of trying to go above and beyond to take care of players, to much info is missing on this.

But it's definitely clear SOMEONE from the NFLPA is trying to make the Bengals look bad by giving out partial information

Half truths and misinformation are laws of the land these days....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Regardless of impacts, a player somewhere can read this, from their player's association, and take it as a bad thing. Bengals have been shaking away an old reputation, then you hear something like this and you think some may not dismiss it? So since the agent says the Bengals will pay better than this won't matter? Fine, but what about those on the fence. Any nudge could push them away. And not all player's have agents.

Football is violent and dangerous and you can get hurt....so? A bunch of jobs are like that. They still get WC, retirement, pensions....sometimes. The Bengals should not be going out on a position like this, if not for an optics/PR thing.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Well let’s hope there’s “the rest of the story” to populate
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 10:30 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yes, it can't be the players who graded the Bengals poorly, and it can't be the Bengals trying to remove a law protecting professional athletes in the entire state.

It must just be a series of conspiracies against the Bengals and only the Bengals.

Nothing in the last 30 years of Bengals football would ever make you think anything could be the Bengals fault.  Ninja

NFLPA warns players about Bengals owner’s nefarious state plot (msn.com)

Takes two secs to read the story try it.

The players are filing for workers compensation in California and not in Ohio state is why Mr. Brown is upset and rightfully so. Cali has the most screwed up state laws in the country and it is much easier to get approved in Cali which is why they file there. This is not a recent filing it has been ongoing since 2012 over ten years but they bring it up right before free agency opens in 2023. The very last line in the story is the NFLPA is most likely making a mountain out of a molehill.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 05:04 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: NFLPA warns players about Bengals owner’s nefarious state plot (msn.com)

The players are filing for workers compensation in California and not in Ohio state is why Mr. Brown is upset and rightfully so. Cali has the most screwed up state laws in the country and it is much easier to get approved in Cali which is why they file there. This is not a recent filing it has been ongoing since 2012 over ten years but they bring it up right before free agency opens in 2023. The very last line in the story is the NFLPA is most likely making a mountain out of a molehill.

Right. Darren Revell did a good writeup about all this stuff a decade ago. 

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8316657/nfl-teams-facing-large-bills-related-workers-compensation-claims-head-injuries
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are getting lambasted on Twitter by some national media right now.

While the actual facts of this may not look bad...the optics look horrible.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 05:04 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: NFLPA warns players about Bengals owner’s nefarious state plot (msn.com)

That was from a 2012 case. I don't think it has to do with this.

The nflpa link contains the wording.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 11:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That was from a 2012 case. I don't think it has to do with this.

The nflpa link contains the wording.

They posted a tweet. 

NFLPA Calls Out Cincinnati Bengals' Ownership For Attempting to 'Strip Players of Workers' Compensation Benefits' - Sports Illustrated Cincinnati Bengals News, Analysis and More

^^^ Link 

It is bullshit very vague and more coming later really when after free agency is over and the damage is done?

If they really had anything on the Bengals it would be all over the place it is a farce.
Reply/Quote
Queue the Carman story at the start of training camp like the last two years. We have argued about this workers comp BS before most people here can not remember a story from a few years ago. Nothing new here at all old news.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 12:11 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: They posted a tweet. 

NFLPA Calls Out Cincinnati Bengals' Ownership For Attempting to 'Strip Players of Workers' Compensation Benefits' - Sports Illustrated Cincinnati Bengals News, Analysis and More

^^^ Link 

It is bullshit very vague and more coming later really when after free agency is over and the damage is done?

If they really had anything on the Bengals it would be all over the place it is a farce.

I don't think it's vague and a farce. But, I don't think the Bengals are terrible either. It's somewhere in between.

'The Bengals are self-insured and do not draw from the workers' compensation fund distributed by the state. But should state law be altered, it could also limit the amount the team is liable to distribute in cases of permanent partial disability that deal with workplace injuries.'

https://www.espn.in/nfl/story/_/id/35845344/bengals-aim-alter-worker-comp-laws-ohio-nflpa-says
Reply/Quote
https://twitter.com/TanyaORourke/status/1634695247606210561?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1634695247606210561%7Ctwgr%5Eb02d393d2b27eae0d39ff8ec57508714a1b7d8b6%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbengalswire.usatoday.com%2F2023%2F03%2F11%2Fnflpa-bengals-workers-compensation-benefits%2F

Sounds like the Bengals would rather go thru insurance companies to protect their players rather than the state of Ohio. Most of the other teams have this option as well sounds like the Browns want to be on a level playing field. Nothing wrong with that as you seen from a few posts under the tweet. The poster herself says she does not have all the information and says a whole lot needs to be looked into here.

Drop this 2 days before free agency starts and you think it was not a planned story so gullible.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 03:11 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well let’s hope there’s “the rest of the story” to populate

Well, it seems the Bengals are not making effort to give "the rest of the story." In the ESPN story, the author (Ben Baby) states, "As of Sunday evening, the Bengals did not respond to multiple requests for comment." It is a major story in ESPN, in a write-up that makes the Bengals look bad, so you would think the Bengals would make a statement to counter the negativity.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35845344/bengals-aim-alter-worker-comp-laws-ohio-nflpa-says
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 12:45 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: https://twitter.com/TanyaORourke/status/1634695247606210561?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1634695247606210561%7Ctwgr%5Eb02d393d2b27eae0d39ff8ec57508714a1b7d8b6%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbengalswire.usatoday.com%2F2023%2F03%2F11%2Fnflpa-bengals-workers-compensation-benefits%2F

Sounds like the Bengals would rather go thru insurance companies to protect their players rather than the state of Ohio. Most of the other teams have this option as well sounds like the Browns want to be on a level playing field. Nothing wrong with that as you seen from a few posts under the tweet. The poster herself says she does not have all the information and says a whole lot needs to be looked into here.

Drop this 2 days before free agency starts and you think it was not a planned story so gullible.

I would rather have the rich and pampered athletes get insurance instead of taking funds from the Workers Compensation which working stiffs like me need instead of giving to some of these cry baby spoiled athletes. Athletes today are so entitled but not entitled to our tax money. Municipalities already give billions for the stadiums and facilities. Get you hands off the funds for other people who actually need it for day to day living. NFLPA are activists and have ZERO credibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote