Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
WWMD Week 1 C. Volson
(09-12-2022, 02:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: D.

If anything you put Scharping in there.

(09-12-2022, 02:29 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Scharping or Spain if they could fit Spain in the salary cap along with, it seems from the other post, a new #4 receiver.

(09-12-2022, 03:06 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Carman? Scharping.

This. If you're going to take Volson out of the starting lineup, you replace him with someone who has already proven to be a decent-if-not-good OLman in Scharping.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Let's have a WWMD every week and answer the biggest questions.

So what would Marvin do #1 - what do we do with Cordell Volson ?

A. roll the dice and let the rookie earn his stripes

B. bench his ass and bring in J. Carman

c. move Ted Karras to LG and put Trey Hill at C

d.other _________________

Marvin probably wouldn't have started Volson to begin with.
It would have probably been Carman getting the start for a while until he proved undeserving in regular season games.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 03:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Interesting. On one hand I understand Spain feeling he earned way more than vet minimum with his play last year, but otoh you’re sitting on the couch guy…

Could have signed with us and tried to complete unfinished business.

Yeah the league minimum thing is what makes me think there is other issues with him. But Fred has spent whole off season saying he’s injured. Can’t imagine we offered him a contract if he was injured. It’s always felt like he played below his market value. I’m trying to find it now
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Wisdom in these parts says Marvin would NEVER play a rookie, so he'd be on the bench and we'd be like "Gaaaah I wish we had a HC who would play Volson!"

Damn straight and your right. This is exactly what we would do. Nobody does hindsight 20/20 better than Bengal fans. 

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 03:56 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Why? Taylor in 13 less seasons has more playoff wins and Super Bowl appearances than Marvin Lewis ever did. 

Why not ask what Super Bowl winning coaches would do?

(09-12-2022, 03:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, Marvin won so many Championships....  Hilarious  You don't pull the rug out from under a rookie lineman after his first game, especially when he was taking on a d linemen like Heyward

Well, Marvin has the ring as the DC in Baltimore...I'm pretty sure that's about as decorated a coach as we've had unless you put a SB ring as a coordinator on the same level as an AFC Championship ring as a HC.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 04:25 PM)pally Wrote:

I would guess they'll not jerk him out after 1 game.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: D.

If anything you put Scharping in there.

That may well be where we end up somewhere down the road.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 04:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I would guess they'll not jerk him out after 1 game.

of course they wont, but that is pure coach speak. Volson is on a relatively short leash
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 04:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I would guess they'll not jerk him out after 1 game.

Well to do that you need someone Better to replace him and we dont have that on this roster. (maybe the new guy but hes only had the playbook 1 week)
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 04:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well to do that you need someone Better to replace him and we dont have that on this roster.

they have a proven decent pass protector in Scharping. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 04:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well to do that you need someone Better to replace him and we dont have that on this roster. (maybe the new guy but hes only had the playbook 1 week)

Scharping is the only one I suppose ? Carman must have really screwed the pooch. And just no to Adeniji.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 03:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, Marvin won so many Championships....  Hilarious  You don't pull the rug out from under a rookie lineman after his first game, especially when he was taking on a d linemen like Heyward

Okay fair point. But how many games do you give him?
Reply/Quote
Lots of clapping his hands while yelling "Let's go!" as well as "Gotta make football plays!"
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 03:56 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Why? Taylor in 13 less seasons has more playoff wins and Super Bowl appearances than Marvin Lewis ever did. 

Why not ask what Super Bowl winning coaches would do?

Leave Volson in there.  He was going against future HOFer Hayward and that's no easy task on a debut.  If Volson is still struggling after the Thursday night Miami game, then it's time to see about making some changes. I believe in this kid, he just needs reps, and he'll be just fine.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:30 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Or let's not.  

Was just trying to have a little fun 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 05:06 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Okay fair point. But how many games do you give him?

I'd at least give him 3...
Reply/Quote
Munch on a tuna on rye whilst watching piano man play chopsticks with ketchup bottles... I reckon.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Why would anyone want Spain back? He was a big part of the problem last year with the line protecting Burrow. Spain in the regular season only had a 58.9 PFF in pass protection. In post season when he had to face better defenses he graded out at a 49.4 PFF in pass protection. That's not good

While I do think Spain is better than Volson at this point in time, he is still pretty bad in pass protection which is why no team has picked him up.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:12 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Why would anyone want Spain back?  He was a big part of the problem last year with the line protecting Burrow.  Spain in the regular season only had a 58.9 PFF in pass protection.  

thats great for this o-line. Were you trying to make a point against Spain there? lmao
Reply/Quote