Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
WWMD Week 1 C. Volson
(09-12-2022, 09:38 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: thats great for this o-line. Were you trying to make a point against Spain there? lmao

58.9 is not great for any O-line.  You can keep trying to hype Spain up but it won't change the fact he is poor at pass protection.  
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 03:53 PM)gman657 Wrote: Heard it on one of the locked on Bengals podcasts. Basically they offered him league minimum and opportunity to fight carman for starting spot but he rejected. I’m not going to try and find it but I think it was one of more recent ones.

Who said this? Was it just speculation? Have other teams offered him?

I never claimed I knew Spain was injured. I just pointed out that there had not been a single rumor any time of any team showing any interest in Spain.

If this really came up in a podcast it seems like someone would have commented on it.

Not saying it isn't true. Just shocked that no one else heard anything about it.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:46 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: 58.9 is not great for any O-line.  You can keep trying to hype Spain up but it won't change the fact he is poor at pass protection.  

1. Is that including the postseason?
2. Volson just had a 44.3, so is 58.9 is comparatively great. Like a ~33% improvement. There's no "great" solutions left after the season has already started. Now the most you can hope for is good enough solutions.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
What would Marvin do? He'd giggle like "Hee hee hee, we gotta play better"...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 03:35 PM)gman657 Wrote: You keep claiming Spain is injured in threads based on absolutely nothing. He’s basically posting on social media saying he wants to come back. Bengals offered him a deal. There may be other issues but nothing suggests he isn’t ready to play

(09-12-2022, 03:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: First I’m hearing of this?

First I heard of this as well...

(09-12-2022, 03:53 PM)gman657 Wrote: Heard it on one of the locked on Bengals podcasts. Basically they offered him league minimum and opportunity to fight carman for starting spot but he rejected. I’m not going to try and find it but I think it was one of more recent ones.

Thanks, didn't know we offered him a deal so it might still be in the cards even though I like Scharping if Volson 
doesn't improve. Also, still like Carman if he can get his sets down and hand placement right.

Volson really improved in the 2nd half and I think this will just continue.

(09-12-2022, 03:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Interesting. On one hand I understand Spain feeling he earned way more than vet minimum with his play last year, but otoh you’re sitting on the couch guy…

Could have signed with us and tried to complete unfinished business.

Yeah, him sitting on the couch isn't doing him any good either. Spain's problems have come from being overweight too.

He isn't injured other wise we wouldn't of offered him a deal. Also shows our coach's have no ill will with how we lost the
Superbowl when he whiffed on AD or how he tweeted after the game.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 12:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What would Marvin do?  He'd giggle like "Hee hee hee, we gotta play better"...

This is what I was going to say and end it with "And that's a good thing"...
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:46 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: 58.9 is not great for any O-line.  You can keep trying to hype Spain up but it won't change the fact he is poor at pass protection.  

When Spain is healthy he is one of the better pass blockers in the league.

In 2018 he started 15 games for the Titans and only allowed one sack. In 2019 he started all 16 games for the Bills an again only allowed one sack.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Let's have a WWMD every week and answer the biggest questions.

So what would Marvin do #1 - what do we do with Cordell Volson ?

A. roll the dice and let the rookie earn his stripes

B. bench his ass and bring in J. Carman

c. move Ted Karras to LG and put Trey Hill at C

d.other _________________

If you voted A, you should be smiling right about now.

After a rough 1st half versus the likes of Cam Heyward, Cordell Volson has really settled down and is growing into his role as LG.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 10:49 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If you voted A, you should be smiling right about now.

After a rough 1st half versus the likes of Cam Heyward, Cordell Volson has really settled down and is growing into his role as LG.

Yes he is, looked pretty good yesterday.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 12:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What would Marvin do?  He'd giggle like "Hee hee hee, we gotta play better"...

This made me think about him giving an analogy comparing weather to health. He did do that didn't he? Saying the line play was partly cloudy.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 10:49 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If you voted A, you should be smiling right about now.

Yep its time to put the pitchforks down, snuff the torches, and put down the bullhorns barking for the return of the Spaniard.   

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Absolutely and this answer works for any question about WWMD

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 11:25 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Absolutely and this answer works for any question about WWMD

Don't forget to clap.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 11:32 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Don't forget to clap.

Also, don't forget to "do your job", and "run on your own gas".. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 11:32 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Don't forget to clap.

Absolutely lol

I was not a Marvin hater but that stuff wore me out, just like him taking his foot off the gas too early when given a lead did as well.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 11:36 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Absolutely lol

I was not a Marvin hater but that stuff wore me out, just like him taking his foot off the gas too early when given a lead did as well.  

Oh I don't hate Marvin either. I think he's a hell of a good guy and did a lot of good here, helped put Bengals back on the map. He just should have been let go 3 or 5 or more years before he was.

There will always be a large part of me that has a soft spot for ML.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 11:40 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I don't hate Marvin either. I think he's a hell of a good guy and did a lot of good here, helped put Bengals back on the map. He just should have been let go 3 or 5 or more years before he was.

There will always be a large part of me that has a soft spot for ML.

Agree completely, even though he drove me crazy at times lol

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 11:05 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes he is, looked pretty good yesterday.

I saw the hold (which negated the Boyd TD), he gave up one of the sacks and saw at least 3 missed blocks on runs.

He's our worst OL by far and hasn't looked any better than Spain, Carman or anyone else we've had since Boling (well, maybe better than MJ...).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 12:00 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I saw the hold (which negated the Boyd TD), he gave up one of the sacks and saw at least 3 missed blocks on runs.

He's our worst OL by far and hasn't looked any better than Spain, Carman or anyone else we've had since Boling (well, maybe better than MJ...).

According to this Volson wasn’t charged with a sack yesterday.

And I think you’re being a little hard on Volson here, Truck. I personally think Jonah has been our worst lineman so far (him or Collins). Volson is showing some encouraging signs that we might have something with him, imo.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 12:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: According to this Volson wasn’t charged with a sack yesterday.

And I think you’re being a little hard on Volson here, Truck. I personally think Jonah has been our worst lineman so far (him or Collins). Volson is showing some encouraging signs that we might have something with him, imo.

Hmm, I thought he gave up the Quinnen sack (I know the Rankins one was Cappa). My mistake, I guess...

Jonah and Collins had big bounceback games, otherwise I'd agree.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote