Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wallace Gilberry is back
(11-04-2016, 10:01 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We're saved!

Not really, we just stunted any development we would see out of Clarke and Hunt and will go in to another season without knowing what they can do...

I don't care for this signing one bit.  

Hunt's has had his chance for development. Margus Hunt has been in on 217 defensive snaps (40%) this season. It's resulted in just 10 combined tackles, 2 PDs, and 2 STFs.
Hunt has also been in on about 65% of the ST snaps though and has accounted for 2 blocked kicks.
A 29 year old second-round pick that is in a contract year should be contributing much more on defense by now.

Meanwhile, a 25 year old third round pick still with one year left on his rookie contract after this year has outproduced Hunt on much fewer snaps.
Will Clarke has played in over 50 fewer defensive snaps (158 defensive snaps), has 3 sacks, and has overall looked better on defense.

Clarke deserves more playing time, but Hunt doesn't. Hopefully the team moves on from Hunt in the offseason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2016, 11:49 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Hunt's has had his chance for development. Margus Hunt has been in on 217 defensive snaps (40%) this season. It's resulted in just 10 combined tackles, 2 PDs, and 2 STFs.
Hunt has also been in on about 65% of the ST snaps though and has accounted for 2 blocked kicks.
A 29 year old second-round pick that is in a contract year should be contributing much more on defense by now.

Meanwhile, a 25 year old third round pick still with one year left on his rookie contract after this year has outproduced Hunt on much fewer snaps.
Will Clarke has played in over 50 fewer defensive snaps (158 defensive snaps), has 3 sacks, and has overall looked better on defense.

Clarke deserves more playing time, but Hunt doesn't. Hopefully the team moves on from Hunt in the offseason.

Think hunt will go to a 3-4 team and have more success? Ala Justin smith?
Reply/Quote
At least it isnt Taylor Mays
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2016, 11:50 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Think hunt will go to a 3-4 team and have more success? Ala Justin smith?

He might. It could fit his size and skill set better. The guy is 6'8", 295 lbs after all.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Perhaps Gilberry is our new Crocker. Ninja

Has that been said yet?

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2016, 11:50 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Think hunt will go to a 3-4 team and have more success? Ala Justin smith?

I think he would have more success at any team that had a better outside rusher on the right side
Reply/Quote

Hell no. Justin Smith was good here. Hunt has not been good. Justin Smith was a hard nosed football player. Hunt is a track athlete who doesn't like contact  attempting to play football. 
Reply/Quote
Yawn

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 09:32 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Yeah let's bring in washed up vets instead of getting our young guys experience.

It's the Marvy Lewis way. Sad
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 10:10 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Instantly solves our offensive line problem.

Not to mention a young guy who flashed named Deshawn Williams is on the team inactive every game and could do exaxtly what they are bringing Gilberry in to do. But playing young guys is illegal in the NFL and Marvin knows better. The veteran preferance has won him so many post season games its not funny. No point in changing when you have so much success.

Starting to wonder if they are taking pointers from the Reds front office on how to run a team.

This is a winner!!! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown making personnel decisions:

[Image: 200.gif#17]

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2016, 11:39 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Hell no. Justin Smith was good here. Hunt has not been good. Justin Smith was a hard nosed football player. Hunt is a track athlete who doesn't like contact  attempting to play football. 

I thought he liked contact... in fact a little too much.

That's been his whole issue here.

Not shedding blocks to get to the ball carrier or QB.

Instead trying to solely beat a single blocker.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2016, 08:26 PM)Trademark Wrote: Bengals have officially re-signed Wallace Gilberry

[Image: fxfn8k.jpg]

https://youtu.be/QryBEgBhk4M

WELCOME BACK......Our Defense sucks, so it is worth a try.....He can play inside or outside on the D Line and he does get to the QB and plays with fire...We are getting no pressure on the QB......WE have went from being a top defense to being a lousy defense....We can not get Nelson, Hall or Hawk back, but this is worth a try.....We NEED MORE DEFENSE.....WE STINK ON DEFENSE. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 02:53 PM)J24 Wrote: Besides week 1 what has hunt done to be considered "impressive"?

I didn't say "impressive". Hunt has just been better this year than Gilberry was the last few.

Hunt has had numerous QB hurries and looks to be turning the corner.

Clarke has looked decent this year too. This was a bad move IMHO.

And we lose CLH to the Ravens.

Bad all the way around.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2016, 02:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I didn't say "impressive". Hunt has just been better this year than Gilberry was the last few.

Hunt has had numerous QB hurries and looks to be turning the corner.

Clarke has looked decent this year too. This was a bad move IMHO.

And we lose CLH to the Ravens.

Bad all the way around.

Hunt was benched last week from his nickle DT role and has had only 4 hurries this season which ranks him in the hundreds  and has only one more hurry than Shawn Williams our safety. Gilberry in a similar role last season had 18 hurries and was 46th overall and would have been 7th overall amongst Dts which is his real position by the way. Losing CLH is on the coaches by the way they should d have cut brown instead.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

That is precisely what I think will happen.  Perhaps not the success part, certainly not on the level of J Smith, but at least a better fit.  There's zero reason for the Bengals to re-sign him when the season ends.  They have Dunlap, Johnson, and Clarke returning.  They would be incredibly stupid not to bring in a high round draft pick at the DE position.  They've already waited too long to do so.  That's 4 guys.   Hunt doesn't perform at a high enough level to warrant a new contract on this team.  A couple of blocked kicks don't mean a hell of the lot over the course of 4 seasons.
Reply/Quote
So we resigned a guy who left in free agency only to find himself ineffective on his new team, and then getting an injury release.

It will work.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2016, 02:54 PM)J24 Wrote: Hunt was benched last week from his nickle DT role and has had only 4 hurries this season which ranks him in the hundreds  and has only one more hurry than Shawn Williams our safety. Gilberry in a similar role last season had 18 hurries and was 46th overall and would have been 7th overall amongst Dts which is his real position by the way. Losing CLH is on the coaches by the way they should d have cut brown instead.

I stand corrected, thought Hunt was playing better than this.

From what Ochocincos said sounds like Clarke has been playing well though and i don't think Gilberry will help us much.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2016, 06:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I stand corrected, thought Hunt was playing better than this.

From what Ochocincos said sounds like Clarke has been playing well though and i don't think Gilberry will help us much.

He is nice signing for this time of the year and he did grade positively in the pass rush department last season according to PFF. He is definitely not a permanent solution but we might look back at this signing in February and say that was a great move.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2016, 02:20 AM)J24 Wrote: He is nice signing for this time of the year and he did grade positively in the pass rush department last season according to PFF. He is definitely not a permanent solution but we might look back at this signing in February and say that was a great move.

Would love this.

Need something to pick me up in these times.
Reply/Quote