Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was Palmer right to want Marvin out?
I'll admit, Palmer looked like a big ol' moron in 2011 and 2012, but have 5 playoff losses in a row changed our views on the way he left, why he left, and/or if he was quitting or just trying to prolong his career? Does it matter if he wins a playoff game this year, or not?

If we threaten to quit being Bengals fans because we are sick as hell of the ineffective status quo, are we really any better than him? Does anyone want to see him in the Super Bowl and give a wake-up call to Mike and Marvin (assuming they'd even care)? Does anyone want to see him continue to fail and possibly get a groin rash just for good measure, instead?

Anyways, it seems like we all had a feeling the Bengals would get all Bengal-ey on this one and blow it; surely the dark clouds that surround us even before a loss were also being felt by those stupid divas who weren't keen on sticking around when this team was even worse. Meh, that's all. Flame away!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Im definitely jumpin on the Zona bandwagon for rest of playoffs. Pickin them as my new temp team.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
He mostly definitely was right. I've wanted him gone for a while now. Tonight just shows that he should be gone. Too bad he won't be.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
I'll root for Palmer. I know a lot of you guys don't like him after what he did.
I look at him and I see a guy with an incredible hunger to win.
It may not have worked out yet, but I still admire that at least.

I'll also root for Zimmer and the Vikings.
He would have been a good head coach here.
The timing wasn't right, though.
Reply/Quote
Palmer was right to want out.
Reply/Quote
It's a bad situation for us to be in. We know Lewis isn't terrible, but I think we're all mostly in agreement as well that he's not great enough to get us over the "hump" — the problem is, if we bring in someone else, will there be regression before there's progression?

I'd like to see Lewis made a GM and then someone from within promoted (Hue?). I've always thought Lewis is a great personnel manager. He has a knack for seeing one's true potential, but he falls short in coaching and managing that potential (and managing games in general).
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 02:37 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Im definitely jumpin on the Zona bandwagon for rest of playoffs. Pickin them as my new temp team.

I'm pulling for Zimmer and the Vikes. Zimmer deserves it more than Palmer does. 
Reply/Quote
Yeah he was smart for leaving one of the best rosters in the NFl to go to the raiders? Are you really that stupid Nate.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I made this for all the people who are now threatening to stop rooting for the Bengals:

[img][/img]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 02:40 AM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I'll root for Palmer. I know a lot of you guys don't like him after what he did.
I look at him and I see a guy with an incredible hunger to win.
It may not have worked out yet, but I still admire that at least.

I'll also root for Zimmer and the Vikings.
He would have been a good head coach here.
The timing wasn't right, though.

This is spot on! He could see that this type of disappointment was never going to change as long as SOP is in control.

Change the people of change the people if you want a cultural shift in a organization and SOP will do neither. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 03:19 AM)J24 Wrote: Yeah he was smart for leaving one of the best rosters in the NFl to go to the raiders? Are you really that stupid Nate.

When he left we had a lousy defense, a RB with buttery hands, a HC who couldn't control anyone, 2 WRs who neither wanted to be here nor catch footballs, an OC who was bad and set for life, and a slew of TEs who couldn't catch.  Do you remember who was even on this team 5 years ago?

Also, Palmer never said "I want to leave Cincy and go to the Raiders because they are awesome!" he wanted to leave Cincy because absolutely no changes we being made after a god-awful season.  Hell, he probably figured he'd land in Seattle with Pete Carroll most likely.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 03:19 AM)J24 Wrote: Yeah he was smart for leaving one of the best rosters in the NFl to go to the raiders? Are you really that stupid Nate.

One of the best rosters in football  that as accomplished what? BTW he did not choose the Raiders he was traded...he wanted to play just not for SOP.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 03:22 AM)Nately120 Wrote: When he left we had a lousy defense, a RB with buttery hands, a HC who couldn't control anyone, 2 WRs who neither wanted to be here nor catch footballs, an OC who was bad and set for life, and a slew of TEs who couldn't catch.  Do you remember who was even on this team 5 years ago?

Also, Palmer never said "I want to leave Cincy and go to the Raiders because they are awesome!" he wanted to leave Cincy because absolutely no changes we being made after a god-awful season.  Hell, he probably figured he'd land in Seattle with Pete Carroll most likely.

AJ green coming up, two premier All star pass rushers in Geno and Dunlap coming up, and two all pro corners in Joseph and Hall. But whatever keep slurping palmer all you want. 
J24

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 03:24 AM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: One of the best rosters in football  that as accomplished what? BTW he did not choose the Raiders he was traded...he wanted to play just not for SOP.

Made 5 straight playoffs and two division titles in that span... he could have easily not sown up to play for the raiders ad voided the trade.
J24

Reply/Quote
Should have been Cincy VS Ari in the SB, so yea figures we would **** that up. Thanks Marvin, Hue, Hill, Burfict, Jones, Porter, Refs.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 03:27 AM)J24 Wrote: AJ green coming up, two premier All star pass rushers in Geno and Dunlap coming up, and two all pro corners in Joseph and Hall. But whatever keep slurping palmer all you want. 

Man, Carson must feel pretty empty missing out on 5-straight "participant" trophies with nothing but AZ Cardinals franchise records and a borderline MVP season to show for it.  Ouch.
Reply/Quote
"but have 5 playoff losses in a row changed our views on the way he left"

perhaps your view.

THere have been 3 coaches that made the playoffs 5 years in a row. One has tom brady as a QB, and the other has Aaron Rodgers...
When will people start to realize ML is an excellent coach. He was 12-5 for the season, and 4 games with injured QB.

An excellent coach makes an average team win, which is what Marvin does. This is the first year the bengals truly had a very good team (and should have won, but not our luck). During playoffs, average teams get exposed, and that is what has plagued Marvin.

I am sick of people harping on a team because they can't win in the playoffs. Guess what, you have to make it there first. We fire Marvin, Cincinnati will become an average team just out of playoffs within 2 years.

I am proud of the teams performance this year, and am excited of the next year.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 03:34 AM)moemoron Wrote: "but have 5 playoff losses in a row changed our views on the way he left"

perhaps your view.

Actually, when Palmer wanted out I realized Bengals fans had been complaining about Mike Brown for 19 years, Marvin Lewis for about 2 or 3, and Bob Bratkowski for about 5 or 6  years.  I could get why a guy who is an employee and not a "Bengals fan" would want out.  I'll say that the 2 years he was playing for the crappy Raiders and we were making the playoffs changed my perspective, BUT losing 3 more times in the playoffs and showing we learn nothing while he had an impressive resurgence with a half-decent franchise sort of changed it back.

(01-10-2016, 03:34 AM)moemoron Wrote: "We fire Marvin, Cincinnati will become an average team just out of playoffs within 2 years."

This is complete conjecture. We may as well say if we side with Carson and fire Marvin that Carson and Zimmer (as the HC) get AJ Green and make a playoff run or two.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 02:37 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Im definitely jumpin on the Zona bandwagon for rest of playoffs. Pickin them as my new temp team.

Vikings all the way. Go get 'em, Zim!

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 03:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Man, Carson must feel pretty empty missing out on 5-straight "participant" trophies with nothing but AZ Cardinals franchise records and a borderline MVP season to show for it.  Ouch.

How many playoffs wins does he have again?
J24

Reply/Quote