Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
We Almost Hired Eric Bieniemy in 2019!
(11-18-2021, 09:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And he will be by the end of this season.

.500 against the Steelers after 3 years.  I'll take it, but it's hard to deny that we set the bar low with this franchise.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just some context listening to sirius xm a few months back. Many owners are not giving him a head coaching job. over some controversial decision he made as a junior or senior in college. (Alleged domestic violence and assault I believe).
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 01:48 AM)pdub2005 Wrote:  I am 35 and I had no idea he played for the Bengals until I looked it up a few years ago. You gotta remember the 90s was basically the 'lost generation' for Bengals fans. So a lot of Bengals fans in that 20 to 40 year old range don't really have a lot of fond memories of the Bengals pre-Kitna (or Palmer for a lot of people). I think people my age primarily liked Bienemy because of the association with Mahomes and the Chiefs. Being associated with a successful head coach and team can do a lot for one's marketability. 

Right-side KR and HB3 on the Bengals, in Madden '98. That's how I learned of him.

I'm 32.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 03:42 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Right-side KR and HB3 on the Bengals, in Madden '98. That's how I learned of him.

I'm 32.

Can that beat Ickey Woods on RUN 2 in Tecmo Super Bowl?
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 03:12 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Just some context listening to sirius xm a few months back. Many owners are not giving him a head coaching job. over some controversial decision he made as a junior or senior in college. (Alleged domestic violence and assault I believe).

Quote:Legal issues[edit]

As a player at Colorado, Bieniemy was arrested along with a teammate following a February 1988 bar fight.[11] He pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct and fighting in public, and was sentenced to community service.[11] He also received discipline from head coach Bill McCartney.[11]
On July 4, 1990, Bieniemy pleaded no contest to interfering with a firefighter who had been performing his duties to extinguish a fire in Bieniemy's mother's garage.[12] Bieniemy received an eight-month suspended sentence[13] and was suspended for one game.[14] Bieniemy was instructed to do 40 hours of community service and attend an eight-hour firefighting training session.[12] An assistant city attorney said Bieniemy failed to attend the firefighting training session as stipulated in the plea agreement, but Bieniemy asserted the session was optional.[12]
In 1989, Bieniemy was ticketed in Westminster, Colorado for driving a defective vehicle, and in Aurora, Colorado for speeding. In October 1990, Bieniemy's license was suspended for a year after another traffic violation. On March 21, 1991, Bieniemy was caught speeding and driving with suspended license on I-70 near Rifle, Colorado, going 92 mph in a 65 mph zone. On April 17, 1991, Bieniemy failed to appear in court on charges relating to the March 21 incident. A bench warrant was issued in Colorado for his arrest on April 23, 1991, two days after he was drafted in the 1991 NFL Draft.[12]
On September 27, 1993, Bieniemy was arrested in Boulder, Colorado, for allegedly harassing a female parking attendant. According to the police report, while with his friends, Bieniemy put his hand on the attendant's neck, startling her. She told police he also made a comment about "a bunch of black males all at once being her worst nightmare,"[13] and that Bieniemy and his friends took off their pants and began urinating nearby. Bieniemy was also named in an outstanding warrant on a charge of driving with a suspended license. As a result of this incident, Bieniemy was banned from the University of Colorado Boulder campus for one year.[6][15]
In April 2001, Bieniemy was arrested for driving under the influence and was docked a month's pay.[16]
Not really head coach material.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 03:55 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not really head coach material.

I was living in Boulder in 1993. That incident occurred when he was playing in the NFL but had came back for a UC game.

I think he was with some fraternity brothers.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 04:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I was living in Boulder in 1993. That incident occurred when he was playing in the NFL but had came back for a UC game.

I think he was with some fraternity brothers.

Well his record shows an inability to stay out of trouble at that point in his life. Hopefully he grew out of it. But like everyone else, his past haunts him. 
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 06:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well his record shows an inability to stay out of trouble at that point in his life. Hopefully he grew out of it. But like everyone else, his past haunts him. 

The DUI in 2001 is the most troubling.  He was was not a stupid kid.  He was a 32-year-old RB coach at Colorado.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 03:42 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Right-side KR and HB3 on the Bengals, in Madden '98. That's how I learned of him.

I'm 32.

I pretty much remember him from Chris Berman's Eric "Sleeping With" Bienemy schtick from ESPN.
Reply/Quote
Whenever I hear his name I always think of this play.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/1997/oct/07/failed-play-was-called-by-player/

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 11:44 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Whenever I hear his name I always think of this play.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/1997/oct/07/failed-play-was-called-by-player/

We're gonna be aggressive...

- Zac Taylor (week 1)
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

I'm 32.

I think you would probably agree that a lot of people our age weren't exactly running to the Jungle. I knew some pretty hardcore fans growing up, but a lot of people in my district (Sycamore schools) turned to other teams. I think a lot of people our age were hoping the Bengals could give them a reason to care, but for most of my childhood they never did. I can remember the excitement around KiJana and Big Daddy, and even some hopeful people for Akili could do, but they definitely weren't the hot ticket item in town. One of my favorite commercials growing up was on WLW where a Reds player was telling fans to come down to the park, and one of his lines was 'Just remember, the Reds win more games in a week than the Bengals do all season."  
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 11:41 AM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I respect even your opinion.  I have no respect for racial comments of any kind.  That said, I'll move on from that.

No reason to write the rest of the ZT book though, he's given us a fun team to watch this year.  Heck, even last year it was fun to watch, it just rarely ended well.  

We had two rough losses in a row, but let's watch 'em smoke the Raiders and see if our opinion rebounds.

I mean if we want to go off that, then from like 94-98 when Shake n Bake were our offense they gave us a "fun team to watch" but did that team win?  I could careless if the teams fun or not as long as they win.  

As I've said, this Vegas game will determine their season IMO.  If they get blown out on Sunday/show up like they did for the Browns, then this team will spiral the rest of the season.  If they win this game then, I think they finish 9-8.   
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 10:48 AM)TJ528 Wrote: I mean if we want to go off that, then from like 94-98 when Shake n Bake were our offense they gave us a "fun team to watch" but did that team win?  I could careless if the teams fun or not as long as they win.  

As I've said, this Vegas game will determine their season IMO.  If they get blown out on Sunday/show up like they did for the Browns, then this team will spiral the rest of the season.  If they win this game then, I think they finish 9-8.   

In 94 and 98, the Bengals had a bottom of the league offense. Those two teams had nothing going for them. In 97 and 96, the Bengals had top 10 offenses. Those teams finished 7-9 and 8-8, not too far off of your best case scenario of 9-8 here. 
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 10:48 AM)TJ528 Wrote: I mean if we want to go off that, then from like 94-98 when Shake n Bake were our offense they gave us a "fun team to watch" but did that team win?  I could careless if the teams fun or not as long as they win.  

It's Shake n BLake! Because of Jeff BLAKE Sheesh. What do you think our QB is called Burrowsssssssssssssssss?  Sarcasm
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 11:03 AM)PhilHos Wrote: It's Shake n BLake! Because of Jeff BLAKE Sheesh. What do you think our QB is called Burrowsssssssssssssssss?  Sarcasm

Listen I missed an L but that offense was the best thing to happen in that 10 year dead period. 

I can't say anything in the last 5 years has matched Blake and Pickens and Scott...then throw in some Corey Dillon/Bienemy. 
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 11:08 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Listen I missed an L but that offense was the best thing to happen in that 10 year dead period. 

No doubt. To this day, one of my favorite Bengal plays was a big pass from Blake to Pickens but the pass arched so high it went out of frame on the TV and didn't come back into frame until it dropped into Pickens hands (I don't even remembe rif it was a TD, but it was such an awesome display)

(11-19-2021, 11:08 AM)TJ528 Wrote: I can't say anything in the last 5 years has matched Blake and Pickens and Scott...then throw in some Corey Dillon/Bienemy. 

Burrow to Chase is pretty darned close, but you ain't wrong.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 11:10 AM)PhilHos Wrote: No doubt. To this day, one of my favorite Bengal plays was a big pass from Blake to Pickens but the pass arched so high it went out of frame on the TV and didn't come back into frame until it dropped into Pickens hands (I don't even remembe rif it was a TD, but it was such an awesome display)

Burrow to Chase is pretty darned close, but you ain't wrong.

I remember that play as well.  That's one thing about Blake, dude threw the prettiest deep ball you'd ever see.  

If only he had a defense while he was here and we spent $$$ in free agency we might have been 10-6 with all that talent on offense than 7-9 and 8-8. 

As far as Chase and Burrow.  Love the duo, however, I think the offensive line in 1998 might have actually been better than it is now.  The WR at the time in the NFL i would've put in the Top 10.  RB position i would put in the Top 5, OL with Willie Anderson, Mike Goff, Rich Braham, Rod Jones....hell those 4 alone would start on our OL.  
Reply/Quote