Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Can Still Punt For Penei
(12-24-2020, 01:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You can come up with all the analogies you want, passing on a talent like Chase (if there’s no trade option) would be a mistake, imo.

And no not any WR/TE can be a red zone threat. Auden Tate 0 TD’s. Drew Sample 0 TD’s. Alex Erickson 0 TD’s. AJ didn’t get his 1st TD until week 11.

If we take Sewell 3rd, I’m sure you’ll be against Marshall or another WR in the 2nd, too. I can understand not wanting to go WR that early, but you seem to think we’re all set because we have 2 guys. And I couldn’t disagree more with that. We either need another high end WR or a real pass catching TE.

There is talent across the sprectrum of positions with #3 pick and even at WR Chase is not consensus, it comes done to need base and  you can believe what you want but reality  is top end WR is like 4th to 5th need position for this team..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 12:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This just is not true at all.

There have been 32 Pro Bowl WRs drafted since 2010 and more of them came from the second round (12) than the first round (9).  In fact there have been almost as many taken in the third round (7) as in the first (9).

The pro bowl isn’t a good measurement for success. We all saw the best free safety in the league get snubbed with this years vote. Popularity contest.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 12:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Tee Higgins averaged over 18 yards per reception in College and was averaging over 16 yards per reception (just shy of 100 YPG) in his last 4 games with Joe. He can easily be a deep threat and a #1. Any receiver (better yet, TE) gives us another red zone threat. 

Drafting WR at #3 is like putting another coat of paint on a car with no engine. 

He played in a much easier conference than Chase
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 01:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: There is talent across the sprectrum of positions with #3 pick and even at WR Chase is not consensus, it comes done to need base and  you can believe what you want but reality  is top end WR is like 4th to 5th need position for this team..

Going solely off need it should be OL or DL. Sewell could be gone and then we’re taking the 2nd best player at that position 3rd overall. Not ideal. For DL I’ve seen Rousseau mocked as late as 32nd.

From CBS sports:

The Chiefs could stand to upgrade its pass rush and if Rousseau is sitting here he'd be hard to pass up. Rousseau opted out in 2020 and there are questions about how his talents translate to the next level, but it's hard to overlook his 15.5 sacks in 2019, especially since he's a converted WR.

He probably goes much higher, but that doesn’t exactly make me want to take him at 3.

I guess the DT Nixon could be an option or Kwitty Paye. If we have a top 5 grade on them by all means take one of them. I just don’t want to reach out of need. After OL/DL I don’t think there’s much of a gap in positional need between say CB, WR, TE. I firmly believe Chase is worthy of being a top 5 pick. That’s really all it comes down to. I understand WR isn’t our biggest need, and never tried to argue otherwise. He would make us instantly better though. Kid had 1780 yds and 20 TD’s (both SEC records) playing with Joe. That’s insane.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 02:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Going solely off need it should be OL or DL. Sewell could be gone and then we’re taking the 2nd best player at that position 3rd overall. Not ideal. For DL I’ve seen Rousseau mocked as late as 32nd.

From CBS sports:

The Chiefs could stand to upgrade its pass rush and if Rousseau is sitting here he'd be hard to pass up. Rousseau opted out in 2020 and there are questions about how his talents translate to the next level, but it's hard to overlook his 15.5 sacks in 2019, especially since he's a converted WR.

He probably goes much higher, but that doesn’t exactly make me want to take him at 3.

I guess the DT Nixon could be an option or Kwitty Paye. If we have a top 5 grade on them by all means take one of them. I just don’t want to reach out of need. After OL/DL I don’t think there’s much of a gap in positional need between say CB, WR, TE. I firmly believe Chase is worthy of being a top 5 pick. That’s really all it comes down to. I understand WR isn’t our biggest need, and never tried to argue otherwise. He would make us instantly better though. Kid had 1780 yds and 20 TD’s (both SEC records) playing with Joe. That’s insane.

Just saw a mock that had Chase as 4th WR taken in mid 1st round, saw another mock that had Rousseau going 6th.. again there is no one pick at #3 outside of Sewell and with WR being the best top end position we have, very unlikely and unrealistic to think Bengals pick a WR at #3 with much greater needs.. does not matter how much you beat you love Chase it still does not square with top team needs. It probably comes down to Parsons LB and Surtain CB who are much more of a consensus top pick at their positions than Chase is or Rousseau is probably a bit high at top 3. Parsons makes much more sense with our 3/4 alignment and need at LB and Surtain is the obvious pick if we let WJ3 walk...
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 01:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You can come up with all the analogies you want, passing on a talent like Chase (if there’s no trade option) would be a mistake, imo.

And no not any WR/TE can be a red zone threat. Auden Tate 0 TD’s. Drew Sample 0 TD’s. Alex Erickson 0 TD’s. AJ didn’t get his 1st TD until week 11.

If we take Sewell 3rd, I’m sure you’ll be against Marshall or another WR in the 2nd, too. I can understand not wanting to go WR that early, but you seem to think we’re all set because we have 2 guys. And I couldn’t disagree more with that. We either need another high end WR or a real pass catching TE.

I'd have 0 problem going WR at 35. The fact that Tee has been and continues to be a deep threat and shows promise of being a true number one is not an analogy; it's a reality. What I'd like really like a WR is a true burner that can catch and be complimentary to T2. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 01:47 PM)Kaiden.Gower Wrote: He played in a much easier conference than Chase

In his career Tee played SEC teams 7 times. He had 25 catches for 653 yards. That's over 90 yards per game at  over 26 YPC. Something tells me he would have done OK in the SEC
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 04:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: In his career Tee played SEC teams 7 times. He had 25 catches for 653 yards. That's over 90 yards per game at  over 26 YPC. Something tells me he would have done OK in the SEC

... Did alright in the NFL.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
we should lose so burrow gets the protection he needs and taylor is gone.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 04:48 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: we should lose so burrow gets the protection he needs and taylor is gone.

I prefer not to lose with Burrow next year.... how about we support  Burrow and ZT next season to win
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 03:29 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Just saw a mock that had Chase as 4th WR taken in mid 1st round, saw another mock that had Rousseau going 6th.. again there is no one pick at #3 outside of Sewell and with WR being the best top end position we have, very unlikely and unrealistic to think Bengals pick a WR at #3 with much greater needs.. does not matter how much you beat you love Chase it still does not square with top team needs. It probably comes down to Parsons LB and Surtain CB who are much more of a consensus top pick at their positions than Chase is or Rousseau is probably a bit high at top 3. Parsons makes much more sense with our 3/4 alignment and need at LB and Surtain is the obvious pick if we let WJ3 walk...

No chance they take Parsons. You want to talk about need priority, we have taken 4 LBers in the last 2 drafts.

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 01:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: At this point I think we're looking for WR3. I'd much rather spend our early 2nd Rounder on whichever side of the line we don't address in the 1st.

Give me a fast, slot guy later in the draft 4-5 rd. maybe someone like Chat Atwell out of UofL or Whop Philyor out of IU

(12-03-2020, 09:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What position have we hit on in late rounbs?

Point is; this team needs more than a 3rd WR with the 35th pick in the draft. 

(12-24-2020, 04:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd have 0 problem going WR at 35. The fact that Tee has been and continues to be a deep threat and shows promise of being a true number one is not an analogy; it's a reality. What I'd like really like a WR is a true burner that can catch and be complimentary to T2. 

You seem like you do have a problem with it...

But we’re just going around and around on this. Hopefully Sewell is there so it’s a moot point anyway (Chase I mean).

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 09:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No chance they take Parsons. You want to talk about need priority, we have taken 4 LBers in the last 2 drafts.

None in round 1/2 and we have taken a WR or TE in 2nd round last 2 drafts plus bynes on one yr contract , and only Wilson saw alot of playing time and Bailey 7th round never saw the field and switch to 3-4  def and the continued running philosophy of Ravens and Browns make LB a priority especially over WR.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 10:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: None in round 1/2 and we have taken a WR or TE in 2nd round last 2 drafts plus bynes on one yr contract , and only Wilson saw alot of playing time and Bailey 7th round never saw the field and switch to 3-4  def and the continued running philosophy of Ravens and Browns make LB a priority especially over WR.

What does their playing time have to do with anything? Point is we have 4 young LBers with a decent amount of potential. Pratt just had the best game of his career. And Bailey has seen the field. They’re starting to ease him in. He played 16% of the def snaps against Dallas and 14% against Pittsburgh. And he’s played a bunch of ST all year.

I would be absolutely shocked if they took Parsons. If they go defense it should be Surtain (or Farley), and let WJ3 walk.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 10:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What does their playing time have to do with anything? Point is we have 4 young LBers with a decent amount of potential. Pratt just had the best game of his career. And Bailey has seen the field. They’re starting to ease him in. He played 16% of the def snaps against Dallas and 14% against Pittsburgh. And he’s played a bunch of ST all year.

I would be absolutely shocked if they took Parsons. If they go defense it should be Surtain (or Farley), and let WJ3 walk.
That is like saying we have 8 lineman with playing time so we dont need any more. Still need impact t LB especially if Bynes walks, you keep moving the goal post, WR still better shape than LB or Corner we lose WJ3 will be shocked if we roll with WR at 3, Ross pick still stings I bet to the Browns. 
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 11:08 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: That is like saying we have 8 lineman with playing time so we dont need any more. Still need impact t LB especially if Bynes walks, you keep moving the goal post, WR still better shape than LB or Safety, will be shocked if we roll with WR at 3, Ross pick still stings I bet to the Browns. 

I’m not moving the goalposts on anything. You brought up Parsons, and I pointed out we’ve taken 4 LBers in 2 years. And ofc the Ross pick stings, so did all the OL picks we missed on like Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Price. Didn’t stop them from taking Jonah in the 1st round.

How is WR in better shape than safety? We have 2 good WR’s, and we have 2 good safeties (actually 1 elite safety and 1 good). Same with LB, Wilson and Pratt at the very least are starters, then you have guys with potential like ADG and Bailey.

I don’t see how a WR group that has 3 guys under contract next year (Boyd, Tee, Tate) is in better shape. Especially when Tate has not taken the next step (1 TD in 3 years) or shown the ability to stay healthy.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 11:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not moving the goalposts on anything. You brought up Parsons, and I pointed out we’ve taken 4 LBers in 2 years. And ofc the Ross pick stings, so did all the OL picks we missed on like Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Price. Didn’t stop them from taking Jonah in the 1st round.

How is WR in better shape than safety? We have 2 good WR’s, and we have 2 good safeties (actually 1 elite safety and 1 good). Same with LB, Wilson and Pratt at the very least are starters, then you have guys with potential like ADG and Bailey.

I don’t see how a WR group that has 3 guys under contract next year (Boyd, Tee, Tate) is in better shape. Especially when Tate has not taken the next step (1 TD in 2 years) or shown the ability to stay healthy.

I meant corner if WJ3 goes. We have a much better to end at WR with Boyd and Tee over Wlison and Pratt by far.  Not even close.. we still don't have that impact LB like we have impact WR.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 11:24 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I meant corner if WJ3 goes. We have a much better to end at WR with Boyd and Tee over Wlison and Pratt by far.  Not even close.. we still don't have that impact LB like we have impact WR.

Impact LB is nice to have, but you don’t “need” one. I don’t remember KC having one last year when they won the Super Bowl.

Reply/Quote
What the Chiefs did do is go out and get Sammy Watkins to give Mahomes another weapon (even though they had Hill & Kelce). We could go that route, but I’d rather bring in a big name OG in FA, because we don’t have time to wait around on a bunch of rookie OL. Burrow needs to be protected now. We could have 2 pretty inexperienced guys in Jonah and Sewell in front of him as it is.

Reply/Quote
Fields having a 6 TD game against Clemson helped our pursuit of Sewell. Much more likely QBs go 1-2 now. And Wilson could go top 5 as well.

If we lose and the Falcons/Texans win, I could see us landing Sewell at #4. I could see ATL drafting Ryan's replacement or trading down to a QB seeker for more picks. Miami (with Houston's pick) worries me the most. They have Tua. Trading down for picks to a QB seeker or taking a WR seems possible, but protecting Tua also makes a ton of sense.

If Sewell is gone, I'd take Surtain or Parsons. Or try to trade down a notch. Take whomever is left of Smith, Chase, Waddle, Surtain, or Parsons. Go big on OL in FA. Re-sign Lawson. And deal with our other pressing needs with subsequent picks (DL, CB, WR, OL, TE).
Reply/Quote