Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Can Still Punt For Penei
I just don’t see why the Jets would pass on Sewell. He’s the top non-QB prospect in the draft. Sure, they could make the wrong selection, but I wouldn’t bank on it.

If someone wants to trade up for a QB I would think they would want to trade with us at 3. No need to leapfrog us as we aren’t in the market. If anything they’re leapfrogging us to draft Sewell—and at that point, why wouldn’t the Jets just take him? I’d love to be proved wrong if we end up staying at 3 and he falls, but it’s silly to get ones hopes up when the chances are slim.

At this point, with Sewell likely gone at 2, I don’t care if we win out. We’d be in good position to draft a pass rusher, corner, or offensive lineman at pick 7 or 8. Similarly, if we stay at 3, trading down is a good option, but I wouldn’t be against taking BPA.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 04:00 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I just don’t see why the Jets would pass on Sewell. He’s the top non-QB prospect in the draft. Sure, they could make the wrong selection, but I wouldn’t bank on it.

If someone wants to trade up for a QB I would think they would want to trade with us at 3. No need to leapfrog us as we aren’t in the market. If anything they’re leapfrogging us to draft Sewell—and at that point, why wouldn’t the Jets just take him? I’d love to be proved wrong if we end up staying at 3 and he falls, but it’s silly to get ones hopes up when the chances are slim.

At this point, with Sewell likely gone at 2, I don’t care if we win out. We’d be in good position to draft a pass rusher, corner, or offensive lineman at pick 7 or 8. Similarly, if we stay at 3, trading down is a good option, but I wouldn’t be against taking BPA.

Have you seen Darnold? I think they are ready to move on and if there is a franchise QB you take a chance. This years class has performed well (Burrow, Herby, Tua, Hurts) which reinforces the logic behind doing so.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 04:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Have you seen Darnold? I think they are ready to move on and if there is a franchise QB you take a chance. This years class has performed well (Burrow, Herby, Tua, Hurts) which reinforces the logic behind doing so.

They have the ammunition to move back into the top 10 for a QB and if they trade Darnold for the going rate of a 2nd + 5th then they would have even more ammunition to make a deal. 
Would the Jets rather have a Wilson + late first pick or a Sewell + a QB? I would go with option 2 personally.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 02:47 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: The path to the 3rd overall pick whilst still beating the Ravens

Week 16
Carolina win at Washington
Atlanta at Kansas - can't expect anything here
Houston v Cincy - Texans win
Philly (tied) at Dallas - Philly win (or indeed tie)

Week 17
Cincy v Baltimore - Bengals win
Houston v Titans - if the Texans win Week 16 the Bengals can't catch them so doesn't matter
Atlanta at Tampa - if the Buccs have already clinched their play-off spot they can rest players allowing a shock Falcons win
Philly v Washington -  if Philly don't win against the Cowboys a win or tie here would preserve that 3rd pick for Bengaldom

This is the other point people need to understand.  There is more than just the Texans that we drop below with one more win (assuming they lose):  Carolina and Carolina both have four wins, so our tie would put us behind them in draft order and I don't know the tie breaker with Philly, but we could also drop below them.  I am hoping for a "good show", especially on defense against the Texans and Rats...

If that makes me a bad fan, so be it....I think the people believing Fields would drop haven't paid attention to the kid's athleticism and what he can do when he had his receivers out there.   He will light up the combine and teams will still covet QBs.  If someone takes Sewell, fine.  We will still have a pick that could bring a really good haul of picks or potentially a guy like Ja'Marr Chase.  

I don't see how we lose by losing :)
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 03:06 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Ehhh...although I forgot about that when I wrote my post, both of these teams are capable of playing and producing 2 L's. 

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 02:04 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: The W vs the stealers didn't really change anything - unless we win again.

At 3-10-1, if we lose our next 2 we'll be 3-12-1.

The JetsJags or JagsJets get the first 2 picks. Even if they both win out, they can't "catch" us.

We're currently slotted at #3.

Above us is Houston at 4-10. If they lose their next 2, they'd be 4-12, and we couldn't "catch" them if we did the same.

Therefore, we had our fun vs. PIT. It was an awesome W, but let's get back to our regularly scheduled programming, go out Sunday and play Bungles Football.

Of course, if it is the Jets at #2, they could very well pick Penei because Fields no longer looks like any sort of a sure thing. I wouldn't want him. If the Jets do pick Penei we need to trade down with some QB hungry team who either wants Fields, Trask, Lance, etc. Jamarr Chase at #3 solves none of our problems.

If we beat Houston and Baltimore that will go a longer way in fixing the Bengals than drafting Penei.. so lets  WIN OUT... 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 06:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: If we beat Houston and Baltimore that will go a longer way in fixing the Bengals than drafting Penei.. so lets  WIN OUT... 

Let me clarify by saying I'm not rooting for the Bengals to lose their last two games for draft position.  

That said, how do you figure winning these last two games and lowering draft position does anything to improve the team?  I don't believe in momentum if you're talking about a 5 win team going into the offseason, and momentum is about the only win I can see from winning out.  The team ended on a win last year and had the momentum and energy of 1OA and their dream QB in the draft.  That "momentum" didn't get them a win this year until the 4th game of the season.  

I'm genuinely curious to hear your thoughts.  I want the team to be "fixed" and have a stellar year not just next year but for the next several years.  I just don't understand how winning out fixes anything. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 04:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Have you seen Darnold? I think they are ready to move on and if there is a franchise QB you take a chance. This years class has performed well (Burrow, Herby, Tua, Hurts) which reinforces the logic behind doing so.

You could be right. I’m not getting my hopes up though. Usually the best players are picked in order. Washington was in a similar position to grab a QB at 2 last year with an aging Smith, and Haskins, who has done as much (or should I say ‘as little’) as Darnold. I feel like if they are trading down for a QB, someone is trading up for Sewell. But we’ll see.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 02:15 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: If the jets pick 2/aren’t interested in a QB there- I’d say they’ll trade the pick to a QB hungry team. I think at 3, we’ll get Sewell.

Yeah, there's some talk about the jets taking sewell. If they do, the #3 becomes a very tradable pick. Personally, from what I'm seeing and the rumors of who is picking where, we could possible trade back to the falcons at 6ish and get rosseau, which would be good. 
Reply/Quote
People are down on Justin Fields right now (myself included), but we shouldn't rule out QB until we see how Fields does against Alabama.
Also, Zach Wilson is continuing to build steam. He just threw for 425 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs in his bowl game. His PFF rating this year is higher than Joe Burrow's was last year (95.5 vs 94.9).
So even if Fields isn't the guy, Wilson could be. And if the Bengals do miss out on Penei, a team may be REALLY interested in trading with the Bengals to take Wilson or Fields, especially with CAR picking at 4. One might think CAR isn't interested in a QB, but Bridgewater is only signed through 2022 and only has a dead cap of $5 mill in 2022. As such, CAR could look to take a QB to sit behind Bridgewater for a year then have him take over in 2022.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 02:56 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Hopefully we get Sewell.

The good news is there's a player named Rashawn Slater who many people are saying is not far behind Sewell (and some are ballsy enough to rank him higher than Sewell)

Normally, I wouldn't pay much mind to one person making an outlier projection/ranking but Daniel Jeremiah is considered a good evaluator. He was the one calling Mekhi Becton OT1 in last year's class and, while it's still early, he has definitely performed very well for the Jets compared to Andrew Thomas for the Giants.

I haven't watched Slater play so I have no idea if the buzz is warranted, but I would not be surprised if the 2nd and 3rd best prospects in the draft end up being Sewell and Slater by the time the draft is here. The offseason allows for a lot of movement up and down boards and, while I don't think Sewell is going anywhere in terms of being a top 5 prospect in the class, I think Slater has a pretty good chance of trending up towards that area, assuming the hype around him is warranted.

I really liked how Slater played against the Bucks.  He is  a stud and probably will better guard.  But Sewell just looks mean as hell with nasty.  I like nasty.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 06:30 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Let me clarify by saying I'm not rooting for the Bengals to lose their last two games for draft position.  

That said, how do you figure winning these last two games and lowering draft position does anything to improve the team?  I don't believe in momentum if you're talking about a 5 win team going into the offseason, and momentum is about the only win I can see from winning out.  The team ended on a win last year and had the momentum and energy of 1OA and their dream QB in the draft.  That "momentum" didn't get them a win this year until the 4th game of the season.  

I'm genuinely curious to hear your thoughts.  I want the team to be "fixed" and have a stellar year not just next year but for the next several years.  I just don't understand how winning out fixes anything. 

Winning the next two would do wonders to give the team confidence. They have been lacking confidence all year. Burrow’s presence gradually raised the confidence of the team, culminating in the Titans win. Losing Burrow shattered the team’s confidence. Winning the next two would raise the confidence in the overall team behind Burrow.

This offensive line could sure use a confidence boost, as well as an upgrade or two personnel-wise. The defense has slowly been gaining confidence. Most of the year they lacked confidence late in games and couldn’t close any out. If they gain the confidence to do so, maybe next year they don’t blow so many leads late in games.

I’m not saying we’ll win the next two, but if we did, it would be good for the team’s confidence going into next year.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 06:30 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Let me clarify by saying I'm not rooting for the Bengals to lose their last two games for draft position.  

Where did I say Fix things ?  I am saying winning is more important than a single #3 pick in the draft for this team.
ZT and players feel they are closer than many on the board etc.. by winning out ( 3 games, 2 against playoff contenders which is much difference than 1 win against Browns in Dalton's last game and  actually almost tripling the wins from last year 2 to 5.5 starts to build that believe.. the mental game is very important to the physical game especially doing this without so many pieces that you thought you would have hurt or gone by end of season. 
 Also if our defense continues to play well over 2nd half of the season just adds to the importance if getting wins and building that mentality

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 07:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Where did I say Fix things ?  I am saying winning is more important than a single #3 pick in the draft for this team.
ZT and players feel they are closer than many on the board etc.. by winning out ( 3 games, 2 against playoff contenders which is much difference than 1 win against Browns in Dalton's last game and  actually almost tripling the wins from last year 2 to 5.5 starts to build that believe.. the mental game is very important to the physical game especially doing this without so many pieces that you thought you would have hurt or gone by end of season. 
 Also if our defense continues to play well over 2nd half of the season just adds to the importance if getting wins and building that mentality

You said fixes right here:  
(12-23-2020, 06:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: If we beat Houston and Baltimore that will go a longer way in fixing the Bengals than drafting Penei.. so lets  WIN OUT... 

Also, no disrespect at all, but I don't give a rat's backside how "close" ZT feels this team is.  He hasn't been able to get these guys motivated or over the hump in all the close games they've had.  They've gotten blown out in others.  His playcalling makes no sense.  He sails like a ship without a rudder.  So he goes into a presser and says they're close.  Of course he does!  Is he going to admit that he's in over his head and has no clue how to manage an NFL football team?  He won't even admit that his OC duties he's taken on aren't bearing fruit or might be distracting him and letting someone else step in.  The guy's an ego trip.  So I don't really care what he says, I don't believe it.  

I saw a team on Monday night that played with some energy.  Earlier in the season I saw Burrow go out and try to take the team on his back to win games.  I don't credit ZT with any of that.  I don't expect a team of professionals to come out and declare they think ZT is a joke.  I don't expect the Brown family to come out mid-season and say it, either.  But I don't think winning out this year is a magical pill filled with confidence that takes this team to 9 or 10 wins next year.  There is more the team needs to do to get to that place, and while winning is nice, I just don't think it makes much of a difference to what happens 9 months from now. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 07:11 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: You said fixes right here:  

Also, no disrespect at all, but I don't give a rat's backside how "close" ZT feels this team is.  He hasn't been able to get these guys motivated or over the hump in all the close games they've had.  They've gotten blown out in others.  His playcalling makes no sense.  He sails like a ship without a rudder.  So he goes into a presser and says they're close.  Of course he does!  Is he going to admit that he's in over his head and has no clue how to manage an NFL football team?  He won't even admit that his OC duties he's taken on aren't bearing fruit or might be distracting him and letting someone else step in.  The guy's an ego trip.  So I don't really care what he says, I don't believe it.  

I saw a team on Monday night that played with some energy.  Earlier in the season I saw Burrow go out and try to take the team on his back to win games.  I don't credit ZT with any of that.  I don't expect a team of professionals to come out and declare they think ZT is a joke.  I don't expect the Brown family to come out mid-season and say it, either.  But I don't think winning out this year is a magical pill filled with confidence that takes this team to 9 or 10 wins next year.  There is more the team needs to do to get to that place, and while winning is nice, I just don't think it makes much of a difference to what happens 9 months from now. 

I dont buy  only Burrow can make plays no one else , he made great plays and bads plays also.. other players made plays too. My point was I never said winning would fix everything but would help to us on the way to fix things. I was very confident that ZT is here 3 years so I want to build on success with an improved team at end of year. I hope our defense continues to improve on a solid 2nd half and our remade line continues to show improvement and win out..
Reply/Quote
I solidly oppose trying to lose just to get a particular draft pick. You should try to win every game even if you go into the last game 0-15.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 08:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I solidly oppose trying to lose just to get a particular draft pick.  You should try to win every game even if you go into the last game 0-15.

Now you're just being a fan. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 06:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: People are down on Justin Fields right now (myself included), but we shouldn't rule out QB until we see how Fields does against Alabama.
Also, Zach Wilson is continuing to build steam. He just threw for 425 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs in his bowl game. His PFF rating this year is higher than Joe Burrow's was last year (95.5 vs 94.9).
So even if Fields isn't the guy, Wilson could be. And if the Bengals do miss out on Penei, a team may be REALLY interested in trading with the Bengals to take Wilson or Fields, especially with CAR picking at 4. One might think CAR isn't interested in a QB, but Bridgewater is only signed through 2022 and only has a dead cap of $5 mill in 2022. As such, CAR could look to take a QB to sit behind Bridgewater for a year then have him take over in 2022.

Fields will have to get through Clemson before he sees Alabama.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 08:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Now you're just being a fan. 
That is what we are fans nothing else
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 03:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't know. I don't think I want the 2nd best OT with the 3rd overall pick. That sounds an awful lot like settling, which is rough to do when there's legit talent available there.

If Sewell isn't there, I would go Ja'Marr Chase or maybe consider trading down (depending on the return) just a couple spots (probably no lower than 6th or 7th) to a team who wants Fields and take Kyle Pitts (or maybe Slater if he's still there).

It would definitely be nice to get the best player at any given position when picking that high. That’s probably Sewell, Chase, Pitts, Surtain, Rousseau, Parsons, Nixon, etc.

Reply/Quote