Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
We are average
I hate to break it to everyone, but our team is average. We've really been kind of average for two years.

We have an elite QB and a solid D which, in the playoffs, means a W a lot of time.

The frustrating thing is that we have a winning record against winning teams (3-2) and a losing record against losing teams (1-2).

So, all is not lost. The NFL is about parity and we're seeing it week after week.

Granted, our schedule looks tough, but if we keep winning against winning teams... we're still in this.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I've mentioned it in a few threads and agree, it is an average team based on record. I thought the offseason OL signings would propel us forward to the next tier with teams like KC and Buffalo. I was incorrect.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 09:05 AM)EatonFan Wrote: I hate to break it to everyone, but our team is average.  We've really been kind of average for two years.  

We have an elite QB and a solid D which, in the playoffs, means a W a lot of time.

The frustrating thing is that we have a winning record against winning teams (3-2) and a losing record against losing teams (1-2).

So, all is not lost.  The NFL is about parity and we're seeing it week after week.

Granted, our schedule looks tough, but if we keep winning against winning teams... we're still in this.

Losing Chido for the season is a really tough obstacle to overcome.  He took away every team's #1 WR and now Apple will be doing that.  Frightening.  

As far as beating winning teams, that is something this team has done for a while now.  They get up for their best competition, and play down to their lowest competition, often losing a close one.  If we had Chido, I would feel optimistic about games like KC and Buffalo, but without him, I don't think the Bengal can score at that rate.  

I know trade deadline has come and gone, but I think you can still steal from teams PS.  Dreaming they find a hidden gem for depth at CB and WR.  
Reply/Quote
I read this as ‘We are avenge’. I will keep it at that and leave.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 09:05 AM)EatonFan Wrote: I hate to break it to everyone, but our team is average.  We've really been kind of average for two years.  

So, all is not lost.  The NFL is about parity and we're seeing it week after week.

Don't disagree that we're currently average, but I do feel like it's our own fault (i.e. we aren't being beaten by better teams). Blame it on coaching, injuries, the OL taking too long to gel, Burrow taking too long to recover from his appendectomy, etc, but I feel like if we just straighten things out, even with our injuries, we should still be winning most of our games and be above average.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 09:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Losing Chido for the season is a really tough obstacle to overcome.  He took away every team's #1 WR and now Apple will be doing that.  Frightening.  

As far as beating winning teams, that is something this team has done for a while now.  They get up for their best competition, and play down to their lowest competition, often losing a close one.  If we had Chido, I would feel optimistic about games like KC and Buffalo, but without him, I don't think the Bengal can score at that rate.  

I know trade deadline has come and gone, but I think you can still steal from teams PS.  Dreaming they find a hidden gem for depth at CB and WR.  

In the Buff game ..im more concerend over the Buff D vs our O line...
that could get ugleeee  real quick for JB.. Buff has some studs on D with Miller, Greg Rouseau, Milano, Oliver, Phillips, Edmunds
Damn that team is just stacked on both Sides
Reply/Quote
I'd surmise that a 4-4 record would make the "average" disclaimer obsolete. Fact is, though, there are no dominant teams anymore. The margin for victory in the NFL is probably closer than it's ever been. I know the Eagles are undefeated, but does anyone really feel a sense of hopelessness when facing Philly?
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 09:13 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I've mentioned it in a few threads and agree, it is an average team based on record. I thought the offseason OL signings would propel us forward to the next tier with teams like KC and Buffalo. I was incorrect.

I think a lot of us were incorrect on that one ol buddy....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 10:41 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I'd surmise that a 4-4 record would make the "average" disclaimer obsolete.  Fact is, though, there are no dominant teams anymore.  The margin for victory in the NFL is probably closer than it's ever been.  I know the Eagles are undefeated, but does anyone really feel a sense of hopelessness when facing Philly?

Honestly, i feel like there are currently only 2 elite teams in the NFL: Buffalo and Kansas City. We could've been up there prior to the injuries on the defense if our offense played up to its potential. But, one of the things that makes the NFL such a great sports league is its parity. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
JB is solid and we are lucky to have him but he is inconsistent IMO

He is not in the same camp as Mahomes and Allen

Do you all think those two would not excel even in our crappy system? They would. They are absolutely elite.

JB is still a top 10 QB —but Allen and Mahomes are in a class by themselves.

I also think JB lost a step this year.

Sorry Homers.
Reply/Quote
If it makes you feel better the entire NFL is average besides Bills, KC, and Philly.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 11:16 AM)Whacked Wrote: JB is solid and we are lucky to have him but he is inconsistent IMO

Do you all think those two would not excel even in our crappy system? They would. They are absolutely elite.

Sorry Homers.

I agree that I think they are a tier above, but JB does have some things working against him that those 2 do not.

1. They are more experienced. Both are at least 5+ years in the league now. This is only Burrows 3rd season.

2. Better coaching. I am not a Taylor hater but obviously Reid and McDermont are a tier or 2 higher than Taylor. 

3. Better athletes. This one Burrow can't really help, but Mahomes and Allen are both physical freaks that can only do certain things nobody else can do. Mix that with those teams better schemes and coaching, and you get elite play.

I really think a change in scheme, to increase the effectiveness of the run game, and scheming players open more often would help tremendously. Currently we just hope individual talent will win out, but when it doesn't we struggle. Talent is too close in the NFL for that to work consistently, we need better execution and ways to exploit match ups. 

So while Mahomes and Allen would do better because of their physical gifts, I doubt they would dominate either.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 11:28 AM)Garrus Wrote: I agree that I think they are a tier above, but JB does have some things working against him that those 2 do not.

1. They are more experienced. Both are at least 5+ years in the league now. This is only Burrows 3rd season.

2. Better coaching. I am not a Taylor hater but obviously Reid and McDermont are a tier or 2 higher than Taylor. 

3. Better athletes. This one Burrow can't really help, but Mahomes and Allen are both physical freaks that can only do certain things nobody else can do. Mix that with those teams better schemes and coaching, and you get elite play.

I really think a change in scheme, to increase the effectiveness of the run game, and scheming players open more often would help tremendously. Currently we just hope individual talent will win out, but when it doesn't we struggle. Talent is too close in the NFL for that to work consistently, we need better execution and ways to exploit match ups. 

So while Mahomes and Allen would do better because of their physical gifts, I doubt they would dominate either.

There seems to be some short memories wrt Allen. He didn’t even breakout until his 3rd season (Burrow did it in his 2nd), and he sure as hell wasn’t what he is now until he got Diggs.

Reply/Quote

Remember, the Bengals were consistently inconsistent last year up until mid-December. They were 7-6 after Dec 12 game with 49ers.
They never won more than 2 games in a row until the very end of the season when they beat DEN, BAL, and KC.

This year, they seem to be in that same pattern - not winning more than two games in a row.
2 losses, followed by 2 wins, then a loss, then 2 more wins, then a loss.

A big part of that late-season winning last year was a few big plays that swung from a loss to a win.
We have seen very few games where the offense is running on all cylinders.
In most games, it's a lot of disappointment with a few great big chunk plays in there to flip a loss to a win.
With Chase out, those big chunk plays are going to be fewer and farther between.

So yes, this is altogether an average team that will likely end up around .500.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Hate to break it to everyone - but not having Chido, Reader, and Chase makes us below average...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 11:16 AM)Whacked Wrote: JB is solid and we are lucky to have him but he is inconsistent IMO

Sorry Homers.

Putting the deficiencies of the offense on Burrow is insane to me. 

I don't think some of you people realize how much of the weight he is carrying.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 11:50 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Hate to break it to everyone - but not having Chido, Reader, and Chase makes us below average...

Not really. That would be assuming most teams have a superstar WR, a true lockdown CB1, and a top 2-3 run stuffer. Plenty don’t.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 10:48 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Honestly, i feel like there are currently only 2 elite teams in the NFL: Buffalo and Kansas City. We could've been up there prior to the injuries on the defense if our offense played up to its potential. But, one of the things that makes the NFL such a great sports league is its parity. 

You forgot Philly. Also low key the Vikings are very good.

The Bengals started 0-2, injuries aren't really an excuse. 23 points is still the most the Steelers have scored in a game all year.

(11-03-2022, 11:28 AM)Garrus Wrote: 1. They are more experienced. Both are at least 5+ years in the league now. This is only Burrows 3rd season.
(11-03-2022, 11:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There seems to be some short memories wrt Allen. He didn’t even breakout until his 3rd season (Burrow did it in his 2nd), and he sure as hell wasn’t what he is now until he got Diggs.

Don't take this as a Burrow bash or anything, but Josh Allen was in his age 24 season in his 3rd year. Joe Burrow entered the NFL in his age 24 season. Josh Allen came from Wyoming and the Mountain West (and wasn't impressive), Joe Burrow came from LSU and SEC (and won the Championship with a record setting season). Josh Allen was the 7th overall pick and the 3rd QB taken, Joe Burrow was the 1st overall pick.

They didn't have the same starting point in the NFL, nor the same starting expecations.

(11-03-2022, 11:39 AM)ochocincos Wrote: So yes, this is altogether an average team that will likely end up around .500.

I'm getting less convinced of that. If they were .500 in the easy part of the schedule, I don't know how they're going to stay .500 when they start playing good teams.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 11:58 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm getting less convinced of that. If they were .500 in the easy part of the schedule, I don't know how they're going to stay .500 when they start playing good teams.

Would it have helped if I would have added "at best" to my statement? lol

I think CAR and PIT are the most likely wins.
I think (or hope) they can get 1-2 more wins between TB and NE.
I'm not hopeful at all against KC, BUF, TEN, BAL, and CLE.

So anywhere between 6 and 8 wins total.
Maybe up to 9 if they can get an unexpected win against those opponents in the last list.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think we have several elite starters (top 5 QB, best WR trio in the NFL, elite NT, elite DE, elite CB1, elite NCB, really good MLB and really good safety duo) and terrible depth.

Our Elite NT has been out since week 3, our elite DE has been dealing with nagging injuries all season, our elite CB1 is out for the year, our elite WR1 is out for 4 to 6 weeks and our elite QB is behind an offensive line with two leaking sieves at OT (both were supposed to be above average players, but that has not been the case and we have no one behind them that could step up).

These injuries paired with our horrible depth has made us an average team.

At full strength, I think we're a top 5 team in the NFL but with just a few injuries, we definitely fall down to the middle of the pack.
Reply/Quote