Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We can't even get a Penei.
(12-27-2020, 06:22 PM)Benton Wrote:  
My biggest complaint this season was we didn't trade more dead weight for draft picks. We could've gotten rid of a handful of guys early in the season and maybe gotten some decent picks in the process.

But we could still be savvy in the draft. I honestly think we're only 4-5 starters away from being very competitive.

Not with the "tackling" they showed today. David Johnson had his first 100 yard game since Week 10, 2018, and only his second 100 yard game since Week 10, 2016.

Unless you're saying 4-5 starters and new coaching. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Offensive tackles are not typical tank material for a reason. You need am elite QB to win in this league but you don't NEED a hall of fame LT. In other words, the drop off from Burrow to Tua was much higher than the drop off from Sewell to Slater.

There are infinitely more quality offensive linemen selected outside of the top 5 than QBs. At some point you need to start winning. I would have liked to get Sewell, but there are still going to be some truly elite options available to us. Maybe we prioritize Oline in free agency and replace Green with Chase at pick 6/7. Or maybe we take Surtain to replace WJ3 which will give us more money to go big in free agency. It maybe we go with the next best OT, like Slater.

We have plenty of options and we will be better next season. I suggest everyone who is upset about this win take a breath. We aren't the Jets and we didn't throw away our golden ticket. We'll be fine.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:41 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This fanbase is just terrible.

If we lose, everyone bitches about how we lost.

If we lose, the entire staff needs to be gone, no road wins, need to win 5 games to even be considered keeping any of them.

So... the team wins.

Now it's we can't win it hurts our draft position.

We won, but we beat teams that didn't care.

We won, but we've done this before at the end of bad seasons.

So, you want to stop losing? The only 100% certain way to stop losing is to... surprise... start winning. The team won 2 in a row without the three biggest offensive weapons. 

Who cares about Penei. Every draft site says the same thing, he is raw. He needs to be coached up to be successful at the NFL level. 

Last I looked, Jim Turner was our OL coach. You can guess, hope, pray and cry that he needs to be gone (and he does) but you have to live in the real world.

Real world, he is still the O-line coach. Real world Mike Brown doesn't care what you think. So until Turner is fired, Sewell is not the right pick for this team. They need to draft an O-lineman who doesn't need to be coached up and is labeled raw.

I'll take the wins, and if they beat Baltimore to finish on a winning streak even better. The guy from Northwestern looks solid, the guys who will be back Bates, Bell, Hubbard, Pratt, Higgins, Gio are all playing really hard. Learning to win, goes a long way.

All this crying and bitching... it's pathetic. Sad we were losing, then sad with how we lost, not can't even enjoy the team starting to look better. Who knows if it carries over to next year but I prefer seeing wins over loses. 

Pretty much.  It's fine to take solace in a loss by saying "Oh well, at least we get a better draft pick.". Actively rooting to lose so you can get a better pick is pretty out there, imo.  Plus, there was never a guarantee Sewell would make it to 3, especially with how bad Fields has looked.  There will be plenty of good prospects that can help this team no matter where we pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can't agree with that part of your statement.  What about the Zac Taylor offense have you seen that justifies using a top 5 pick on a TE?

While I'd rather have Penei Sewell, I would not be upset at all if they added Gregory Rousseau or Patrick Surtain II to the defense.

If you’ve watched Kyle Pitts play as much as I have you wouldn’t ask that question. Zac Taylor’s offense be damned, this guy is one of the best TEs to ever enter the draft. I wouldn’t complain too much about Surtain but you take the best player available and Pitts is a difference maker that would make Burrow smile.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:40 PM)Benton Wrote: Currently 6. Eagles cowboys game could drop us to 7th, I think, considering sos.

Philly is up on Dallas. I think they win and we don't have to worry about them. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:41 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This fanbase is just terrible.

If we lose, everyone bitches about how we lost.

If we lose, the entire staff needs to be gone, no road wins, need to win 5 games to even be considered keeping any of them.

So... the team wins.

Now it's we can't win it hurts our draft position.

We won, but we beat teams that didn't care.

We won, but we've done this before at the end of bad seasons.

So, you want to stop losing? The only 100% certain way to stop losing is to... surprise... start winning. The team won 2 in a row without the three biggest offensive weapons. 

Who cares about Penei. Every draft site says the same thing, he is raw. He needs to be coached up to be successful at the NFL level. 

Last I looked, Jim Turner was our OL coach. You can guess, hope, pray and cry that he needs to be gone (and he does) but you have to live in the real world.

Real world, he is still the O-line coach. Real world Mike Brown doesn't care what you think. So until Turner is fired, Sewell is not the right pick for this team. They need to draft an O-lineman who doesn't need to be coached up and is labeled raw.

I'll take the wins, and if they beat Baltimore to finish on a winning streak even better. The guy from Northwestern looks solid, the guys who will be back Bates, Bell, Hubbard, Pratt, Higgins, Gio are all playing really hard. Learning to win, goes a long way.

All this crying and bitching... it's pathetic. Sad we were losing, then sad with how we lost, not can't even enjoy the team starting to look better. Who knows if it carries over to next year but I prefer seeing wins over loses. 

The way they were trending 2 weeks ago, losing out was their best hope. 

At some point, you need to show signs of improvement and guys playing well and together. They've looked better the last 2 weeks, so the hope is--against all odds--that it's not just another DCB and they can get a few guys, stay healthy and continue to play well next year. 

It doesn't usually work that way for the Bengals, so it's hard to be mad at another scenario where you see fools gold at the end of a lost season. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:41 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Who knows if it carries over to next year but I prefer seeing wins over loses. 

If a couple season ending wins does more to hurt the team next year, than help it...what good is winning?

That's the midset behind losing out. It doesn't make someone less a fan or pathetic, it's someone wanting a result that will possibly lead to imporvement. 

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:58 PM)Whatever Wrote: Pretty much.  It's fine to take solace in a loss by saying "Oh well, at least we get a better draft pick.". Actively rooting to lose so you can get a better pick is pretty out there, imo.  Plus, there was never a guarantee Sewell would make it to 3, especially with how bad Fields has looked.  There will be plenty of good prospects that can help this team no matter where we pick.

I know you have to know that Fields not playing well in the regular season doesn't mean much at all after the combine and how teams look at young, athletic franchise QBs. When you're on the clock, the last thing you're going to worry about is a couple season ending college games. 

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:59 PM)BigRed75 Wrote:
If you’ve watched Kyle Pitts play as much as I have you wouldn’t ask that question. Zac Taylor’s offense be damned, this guy is one of the best TEs to ever enter the draft.
I wouldn’t complain too much about Surtain but you take the best player available and Pitts is a difference maker that would make Burrow smile.

Meh, enough with the fanboy talk.  He's a little light for TE in the pros, and not fast enough to convert to WR.  If we were a team committed to a 2TE base offensive set, then maybe he would be worth taking with that high of a pick.

The Bengals football team doesn't NEED skill position players anywhere close to matching the need they have for fundamental blocking and tackling players.  In my view the hierarchy of needs this year is OL, DL, and CB.  Using a top 5 pick on a skill position player would be wasteful, luxury spending, in my opinion.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Philly is up on Dallas. I think they win and we don't have to worry about them. 

Carolina is having their way with Washington.  Looks like they'll stay above Bengals in win percentage, as well.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:06 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Well we blew that chance at Sewell. The seasons just keeps getting worse for fans. I hate 2020 and this staff.

Winning is better than losing no doubt
Reply/Quote
I am happy to see the back to back wins, but this seriously feels like a fluke. It doesn't enhance any confidence in the team for me. Hope I'm wrong. I don't want this to end up saving the jobs of coaches on the team just to have the same letdown next year.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meh, enough with the fanboy talk.  He's a little light for TE in the pros, and not fast enough to convert to WR.  If we were a team committed to a 2TE base offensive set, then maybe he would be worth taking with that high of a pick.

The Bengals football team doesn't NEED skill position players anywhere close to matching the need they have for fundamental blocking and tackling players.  In my view the hierarchy of needs this year is OL, DL, and CB.  Using a top 5 pick on a skill position player would be wasteful, luxury spending, in my opinion.

Thank you for proving me right.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meh, enough with the fanboy talk.  He's a little light for TE in the pros, and not fast enough to convert to WR.  If we were a team committed to a 2TE base offensive set, then maybe he would be worth taking with that high of a pick.

My thoughts exactly... I think we have plenty of toys.  

Pitts is risky due to his body build. 

I'd go 1st Rousseau and then best OL on the board in the 2nd.  I'd take Surtain if I knew we could keep WJIII 
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:25 PM)QueenCity Wrote: My thoughts exactly... I think we have plenty of toys.  

Pitts is risky due to his body build. 

I'd go 1st Rousseau and then best OL on the board in the 2nd.  I'd take Surtain if I knew we could keep WJIII 

Here's my question. If they still have a healthy Hubbard and Lawson, is Rousseau more of a need than Parsons at LB?

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Here's my question. If they still have a healthy Hubbard and Lawson, is Rousseau more of a need than Parsons at LB?

I'm fine with 1A Parsons or 1B Rousseau as the pick.   

Pending we don't keep winning lol
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Here's my question. If they still have a healthy Hubbard and Lawson, is Rousseau more of a need than Parsons at LB?

I would think that how free agency goes will determine if it's Lawson or WJ3 who is kept.  I feel strongly that ONE of them will be retained with a healthy contract, the other will be off to market.  Whichever one leaves will likely also determine which way the Bengals go in the draft.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Need is a tricky question.

Defensive and Offensive line as equal as it gets... Sam Hubbard is a solid strong side end but the Bengals need a game changing defensive lineman. Hubbard was at his best as a rusher inside next to Dunlap in 2019 that's where I would project him in 2021.

Its who is the top of the Big Board trenches wise for the Bengals at this point.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:34 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I'm fine with 1A Parsons or 1B Rousseau as the pick.   

Pending we don't keep winning lol

Ravens fighting for a playoff spot next week. I'd be super shocked--probably the shockest ever--if they won next week. 

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:25 PM)BigRed75 Wrote: Thank you for proving me right.

How did I prove you "right"?

The last two times that the Bengals spent 1st round picks on TEs, neither one panned out to perennial All Pro level careers.  Gresham always had drop and false start issues, Eifert spent more time on IR and only produced one "special" season.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote