Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We can't even get a Penei.
(12-27-2020, 07:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would think that how free agency goes will determine if it's Lawson or WJ3 who is kept.  I feel strongly that ONE of them will be retained with a healthy contract, the other will be off to market.  Whichever one leaves will likely also determine which way the Bengals go in the draft.

I'd tend to agree. But i can see a scenario where, through releasing a couple key vets, they're able to retain Lawson and WJ3. That's what's going to make it interesting, who re-signs and who's available. We all have guys that we think needs to go, going to be interesting to see who the Bengals think needs to go. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:41 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd tend to agree. But i can see a scenario where, through releasing a couple key vets, they're able to retain Lawson and WJ3. That's what's going to make it interesting, who re-signs and who's available. We all have guys that we think needs to go, going to be interesting to see who the Bengals think needs to go. 

Personally, I don't feel like WJ3 has ever completely lived up to 1st round draft pick status, while I feel that when not injured, Carl Lawson has been very impressive given his 3rd round draft status.  On a pure talent at respective position point of view, I'd lean toward making a greater effort to retain Lawson, and make a respectable, yet not over the top offer to Jackson.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If a couple season ending wins does more to hurt the team next year, than help it...what good is winning?

That's the midset behind losing out. It doesn't make someone less a fan or pathetic, it's someone wanting a result that will possibly lead to imporvement. 

Because in those "meaningless" wins guys like Bates, Boyd, Higgins, Pratt, etc... these guys are progressing and playing with more confidence that is what winning does. It helps the team... helps the players.

Drafting #3 means nothing when you watch Bates, Lawson and others leave town tired of losing and have to keep replacing them. Players want to win. It's simple. So these wins meaningless to you might show a light at the end of the tunnel that gets Lawson to consider staying. 

That is more important than 3rd pick.

Plus the Jets are most likely going to keep Darnold and go Sewell, so wins don't hurt.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:35 PM)Synric Wrote: Need is a tricky question.

Defensive and Offensive line as equal as it gets... Sam Hubbard is a solid strong side end but the Bengals need a game changing defensive lineman. Hubbard was at his best as a rusher inside next to Dunlap in 2019 that's where I would project him in 2021.

Its who is the top of the Big Board trenches wise for the Bengals at this point.

I'm 100% on board with the trenches. I see that as a by-the-book plan, and a good one. Here is where my question lies. How often do you have a Rousseau, Hubbard, Lawson line in there opposed to Parsons being in every down?

Maybe i'm overthinking it? Maybe i'm assuming that Hubbard/Lawson will get enough pressure to allow a pick like Parsons. He's shown an ability to get pressure up the middle but how much do you want him rushing the passer? Penn St sent him a lot. 

I'm kind of thinking that if we're going to lose out on a "generational talent" in Sewell, i'd rather get another one at another position and Parsons fits that mold (projected), while Rousseau falls a bit short of it. 

Hopefully, that wasn't too many questions. lol

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I'm starting to like taking Chase.

That would be nice with Boyd, Higgins, Chase as our starting corps of WRs.

Go out and get a TE in free agency and keep throwing to RBs too.

Letting go of AJ, Atkins, and other expensive vets will give them some leverage for OL free agents.

Go pass rush heavy in draft.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Personally, I don't feel like WJ3 has ever completely lived up to 1st round draft pick status, while I feel that when not injured, Carl Lawson has been very impressive given his 3rd round draft status.  On a pure talent at respective position point of view, I'd lean toward making a greater effort to retain Lawson, and make a respectable, yet not over the top offer to Jackson.

Agreed. I'd go Lawson over WJ3 every day.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:48 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Because in those "meaningless" wins guys like Bates, Boyd, Higgins, Pratt, etc... these guys are progressing and playing with more confidence that is what winning does. It helps the team... helps the players.

Drafting #3 means nothing when you watch Bates, Lawson and others leave town tired of losing and have to keep replacing them. Players want to win. It's simple. So these wins meaningless to you might show a light at the end of the tunnel that gets Lawson to consider staying. 

That is more important than 3rd pick.

Plus the Jets are most likely going to keep Darnold and go Sewell, so wins don't hurt.

I can't really argue that logic. I'll just say that i trust the players are mentally stronger than allowing a, or a couple, losing seasons, to burn them out on being a Bengal. Especially, if it nets you better players with a better chance of winning in a year or two.

I commented before on them needing to show some improvement and cohesion at some point, so we agree there. 

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I know you have to know that Fields not playing well in the regular season doesn't mean much at all after the combine and how teams look at young, athletic franchise QBs. When you're on the clock, the last thing you're going to worry about is a couple season ending college games. 

I said the exact same thing in the draft forum.  Fields is far from finished in terms of getting drafted second overall.  There's so much that happens in the draft process long after games are played that you can just never tell.  

As for Sewell, while I would have loved to have him, as many have said there's a lot of OT and general OL talent in this draft.  If we took Slater at 6 or 7, then fine.  He could be anything on the OL which is great because we need help at just about every position.  

Ideally, it's time to draft defensive help in the first anyway.  I'm not a massive Surtain fan, but a pass rusher would be great.  Would love to get Jackson Carman in 2 as well.  
Reply/Quote
Were looking at a 6th or 5th pick. The best thing that could happen for us is somebody trades up for a QB.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
With the performances of the jets they may decide against a a qb and go for sewell anyway. At least it hopefully has made the decision that we go both tackle and guard in FA.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm 100% on board with the trenches. I see that as a by-the-book plan, and a good one. Here is where my question lies. How often do you have a Rousseau, Hubbard, Lawson line in there opposed to Parsons being in every down?

Maybe i'm overthinking it? Maybe i'm assuming that Hubbard/Lawson will get enough pressure to allow a pick like Parsons. He's shown an ability to get pressure up the middle but how much do you want him rushing the passer? Penn St sent him a lot. 

I'm kind of thinking that if we're going to lose out on a "generational talent" in Sewell, i'd rather get another one at another position and Parsons fits that mold (projected), while Rousseau falls a bit short of it. 

Hopefully, that wasn't too many questions. lol

The thing with Rousseau is where do you play him?  When you look at his sack reel, the majority of his sacks actually came with him lined up over a G or the C, not from the edge.  Of the sacks he did manage from the edge, he was often the 2nd or 3rd guy in on the QB.  Some have said he may need to bulk up even more and move to 3 or 5 tech, which puts him squarely in project player status.  
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:17 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: There is no guarantee that Sewell will even be a success in the NFL. He could get in a car crash or break his leg snowmobiling before the draft.

He’s a Samoan, not an Eskimo lol

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meh, enough with the fanboy talk.  He's a little light for TE in the pros, and not fast enough to convert to WR.  If we were a team committed to a 2TE base offensive set, then maybe he would be worth taking with that high of a pick.

The Bengals football team doesn't NEED skill position players anywhere close to matching the need they have for fundamental blocking and tackling players.  In my view the hierarchy of needs this year is OL, DL, and CB.  Using a top 5 pick on a skill position player would be wasteful, luxury spending, in my opinion.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/floridas-kyle-pitts-is-an-nfl-tight-end-in-a-college-uniform/

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I know you have to know that Fields not playing well in the regular season doesn't mean much at all after the combine and how teams look at young, athletic franchise QBs. When you're on the clock, the last thing you're going to worry about is a couple season ending college games. 

Thing is, the Jets have a young QB in Darnold  that they may decide to stick with if their QB2 doesn't knock their socks off.  Fields also didn't play very well against Clemson last year, so teams are going to start looking at him as a guy that crumbles in high pressure games if he doesn't have a good playoff.  Plus Haskins struggling may have people thinking he's a system QB made by the talent around him.

Of course, it may all be moot with Zach Wilson rising, anyways.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 09:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/floridas-kyle-pitts-is-an-nfl-tight-end-in-a-college-uniform/

My question is this with even reading the article... Is Pitts being used like an actual TE or is he a WR?

Heres some highlights looks like on a lot of his big plays he lining up outside...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf0L7tkC5GI&ab_channel=RSHighlights

I do like the Darren Waller comparison someone made in the video

If you used Pitts like a WR just pick Chase right? Or are we happy with WR class of Boyd, Higgins, Free Agent?
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How did I prove you "right"?

The last two times that the Bengals spent 1st round picks on TEs, neither one panned out to perennial All Pro level careers.  Gresham always had drop and false start issues, Eifert spent more time on IR and only produced one "special" season.

Perennial All Pro is a pretty high bar. We’ve only had one in the last decade, and that is Geno.

Gresham and Eifert were both really good players though. It’s no coincidence that when the Bengals have a good TE, the offense and team in general is usually successful. You give Burrow a TE that can catch double digit TD’s that’s going to help you win a lot of games (like 2015).

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:41 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This fanbase is just terrible.

If we lose, everyone bitches about how we lost.

If we lose, the entire staff needs to be gone, no road wins, need to win 5 games to even be considered keeping any of them.

So... the team wins.

Now it's we can't win it hurts our draft position.

We won, but we beat teams that didn't care.

We won, but we've done this before at the end of bad seasons.

So, you want to stop losing? The only 100% certain way to stop losing is to... surprise... start winning. The team won 2 in a row without the three biggest offensive weapons. 

Who cares about Penei. Every draft site says the same thing, he is raw. He needs to be coached up to be successful at the NFL level. 

Last I looked, Jim Turner was our OL coach. You can guess, hope, pray and cry that he needs to be gone (and he does) but you have to live in the real world.

Real world, he is still the O-line coach. Real world Mike Brown doesn't care what you think. So until Turner is fired, Sewell is not the right pick for this team. They need to draft an O-lineman who doesn't need to be coached up and is labeled raw.

I'll take the wins, and if they beat Baltimore to finish on a winning streak even better. The guy from Northwestern looks solid, the guys who will be back Bates, Bell, Hubbard, Pratt, Higgins, Gio are all playing really hard. Learning to win, goes a long way.

All this crying and bitching... it's pathetic. Sad we were losing, then sad with how we lost, not can't even enjoy the team starting to look better. Who knows if it carries over to next year but I prefer seeing wins over loses. 
Follow my posts and you will know that after it was obvious we were having a loosing season myself and a lot of other people have been looking draft. I have not bitched once about a losing since we have been out of contention. Dont try to call me out for being wishy washy if you dont have your facts straight. And yes this staff still needs to be gone and yes we need the highest draft pick possible to help turn this around. It not only gives us a higher pick in round 1 but in all thew rounds.  
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 09:13 PM)QueenCity Wrote: My question is this with even reading the article... Is Pitts being used like an actual TE or is he a WR?

Heres some highlights looks like on a lot of his big plays he lining up outside...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf0L7tkC5GI&ab_channel=RSHighlights

I do like the Darren Waller comparison someone made in the video

If you’re worried he could become a Chase Coffman, he ain’t that...

Reply/Quote
I'd be more inclined to pick Chase over Pitts if we went offense. Mostly due to the chemistry with Burrow. Although I can see how a dynamic TE would open up the offense for Burrow esp if we aren't going to fix the O-Line

Although I know its early but I'd go Parsons with my personal pick. I really like the idea of a franchise LB.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Bengals fans: Pissed when we lose.

Bengals fans: Pissed when we win.
Bengals fans: Pissed when we tie.

Bengals fans: [Image: tenor.gif]

Bengals coaches: [Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote