Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We can't even get a Penei.
The biggest need is now defensive line. Let’s go for that...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 09:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The biggest need is now defensive line. Let’s go for that...

Depends what happens with WJ3. He walks, then CB probably becomes the biggest need. He’s never quite lived up to his first season (or 1st round pick), but it’s night and day difference when he’s not out there. Saw it today.

He re-signs then yes pass rusher is by far the biggest need. Assuming we bring in some help on the OL in FA. Hopefully a top end OG or two.

Reply/Quote
Really?

These kids have to learn how to close games out and win. Well they did just that now two weeks running and on Monday night. I am not as gaga about Sewell as some here and in fact would be unsurprised if he fell down the boards especially if he is out of shape at the combine or does not work out after skipping the season.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 09:45 PM)Joelist Wrote: Really?

These kids have to learn how to close games out and win. Well they did just that now two weeks running and on Monday night. I am not as gaga about Sewell as some here and in fact would be unsurprised if he fell down the boards especially if he is out of shape at the combine or does not work out after skipping the season.

I like this post a lot. We have to get out of the “IF we draft THE guy THIS year” mentality. This applies to Penei Sewell and it should have applied to Joe Burrow last year. I’m not saying we shouldn’t have drafted Burrow but there was too much placed on his shoulders and that was wrong. The Bengals only won 2 1/2 games with Burrow and that’s not his fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 10:22 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I like this post a lot. We have to get out of the “IF we draft THE guy THIS year” mentality. This applies to Penei Sewell and it should have applied to Joe Burrow last year. I’m not saying we shouldn’t have drafted Burrow but there was too much placed on his shoulders and that was wrong. The Bengals only won 2 1/2 games with Burrow and that’s not his fault.

No player is fixing a bad team as a rookie. Not Burrow, not Young, not Herbert. Nobody. You don’t draft players for what they will be year one.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 09:11 PM)Whatever Wrote: Thing is, the Jets have a young QB in Darnold  that they may decide to stick with if their QB2 doesn't knock their socks off.  Fields also didn't play very well against Clemson last year, so teams are going to start looking at him as a guy that crumbles in high pressure games if he doesn't have a good playoff.  Plus Haskins struggling may have people thinking he's a system QB made by the talent around him.

Of course, it may all be moot with Zach Wilson rising, anyways.

Yeah. I don't see the Jets taking a QB. I can see them taking Sewell now. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I dunno guys. Seems like TDN has Jets taking Chase at 2 and Sewell falling to us at 6.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 11:02 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I dunno guys. Seems like TDN has Jets taking Chase at 2 and Sewell falling to us at 6.

I could see the Jets passing on Sewell since they have Becton, but falling all the way to 6? I highly doubt it.

Reply/Quote
AMAzing we complain when our team wins
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 11:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I could see the Jets passing on Sewell since they have Becton, but falling all the way to 6? I highly doubt it.

Every time I draft it’s happened. They have a pair of tackles that are pretty good. He may not go 2nd at least
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:41 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This fanbase is just terrible.

If we lose, everyone bitches about how we lost.

If we lose, the entire staff needs to be gone, no road wins, need to win 5 games to even be considered keeping any of them.

So... the team wins.

Now it's we can't win it hurts our draft position.

We won, but we beat teams that didn't care.

We won, but we've done this before at the end of bad seasons.

So, you want to stop losing? The only 100% certain way to stop losing is to... surprise... start winning. The team won 2 in a row without the three biggest offensive weapons. 

Who cares about Penei. Every draft site says the same thing, he is raw. He needs to be coached up to be successful at the NFL level. 

Last I looked, Jim Turner was our OL coach. You can guess, hope, pray and cry that he needs to be gone (and he does) but you have to live in the real world.

Real world, he is still the O-line coach. Real world Mike Brown doesn't care what you think. So until Turner is fired, Sewell is not the right pick for this team. They need to draft an O-lineman who doesn't need to be coached up and is labeled raw.

I'll take the wins, and if they beat Baltimore to finish on a winning streak even better. The guy from Northwestern looks solid, the guys who will be back Bates, Bell, Hubbard, Pratt, Higgins, Gio are all playing really hard. Learning to win, goes a long way.

All this crying and bitching... it's pathetic. Sad we were losing, then sad with how we lost, not can't even enjoy the team starting to look better. Who knows if it carries over to next year but I prefer seeing wins over loses. 
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:41 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This fanbase is just terrible.

If we lose, everyone bitches about how we lost.

If we lose, the entire staff needs to be gone, no road wins, need to win 5 games to even be considered keeping any of them.

So... the team wins.

Now it's we can't win it hurts our draft position.

We won, but we beat teams that didn't care.

We won, but we've done this before at the end of bad seasons.

So, you want to stop losing? The only 100% certain way to stop losing is to... surprise... start winning. The team won 2 in a row without the three biggest offensive weapons. 

Who cares about Penei. Every draft site says the same thing, he is raw. He needs to be coached up to be successful at the NFL level. 

Last I looked, Jim Turner was our OL coach. You can guess, hope, pray and cry that he needs to be gone (and he does) but you have to live in the real world.

Real world, he is still the O-line coach. Real world Mike Brown doesn't care what you think. So until Turner is fired, Sewell is not the right pick for this team. They need to draft an O-lineman who doesn't need to be coached up and is labeled raw.

I'll take the wins, and if they beat Baltimore to finish on a winning streak even better. The guy from Northwestern looks solid, the guys who will be back Bates, Bell, Hubbard, Pratt, Higgins, Gio are all playing really hard. Learning to win, goes a long way.

All this crying and bitching... it's pathetic. Sad we were losing, then sad with how we lost, not can't even enjoy the team starting to look better. Who knows if it carries over to next year but I prefer seeing wins over loses. 
Preach brother....I thought it would be cool if we got Sewell but ultimately I'm a Bengals fan and I hate watching them lose. I always want to win no matter what. I hate the Steelers and the Texans always seem to beat us so F%#& them too. I've watched enough losses over the last 30 years. I think this Pittsburgh win could hopefully be a turning point for this team. They need to believe they can beat them and go out there and do it. A few more FAs, a couple draft picks, and some healthy guys returning, all while resigning Lawson and WJIII and we are competing for this division. As Joey B would say......winning is fun.
Reply/Quote
Slaughter and Darrisaw is just as good.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
My dream pick if the Bengals don't Sewell would be Kyle Pitts because I think he's the best TE prospect to come out in a long time, but I doubt the Bengals go after a TE that high. The TE is not a featured member of Zac Taylor's offense when it comes to catching passes.
From defensive side, Parsons is my dream pick. I've always wanted the Bengals to have an elite LB, and the only one who came close to that in the past decade has been Burfict.

I would actually expect CB unless WJ3 is re-signed. Heck, the Bengals might actually go CB even with WJ3 as a way to get out from Waynes' contract in 2022. If the Bengals don't go defense, I'd expect JaMarr Chase.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 06:02 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Slaughter and Darrisaw is just as good.

While both are very good, are they worth taking 5th overall? Many would say that's kind of a reach, but many would also say neither will probably be there at 37. And obviously, you can't guarantee a trade back, so the Bengals may have to resort to picking someone at 5.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I get the emotional reaction of being upset the Bengals have a won a couple late season games in which they aren't going to the playoffs. It is "so the Bungles" to lose out on an elite OL prospect. This is especially a downer considering we watched Burrow go out with the knee injury.

I'll also add that we should logically temper our disappointment. A lot of fans & forum posters only wanted Sewell because the internet mock drafts told us we should take him. If such mocks didn't exist, most of us wouldn't even be discussing the draft falling from pick 3 to picks 5 to 9 as an issue.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 10:55 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. I don't see the Jets taking a QB. I can see them taking Sewell now. 

What QB would they get then? Or do you think they stick it out with Darnold one more year?
I do think that Darnold has underwhelmed, but I also think he has not had receiving talent.
Their top two receivers right now are Jamison Crowder and Breshad Perriman.
They should have never let Robby Anderson leave.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 11:41 AM)ochocincos Wrote: While both are very good, are they worth taking 5th overall? Many would say that's kind of a reach, but many would also say neither will probably be there at 37. And obviously, you can't guarantee a trade back, so the Bengals may have to resort to picking someone at 5.

If they don’t plan on taking one of the really high end guys at 5 (Chase, Pitts, Parsons) they should try their hardest to move back. I’d have mixed feelings about that though. We need a ton of help, but I’d also love to add an elite top 10 player, who’s the consensus best at their position.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What QB would they get then? Or do you think they stick it out with Darnold one more year?
I do think that Darnold has underwhelmed, but I also think he has not had receiving talent.
Their top two receivers right now are Jamison Crowder and Breshad Perriman.
They should have never let Robby Anderson leave.

Not only has he had no receivers, he’s been stuck with Adam Gase. Darnold may very well turn out to be a bust, be his HC has held young QB’s back before.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If they don’t plan on taking one of the really high end guys at 5 (Chase, Pitts, Parsons) they should try their hardest to move back. I’d have mixed feelings about that though. We need a ton of help, but I’d also love to add an elite top 10 player, who’s the consensus best at their position.

There is good and bad with trading back.  One bad is that it could increase the chance that another team could now trade in front of you..sort of like what Pittsburgh did to us recently.  
Reply/Quote