Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We need 2 new Tackles and a Guard
(11-12-2018, 07:51 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: How is safety an issue? Bates is great and Williams is solid
Bates is not great and Williams is just plain bad. Neither can open field tackle. 
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 09:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Glenn is expensive, but relatively cheap by starting LT standards.  Just like yourself, I'd love to see him down the road.  However, he's serviceable enough to man the position, while a top draft pick were to be groomed.  That is why I suggested keeping him as the Swing Tackle.  

On Bobby Hart?  Yeah, he's cheap.  And for good reason.  The Bengals would have been much better off just giving Andre Smith a two year deal, similar to what AZ gave him, and he could have retired a Bengal.  When healthy, he's still pretty good at moving that man in front of him, and getting downfield to run interference.

To think the Bengals plan to address RT was basically letting Ced who was terrible, Fisher who had like heart surgery and wasn't good, and then they signed a guy that was a late round pick waived for poor play by the Giants compete for the starting spot...is just crazy, isn't it?

I would have loved to have Smith back.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 09:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: To think the Bengals plan to address RT was basically letting Ced who was terrible, Fisher who had like heart surgery and wasn't good, and then they signed a guy that was a late round pick waived for poor play by the Giants compete for the starting spot...is just crazy, isn't it?

I would have loved to have Smith back.

Yeah, I didn't understand the move of letting Andre go and bringing in Bobby Hart.  I mean, I get roster savings and such, but Andre is pretty cheap for all of the experience and talent that he still has.  Only thing that I can think of is that maybe he expressed a desire to leave the team, and try his chances elsewhere.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Our highest ranked offensive lineman is now ranked 62.9. That's Boling. His play has fallen off of a cliff.

If you added our starting 5's rankings up last year and added this years up...there is a good chance that last years were higher overall.
Reply/Quote
We need a stud tackle and a stud LB ready to play game 1. That means they have to hit it out of the park round 1 and round 2. Don’t know which round you pick which, but you can’t miss. 2015 just killed the Bengals. If Paul Alexander were an attorney he’d be disbarred.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 10:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I didn't understand the move of letting Andre go and bringing in Bobby Hart.  I mean, I get roster savings and such, but Andre is pretty cheap for all of the experience and talent that he still has.  Only thing that I can think of is that maybe he expressed a desire to leave the team, and try his chances elsewhere.

Smith was labeled a bust for draft status level.

He actually averaged over seasons here as an above average RT.

Posters here and on the old mother-ship sure trashed on him a lot during that time period.

Boy what people wouldn't give for an above average RT these days in Bengal-land!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 10:08 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Smith was labeled a bust for draft status level.

He actually averaged over seasons here as an above average RT.

Posters here and on the old mother-ship sure trashed on him a lot during that time period.

Boy what people wouldn't give for an above average RT these days in Bengal-land!

For all of his faults, Andre Smith is still very good at moving the man in front of him and getting downfield to cause interference.  People had strange expectations of him, because he played LT in college, for 'Bama that ran 85% of the time while he was there.  Yes, he had the injuries and such, but when he was healthy, he did his job well.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 09:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Glenn is not fine. He grades out basically the same as Bobby Hart.

And of the 2, I'd rather having the one making the league min than the one making $12 million a year.

He has had one or two bad games this year but he has been good outside of those games.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 09:34 PM)2slick Wrote: Bates is not great and Williams is just plain bad. Neither can open field tackle. 

Batse is an upcoming superstar and Williams is a solid player. Stop making shit up.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 10:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For all of his faults, Andre Smith is still very good at moving the man in front of him and getting downfield to cause interference.  People had strange expectations of him, because he played LT in college, for 'Bama that ran 85% of the time while he was there.  Yes, he had the injuries and such, but when he was healthy, he did his job well.

Exactly.  It was kind of a strange obsession I thought.

He's actually one of the few producing O-Linemen the modern day Bengals had drafted.

It wasn't until later injuries would he have been considered a backup type player.

I think consensus now would be most of the guys we've been trotting out would be bench players or even on the street if they weren't on the Bengals roster.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:52 PM)bengaloo Wrote: We had a true leader on the OL. An All Pro caliber guy on and off the field. I miss Whit like most of us do. Horrible decision to let him go.

The Bengals let Whit go because they assumed his age would catch up with him and thought they could groom his heir into a good LT. They were wrong on both counts. You don’t let an All-Pro go regardless of age as long as he’s still producing well and the backup isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 10:21 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Exactly.  It was kind of a strange obsession I thought.

He's actually one of the few producing O-Linemen the modern day Bengals had drafted.

It wasn't until later injuries would he have been considered a backup type player.

I think consensus now would be most of the guys we've been trotting out would be bench players or even on the street if they weren't on the Bengals roster.

The animosity toward Andre comes from the stress fracture in his foot, after being selected with the 6th overall pick.  Some of the fanbase just never could bring themselves to "forgive" him for being a large human being. (nevermind the fact that it takes a large human to move large humans..)  By many accounts by the folks that track these sort of things, Andre could be considered a "mild" bust.  However, he did have a few years where he was pretty dominate.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This team probably needs to trade away one of our big ass studs, Geno or Los for #1 picks. I'd hate doing it ,but we really need those top picks for our offensive line because we can't keep bringing in late round or CFA offensive linemen to compete with the high octane offenses out there. Having multiple #1 picks could pay off, but god damn it we SUCK at #1 picks! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Can we give it a year before we tear it down?

Cordy Glenn is coming back from an injury plagued year and is in a new scheme.

I think Hart has been surprisingly competent. NYG discarded him and he's probably playing better than any Olineman they currently have.

RG is a need. Perhaps look at the Ford kid out of OU.

Now as far as what we need: How about those LBs?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 11:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Can we give it a year before we tear it down?

Cordy Glenn is coming back from an injury plagued year and is in a new scheme.

I think Hart has been surprisingly competent. NYG discarded him and he's probably playing better than any Olineman they currently have.

RG is a need. Perhaps look at the Ford kid out of OU.

Now as far as what we need: How about those LBs?

We did that last year and it took us to this year.

We can just keep kicking the can down the road and being mediocre.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 12:18 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We did that last year and it took us to this year.

We can just keep kicking the can down the road and being mediocre.

You're correct. We torn the oline down after last year and it took us to this year.

We just can't keep tearing it down and being mediocre. 

Let's see where we go when we have all 5 starters playing. 

Reply/Quote
A few facts on this Oline we need to replace 3 players on:

Andy Dalton is 17th in the NFL in sacks

Only 7 QB have more attempts and fewer sacks than Andy

Joe Mixon is #6 in the NFL in YPG

Only 1 RB (Gurley) has more attempts per game and a higher YPC than Mixon

All this with 4 new starters on the oline, a new Oline coach, and our #1 C out for the majority of the season.

We "need" other things than replacing 3 members of this oline.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 12:58 AM)bfine32 Wrote: A few facts on this Oline we need to replace 3 players on:

All this with 4 new starters on the oline, a new Oline coach, and our #1 C out for the majority of the season.

Dalton is that low on sacks because of his quick release and our offensive scheme is built around the weak OL. We aren't throwing the ball down the field nearly as much as past years because of it.

Mixon has that YPA because hes a really good RB. There were a lot of times he should have been tackled for a loss because of the line but broke out a nice run.

If we got an average OL the offense would be a ton better.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 12:58 AM)bfine32 Wrote: A few facts on this Oline we need to replace 3 players on:

I think we did a good job of upgrading the OL from garbage to average this off-season.  That said, it is still only an average unit and can stand a couple of upgrades.  
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:04 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Dalton is that low on sacks because of his quick release and our offensive scheme is built around the weak OL. We aren't throwing the ball down the field nearly as much as past years because of it.

Mixon has that YPA because hes a really good RB. There were a lot of times he should have been tackled for a loss because of the line but broke out a nice run.

If we got an average OL the offense would be a ton better.

Stop it with the same tired quick release BS. 12 QBs in the NFL have a time to throw as quick or quicker than Andy and that difference And the difference of .4 seconds between him and the longest time to throw in the NFL means nothing. Don't believe me: count to .4

Was Mixon a good RB last year or did that just start this year?

If we had an average oline it'd be worse than what we currently have, 

Reply/Quote