Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
We're playing Brandon Allen
(10-27-2023, 10:18 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Chicago did do that didn't they? 

I still think the use of "starter" and "backup: are being used in a stoopid way. We can look at Andy's career and acheivements, in aggeregate, and identify him as a backup at best.

Trevor Simean--the guy that couldn't beat out a no name QB for the Bengals' backup spot--torched us in 2016 for 312 yards and 4 touchdowns. Yet he wasn't mentioned either, probably because "well, he was the 'starter at the time hurr'.

Stop. His career in retrospect screams backup, and that's if we're being generous. 

Andy was a really good starting quarterback.... not to be misunderstood as elite.  
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2023, 01:43 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Andy was a really good starting quarterback.... not to be misunderstood as elite.  

He put up good stats when he had a great offensive line and great weapons to throw to. Since leaving Cincinnatti, he found only one gig as a starter in Chicago, but couldn't get it back after coming back from injury.

If he's a really good starting QB, then how come more teams relegated him to a backup role? Since leaving Cincinnatti, he was benched in favor of:

Dak Prescott.
Jameis Winston.
Bryce Young.
Justin Fields.

Say what you want about these 4. But a "really good starting QB" should be able to show coaches that he's better than at least 3 of these.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 05:20 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Correction, we're playing Sam Darnold.

no we are not,their starting qb is practicing and he will play,the niners know how important this game is and they are not going to lose 3 in a row,not at home,we will get killed>this is a super bowl team and we will not win out there,I wish I was wrong,not feeling it.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2023, 01:54 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: He put up good stats when he had a great offensive line and great weapons to throw to. Since leaving Cincinnatti, he found only one gig as a starter in Chicago, but couldn't get it back after coming back from injury.

If he's a really good starting QB, then how come more teams relegated him to a backup role? Since leaving Cincinnatti, he was benched in favor of:

Dak Prescott.
Jameis Winston.
Bryce Young.
Justin Fields.

Say what you want about these 4. But a "really good starting QB" should be able to show coaches that he's better than at least 3 of these.

he left cincy after years of being a good starting qb.  I'm not sure we're saying different things.  
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2023, 02:50 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: no we are not,their starting qb is practicing and he will play,the niners know how important this game is and they are not going to lose 3 in a row,not at home,we will get killed>this is a super bowl team and we will not win out there,I wish I was wrong,not feeling it.

Yep, getting killed whether it’s Purdy or Darnold. 
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2023, 01:42 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: is it, like, literally one of your pet peeves?   Ninja

Yes, in the literal sense.
Reply/Quote
If Purdy is in concussion protocol whether he practices is irrelevant - he has to be released by doctors.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 10:18 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Andy was the starter in chicago before he got hurt

If I recall that Chicago game, Fields was a rookie and Dalton was playing for that handful of games before they just say "Ok, we can't keep just let him learn on the bench, play him."  Dalton was one of those "starters with a shelf life of 4 games" when he was the "starter" for the Bears.  Plus, he got knocked out and Fields had to come in off the bench anyways, right?

I'd argue we lost to two backups that day, more than we lost to 0.

It is interesting to think about what defines a starting QB in the NFL.  In the Dalton in Chicago case, I'd say he was a pseudo starter in the sense that he was keeping the seat warm for a rookie QB.  I say this because the Bears got Dalton after he spent the year as a backup in Dallas and they drafted Fields that year, too.

Getting another teams backup QB to start for a few games until your crappy franchise plays the new guy out of desperation isn't what I'd call a full-fledged starter.  Dalton's been on the backup circuit since he left Cincy, he just got the placeholder gig for a cup of coffee in the crappiest QB city ever.  Not much of an honor.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2023, 05:14 PM)Joelist Wrote: If Purdy is in concussion protocol whether he practices is irrelevant - he has to be released by doctors.

He was listed as a full go today at practice.  They are expecting him to clear protocol tomorrow and start on Sunday

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2023, 07:03 PM)pally Wrote: He was listed as a full go today at practice.  They are expecting him to clear protocol tomorrow and start on Sunday

Darnold is hardly even getting any reps. Sounds like they certainly expect Purdy to start:

"That has allowed Purdy to participate in practice on a limited basis Thursday and then be full go in Friday's session. Officially, Purdy is listed as questionable for Sunday, but he will attempt to pass the final step of the protocol on Saturday. If he clears that, he will start, according to coach Kyle Shanahan."

"Sam Darnold, who would start if Purdy is unable to clear the protocol's final hurdle, said he got "a couple reps" with the starters this week, but that Purdy seemed to be recovering well as he took most of the work."

49ers' Brock Purdy could clear concussion protocol Sat., play Sun. - ESPN
Reply/Quote
Purdy is a huge upgrade over Darnold for sure. But at the same time he’s coming off a concussion and has looked very beatable these past few weeks. With Trent Williams (maybe) and Deebo still out their offense has some weak spots to exploit. But if we don’t neutralize CMC it won’t matter.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2023, 09:11 PM)chrisball96 Wrote: Purdy is a huge upgrade over Darnold for sure. But at the same time he’s coming off a concussion and has looked very beatable these past few weeks. With Trent Williams (maybe) and Deebo still out their offense has some weak spots to exploit. But if we don’t neutralize CMC it won’t matter.

Although when Purdy really looked bad was after the concussion was believed to occur, when he threw two interceptions and I believe completed only two passes. 

I am sure Purdy will get extra protection from the refs on any hard hits. Which I understand. I just hope that Burrow is accorded the same treatment.
Reply/Quote
I can't think of a player who's been in the concussion protocol this season and hasn't missed the following game.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2023, 09:11 PM)chrisball96 Wrote: Purdy is a huge upgrade over Darnold for sure. But at the same time he’s coming off a concussion and has looked very beatable these past few weeks. With Trent Williams (maybe) and Deebo still out their offense has some weak spots to exploit. But if we don’t neutralize CMC it won’t matter.

With our issues defending the other teams TE, i'd be worried about Kittle too.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2023, 10:08 PM)jason Wrote: I can't think of a player who's been in the concussion protocol this season and hasn't missed the following game.

Yeah, this has potential disaster written all over it. Hope we don’t see another Tua incident where the kid is literally laying there throwing up gang signs after getting hit.

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2023, 11:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, this has potential disaster written all over it. Hope we don’t see another Tua incident where the kid is literally laying there throwing up gang signs after getting hit.

Wouldn’t have realized you were serious without adding literally. Literally isn’t fitting, since he wasn’t throwing up gang signs. It’s the fencing posture.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2023, 11:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, this has potential disaster written all over it. Hope we don’t see another Tua incident where the kid is literally laying there throwing up gang signs after getting hit.

I don't think the NFL will allow it. I didn't even think of the Tua thing til now, but it seems the protocol is you get a concussion, you sit the following game.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Brock Purdy has cleared concussion protocol and will start on Sunday

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2023, 09:49 AM)jason Wrote: I don't think the NFL will allow it. I didn't even think of the Tua thing til now, but it seems the protocol is you get a concussion, you sit the following game.

Guess not. He’s playing. Wouldn’t matter if he wasn’t. This will be a loss either way. 
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2023, 10:08 PM)jason Wrote: I can't think of a player who's been in the concussion protocol this season and hasn't missed the following game.

I heard on the radio it had been maybe 2021 and it was Kenny Pickett who did.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote