Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We're still not in good shape at LB. Any ideas?
(04-28-2019, 05:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Bostic was definitely above average there last year. For $2 million a year, it's a no brainer to sign him. He's capable of starting, but he'd also be a great 4th backer.

He'd probably start for us, but if we sign anyone else, he'd make a great 4th guy. Totally agree.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Depth is a big concern for me at LB. Jefferson is the key to how this unit will do. Also might see Williams become a Nickle dime LB. Pratt will be a good one though.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I thought Rey was a free agent?

Yep. UFA.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's somewhat disappointing.

It's really not Pratt is very good. He can cover and is a sure tackler but he is not a safety playing linebacker...he is a Linebacker.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well, you're just not going to fill 3-4-5 needs in a draft and we had several on the team. OL was huge and Williams was a great pick.

Right now, I guess our starters would be Preston Brown, Vigil, and Jordan Evans or Pratt.

Evans really struggled last year and he struggled particularly in coverage. Brown looked slow and bad in coverage last year. He's more of a run thumper. Granted he led the league in Tackles 2 years ago, so maybe the injuries were his issue. Vigil looked like he improved last year.

Pratt is supposedly good in coverage which I like, but he's raw as he only started 1 year.

Maybe a guy like Jefferson improves too.

We have a lot of questionmarks at LB, and IF someone gets injured...we could be in really bad shape.

I'm hoping we can pick up a LB that is waived in free agency at some point.

We really need M.Jefferson to get his shit together and suprise all of us.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:36 PM)TKUHL Wrote: We really need M.Jefferson to get his shit together and suprise all of us.

Not trying to get on you man but good Lord he has had a rookie season under a suspect coach so seriously.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:54 PM)Mobster Wrote: Vinny? We don't have a guy named that on our roster.

At least we have some guys who can run now with Evans, Jefferson, and Pratt to go with Vigil. 

You say you follow this team and you did not know who Vinny was?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:40 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Not trying to get on you man but good Lord he has had a rookie season under a suspect coach so seriously.

Also Marvin was weird about starting Rookies on defense. Hell Atkins and Dunlap didn't start one game there rookie year. Vontaz wasn't even a starter until Howard got hurt in his rookie year.
J24

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So even with that, IF you fill the starting 3 spots with a LB you sign...IF one gets injured, you're in trouble.

Same can be said about our Oline, OT to be specific but that's another thread.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:53 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Also Marvin was weird about starting Rookies on defense. Hell Atkins and Dunlap didn't start one game there rookie year. Vontaz wasn't even a starter until Howard got hurt in his rookie year.

Starting is one thing, but how many snaps did Jefferson even play last season? I certainly don’t remember many.

I put that more on him than Marvin. He must be pretty bad in practice.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:42 PM)OSUfan Wrote: You say you follow this team and you did not know who Vinny was?

To you: Well he did say we don't have him on our roster and he was correct.

To the collective: I think there is a misconception about a misconception. Pratt is very good in coverage for a LB, just not DB-like. I don't think there were many in the draft with better cover skills. Plus dude had the best catch of the combine. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:40 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Not trying to get on you man but good Lord he has had a rookie season under a suspect coach so seriously.

I never said he sucked? Just kinda scary that he still couldn't see the field with the trash we had out there. We really need this guy to contribute this year. If he couldn't grasp the system last year he's unlikely to learn another before he season starts. It's just another reason why we need to be more active in FA, but we're not so here we are.
Reply/Quote
Don't forget big game Worley.

Time for some of these young lb's to step up.

I doubt we sign a vet lb. We are still a couple bodies short at OT.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well, you're just not going to fill 3-4-5 needs in a draft and we had several on the team. OL was huge and Williams was a great pick.

Right now, I guess our starters would be Preston Brown, Vigil, and Jordan Evans or Pratt.

Evans really struggled last year and he struggled particularly in coverage. Brown looked slow and bad in coverage last year. He's more of a run thumper. Granted he led the league in Tackles 2 years ago, so maybe the injuries were his issue. Vigil looked like he improved last year.

Pratt is supposedly good in coverage which I like, but he's raw as he only started 1 year.

Maybe a guy like Jefferson improves too.

We have a lot of questionmarks at LB, and IF someone gets injured...we could be in really bad shape.

I'm hoping we can pick up a LB that is waived in free agency at some point.

We will be relying heavily on coaching to assemble a competent LB crew out there.  It's not like it can't be done but we sure didn't seem just one LB away last year.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I want the starters to be Maliek-Vigil-Pratt, just so we can call them the MVP LB Corps
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Starting is one thing, but how many snaps did Jefferson even play last season? I certainly don’t remember many.

I put that more on him than Marvin. He must be pretty bad in practice.

He played some at DE but that was after Marvin became DC. 
J24

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 06:02 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I never said he sucked? Just kinda scary that he still couldn't see the field with the trash we had out there. We really need this guy to contribute this year. If he couldn't grasp the system last year he's unlikely to learn another before he season starts. It's just another reason  why we need to be more active in FA, but we're not so here we are.

So you are saying you had complete confidence in his coaching staff and you feel like the issue was completely him?

If you have listened to interviews with Lou Anarumo you will have heard that he wants to simplify the playbook and allow guys to go out there and play fast without being in constant thought about what is going on. One of the reasons the Patriots are as good as they are is because the play rather simple schemes on both sides of the ball but they execute them almost to perfection. I think this concept is what we are going to see on defense with Lou.

I think more of the issue with these young backers was a lack of quality coaching because the deficiencies were pretty much across the boards not with individuals.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 06:05 PM)McC Wrote: We will be relying heavily on coaching to assemble a competent LB crew out there.  It's not like it can't be done but we sure didn't seem just one LB away last year.

Exactly why I suspect coaching much more than personnel. As I have stated before I believe the modern era has passed Haslett by.
Reply/Quote
Getting some solid play from Malik Jefferson would be huge.

You guys know I am a "Never judge a player after just one season" type of guy, but the concern with Malik are the guys who kept him on the bench. Jefferson only played 11 snaps on defense. Our LBs were horrid and he still could not get any playing time.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 06:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Getting some solid play from Malik Jefferson would be huge.

You guys know I am a "Never judge a player after just one season" type of guy, but the concern with Malik are the guys who kept him on the bench.  Jefferson only played 11 snaps on defense.  Our LBs were horrid and he still could not get any playing time.

Did the other players keep him on the bench or did the coaching staff keep him on the bench? I know it has been argued by many that Lewis did not like to put rookies on the field. Also, was it a lack of coaching that kept him from taking a starting spot or at least getting more snaps?
Reply/Quote