Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We start 4 guys guys that would be backups...
(08-20-2017, 10:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We start 4 guys that would be backups on most playoff teams on our offensive line. I would take all 5 of the Steelers offensive lineman over our guys.

While we won't give up 100 sacks in a season as that doesn't happen...I expect them to give up 45+ and allow numerous pressures. Pressures are just as bad as sacks at times.

Also, the run blocking just isn't there.

Even IF Ced, Fisher, and Bodine do improve a lot...they'll still be somewhere in the 10 worst in the league at their position...and that's with improvement.

Teams are going to scout their weaknesses and attack it heavily during the regular season.

Can a team win a Super Bowl with a bad offensive line?

You have no clue if they would be backups, so stop guessing and being negative on something you dont even know anything about. I swear some fans think they are smarter than actual NFL paid coaches. 

Ninja
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The worst thing about the line is that it effects the offense so much more than people realize. Its not just the sacks or the pressures from opposing defenses, you have to scheme your entire offense in a way that masks just how bad the offensive line is.

If you didnt think the Bengals threw the ball downfield a lot last year, just wait until this year. Quick slant after quick slant. Its going to be bad.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 02:21 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This is why we are going to more spread sets.   Quick releases and working in space l.   To negate the rush and get us into winning scenarios for running the ball.  

Andy won't be sitting back there chucking it deep this year.

Which isn't a good thing. Your team is already handicapped before the game even starts. 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 09:09 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Green is not just a deep ball receiver. Neither is Eifert. Both can be thrown to deep, but their main skill sets rest all over the field.

And we don't know what Ross is yet, but his speed is just as deadly (if not more so) on quick screens and slants as it is on vertical routes.

Everyone loves the deep ball, but you don't need it to be an elite passing offense.

That is true, but its good to have both options. If you already have one option eliminated before the game even starts, its that much easier for teams to take away or game plan for your other and only option. 
Reply/Quote
A thread about the Oline. How original.

Take a look around the league at some folks that will be starting LT and other spots along the Oline and you might realize we are not as bad off as folks think.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 09:09 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Green is not just a deep ball receiver. Neither is Eifert. Both can be thrown to deep, but their main skill sets rest all over the field.

And we don't know what Ross is yet, but his speed is just as deadly (if not more so) on quick screens and slants as it is on vertical routes.

Everyone loves the deep ball, but you don't need it to be an elite passing offense.

In my mind, I have Ross envisioned to play similar to Antonio Brown, lethal from anywhere on the field.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 09:47 AM)Au165 Wrote: You can still get deep with bad lines, it happens every week in the NFL. You can use guys chipping, you can use play action, you can use waggles/boots, and realistically if you are doing enough short stuff you're going to slow down the rush by shear attrition and making them run to the ball. Everyone freaking out like we won't be able to get deep simply need to relax, they may not be good but it won't sink the season as long as the defense is good.....which is my bigger concern right now.

I predict there will be so many offensive holding penalties against the Bengals, that the offense will be 3 and out a record number of times this season. Sick
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 04:01 PM)Millhouse Wrote: You have no clue if they would be backups, so stop guessing and being negative on something you dont even know anything about. I swear some fans think they are smarter than actual NFL paid coaches. 

Ninja

Our coaches know these guys aren't starters. That's why they reworked the offense. It's not like they can go out and replace them all.

Which Bengals offensive lineman would start over current Steelers starters? Enlighten me as to how Bodine would start over Pouncey? How Ced would start over Villanueva? How Hopkins would start over DeCastro?  How Fisher would start over Gilbert?

And Foster might even start over Boling.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 05:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: A thread about the Oline. How original.

Take a look around the league at some folks that will be starting LT and other spots along the Oline and you might realize we are not as bad off as folks think.
I'll have what he's drinking...
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 05:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: A thread about the Oline. How original.

It's more than having 1 deficient lineman. We have 4 of them.

You can gameplan around having a bad LT. We have the WORST LT in the league. The Worst. We could give him TE help. But we have 3 other deficiencies.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 06:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our coaches know these guys aren't starters. That's why they reworked the offense. It's not like they can go out and replace them all.

Which Bengals offensive lineman would start over current Steelers starters? Enlighten me as to how Bodine would start over Pouncey? How Ced would start over Villanueva? How Hopkins would start over DeCastro?  How Fisher would start over Gilbert?

And Foster might even start over Boling.

Jeesh , I wasnt bein serious, hence the  Ninja . But maybe I should've used  Sarcasm instead.    

::
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Fisher played a hell of a game against an All-Pro caliber pass rusher in Justin Houston.
The Chiefs DL is very very talented.

Fisher looks like he is getting it. You hang with Houston all game, you almost assuredly lose a few.
Fish damn near shut him down outside of a rep or two and even then gave enough to prevent a sack.

Boling is still one of the best LG in the NFL. He's steady as a rock in pass pro and one of the better pulling guards at squaring up and sealing off defenders.

Hopkins is showing inexperience but the foundation is still there. His big issues come from lack of experience. If they don't look better week 8, then you panic.

The foundation for a good OL is in place.
Center and Left tackle look to be the biggest concerns and they can be huge.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 06:45 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Fisher played a hell of a game against an All-Pro caliber pass rusher in Justin Houston.

Fisher looks like he is getting it. You hang with Houston all game, you almost assuredly lose a few.
Fish damn near shut him down outside of a rep or two and even then gave enough to prevent a sack.

Boling is still one of the best LG in the NFL. He's steady as a rock in pass pro and one of the better pulling guards at squaring up and sealing off defenders.

Hopkins is showing inexperience but the foundation is still there. His big issues come from lack of experience. If they don't look better week 8, then you panic.

I am no expert or close to your expertise, But Houston is coming off injury. He stated he was at around 85 to 90% back to form right now. I saw Fisher getting no push on running plays against anyone on the KC defensive line nor Hudson either. The only time we ran right it was apulling Boling or Ced that opened the whole. In reality, our run blocking was poor in my opinion against KC.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 06:45 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Fisher played a hell of a game against an All-Pro caliber pass rusher in Justin Houston.

Realistically, the pass pro wasn't that bad against KC considering the talent they have.  The run blocking was more of a concern to me, but we saw less of Hewitt than against TB.  That could have been a goal for the game to establish the run without Hewitt against a tough front seven.  Since it didn't work too well, we'll have to see if the use him more in game three.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 02:23 AM)samhain Wrote: That's pretty shitty.  We have three players in Green, Eifert, and Ross that are on the team for the purpose of getting the deep ball.

They'll throw the ball deep plenty.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 03:04 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We got rid of our two best players Zeitler n Whit. How in the world were we going to get better or be better this year? Somone please explain this strategy

There's only one way to explain it. They believe who they have will get the job done. In season is the only time to tell if they're right or wrong. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 01:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You can. And if we drop back 40 times...we won't get pressured 40 times. We might get pressured 10 and sacked 4. You basically need a QB who won't make mistakes under pressure.

The line not being able to run block is a big worry for me too.

KC stacked the box and the Bengals didn't do anything scheme-wise to combat that. There were holes galore against TB. 

There will be more holes. (that's what she said)

Reply/Quote
Let me just say I'm still very concerned the offensive line is gonna be our downfall. I hope to see a bunch of improvement in game 3.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 06:05 PM)Derrick Wrote: I'll have what he's drinking...

(08-21-2017, 06:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's more than having 1 deficient lineman. We have 4 of them.

You can gameplan around having a bad LT. We have the WORST LT in the league. The Worst. We could give him TE help. But we have 3 other deficiencies.

I've been around JN a day or two and I have seen some unbelievable phenomenon in that time; however, this year's reaction to our Oline might set a new standard; in which I rate the absurd.

Russell Bodine has improved every year he has played and enters his 4th year as a capable starter. Football outsiders rated us the 6th most efficient Oline last year when running between the guards and a lot of that can be attributed to Bodine.

Clint Boling is a borderline ProBowl LG

Andre Smith is a veteran Oline who has never had questions about performance; he just cannot fight off the injury bug.

Trey Hopkins is a strong long-armed interior lineman that has looked good this preseason

Jake Fischer has looked solid ever since he came into the league and is looking very good at RT

Ced O has battled at LT; however, he has kept his QB clean

This doesn't mention some of our higher-rated backups (Westerman, Deilman...)

I honestly do not what is causing the reaction that is occurring with about every third thread started in JN (our oline stinks). I get Whit was a fan fav; however, we offered him basically the same contract LA did (per NFL.com) and Cleveland gave Z crazy money.

Get behind the guys, have high hopes for the guys, root for the guys, you just might find your day is a little brighter
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 07:44 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am no expert or close to your expertise, But Houston is coming off injury. He stated he was at around 85 to 90% back to form right now. I saw Fisher getting no push on running plays against anyone on the KC defensive line nor Hudson either. The only time we ran right it was apulling Boling or Ced that opened the whole. In reality, our run blocking was poor in my opinion against KC.

We couldn't run either direction without pulling. 

Houston at 90% is still better than most of the pass rushers in the NFL. 
He's a legit stud. If he played on a "bigger" team or had the draft profile of a Khalil Mack, he'd be a household name like Mack, Miller or Watt. 
Reply/Quote