Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We still calling for Turner/Lou's head?
(10-09-2020, 11:51 AM)bengaloo Wrote: I'm not sold on Turner anymore. Lou its hard to say yet because had 0 good LBs last year and a bunch of young ones this year, and we are so thin at DL right now. I like what Lou did in the offseason. He brought good players here and drafted some promising ones, but the jury is still out.

Not so much with Turner. I really cant say much about him right now other that he should've known Redmond was better than Johnson and Price.

Price was another of Tobin’s awful draft picks and was drafted before Turner’s tenure. Turner benched his ass and moved Hopkins to center which was a good move. Turner knows Price blows that’s why they signed Xavier Su’a-Filo. Redmond still isn’t good we’ve been down this road many times not like we cut some stud. The Bengals don’t wanna pay good free agent linemen Turner is playing the hand he’s been dealt.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 11:17 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We’ll be right back to wanting at least Lou gone when Lamar goes off Sunday.

This is exactly what I'm thinking too. With the talent we have faced so far (outside of Browns RBs which are very good) we are letting up way too many rushing yards, injuries be damned as an excuse, it's just unacceptable. Once Ravens put up over 250+ yds on the ground against us Sunday Lou will be smeared again and maybe rightfully so. I was not a fan of the Turner hire and he's doing nothing there so far to change my mind, I expect unless something miraculous happens this week with Oline play he'll continue to standout as a mistake.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 11:48 AM)J24 Wrote: Lou has had mostly produced positive games for us dating back to the Raiders game of last season. This season 3 out of the 4 games this year have been good enough to get this team victories and they have been doing it without thier best player in Geno Atkins. As it stands now he should still have a job.

Turner should be fired if the offensive line keep playing the way they have played in the first 4 games. At this point neither the run game or pass protection is up to snuff.

Geno is not going to be the best player on this defense anymore when he comes back. That’s Bates at this point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Maybe Burrow is a better fit for Zac's offense than Dalton was. I give us a punchers chance against Ravens
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 01:20 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Price was another of Tobin’s awful draft picks and was drafted before Turner’s tenure. Turner benched his ass and moved Hopkins to center which was a good move. Turner knows Price blows that’s why they signed Xavier Su’a-Filo. Redmond still isn’t good we’ve been down this road many times not like we cut some stud. The Bengals don’t wanna pay good free agent linemen Turner is playing the hand he’s been dealt.

I'm certainly not taking up for Tobin and the OL draft picks. He's been terrible at it for a long time now. You have some good points, Redmond is not some stud of a G, but he looks better than what we put out there before him especially in the run game, which the Jags have done well against until us. I'm not happy Turner was instrumental in signing Hart to a high contract. I know Hart is run blocking pretty good, but his pass pro sucks. Jordan gets me a bit too. It seems like he's a project, and as others have mentioned, he and Johnson seem a bit tall for G. Turners confidence in the OL after last seasons improvement in the running game was a bit much for me tho. We have sucked so far. He's not developing guys like Jordan, who in his second year should be showing more, imo. Just not high on Turner at this point, but he could win me back. Honestly I hope he does, because we need to improve now.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 04:28 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I'm certainly not taking up for Tobin and the OL draft picks. He's been terrible at it for a long time now. You have some good points, Redmond is not some stud of a G, but he looks better than what we put out there before him especially in the run game, which the Jags have done well against until us. I'm not happy Turner was instrumental in signing Hart to a high contract. I know Hart is run blocking pretty good, but his pass pro sucks. Jordan gets me a bit too. It seems like he's a project, and as others have mentioned, he and Johnson seem a bit tall for G. Turners confidence in the OL after last seasons improvement in the running game was a bit much for me tho. We have sucked so far. He's not developing guys like Jordan, who in his second year should be showing more, imo. Just not high on Turner at this point, but he could win me back. Honestly I hope he does, because we need to improve now.

I hear you I’m not sold on Turner either I think it could be a mix of bad talent evaluation from Tobin along with bad coaching. I really hope Jordan pans out we can’t afford to miss on LG with all our needs. Either way we need to address the offensive line big time in free agency even if that mean paying a guard , got to protect the franchise QB.
Reply/Quote
Until they beat a top team, they are what they are: the least accomplished staff in the league. I'm of the mind that the FO should be actively searching for a conventional GM and a HC candidate. I'll continue to think that way unless proven wrong beyond a shadow of a doubt that Taylor and crew are above average NFL coaches. 
Reply/Quote
Fans are fickle. How many "Anybody but Marvin" folks wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with this roster?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 04:43 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I hear you I’m not sold on Turner either I think it could be a mix of bad talent evaluation from Tobin along with bad coaching. I really hope Jordan pans out we can’t afford to miss on LG with all our needs.  Either way we need to address the offensive line big time in free agency even if that mean paying a guard , got to protect the franchise QB.

Yeah we really do need to address it in FA. The draft too. We really need to build a great line around Burrow, and Mixon too honestly. We could be a great team if we did moving forward.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 01:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Geno is not going to be the best player on this defense anymore when he comes back. That’s Bates at this point.

Bates has to consistently bring it week to week before I give him best player on defense over a HOF like Geno.  
With that being said at the end of the season you very well could  be right but i want to see it for more than 4 games.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 04:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Fans are fickle. How many "Anybody but Marvin" folks wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with this roster?

No thx.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 04:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Fans are fickle. How many "Anybody but Marvin" folks wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with this roster?

No thanks, had about 10 years to much as it was.
Reply/Quote

I get what your saying I’m not sold on this coaching staff yet but I’ll give them the year. I rather fail trying to find a coach that can get us over the hump versus having Marvin for life with the same results every season. This defense was horrible under Marvin at the end, the offensive line was bad and he couldn’t get anything out of Ross either.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 05:30 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I get what your saying I’m not sold on this coaching staff yet but I’ll give them the year. I rather fail trying to find a coach that can get us over the hump versus having Marvin for life with the same results every season.  This defense was horrible under Marvin at the end, the offensive line was bad and he couldn’t get anything out of Ross either.

I was gung-ho on giving Zac and rest the entire year until they come out of the gate completely crapping the bed on Oline and Defense and weren't actively trying to make a real substantial change after touting all offseason that "these are their Oline guys and we brought in new guys on D". But the biggest thing that was making me not have patience for Zac was the appearance of no game plan at all. The SD game I understand as there's no real tape and first game of the year but then after the Browns game I changed my thought process. I needed to see him at least try and have a game plan and not a try to run for first poessions or two and then make Burrow throw and get killed by shotty Oline. I saw change in Philly (at least to game plan) and it seemed like we actually had a game plan for Jags too. So now if there's at least a plan (even if it doesn't work) I'm back to giving Zac patience for the rest of the year.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 05:59 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: I was gung-ho on giving Zac and rest the entire year until they come out of the gate completely crapping the bed on Oline and Defense and weren't actively trying to make a real substantial change after touting all offseason that "these are their Oline guys and we brought in new guys on D". But the biggest thing that was making me not have patience for Zac was the appearance of no game plan at all. The SD game I understand as there's no real tape and first game of the year but then after the Browns game I changed my thought process. I needed to see him at least try and have a game plan and not a try to run for first poessions or two and then make Burrow throw and get killed by shotty Oline. I saw change in Philly (at least to game plan) and it seemed like we actually had a game plan for Jags too. So now if there's at least a plan (even if it doesn't work) I'm back to giving Zac patience for the rest of the year.

That's the thing with me as well. It seems he/they are starting to get it a little bit ? But I need to see more. I'm not saying they have to go on a 5-1 run (would be great). But I want to see them having chemistry, sustaining some drives, scoring in the red zone, etc. 

And I want to see the defense stop giving up so many 3rd and longs, stop giving up so many gash plays, start tackling like they're above Jr. High level.

In short the jury is still out for me.
Reply/Quote
Even when I was calling for their heads, I admitted there is not much we can do to upgrade midseason.

But a 5 game losing streak is a real possibility. And whomever made the OL decisions should go barring some sort of miracle turnaround.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 07:09 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Even when I was calling for their heads, I admitted there is not much we can do to upgrade midseason.

But a 5 game losing streak is a real possibility. And whomever made the OL decisions should go barring some sort of miracle turnaround.

I would usually agree but wade Phillips and Kris richards are sitting on their couch and I have zero doubts both would be significant upgrades to Lou immediately.
Reply/Quote
Are "We" still calling for their heads? I'll let you know in a few weeks.. Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 10:55 AM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Like the saying goes, "winning fixes everything", are we now cool with Turner/Lou? I haven't seen any real badmouthing them this week. Before the Jags win it was like both of them had run a train on everyone's sister, people were ready to burn their houses down. I just want to know if I'm still supposed to be mad or not?

This is a 3 win coaching staff. Don't forget that. They've yet to beat a team with a winning record. They've been bad against bad teams. They've looked extremely bad against good teams.

This team needs many more wins for this staff to be worthy of keeping around.

Just realize that Marvin got 6 wins out of a team that started Driskel for 5 games in a season that also lost AJ for something like 7 games and it was the pre-injury AJ, not the slow, rusty AJ. The current roster is better than what Marvin had that year so this staff should have more than 6 wins if they are worth keeping.

Reply/Quote
Need to also note that a normal Pre-Season is over.
Guys should be gelling now and we should see more balanced games going forward with people more in line with knowing where they should be and what they should be doing in their respective schemes. Ours is young and has quite a few new faces, so relax a bit and let them grow together and learn to trust each other.

I still suspect we will finish about .500.
Reply/Quote