Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We still haven't seen Burrow's ceiling yet
Love Burrow but he still definitely has plenty of room to grow.

It's still like pulling teeth to get him to throw the ball away when needing to live to see another play.

Last week Joe did throw one away while running toward the Bengals bench. He had to be instructed by the entire bench to do so before running out of bounds for a loss of yardage because he looked so damn awkward when doing so.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 09:38 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Love Burrow but he still definitely has plenty of room to grow.

It's still like pulling teeth to get him to throw the ball away when needing to live to see another play.

Last week Joe did throw one away while running toward the Bengals bench. He had to be instructed by the entire bench to do so before running out of bounds for a loss of yardage because he looked so damn awkward when doing so.

Somewhere in Favre's third season, he threw one away into the stands after a scramble and received a standing ovation. That's when he "got it".
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 08:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The guys that don't have to depend on a rocket arm to be good generally last longer.

It’s actually interesting when you think of Brees, Brady, Manning, Rivers, Ben and none really were big arm guys. Ben was the closest but it was actually his ability to shake off tackles and make plays off script that was his defining ability.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 10:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: It’s actually interesting when you think of Brees, Brady, Manning, Rivers, Ben and none really were big arm guys. Ben was the closest but it was actually his ability to shake off tackles and make plays off script that was his defining ability.

I've always considered Montana as the true prototype of this style of passing. The closest that I've ever seen to him was Chad Pennington until he got hurt and he was never the same after that. He never had a chance to last long enough to have the Montana clutch moments but he placed a lot of floaters in the middle of four or five defenders in his short prime.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Run away!
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 09:56 AM)Earendil Wrote: I've read that 87% of statistics on the Internet are made up.

'60% of the time, that 87% is right every time'

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Aaron Rodgers took a few years of being a starter to really become an elite qb. He also sat his first several years before starting.

Of course there are other qbs that broke out earlier, but most qbs break out around year 3, and continually get better.

Drew Brees was another late bloomer. Manning took a few years to become Peyton Manning.

I think it’s safe to say that Burrow has only reached 70% of his potential. He’s still got a lot to learn and improve on. He’s smart. He’ll continue to improve. The line improving game to game year to year will do wonders as well.
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow has all the tools to be a HOF QB. If the Bengals surround him with good players the sky is the limit.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 03:15 PM)M.W. Wrote: Joe Burrow has all the tools to be a HOF QB.  If the Bengals surround him with good players the sky is the limit.

Damn, long time no see brother... Rock On
Reply/Quote
We saw Joe Burrow’s “college ceiling” in 2019 and it was the most spectacular year any college quarterback ever had culminating in his record breaking NCAA Championship performance. It was amazing to watch.

Even for a #1OA pick, the “pro ceiling” is rarely as high; Carson Palmer comes immediately to mind. Joe Burrow may fall in the same category but I don’t think so; he will most likely be more successful than Carson. I’m just glad the run game is starting to take shape because it means the Bengals don’t have to rely on Joe Burrow to put the team on his back. That’s unrealistic for any quarterback.

From what I’ve seen in 2021 the Cincinnati offense is best when balanced between pass and run — with more runs than passes. In the blowouts against Detroit, Las Vegas, and Pittsburgh the Bengals rushed far more than they passed; only in the big win against Baltimore did they pass more which was smart on that particular day because the Ravens had no answer for Ja’Marr Chase.

Right now I am happy to see the Bengals playing like it’s 2009 again with solid rushing, passing when the opposing secondary bites on the run, and playing stout defense. That recipe resulted in a 6-0 record in the AFC North and right now the Bengals are 3-1; I can easily visualize a 5-1 division record in 2021.
Reply/Quote
I didn't read the entire thread but my 2 cents:

JB lacks experience at the pro level but that's about it. He should hit his stride next season.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 02:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: When rating Quarterbacks, the number to be used is 70. Thou shalt rate at 70 and 70 is the number that shalt be rated. Thou shalt not rate to 71, not should you rate to 69, unless of course rating on to 70.

Burrow turned me into a newt.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 08:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Burrow turned me into a newt.

“I got better.”
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 08:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The guys that don't have to depend on a rocket arm to be good generally last longer.

Strongly disagree. Just ask this guy:

[Image: peyton-manning.jpg]

Or sexy Rexy Grossman.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Was just over at JoeyB's house and saw his ceiling.....

[Image: acrylic-false-ceiling-500x500.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 02:34 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Aaron Rodgers took a few years of being a starter to really become an elite qb. He also sat his first several years before starting.

Of course there are other qbs that broke out earlier, but most qbs break out around year 3, and continually get better.

Drew Brees was another late bloomer. Manning took a few years to become Peyton Manning.

I think it’s safe to say that Burrow has only reached 70% of his potential. He’s still got a lot to learn and improve on. He’s smart. He’ll continue to improve. The line improving game to game year to year will do wonders as well.

Peyton was #4 in passer rating, #4 in YPA and #7 in TD% in his second season. He burst onto the scene fairly quickly. The league was a little different in 1999, so he wasn't putting up the numbers that we are used to seeing today but Peyton became really good, really quick.  Aaron Rodgers took off in his second season of starting as well. Top five in most major passing categories. That jump that these guys made in that second season isn't that far off from what Burrow is doing now, to be honest. 

#9 in passer rating
#5 in TD %
#2 in YPA

I think towards the end of next season, barring any major mishaps, we'll have a good idea of where Burrow is going to land. I think he is going to be a top five guy by end of 2022, if he doesn't finish there this season.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2021, 12:31 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Peyton was #4 in passer rating, #4 in YPA and #7 in TD% in his second season. He burst onto the scene fairly quickly. The league was a little different in 1999, so he wasn't putting up the numbers that we are used to seeing today but Peyton became really good, really quick.  Aaron Rodgers took off in his second season of starting as well. Top five in most major passing categories. That jump that these guys made in that second season isn't that far off from what Burrow is doing now, to be honest. 

#9 in passer rating
#5 in TD %
#2 in YPA

I think towards the end of next season, barring any major mishaps, we'll have a good idea of where Burrow is going to land. I think he is going to be a top five guy by end of 2022, if he doesn't finish there this season.

Oddly his decision making has been suspect at times this year. I think he'll learn and come around. I didn't see him panicking so much last year under pressure. He's thrown some ugly picks trying to avoid sacks. Part of that is the pass protection needs to get better, part of it is that he needs to be sharper with his decision making. Sometimes it's not a bad play to fall down and take a sack, or throw the ball away.

Rodgers and Manning also each sat for at least a year, and neither had a major injury right off the bat. It's tough to say when Burrow will break out, but my guess would be next year. He'll have a full year under his belt and a full offseason to focus on his game instead of rehab. 

I think we can be an elite team next year. Burrow has been good, but not great this year. The line has improved, but aren't quite there yet. The defense has improved drastically, but aren't consistent yet. It would be nice to see a playoff win though. 
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 02:18 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Oddly his decision making has been suspect at times this year. I think he'll learn and come around. I didn't see him panicking so much last year under pressure. He's thrown some ugly picks trying to avoid sacks. Part of that is the pass protection needs to get better, part of it is that he needs to be sharper with his decision making. Sometimes it's not a bad play to fall down and take a sack, or throw the ball away.

Rodgers and Manning also each sat for at least a year, and neither had a major injury right off the bat. It's tough to say when Burrow will break out, but my guess would be next year. He'll have a full year under his belt and a full offseason to focus on his game instead of rehab. 

I think we can be an elite team next year. Burrow has been good, but not great this year. The line has improved, but aren't quite there yet. The defense has improved drastically, but aren't consistent yet. It would be nice to see a playoff win though. 

Peyton started from day one.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 06:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Peyton started from day one.

My bad. I guess I remembered that wrong.
Reply/Quote
He’s starting to lose me with some of his dumb turnovers. Starting to give
Me Carson vibes.
Reply/Quote