Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
***Week 17 GameDay Thread - Bills @ Bengals***
(01-02-2023, 11:37 PM)Foolishpride Wrote: They could and should.

There are several options: 

1) Replay from here later (maybe move the Bills/Bengals game back next week, but harder with POs looming). 

2) Call it a tie (somewhat problematic with Cincy up). 

3) Bills forfeit (totally unfair to Buffalo). 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2023, 11:42 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: That brings up something I hadn't thought of.  If a rib(s) broke, then it is possible his lung was punctured.

I remember a soccer player died after taking a knee to his chest. This is clearly something similar
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2023, 11:39 PM)grampahol Wrote: For a completely practical matter there are millions upon millions of dollars bet on this game. TV network contractual obligations, gambling obligations, 50,000 people who paid for tickets and on and on.. Who is going to be responsible for all the money if they stop the game?  Millions will be left up in the air. 
I realize most people don't care about the money, but if you bet say...$100,000 or more on this game and it's cancelled wouldn't you be asking a few questions? 

So play the game tomorrow.  Hell, if someone put $100k on the Bills, I'd wager they are hoping the NFL doesn't force them to go right back out there and play ASAP.  Then again, the Bengals players don't look like they'd have their hearts in it right now, either.

Yeah, money is involved, but Burrow and Allen alone are going to have like a billion bucks between them eventually.  This is prime time, too...there aren't 10 other games on right now to distract people.  The world is watching this, and I'd wager that's why the NFL is sweating and wondering what to do.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2023, 11:39 PM)Spider Wrote: Not sure of a rule
Im sure the NFL has something in place for this exact situation

You’re overestimating the NFL
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2023, 11:42 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Continuing play would be insensitive.

I'm not sure how they can go on with a guy fighting for his life ? It seems from what we know.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2023, 11:42 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: That brings up something I hadn't thought of.  If a rib(s) broke, then it is possible his lung was punctured.
Im more concerned about his head getting popped back.  If his heart stopped because of some sort of force knocking it out of rhythm, then he can survive that, but a traumatic brain injury I'm not so sure about, esp with a C1-C3 fracture I'm not so sure about.  Just shocked and saddened.  Hope to God he makes it through this
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2023, 11:45 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: You’re overestimating the NFL

Yes, I highly doubt it
Reply/Quote

Punctured lung wouldn't cause you to collapse backwards like that. You also don't treat a broken rib and collapsed lung with CPR. You would do more damage than good.

You have two lungs. You would be short of breath, breathing would be a labor, in a ton of pain, but not collapsed and needing CPR. You would be conscious.

I don't think it was really hit related at all, and more a health condition.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Any one else find it insanely tacky that they keep rolling these ***** ads.

I get it, but **** off.
Reply/Quote

Didn't that happen before to a TE or something?
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
They won't play any more tonight. It would be a PR nightmare for the league. It will be a postponement or cancellation. Yes, huge playoff implications, but there is no way forward that would be worth playing.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2023, 11:45 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I remember a soccer player died after taking a knee to his chest. This is clearly something similar

Adrenaline probably kept him moving enough to get up, then just shut down.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2023, 11:39 PM)grampahol Wrote: For a completely practical matter there are millions upon millions of dollars bet on this game. TV network contractual obligations, gambling obligations, 50,000 people who paid for tickets and on and on.. Who is going to be responsible for all the money if they stop the game?  Millions will be left up in the air. 
I realize most people don't care about the money, but if you bet say...$100,000 or more on this game and it's cancelled wouldn't you be asking a few questions? 

It's called gambling for a reason
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
If they call the game at 7-3, Bengals I suppose get the win. There is no rescheduling at this point and we have to play the Ravens Sunday and I think Buffalo has the Patriots. Can't replay this game and play that one on Sunday.
Reply/Quote
Someone is going to get hurt if they play. Someone is not going to be going at the same speed.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
My GF is scanning online about this young man's status. As part of the CPR, it appears that the defibrillator was used.
Reply/Quote
The NFL needs to shut this game down until a later date. Prob not going to happen because of the $$$$$ involved, but that is what SHOULD happen.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2023, 11:46 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Any one else find it insanely tacky that they keep rolling these ***** ads.

I get it, but **** off.

ESPN sure as heck isn’t gonna lose any money in this situation.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2023, 11:43 PM)swilson3828 Wrote: IMO the way it looked, him going down during the tackle, getting back up, the collapsing has all the signs of a coupe contra coupe traumatic brain injury.  The first thing that same to mind is a basil skull fracture, or some sort of traumatic injury to the cervical spine.  Just the way it looked has all of the earmarks of bleeding in the brain.  God I hope and pray I'm not accurate.

I think bleeding into the brain takes a bit longer than that. This is a heart issue, probably undiagnosed 
[Image: 12417656_10208481126928364_5227831409754...e=5702BE1D]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2023, 11:46 PM)Nepa Wrote: They won't play any more tonight. It would be a PR nightmare for the league. It will be a postponement or cancellation. Yes, huge playoff implications, but there is no way forward that would be worth playing.

Yeah gotta cancel, those guys shouldn't play even if you made them.  Praying for this young man.
Reply/Quote